polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Im breaking this out of my other thread

High poly
newpic.png

Low poly wire
wirenew.png

I did a quick flatten map bake before uving just to catch any errors. Obviously some floating geometry didnt export right but itll all be fixed

Im also unaware of the texture standard for fps weapons, i know 2048 is good for the texture but what about normals? Ive baked out both:

bake.png

bake2.png

Crits before uving?

Replies

• StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    I'd like a bigger wire which is not see-through and not triangulated to better judge the topology.

Having built alot of guns at work with similar polybudgets i can say already that there is potential for better poly usage. For a firstperson weapon you want to chamfer the edges of the sights so they appear less blocky when you aim.

Also your edges are still very hard. Looks almost like you are not using a normal map. You want the nice curved edges that catch nice highlights.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent been making guns very long but on every gun i seem to under shoot my poly limit by a good 1-2k

Heres the wire
    wrie.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Curve the top of the stock! It'll be right in the player's face in first person view.

Also, you've got a lot of unneeded segments on your low poly, like above the trigger. And your flash hider is still wrong.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats wrong with the flash hider? I modeled it the same as it is in racers reference he showed me...

And im very used to modeling box like and keeping everything equal, what should i do with the un-needed segments?

And will do to the stock.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    also why did you put so many polies in the trigger? that's an area a player is very likely to never see or just a fraction of a second on reload!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh for some reason thats how it rendered out, theres maybe only 12 polys on the trigger.
  • an aggressive napkin
    Looks alright, The highpoly should really have softer edges to get the normal's detail onto the lowpoly perfectly. And this is plastic so they should be softer anyway
  • CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get why this scene is 4100 tris, also I feel like you have some technical errors in your low poly mesh, you might want to take a look at that.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting the texturing, heres my base color and the final bake in marmo:

texwip.png

Heres the normals and the uv mapping
    umpnormals.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    There are larger things at play here than your poly count. You need to really sit down, take the time to address these areas, and not rush through things. I am only writing this because, simply put, you still do not seem to grasp the idea of making a quality asset. Most everyone here on this thread and the last have given you sound technical advice, which you should follow, but before you do any of that, you should address the points I've made below.

• Become overly self critical - You have a willingness to make art for games. That much is clear. What you do not have is the ability to self-gauge your own work by being self critical. I'll repeat it again as I stated in the previous thread; you have to detach yourself from the work you complete as your own and view it from the perspective of someone else. Simply put, no employer will want to hire you if you cannot critique your own work with the utmost scrutiny.
    • Observe, create, re-observe, tweak - Reference is the key to making a successful asset such as this. Sometimes you can do guess work, so long as it is logical guess work, but for assets such as weapons or items that need to feel very life like, you need to really, really, really pay attention to your reference. You have it right there in front of you, so you have no excuses for it to be wrong. This goes hand in hand with being self-critical.
    • Learn to do it the RIGHT way - You can't get it "close", call that part finished, and move onto the next. Why? Because you can't. That's all there is to it. Learn to do it the right way, no matter how long it takes you. You will have many failures, but you will also see better results in the end. This is only going to work if you make use of the two points above. Topology, poly distribution, UV mapping, texturing; these are all pieces to a much larger puzzle that takes endless practice to get right.
    • Slow Down - You are moving way too fast. Slow down, and take note of the point above. You will get faster with time, you just aren't there yet, and that is okay. If you take it down a bit, you'll be able to complete the previous point with a greater understanding. THEN you can speed it up a bit.
    • Lose the ego, drop the excuses, and listen to critique. - There is an evident sense of pride at play with your posts with repeated excuses as to why something was made the way was. If you don't kill your own ego with self criticism, then you will have a greater sense of failure and frustration later on down the road. Excuses are meant for those that refuse to account for, or accept, their own failures. LISTEN to what people are telling you. Most everyone here knows what they are doing or are willing to learn. You seem like you just want to get it done however you feel it should be done, and the industry just doesn't work like that. A fine example of this is how you just completely ignored most everyone's critique and dived right into a bad UV map and an OS bake.

Try working on these ideas first before working on all the technical crit you have received.

This may seem a bit harsh, but I promise you that if you really try to work on these things, you will see yourself grow much more as an artist. The unfortunate side of this post is that I really feel you will completely ignore it.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When i accept critique i try see if i can work it into the existing model, if i cannot then i try to not make the same mistake again on my next.

At the end of my other thread i fixed what racer suggested, and i didn't really get any critiques after that other than the edges shouldn't be so hard. So i told myself "ok, im going to try not to do that again".

In this thread someone said the flash hider was still wrong, but i don't see how it is because its been changed twice, both using reference. You can't say im ignoring critique, because my uvs look alot better and i have changed alot of stuff on this model due to critique. On my ak i got so much critique that i decided to just ditch the model and try to make another one alot better, and to assure that i posted a wip thread, which i don't normally do. Would it help if i posted WIP's of my uving from now on? I don't really see people doing that so i didnt do it. Ive also been accepting critique for the ump for 1-2 days and changing as much as i can. I like to keep working but still leave room for critique changes, because im trying to learn as much as i can and the only way i can do that is by practicing ALOT. And i tend to finish a gun in about 3 days.

Ill have to agree with your third bullet the most. I have a tendency to do that and ill admit it. But ever since i started getting into weapon modeling a month ago i've been trying to push myself to make it the right way. And you're right, i feel alot better about it in the end.

Why don't you tell me whats specifically wrong with it?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its pretty darn important to be able to go back and fix things, such as the sharpness of edges, before you bake the whole thing down.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure. The barrel is different than the reference because of a suggestion by racer, which showed reference of a different barrel variant.

bbob, it really (for me) depends on the edge. If it was maybe 2 or 3 main edges that were too sharp i'd probably fix them. But im assuming that they're meaning the overall edges of the model, in which case ill try not to repeat.

gungund.png
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    re-read my post bro, you missed a lot of stuff

make sure you view a LOT of references. every angle, not just the side. with weapons we have this luxury so make the best of it
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was using http://www.pixagogo.com/2778744214 as references. Before i model i usually go through and find the most complex shapes and break down how ill make them, then i begin modeling side by side with reference.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    frell wrote: »
    When i accept critique i try see if i can work it into the existing model, if i cannot then i try to not make the same mistake again on my next.

I like to keep working but still leave room for critique changes, because im trying to learn as much as i can and the only way i can do that is by practicing ALOT.

*insert face palm smiley*

Do you not see how contradictory those two statements are?

I've already taken my time to help you out, and Racer gave you an excellent post with really great reference and pointers, which as he said, you overlooked a lot. So why should I go back and tell you what's wrong if it is overwhelmingly apparent that someone else already has AND that you can't critique yourself enough to make it right?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, well right now id like to know more about where i stand because you guys sure are good at making me feel like i might be falling down the wrong flight of stairs :poly122:. Here are all the guns i have made since i started making guns, which was about a month ago.

Colt_1911_Pract__by_Frell262.png
    Lever_action_game_rifle_by_Frell262.jpg

Thompson_SMG_by_Frell262.png
    newnew.png

And heres my current gun. Im having some trouble with the specular because im really only used to metal.
    tdxchvjkn.png

How is my progression so far, and am i behind / ahead for my 5th gun?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    there is definitely progress, but by not going back and fixing things you are not readily applying critiques to your art work and that is a key thing in a production environment. there is no "I wont do it on the next one"

When you are making game assets for a living, if it needs to be fixed, fix it. Thats the main thing I think people are trying to convey to you and something you need to get used to, I know its annoying to go back and fix/redo things but the end result after some polishing is usually 2-5x better than the 1st pass.

when you are starting out there is the urge to produce a ton of art really quickly but if you slow down a bit you might have fewer pieces but they will be higher quality. qaulity trumps quantity every time when it comes to portfolios, I would rather hire someone with 3-5 awesome peices than someone who has 20 so so pieces, and thats what people are trying to help you out with here.

if you only apply critiques to you next model there isnt really any point in in depth crits like racer's where he lists a ton of inaccuracies, so you will find less and less people crit your work. ass pats dont help you improve, applying critiques and listening to feedback do and is a critical skill companies look for.

that said, your UMP is lookin nice, the UVs are better than the last one but could still benefit from a major overhaul/tightening up. the time it would take to re-do them and get back to where you are now wouldnt be too bad, you already have a decent highpoly and thats half the work on this piece done already, shoot for the high quality result in all aspects of it man!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. I think what i've done is jumped into uving and the low poly way to fast, as firebert said. I know you're getting tired of hearing this but on my next model ill have a couple more days open for crits and fixes on the high poly before i start removing loops and making the low poly.

Just for future knowledge, if i collapse the Unwrap UVW modifier and then add new geometry to the model via attach, will it mess anything up?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i see what you guys mean. Im going to try not to do that anymore by waiting longer for critiques and then fixing them before i go any further.

I figured the handle gets covered up by a hand 99.9% of the time :s
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I can understand that there may be technical errors but that latest one looks pretty kickass.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is the hinge and latch and all the nice shapes from the iconic UMP stock? view more refs and dont rush!

00021.jpg
    How is my progression so far, and am i behind / ahead for my 5th gun?

who cares? people are all different in the speed that they progress. slow down and make a few really nice items before trying to speed up anything. technique over speed!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    who cares? people are all different in the speed that they progress. slow down and make a few really nice items before trying to speed up anything. technique over speed!

I just want to sort of say something in addition to this, rushing isn't the same as speed. I'm not saying you're rushing, but there is a very very important difference here. In a studio environment, rushing to get the job done and making lots of mistakes is going to cost you a lot more time when your art director gives you a huge list of revisions that you need to fix. Slowing down and doing things methodically and carefully, and not rush, is virtually always going to be FASTER.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone want to help me pick my next gun? :P
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to capture the roughish surface of the polymer (plastic bits), which is should be way less shiny than the metal. Also, do some small scratches and wear on exposed edges, especially on the picatinny rails, as they would probably have seen a rotation of attatchments. This should be accentuated on the specular, even if the paint is intact, because it gets polished before it wears off.

Reference on the difference of materials
    http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0077.JPG

Ref for worn edges on guns:
    http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/guns/3425rclose.JPG
    http://gunpics.net/uk/no4mk1/No4mk1_010.JPG
    http://gunpics.net/uk/no4mk1/No4mk1_013.JPG
    http://gunpics.net/uk/no4mk1/No4mk1_018.JPG

Oh and for the love of everything you cherish, do not hesitate to go back and change stuff, it is a crucial part of being a professional digital artist of any kind. No matter how closely you are paying attention to detail and accuracy, there will always be something you miss, and your superior will most likely spot it and demand it changed. So please, for your own good, change that awful attitude at once.

EDIT: You are calling that result finished after two days of work? I could understand if you were struggling to get it done, but considering the time you put into this "quality", you are definitely selling yourself short.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone want to help me pick my next gun? :P

Here is a suggestion: HK UMP .45

Do as the other says and get this one done properly, if you start another thread people wont reply cause they are tired of you not listening.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    umpr.png

I sorta do feel like remaking the stock right and then fixing up the uvs.

So since im probably going to do that, what else should i fix in the high poly while im at it?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've noticed you go from Modeling to Texturing really quickly. Stay on one gun and make it perfect, mate. Look at all the crits you're getting! =]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id also like to re-ask if attaching new geometry to the low poly mesh will mess up any uvs i already have? Assuming i collapsed the Unwrap UVW modifier.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frell: You're showing some great ambition, but hopefully i can give you a little advice so you can avoid needing to start over entirely on your next asset. What you want to do is break it down into stages.

EDIT: 0. Gather reference, study, plan, and think about all of the shapes and how you will go about constructing them.

1. Highpoly, post multiple wips of this, get feed back and implement it(possibly multiple rounds of feedback) before you even think about starting your low. Very important to listen to suggestions on what will/wont bake well.

2. Lowpoly, post multiple wips of this, get feed back and implement it(possibly multiple rounds of feedback) before you even think about starting your low. Pay very close attention to suggestions relation to polygon usage, and anything that has to do with making edits so that you'll get a good bake. You may still want to tweak your highpoly a little bit during this stage, to make sure things will line up as accurately as possible. Sometimes you'll want to nudge over a piece on your high to be able to simplify your low.

3. Now its time to do a TEST bake. This is not your final bake, you will want to use temporary uvs. Here i like to have "proper" uvs unwraped, however it simply is not the final packing for me, just make a copy of these and do an auto-pack, its good enough for a test bake. With our test bake we want to make sure that all of the details are projecting accurately(minimum skewing or wavy lines) that we have enough lowpoly geometry to support the shape, that our highpoly details arent too fine to read properly(ie that we have enough pixels to represent all of our details). And of course that there arent any smoothing errors or other technical problems(very important with tangent normals).

This is the last time you will ever want to touch your highpoly mesh, make any final tweaks now. Post for feedback and implement anything else still unresolved, this is pretty much the no-going-back point. Any model changes need to happen now.

4. Pack your final uvs, post for feedback and do not do anything else until you are sure you have a good layout.

5. Do another testbake, just rendering normals, to double check everything you saw in #3(that everything bakes well). You dont have to post this stage, but it is an important stage, just incase you need to make any last minute uv changes.

6. Do your final bakes, normals, AO, color(assign materials with RGB colors to your high and bake this to create a mask for texturing) anything else. Post these results as well.

--- Texturing

7. Create your base materials, dont do any detail work, scratches, wear etc. Just work on getting the materials to look like "wood" or "metal". Post and take feedback.

8. Work on unique details, scratches, wear, etc. Post and take feedback.

9. Do any final touches, little details, set up a nice scene or something, take some big ol' screenshots, size them down to get some good AA, post them on polycount and pat yourself on the back.

In the future you can post less wips etc, but if you are honestly interested in maximizing the wonderful resource that polycount is, you'll follow these steps to the T. =)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id also like to re-ask if attaching new geometry to the low poly mesh will mess up any uvs i already have? Assuming i collapsed the Unwrap UVW modifier.

it wont.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    In this thread someone said the flash hider was still wrong, but i don't see how it is because its been changed twice, both using reference.

You're muzzle break/flash hider is wrong[period]

Muzzle Break/Flash Hider WtF Ever you wanna call it #1

Muzzle Break/Flash Hider WtF Ever you wanna call it #2

Muzzle Break/Flash Hider WtF Ever you wanna call it #3

It seems like you changed it because what other people said without actually slowing down and examining what you were about to model. Or when you did you didn't take the time to error check against reference. Or if you did both of those things...you just missed it which we all do from time to time.

ump_po.png
    Thats just a basic silhoette of how it should look. Its not 100% accurate it was quick in PS just to show you how it should look.
    Its the same dia before the flare and taper as it is after, because there is another sharp taper where the end of the polymer is that brings it down to that size.

Edit: Also it's just out of scale length wise. (muzzle break/flash hider)

Raw 8" Barrel #1

Raw 8" Barrel #2

Others pointed out other stuff, and yeah seconding bbob about time & Stromberg about sticking to the 45.

Personal Time Comparison:
    I rebuilt at least twice every piece of the HP of the M4 when I was actively working on it before posting, and then rebuilt it again (at least once) after people told me what was off, and I'll probably have to rebuild the damn thing again. Its frustrating yes, but you only learn if you listen, apply and try. And if you think 2 days is a while currently that damn M4 is @ at 158 working hours for just a HP showoff (and for a bake I'll have to spend probably a day loosening edges.)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright i fixed the barrel and redid the stock. I wont be smoothing the inner part of the stock though for the same reason as before (normal problems).

Now i will be figuring out how to add the stock button thingy and ill add the hinge.

I just saw the missing loop cut on the inside of the barrel and it has been fixed.fixtd.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What normals issue on the stock? Getting some wavy lines or something? What you have now is going to look much worse than some wavy edges, and you can just add a couple more edges to round it off to help the wavyness.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But its also not seen by the player =\. To get it smoothed it really wouldnt have THAT much of an effect and id have to add more polys around the hole.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but what you're doing now looks bad, baking from high to low is all about the illusion of having a much more detailed model than you really have, when you leave parts of your mesh as lame faceted lowpoly stuff, it ruins that illusion. The "player wont see it" argument is equally good for any normal issues you would have.

The player likely will never see the barrel, and definitely will never see the huge whole the barrel resides in, but that hasn't stopped you from adding a lot of detail there. Keep it consistent, dont slack off on one part just because you have a convenient excuse to.

And if you ever plan on having this in a portfolio or something, you need to consider other angles than FPV... FPV is most important for a weapon like this, but unless you plan on croping the stock out of all your presentation images, it should look good. Simple as that, make it look good.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright added a couple more polys to that bridge in the middle and it smoothed quite well. You can also see the buttons for the stock off to the left, i was going to have the purple one as floating geometry and the blue one in as the button, you can also barely see the hinge on the other side of the gun.

wiper.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As has been said quite a few times, your edges are still too hard. =)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiperg.png

Better?

I gotta start getting the distance between loop cuts right, i usually slide them almost to the very edge of the poly without realizing it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a little better, i think you can go more tho. I like to exaggerate my edge bevels a bit, it helps to make things more interesting. Especially with a gun like this, that has a softer polymer material.

A sort of rule of thumb that i use, if your edges are so tight that there is noticable aliasing when viewing the entire gun, or most of the gun, your edges are toooo tight. This also helps with small details/floaters/screws, if your floater turns into a mess of aliased noise, your details are much too fine and sharp.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So crits on the buttons? The purple will be baked and the blue will be geometry. They should come out fine. I had a little clash of references problem with the beginning of the stock, so i went with my side image mostly.

Heres the hinge, a few minutes ago it was a cylinder smoothed and pushed halfway into the seam between the stock and the gun and i was about to upload it when i took a second look at the reference and fixed it to match. Another little push but now im even happier with it :)

hingesd.png
  • an aggressive napkin
    Not saying that my model is perfect or anything, but this is a metal weapon, and look at how "loose" my edges are.
    mac11_hp.jpg

To get a good effect, you really must smooth out your lines. plus, I have never seen plastic with that hard of edges
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some of your edges may be a tiny bit sharp and won't show so well on your normal map, specifically the butt.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on a scope for the gun, heres the wip so far:

picch.jpg

Gotta add screws on the side etc and then ill fix up some edges on the gun.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    If this should be a eotech holosight you might wanna gather more ref :P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was the only one i had:
    eotech552_2.jpg

Its also not done (dont know if you read that or not)

Could you please tell me whats wrong with it? Its probably something to do with the battery pack :S
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here was a test render just to get a preview of it on the gun
    scopeon.jpg
    Still trying to figure out how im going to make that battery pack.. hmm...
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the front part of the scope is nothing like in the ref.
    change it :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're funny :P