Ubermeister:
ra88rb.jpg

k2bymh.png
---
Video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLXqMKHmgcI[/ame]
Author Notes:

THE KAISER SERUM GUN:

I really wanted to play it sort of safe and stick with the traditional syringe gun design. While it may look like I copied the original model, all of the models in this pack were built from scratch. I used a blueprint of the Syringe Gun and made small changes while remodeling the base of it.

I originally had a more rounder grip on the model (you can see it in my previous posts), but I felt that it looked a bit awkward so I stuck to the original metal plate grip.

The Amputation Knives on the front are based on actual 18th Century German made Amputation Knives. The Curved end was supposed to make amputation procedures be completed faster.

The tubing on the side wasn't on my original design, but I felt that there had to be some other distinct characteristic to make the Kaiser standout from the other syringe guns. So the tubing was made to hang from the sides to serve as another visual key for other players to identify what gun the Medic is holding.

This was the first weapon I worked on in Team Fortress 2, and the first weapon I ever compiled and completed with UV Mapping and Textures. It felt real good to get this ingame and have it work perfectly.

THE BOWSAW:

The Bowsaw is based off another 18th century medical weapon, a Pre-Listeran Bow Frame Bonesaw. Pre-Listeran means that it was built before germs were a huge concern. Most medical equipment back then had ivory or wood for the handles and grip. Most doctors decorated their bowframe saws just to make it stand out. Of course, eventually it was realized that wood and ivory attracted germs and was actually worse to use on patients since over time the equipment would be infected, thus why all medical equipment is strictly steel and metal.

The Bowsaw was technically, the first weapon I worked on until I hit a hole on how much polys to account for the handle. I eventually put the Bowsaw on hold and worked on The Kaiser. After I got the Kaiser to work I felt very optimistic on the Bowsaw and began working on it.

I had some different concepts and tried some things that I ended up not liking. Eventually, I took a cue from the original bonesaw and created a long metal base with a screw on it to hold the blade inplace. After that, everything came natural.

I experimented with multiple blades and other stuff attached to the Bowsaw, but I eventually realized that simpler is better and I just went with it's original simple design.

This is probably my favorite weapon from the pack that I worked on, as it's simple yet it still stands out.

THE UBERMEISTER:

This was built in the last day, the Final Countdown if you will before the deadline. Originally I was frustrated because I couldn't think of a hat to make, so I decided to speed model a medigun out. After doing 3 different designs I finally went with the Ubermeister design and began to rush to get it done.

I had alot of trouble with the viewmodel of this. I couldn't get it to work. I think it had something to do with the decompiled viewmodel having corrupt bone placement or animations, but I ended up giving up on the viewmodel in exchange of working on the Texture.

Despite working feverishly fast on this, I am quite satisfied with the end result.

---

I ended up submitting all the files 10 minutes before the deadline. WOOSH.

I had alot of fun making these items aswell as seeing all the awesome stuff the community has made. Hopefully everyone will get a chance to play around with my items sometime.

Replies

• RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Here's some concept sketches I've done. I'm probably going to start out working on the Bonesaw replacement:

The general theme of these weapons is SHARP, DEADLY, AND AWESOME.

Basically, the Medic finally realized that maybe his weapons need more "stab stab" to them. So he's decided to reequip his arsenal with added blades and saws to increase the amount of "precision" his work requires.

The Syringe Gun I'm having a bit trouble getting the final design down, but I do know one thing I want for the final design. A German Medical Amputation Knife attached to the front-end of it as a bayonet.

Basically this thing attached to the front of the syringe gun:
    article-1164903-04182AA1000005DC-293_634x392.jpg

That is an actual 18th century Amputation Knife that I'm sure the Medic would find less troublesome to use than today's modern instruments. It's curved end was supposed to decrease the amount of time it took to amputate a limb, supposedly you can amputate a limb in just minutes! Efficient!

25ipzix.jpg
    Here's some sketching progress. As you can see the current design seems a little bit out of the TF2 design style, so I'm going to keep working on that.

As for the bonesaw replacement, it's going to be a...

GUESS WHAT? ANOTHER BONESAW! What? Did you expect something crazy? Well, to be more precise, it'll be a bow-framed bonesaw. Something like this:

345bnmc.jpg

I'm going to start work modeling the Bow Framed Bonesaw out. I think the hardest part of it would be the actual handle, I really want to make sure the medic can get a good grip on it and fit with the default bonesaw animations.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin good. Stabby = stabby.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    e7bk2d.jpg

Some work on the handle of the Bow Frame Bone Saw. About 2000s polys. I'm pretty sure the rest of the saw won't have the polycount exceed 70000.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    egtxg2.jpg

More Progress, really working through this faster than I thought.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    waaay tooo many polygons on the handle. Avoid meshsmoothing while working on low-polygon models. Import weapons from valve and learn form them. It's maybe 7000 tris on natasha but i doubt it is on the bonesaw, so keep things optimized.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I agree that there's too much density in the handle, but it still needs to be somewhat "smooth" in comparison to the original bonesaw, since this handle is supposed to be curved. I think I just need to find a acceptable inbetween, that or optimize it by hand. If anything, I'll use this as the basis for the AO bakes.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure a hacksaw typed setup really makes sense if you assume that the animations are going to remain the same. I realise you've got a pointy bit on the front, but you're not really utilising most of the weapon if the punching motion remains.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'm not sure a hacksaw typed setup really makes sense if you assume that the animations are going to remain the same. I realise you've got a pointy bit on the front, but you're not really utilising most of the weapon if the punching motion remains.

Hmm, what if I have the saw end rise and curve up towards the front? Similar to the original bonesaw, and make it look like the original setup of my bonesaw was modified to fit the Medic's need to impale stuff into people. Maybe have the front end of the bow frame be sawed off to fit in the modified saw blade end.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    4kifph.jpg

This is a low poly version of the handle.

Here's the original high poly version:
    6hqs1w.jpg

Low Polygon Version: 668
    High Polygon Version: 2016 Polygons

I'm not entirely happy with the low poly version, but it seems to get the same shape across. I might try and flesh it out to about 1000- something polygons.

Eh, I think I might try and remodel the handle again to see if I can get a cleaner polycount to it.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Taking a break from the bowframe saw, I've started work on what I think will probably be the final design for my Syringe Gun which isn't quite named yet but I like the nickname "Serum Gun".

10zdctt.jpg

I'll post some WIPs soon.
  • Phiroth
    I'm liking the look of the saw. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Working on the Serum Gun:

3162cfs.jpg

Got the overall front base done. It has a shaped grip that also serves as the amputation knife bayonet holder. I thought that grip would make it standout from the other syringe guns. The Cylinder is just a placeholder.

Onto the main "serum combustion engine" ontop of the front end of the base, and the tubes hanging onto the side, which I think I'm probably going to have jigglebone'd.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    More Progress:

25exnae.jpg
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I think I finished the model just about enough.

331234h.jpg
    vx29gw.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    What's with the strange oval shape of the tank? Otherwise it's looking nice. I'm not sure why it needs those two knives on the front though. They don't really need them to look unique and they look kind of silly.
  • Ikimono
    you can cut out a good 3/4 of the loops on that handle. Remember, any detail you put into the weapon where the hand is going is just going to get covered up. Don't waste detail where it wont get seen.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    What's with the strange oval shape of the tank? Otherwise it's looking nice. I'm not sure why it needs those two knives on the front though. They don't really need them to look unique and they look kind of silly.

Yeah, but I figured TF2 is a pretty silly enough game that it would fit along with the Medic's personality.

As for the tank, I didn't really realize it at first, but it is quite vertically oval. I'll fix that up.

Ikimono wrote: »
    you can cut out a good 3/4 of the loops on that handle. Remember, any detail you put into the weapon where the hand is going is just going to get covered up. Don't waste detail where it wont get seen.

Yeah, kind of the drawback of extruding polygons, I'll clean up the loops on the handle.
  • Khthon
    Texture will make or break this needlegun entry, I think.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    aynf3o.jpg

Working on the Texture right now. It's a bit saturated for right now. It's because I'm working with the AO Baked map and solid colors and minor details.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Updated OP and working feverishly on finishing the other two items before ZE deadline.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Updated OP with new screenshots of The Kaiser.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Working to finish the Saw replacement.

The current guideline, is to try finish texturing my saw replacement, then I'll work on my medic hat. This is actually a fun deadline to race against.
  • Khthon
    Keep us updated with pics.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    fny3cl.png

Just about done with the Bow Frame Saw. Just need to texture it. And come up with a awesome name too.

Then onto the Hat!
  • Khthon
    Name suggestions, tell me what you think-

Needlegun name -

ScalpSkiver (skive - remove the surface of; "skive leather")

Skiver

The Disinfector

Serum Shanker

Serum Shooter

Melee name -

Savage Saw

Dissector

Gray's Anatomizer
  • Psyke
    Grey's Anatomizer

is brilliant
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Psyke wrote: »
    Grey's Anatomizer

is brilliant

Haha, it is pretty brilliant, but I think I'll think about it some more.

Here's a picture of The Kaiser ingame. Seems like everything is in working order.

24q76gh.jpg
  • Khthon
    Nice, I hope you go with Gray's Anatomizer...I'd be honored. :)
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I think I'm going to modify my theme. Right now it's kind of vague and bland. Mainly because the only hat I could think fitting with "Under the Knife" isn't that interesting. Thankfully, I found a theme that I think is a bit more interesting and will spice up the look of my weapons.

The current theme I'm going to convert this to is a 18th Century Antique Medical Equipment theme. I'm going to make the bayonets of the The Kaiser Syringe Gun look more 18th Century aswell as make the Bowframed Bonesaw much more old fashioned looking.

With the Hat, I'm probably going to do some sort of 18th Century Headwear that would be much more fun and interesting than my original idea of a hat with knives attached to it.
  • Buck
    Want to see what you come up with!
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    1zyva5e.jpg

Getting the base colors down, working on painting and polishing the final texture. So far I've only really finished the blade texture.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    The hardest part about the Bowframe Saw was getting the handle to fit perfectly into the Medic's hand. That alone took alot of alterations, but alas:

x37a0i.jpg

The Medic has quite the grip.
  • Buck
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    25f362b.jpg

Although I liked the rusty look, it kind of conflicted with the overall saw I thought. So here's a traditional cleaner version of it.

Along with that, here's a version that is equally dirty on the frame and the blade.

24f9ufc.jpg

If I'm going to go for a old antique look, I'll probably go with the dirty version.
  • Khthon
    I like the dirty one. Whats the hat idea?
  • Buck
    Add some dirty spots on the clean version and its gonna be perfect.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I think I might just go for a medigun addon attachment. I have a hat idea, but it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the weapons and the hat idea would definitely lack the "cool" factor. So I'm probably going to make a attachment for the medigun.
  • Khthon
    Well, not much time left, I hope you can do it.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Khthon wrote: »
    Well, not much time left, I hope you can do it.

I'm pretty sure I can finish this up before 10 atleast.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    -snip-

Seems like it's been done before, I guess i'm just going to have to make up my own hat design.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Seems there's been a change of plans!

I didn't think I could speedmodel a Medigun based on some old concepts I had done but sure enough:

HUZZAH:

amwsbm.jpg

Now. To see if I can UV map and Texture this thing before the deadline!
  • Khthon
    Keep us updated! So close...
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Gentleman. Behold.

2mhzw5h.jpg

THE UBERMEISTER.

Now just have to texture it for real.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Okay, are the mediguns cursed or something? I've literally replaced the world model (trying to work on the v_model to work right.) So I decided to test it ingame. Alas, nothing, the game was using its original medigun model? In the console the game is spamming:

SetupBones: invalid bone array size (1 - needs 9)

I'm assuming:

weapons\v_models\v_medigun_medic.mdl
    weapons\w_models\w_medigun.mdl"

Are the correct locations right? I mean they appear in Model Viewer, why aren't they appearing ingame?

Anyone who has modeled and replaced a medigun want to help me out with this?
  • Mnemosynaut
    Why are you making a v/w_model? Just make a c_model and replace the Kritzkrieg.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. :(
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, replaced the C_model medigun. Works perfectly as a Kritzkrieg, (thought the attachment on it kind of breaks that). But when I switch to the normal medigun, the viewmodel is invisible?
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Finished and submitted items. The viewmodel bug for the Ubermeister is lost on me so sorry Valve, The Ubermeister just has a compiled world model. Now for operation pimp the front page...
  • J-Factor
    As a Medic player - thank you for making a new Medigun.

Looking forward to seeing it when it's textured.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Updated OP with alot of images. Had fun working at this, and I am anticipating to see the winners and what else is going to be filling up the TF2 world.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Here are some ingame screenshots of the Viewmodels:

dwdgf8.jpg
    302z194.jpg