Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overtkill Manga

demilich
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
demilich polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, here is a highpoly overtkill. I took my favorite overtkill design from Spawn, the manga one. After this im going to make the low poly for it to be a game character. Although the actual design is not the best for an in game character, my goal is just to create a highpoly, lowpoly version. The high poly still needs some areas that need work, but let me know what you guys think. So far its been all Zbrush.

Replies

• gsokol
    Nice work.

Few critiques for ya.

First off, too much symmetry. I can see you avoided it on the deeper scratch on the forearm, but most of the scratches are just mirrored...it looks especially bad on the back of the feet.

Going along with the scratches..the placement of them could be better. Right now they just look too uniform....like you were afraid to have an area that is exceptionally scratched, and one that is unscathed. Think about where and why these scratches would appear. I would think his hands would be very heavily scratched, since they would be used to punch things/etc...and there wouldn't be such big gouges on his shoulders, or the back of his feet. Don't get me wrong, tiny metal scrapes are probably ok to be all over, but these are more than surface scratches on the sculpt.

It doesn't look like he has a collar bone, his pecs just end and he has tubes going into him above that. It would be more interesting to see the protruding from the collar and have the tubes going in behind these.

Maybe you could add a little texture to the skin...the tiny bumps/pores that you would normally see.
  • demilich
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for the feedback gsokol. much appreciated. I was kinda of confused how I would do the scratches and damage on the hardsurface pieces without using too much texture space. i would think i would want to mirror textures to save space, but you are right, it is very noticable. as far as the collar bone, i used a lot of ref from bodybuilders and from the looks of it, it seems that the bulging pecs and delts seem to hide the collarbone. i may be wrong, but im sure i could figure out a better way to indicate that there is a placement of a collar bone. back to the scratch thing, do you have any suggestions on how to have asymmetry on the armor pieces while saving texture space for the low poly? or should i just avoid mirroring uvs.
  • demilich
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I decided to redesign the old scientist that helps atreyu with his telescope right before he crosses the golden oracles. I jumped right in zbrush to start re-designing this guy. I already have a costume in mind. All feed back is welcome.
    Thanks guys!