Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Ruskeydoo

Replies

• Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The issue I'd have with a bipod would be one of functionality. It couldnt work with the hand holds being where they are.

The blue one in the middle looks like a pump of some kind (the side inlet coiling around where I presume there's a fan) I like the look of it too, but what would I do with that inlet?

I did have a stressful moment wondering if the frame i have on the left hand side of the gun was going to clip the heavy model. Then I had a look in game and realised that the existing minigun clips the heavy model horrendously and my design doesnt poke out any more than the existing one. If it's good enough for valve its good enough for me!
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is completely unrelated to the polycount comp but I'm just so blown away I'm telling you anyhow (and if you 3d model I'm pretty sure you'll think this is awesome!). I just got through my door some test pieces I had 3d printed at www.shapeways.com

4684390863_19075d3036.jpg

That is one ring in stainless steel and one ring in gold plated stainless steel. The entire cost for both was £28. THE FUTURE IS HERE!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that is friggin' awesome. And you can even buy your own 3d printer now if you have the money.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I don't know how animations might be handled if you do anything with them or not, but if you do you could have the bipod be telescoping and have it telescope out into a 'deployed' mode. Valve might get a cool idea from that.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4687179633_45499868fa_b.jpg

4687813224_a085d856c4_b.jpg

think I'm pretty much done modelling. I've juggled the polygons so there's much more detail on the parts which will appear in the view window. Comes in at about 7100 tris.
  • Snowloss
  • Khthon
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion... Good models, terrible choice of theme.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait till you see it! I have this vision! ;)

Edit: On the subject of themes; I had a thought about themes whilst getting to sleep last night. Try looking at each persons work and think "If I was only shown the objects the have created, would I be able to guess their theme?"
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That took ages...

4693450795_fefdb07f14_b.jpgThe headdress was the first time Iv'e ever unwrapped UVs. After this beast I think I've levelled up.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    Try looking at each persons work and think "If I was only shown the objects the have created, would I be able to guess their theme?"
    That's a good start, however I also like to think:

If the classes didn't have unlock-able weapons or hats, would this theme still fit in with the stereotype they portray?
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought about this quite a bit when I started the comp. The thing about the heavies background is that there's not much there. Point in case would be to look at the existing items for the heavy, only one of them actually reinforces the existing heavy background (ushanka). There is however an interesting trend in what he has: an infatuation with Americana (hound dog, football helmet, duty rag, Jayne's hat from Firefly [toque]) The Native American thing is following that idea of kitch American stereotypes.

"The Comunist USSR was not the first culture ground under the heel of American Capitalism. The Native Americans claimed that title when they made a bad deal swapping some Turkeys for smallpox."

Probably a bit racey for Valve but you get the picture.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mjeh... I still think the "Heavy Loves America" is a lot more far-fetched than Heavy's normal Russian stereotype.

Just listen to his voice lines, just inspect his personality, just read his achievements.
    Not much of these show any signs of an interest in America, and a small interest in American would still not justify turning him into a red, white and blue American.

You're a good modeler, but I don't think your theme fits TF2, and therefor I personally wish for it not to make it into the game.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski... In all honesty I think the concept is probably too outlandish to make it into game, so I don't think you have to worry.

Having said that I'm new to the polycount boards so I don't know what is socially acceptable around here, but by my standards going on someone's thread about what they're doing and stating: "I simply will just personally hope to god that this will not make it into the game" is just plain rude.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean...
    I just didn't realize how harsh it sounded, and in retrospect I should probably have been a bit more polite.

I'm going to change the post so to be less rude, sorry.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apology accepted. Completely valid opinion, just a matter of how it's packaged :)
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think it's a safe bet that HWG is interested in American culture. Especially fitting for the time period the game is set in as it would be taboo for him, and thus very alluring given human nature.

I'd say keep on going.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forwards is the only direction at this stage ;)

now to matters in hand...

4700406592_77c0ba02b6_b.jpg

I got my ambient occlusion done, got highlights on the edges, no square brush tf2 texture done yet, but the question is: how am I going to get this looking more like brass and less like a JCB? If anyone has some good ideas on how to do a large expanse of brass in TF2 I'd really like to hear your opinion.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO looks good, for the brass try more orange and brown, sampling colours from actual brass, or maybe even paint it greyscale and then adjust the hue/colour values in ps.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a look at the texture of the bugle for the Buff Banner, since it's an example of a brass item already in game.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Buff Banner! Of course! *facepalm* I got it into my head that the only bit of brass in game was the tips of the bullets on the heavies bandolier. Thanks Elbagast!
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much more likely. Here's a shot in context with the bugle and the regular minigun

4703391638_9ea07bf0c4_b.jpg

left the texture quite simple on the brass as I'm assuming the shiny will add a lot of visual interest in game. May add more detail leter... we shall see.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next thing on the list is making a peyote cactus to replace the sandvich.

From wikipedia:

"It is well known for its psychoactive alkaloids, particularly mescaline. It is used world wide as an entheogen, and supplement to various transcendence practices, including meditation, psychonautics, and psychedelic psychotherapy. Peyote has a long history of ritualistic and medicinal use by indigenous Americans."

The pop culture understanding of peyote is that. you eat it to get so high that you enter a different reality where you can commune with your animal totem and go on spirit quests. What effect this would have in TF2 I have no idea :)

4703483244_19852f2919_b.jpg

• Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on the minigun, hopefully the shine adds interest because it does look a little bland without it.

You're really doing Peyote? I don't think it's too racy for Valve but it might be for places they want to sell TF2 (like Australia). I'd say make sure to do an alternate so the drug reference doesn't ruin the pack's chances.

Maybe a steak with a ranch brand on the meat?
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm. Having looked at the bugle in game it doesn't have any shine on it, so I need to get the brass on the gatling gun looking interesting while not being too busy or looking unlike the bugle... hmm

I'm not too woried about the drugs reference due to the precedent of the medic huffing on the medibong. Besides peyote isn't illegal. Again from wikipedia:

Where there is exclusive federal jurisdiction or state law is not racially limited, peyote use by Native American Church members is legal and racially neutral in the United States.[21] This exemption from federal criminalization is as old as creation of federal law creating peyote related offenses.
    Code Of Federal Regulations SPECIAL EXEMPT PERSONS
    Section 1307.31 Native American Church. The listing of peyote as a controlled substance in Schedule I does not apply to the nondrug use of peyote in bona fide religious ceremonies of the Native American Church, and members of the Native American Church so using peyote are exempt from registration. Any person who manufactures peyote for or distributes peyote to the Native American Church, however, is required to obtain registration annually and to comply with all other requirements of law.
    So presumably if the Heavy is wearing the Native American headdress while eating the peyote then Valve is not depicting someone breaking the law (apart from all the mercenary killing). Valve would however be being irreverent?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really think you should do a different lunchbox item if you go that route - Peyote isn't illegal for only religious ceremony and the bong hit Medic isn't actually drugs just a reference. Making fun of Native American religion and/or Heavy just eats hard psychotropic drugs for fun is probably not the best idea.

What I'm saying is not that it has no chance but Why not give yourself the best chance possible and do an alternate item as well.

And I'll add there's plenty of Western/native American foods that aren't Peyote to pick from.

Indian Corn-
    AGRI2D-00025%7EMulticolored-Corn-a-Native-American-Staple-Crop-in-a-Basket-Posters.jpg
    Beef Jerky-
    540565-871557f19699423d949bbad7cfff6a6f.jpg
    Branded Steak-
    img65m.jpg
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a fan of the trumpet palette.

IMO the plain old gun colours are better fitting. The model is very nice but the color is a bit outlandish.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the trumpet palette.

IMO the plain old gun colours are better fitting. The model is very nice but the color is a bit outlandish.

I kinda agree. Problem is that changing an old brass gatling gun to be made out of a different metal detracts from the whole point of the weapon. I think I need to wait till I get a method of getting this stuff into game. Then I can play around with things like trying the same level of shinyness as the firechief helmet has and see if that adds the requred visual interest.

@ Khthon - If all goes according to plan then I should have more than 3 items anyway.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ruskeydoo - Okay, my friend. Keep in mind time is starting to run short, and I want to see your stuff in game for sure.

If you do need extra detail/doodads you can always put some engravings on the brass.

3-BARREL%20FLINTLOCK%20PISTOL_l.jpg
    22-1253L.jpg
    te0830.jpg
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peyote cactus is go!

4708877025_e2e218b276_b.jpg
  • FAT~U-BOY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should request that valve uses the "bonk!-draw-particle" when the heavy nom's the peyote :D

Just for the juicy awesomeness ;D
  • FAT~U-BOY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • eisiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhh, cactus, cactus cactus.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^haha

i still like the peyote. most folk wont even know what it is
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you really nailed the TF2 style on the peyote, haha.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots of cactae in game, so I had objects to directly fit the style to :)
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will those petals be jiggleboned?
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vintage merryweather hat has some nice tarnished brass on it and so does the tyrants helm if the bugle isn't good enough
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    I really think you should do a different lunchbox item if you go that route - Peyote isn't illegal for only religious ceremony and the bong hit Medic isn't actually drugs just a reference.

Its not a drug reference its a oktoberfest reference to the smelling of brews.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Oktoberfest
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minigun definitely needs work on the texture will see about that tomorrow.

As regards jiggleboning the leaves I'd first want to know how much extra burden that puts on your processor?
    Its not a drug reference its a oktoberfest reference to the smelling of brews.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Oktoberfest

Show me some literature on "the smelling of brews" and I might buy that. As is I have never heard of "the smelling of brews" and that looks awfully like someone huffing on a bong.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget, you'll need some sort of model for the plate version of the peyote.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4721045392_a959a38c63_b.jpg

So not added texture detail but is this a better blocking of colour? might make all the bolts and pivots the dark metal colour

Plate for peyote: Presumably the peyote will have some pretty big downsides due to the nature of hallucinogenics. I'd like the throwdown on the peyote to only be collectable by the opposing team and only have the negative effects of the peyote. If its doing that I'd like to see it with a regular phys model.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the colours are brilliant, but i'm geussing they are going to shine alot more in well lit maps?

it just looks a little dull at the moment but i'm going to asume it's due to the lack of proper lighting + the vtx info not being included?
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I think you should add a secondary metal co0lor, right now it looks a bit too bicolored. Maybe go a for a greyish/silverish color for some part like this:

addcolor.png
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks VERY nice micro
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Really really want to see this baby ingame, need to find a beefy firing sound for it too man :D
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The heavy has a separate texture for his head... I have no idea why. For a misc item I'm going to reskin it so we have war paint!

Below are some sketchy ideas.

4720936515_d712780ffd_b.jpg
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    He must have the Warrior face paint for ultimate Destrucity, Hoak Hogan.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a thought... instead of a plate for the peyote, maybe a large leaf or even a shallow plant pot? It just seems unfitting to me to serve peyote on a plate.