Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Henrietta Futuristic Machinegun Wip

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
fabiomsilva polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone
I'm fairly new to hardsurface modeling and perhaps there are many things I have wrong with this one.
This is a gun I'm modeling for a character of my new demoreel. It's an original design inspired in real world weapons as well some sci-fi ones.

I wanted to create the most detailed weapon possible, that looked futuristic while maintining a sense of reality.

I'd like to know what you think of the modeling before I UV and texture it.

Looking forward to you guys helping me bringing this to next level.

many thanks

henriettarender.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wirestagg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

F

Replies

• marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Personally I think it would look a bit cooler with a longer barrel especially if it's an assault rifle. For a Sub machine gun it's fine I think.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Whats with all these sci fi guns that look more like space ships than weapons? The front barrels look more like flash lights, there's a lot of smoothing errors (I could circle them all but I think you can tell). How are you suppose to aim with this thing? There's no iron sights, but I think that's a weird scope camera thing you got going on, but it looks too big IMO. Looks completely uncomfortable and awkward to hold (with both hands) and fire from the shoulder (which looks like the main focus of the gun with that weird giant scope).

I know I'm being tough, but this model needs it, there's some parts I really like, but there's a lot of issues and stuff that needs work/thought all the way through.
  • doeseph
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Err, I think you're being a bit too harsh with the design of the weapon ZacD. As far as "sci-fi weapons" go, this is a pretty tame look in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree the grip could use some lovin' to make it a tad more ergonomic and the barrels could probably be taken down a few sizes, but the gun has a good enough silhouette and it doesn't go over the top with futuristic non-functioning attachments. The underhand grip could certainly use some re-working, right now it makes no sense from a construction standpoint.

But complaining about iron-sights, really? You mean like the ironsights on the sci-fi weapon below? Assault_Rifle_Concept_Art.jpg

Or maybe this one?
    ar.png

Come on now :)
  • fabiomsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments

zacd- you're right. one of the barrels is a flash light.
    the way to aim is using the Led display on the back part of the gun. it's a monitor that helps locking into targets
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That font's not futuristic, and what's with the barrels? what type of projectile comes out of which hole?
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    looks good, but I agree with the whole 'how do you use it' bit
    for getting rid of those bumps, this is a good resource:
    http://www.guerrillacg.org/home/3d-polygon-modeling/subdivision-topology-artifacts
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I think you should definitely float some of the little details (holes and screws...for example the holes on the front edge of the magazine...come on...) instead of modeling them into the main body...you could avoid lots of the smoothing errors you got in there and also keep the polycount lower for fluid FPS in your viewport while working...
  • fabiomsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry i dont get it
    what smoothing errors you are talking about?

there were a few in the screenshot version of the gun . but i fixed those
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    Whats with all these sci fi guns that look more like space ships than weapons? The front barrels look more like flash lights, there's a lot of smoothing errors (I could circle them all but I think you can tell). How are you suppose to aim with this thing? There's no iron sights, but I think that's a weird scope camera thing you got going on, but it looks too big IMO. Looks completely uncomfortable and awkward to hold (with both hands) and fire from the shoulder (which looks like the main focus of the gun with that weird giant scope).

I know I'm being tough, but this model needs it, there's some parts I really like, but there's a lot of issues and stuff that needs work/thought all the way through.

What if Scfi Space ships are the ones that looks like guns? :P
  • DOG-GY
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    What if Scfi Space ships are the ones that looks like guns? :P
    Everything in scifi is a potential spaceship or gun

no matter what.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    25geazo.jpg

Smoothing errors = anything that looks bumpy, any pinching, or isn't as clean looking as it should be.
  • fabiomsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    hi again people, thanks all for the c&C

ive been working a bit more on the submachine gun, fixed a bit of the topology but i confess a bit of it is still "not evened"(i wouldnt say messy but...)

here's the texturing on bodypaint 3d renderer..kinda sux to be honest...

i wonder if it will look better when i bring it to max or maya..surely hope so.
    right now the texture is a bit "generic" since its mirrored on both sides. ill have to make sure the other side doesnt look equal and perhaps add something to the back part of the gun the soldier would have but personal in it.(i had an anime girl! but every single of my friend who saw it complained about it ;) )

feel free to c&C on the texture wip

many thanks!
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    That pistol grip looks uncomfortable. The front and back should be rounded and it's too big and bulky, and that big chunky ring thing around it looks pointless and uncomfortable.