Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Ruskeydoo

Replies

• Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need smaller and more subtle brush strokes on top of those large dark ones. Otherwise, it looses its subtlety. Right now they look like giant blobs.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    facepaint concept...

4721414685_52ea7b87a4_b.jpg
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    facepaint concept...

4721414685_52ea7b87a4_b.jpg

Dunna nunna nunna nunna nahh.... NATIVE AMERICAN HEAVY MAAAAAN!
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't it just... Looked so good in my head but it just doesn't compliment the headdress and he does look like he's trying to be a superhero. Why hello there drawingboard!
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't it just... Looked so good in my head but it just doesn't compliment the headdress and he does look like he's trying to be a superhero. Why hello there drawingboard!

It does look cool, but it kinda looks more like Batman meets KISS than Native American. Whatever happened to the red markings? You could always have team colors.
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    That gatling gun is utterly fantastic.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    so, even though the guns are from the same time period I'm having a hard time seeing how an indian head dress and gatling gun are related. Would be more fitting to see an american kepi hat from the civil war on him. Or... mix the a headdress with a cowboy hat with some feathers and bead work around base. If youre adamant about keeping the head dress then i would say to work on the gun to incorporate more western parts on it. railroad nails, feathers, bone parts *bull horns/skull* ect....
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gatling gun is taken from an alternate time line where Custer took the gatling guns of 20th infantry with him during the battle of Little Bighorn. The gatling gun was captured by the Sioux while crossing the river at Medicine Tail Coulee and Custer was still defeated by Crazy Horse's charge on Custer Hill... I mean wasn't that obvious?
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warpaint would make a pretty sweet misc item
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mico's paint over of adding silver to the Gatling gun is a good idea, imo.

Thrillho's idea of a small plant pot for the peyote sounds perfectly TF2 imo.

Face paint - I think the Heavy would probably have a generic child-like idea of what AmerIndian face paint looks like. Something like what kids on Halloween and 'Indian Princess' girls going to costume parties would wear.

2575829961_f38bab4b62.jpg
    3858400834_f6dd95804d.jpg
    3628140658_738d92d57b.jpg
    2190213819_c3e43f2840.jpg
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Similar idea hit me while getting to sleep last night. This is where I should be looking for inspiration:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k[/ame]

As regards the three tone gatling gun. I think it makes the whole thing just look too busy. Though I do need to add lots of extra detail to the existing texture

I suspect the reason that the plate exists for the sandvich is because Valve wanted the sandvich more noticable when it had been thrown out. Don't necesarily want that for the peyote. I think adding some kind of plate or plantpot would be over-egging the pudding
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three tones is too busy? :(

Also, since Valve is making up the stats/uses I don't think you should discount modeling a plate.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspect the reason that the plate exists for the sandvich is because Valve wanted the sandvich more noticable when it had been thrown out. Don't necesarily want that for the peyote.

I don't see why you wouldn't want that, especially since certain maps will make the peyote all but indistinguishable from the terrain, but it's your entry.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    As regards the three tone gatling gun. I think it makes the whole thing just look too busy. Though I do need to add lots of extra detail to the existing texture
    I dunno, mate. I think it breaks up the forms better making the entire model easier to read, particularly from a distance.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warpaint simple and effective

4723508373_bc8a44445f_b.jpg
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better!
    And it was my favorite of the posted concepts to boot!
  • Batt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanna add some more support for the 3-tone minigun, too much gold makes it look kinda boring, despite the model being so unique and interesting. At least try it as an alternate so that valve can choose.

War paint's looking decent btw.
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show me some literature on "the smelling of brews" and I might buy that. As is I have never heard of "the smelling of brews" and that looks awfully like someone huffing on a bong.

The smell of a beer is one of the key parts during competition, Oktoberfest has a huge brewing competition and a section of it they are smelling the beers. And in the oktoberfest taunt he puts his nose in the muzzle which isn't how a sane person smokes. It's a foggy area and im sure valve did that on purpose "hey we can put in a oktoberfest referance and a bong hit reference and make it blend so we are bulletproof MUUUAHAHAHA!!!" damn Valves cleverness
  • sgtsweetwater
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so... bear claws. No idea how to get the fist anims in and at this late stage I'm not going to try. Should be fine to model like this then just rely on blind luck. Also I can afford one of my items to look awesome but not work as I just noticed I'm doing something for every slot!4725176316_fa06f402d3_b.jpg

I'll give the 3 tone minigun some thought as so many people seem to like it... Having looked at loads of tf2 guns they have two very similar metal shades then wood. The problem I have with the light silver bits is that 3 metallic textures really looks like too much to me... humm...

@Painless I reckon you're probably right you know.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll give the 3 tone minigun some thought as so many people seem to like it... Having looked at loads of tf2 guns they have two very similar metal shades then wood. The problem I have with the light silver bits is that 3 metallic textures really looks like too much to me... humm...

@Painless I reckon you're probably right you know.

did you know that the minigun is tri-metal-colored?
    polycount.jpg
    red-Brown for wood color and 3 metal color with 2 of them being of a similar tint/shade. I did the same with your minigun, I selected some part and slightly changed the color. If you were to keep the bicolor path, its up to you, but even if you add details it will still look overly goldish.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really running down the clock, I'm surprised you're starting another entry. Hope you get it all finished.
  • Boylee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mico27's recolour get's my vote too.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figure I've got a respectable entry, but I want to try something a little stylistically adventurous for TF2. hasn't been any fur in TF2 yet and I'd like to try defining the look. Might not work ;)
  • Ruskeydoo
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks fairly odd. If you can nail the fur perfectly you'll be the golden standard of how to handle fur in TF2 - if not you still have great entries.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the other way, to get the fur effect to valve's standard, would be to do like what valve did for the camera beard. Even tough it has a lot of poly(~4000 tris) for a hat, I think it would be better for the fur on the paws.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the camera beard looks terrible (I bet it turns out the guy who made the camera beard ends up judging my entry. Sorry mr camera beard guy)
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4728973826_c6193a0b12_b.jpg

I only did the right one to make sure how I was doing it would work. If only flipping it wouldn't look terrible, it took ages modelling all those extrusions...
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    That fur looks great! Maybe a lighter color for the fur and more white in the claws?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    The claws are looking pretty cool dude. I have one general crit for most of your items, they need more variation. Shorten and angle some of the feathers on the headdress, slightly rotate and scale the claws. Adding subtle errors or inconsistencies to objects is one of the biggest things you can do to make it more believable. A light gradient from the tip of the claws might be a nice touch as well.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reflected the single claw to make this, so I could check the fur colouration. Looking at it I reckon any lighter and it might stand out a bit too much. Also damn! I'm completely biased but I really like the look :D

4729489803_73fcc48201_b.jpg

@ nrek - That is a damn fair point. I'll try jiggling round a few angles and scales later. It's a little bit different with the claws and the headdress though as they are trying to be a part of the character model as opposed to an extra item the heavy is carrying. The characters are so much more minimalist than everything else in game, I really don't want to bring in extra visual intrest through variation.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you make the facepaint :O?
    Is that a model? It looks like it's a retexture of the original Heavy player model :S

Anyway...
    You're a great modeler, and your creations are very high standard.
    However like I said before, I think Valve will consider your theme too out of character.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Facepaint is a retexture, its a 1024x1024 texture replacement but with no additional polys I guesstimate the burden is in the same ballpark.

I agree that the concept is probably too outfield for valve to implement for the heavy. But if I did a conformist entry then won, what would I have achieved? To explain, in RL I'm a fine artist as opposed to a designer. So I don't generally work to anyone else's vision but my own. Selfish? Yes. Egotistical? Yes. Doesn't make much money? Yes. Hell of a lot of fun? Yes. In the end as long as I'm happy with it then that's what matters to me.

Also while I'm in good rant flow I can say with great certainty that I am not a great modeller. What I am is a decent sculptor (so I can visualise in 3D) who has plenty of time to spend on this, so I can redo all the bits I get wrong. Look at someone like Buck who is doing this in his spare time around a 9-5. There's someone who knows what he's doing. Seriously, if you saw all the deadends I'm going down then having to dig my way out of you would not think I'm a good modeller. Bloodyminded is an adjective I would accept ;)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    That fur looks great! Maybe a lighter color for the fur and more white in the claws?

I agree with this.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait to hear all the bear puns...
    "I'll rip him apart with my BEAR hands!" and such.

I do agree that the claws could be a tad whiter, as it is, they look a bit too much like wood.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    second claw done4733048846_e613cd679d_b.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks kind of woody.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Echoing Kthon, I think you need to spend more time on the texture there ( even if time is running out)
    See if you can nail the base colors first and experiment with the ambient bake, then go over it with a square brush and change the tone in different areas, might look good if you darken the edges of the entire mesh a slightly darker tone.
    Try can keep detail to a minium on the texture, it doesn't read well in TF 2, it just looks like a noisy mess. Look at the Heavys Ushanka for some ref and notice how most of the "fur" details are stored in the specular.
    Loving the idea though, keep it up :)
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    your pack is one of the best ive seen, and that gatling gun is great
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support duoxan :)

Various things tweaked and all packaged up and sent (see first post for final versions). I am becoming more and more convinced that the bear claws are going to clip all over the show in bad ways. I have howver found this:

"NOTE: Updates and fixes to items may be re-submitted at any point after the contest. Be sure to specify that you are submitting a fix in the “Anything else we should know?” section of the Team Fortress 2 Contribute Submissions Page and the older item will be replaced."

So I guess what I should do is try to work out how to get them into game sop I can look at them. Here's the question though, even if I do manage to compile stuff correctly how will I get them on the back of the heavies fists as I'm not replacing anything but rather adding stuff?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope to see your stuff in game soon. Did you submit alternate versions of anything?
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologise to the three tone gatling gun faction, but I must confess I didn't ;)
  • Snowloss
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The suggestion was that I make an extra three tone texture for the gatling gun and let valve choose. I didn't get around to it.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh... well apparently you can still do that with the 'update' rules and send in an updated texture if you still wanted to do the three tone. (Which I'd like to see)
    Good luck!
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    file.php?id=2892

Turns out valve like gatling guns. ;)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    file.php?id=2892

Turns out valve like gatling guns. ;)

What does this cryptic post mean, I wonder? :poly121:
  • Zx573
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/v00.php

Below the picture of the engies grandpa on the right side.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit, it's like valve took Ruskeydoo's minigun replacement and Prinny's wheeled sentry then fused them togheter! :poly122:*tinfoil hat*:poly142: