Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - AAA_BATTERY

I will be entering as well, I think I will be doing a pack for the sniper, seeing as I currently also have a replacement idea going. I don't know what other two weapons to make, but suggestions/ideas would be nice.

theme: big game hunter

Most recent update: finished and submitted

cbowlarge.png
cwoodmachetelarge.png
demobilllarge.png

Replies

• AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it seems i have a bit of a problem, for my first project i will be making a huntsman skin, but i cant seem to recompile it correctly.

if anyone has made a huntsman skin before and could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

so i decompiled the model, imported it changed it a bit just to test and see if i could export it again and have the animations still work correctly, and i can export it into source format with no errors, but in the model viewer i still see the original huntsman when i load it up... i have double checked everything multiple times and i'm sure i have done everything right. anyone have any idea what i could have done wrong?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    did you name it correctly with the huntsman name in the qc file ?
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, i believe so. here is my QC file
    $cd "D:\Users\Cody\Documents\maya\projects\tf2 hats\scenes\sniper hats\polypack contest\bow"
    $modelname "weapons/c_models/c_bow/c_bow.mdl"
    $model "body" "c_bow_reference.smd"
    $model "arrow" "arrow_bodygroup.smd"
    $model "arrow" "UnknownModelName.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\weapons\c_items\"
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -17.024  -10.310  -0.786  12.094  1.532  0.733
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone_1" -19.008  -8.833  -1.226  0.109  0.412  1.227
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone_2" -6.654  -22.244  -1.204  0.264  0.244  1.231
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone_4" -1.116  -1.263  -0.045  1.572  1.726  35.086
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/c_items/c_bow.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/c_items/c_arrow.vmt"
    $attachment "muzzle" "weapon_bone_4" 0.00 -0.01 33.41 rotate 0.00 0.00 0.00
    $attachment "muzzle" "weapon_bone_4" 0.00 -0.01 33.41 rotate 0.00 0.00 0.00
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 5.683 -0.335 -1.417
    $sequence ref "ref" fps 30.00
    $includemodel "weapons\c_models\c_sniper_arms.mdl"
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 1.0
        $inertia 1.00
        $damping 0.00
        $rotdamping 0.00
    }

i think it might have something to do with Ref.smd
    usually don't leave $sequence lines in my QC file, they get replaced by $includemodel. like said in this thread: http://www.fpsbanana.com/threads/159772

but when i do that i get a "ERROR: 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION' (assert: 1)" error message in GUI studiomdl
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i figured out what the problem is. but i have no clue how to fix it.

when i export a .smd file of my modified huntsman from Maya it exports with no errors, but then if i re-import that same .smd file that i just exported it comes in as the original huntsman model. so something is messed with my exporter. anyone have any clue wtf is going on?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    uuh
    How comes it can export the valve model ? Is it present in your maya scene ? Sorry i only know the 3ds max exporter, but i doubt the maya exporter generates valve model by itself :p
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    It doesn't you have to export smd and compile to mdl or something like that, ive never been able to get it working correctly with the textures intact from maya. This is what i used see if it gets you anywhere.

http://www.moddb.com/engines/source/tutorials/maya-to-source-a-model-exportation-guide
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't you have to export smd and compile to mdl or something like that, ive never been able to get it working correctly with the textures intact from maya. This is what i used see if it gets you anywhere.

http://www.moddb.com/engines/source/tutorials/maya-to-source-a-model-exportation-guide

that is exactly what i am doing, but the .smd exporter for maya seems to be bugged for me or something. i have exported weapons from maya multiple times before and got them in game no problem, and i am following the exact same steps as i did in the past. the only thing left to do is update sdk content and reinstall all my source plugins, but i'm still not sure if that will work.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good news, i have gotten my exporter fixed, and now, after a two day delay i can finally get started.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally got some concepts done.
    now tell me what you think.

personally i like the overall shape of #3 the best, except i would round off all the points, and scrap the ornate details and replace them with something else. but it seems to me that #2 might fit the tf2 style better.

Edit: sorry i saved it as a png, right click > view image will put it on a white background

basicshapepost.png
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the design of 3 and 4.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump, need more opinions before i can continue.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id love 3 with horns on the ends instead of spikes(?) Nice designs!
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buck wrote: »
    Id love 3 with horns on the ends instead of spikes(?) Nice designs!

good idea, ill be sure to draw that on round two of the concept sketches.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some small variations off #3 tell me what you think.

refinedshape2.jpg
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use an arrow with colourful feathers :D
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 or 4 shaped more into a longbow?
  • Rogue Trooper
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    3 or 4 shaped more into a longbow?

i was already planing on making it a fair amount larger than the huntsman.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you sure you like the horns down more than up? i certainly don't. its an easy change, but i would be much more reassured i was doing the right thing if more people would actual post and give me opinions.

also that is an actual size comparison of the huntsman and my bow.

First modeling update:

beta1all.png
  • Rogue Trooper
  • Karkasmolenklok
    also that is an actual size comparison of the huntsman and my bow.
    Then it's way too big.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow it's massive! make sure it doesnt have clipping issue ingame!
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then it's way too big.
    /agree
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well take a look at some ingame screenies, and tell me if its still to big. right now it almost never clips, the only time it clips is when someone strafes and turns at the same time, other than that it doesn't clip at all. and you cant tell me no other weapons in the game clip with the player model, many of them do at some point. and by the way if i make it smaller it will be much worse, the horn will intersect his groin rather then sit between his legs.

and no. the rigging on the bow doesn't work yet, but it will.

cpdustbowl0009.jpg

cpdustbowl0012.jpg
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happens when you crouch?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how does it look when he runs with it?
    or when he walks through doorways/tunnels?

might just wanna make it a bit smaller to be safe
  • Karkasmolenklok
    It's way too big.

The bow part of it is too thick (looks as thick as table legs!) and even without the accoutrements at the end it's longer than the huntsman without having a longbow shape. If someone designed a bow like that, people wouldn't be able to draw it, let alone string it.

A bit of exaggeration in this game is good, don't get me wrong, but this just doesn't fit very well.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeezy wrote: »
    What happens when you crouch?

no idea
    Psyke wrote: »
    how does it look when he runs with it?
    or when he walks through doorways/tunnels?

might just wanna make it a bit smaller to be safe

it doesn't clip at all when he runs, and for doorways/air ducts it might clip through the ceiling, but its no worse than the eyelander in terms of height.
    It's way too big.

The bow part of it is too thick (looks as thick as table legs!) and even without the accoutrements at the end it's longer than the huntsman without having a longbow shape. If someone designed a bow like that, people wouldn't be able to draw it, let alone string it.

A bit of exaggeration in this game is good, don't get me wrong, but this just doesn't fit very well.

i competely agree with it being to thick, i am going to tone it down a notch. its not actualy as thick as it looks in the ingame shots, as i said the riging is broken, so when drawn it actualy streaches the bow horizontily, so its not actualy as thick as it appears. but i am going to thin it down quite a bit, and that will probably force me to make the horn smaller smaller, possibly further reducing what little clipping their is.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Won't it clip through his leg? What if he crouches? Swimming? I just think you could shrink it an eensy bit and still have the same general idea.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't you people read!? making it smaller would probably make it worse!

edit: by smaller, i mean the height of the bow. i am going to make it thinner.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    It looks to me like there's multiple issues with the shape in general.

I'm guessing this is a lot of what went into the strongly reflex shape of the huntsman.

Nevertheless, as far as length I would suggest that you consider revising the shape entirely. I like the idea of inclusion of horn, you could go the way of Odysseus' bow and have the limbs themselves be made entirely of horn (Odysseus' is traditionally described as being made from the horns of an Ibex, which would be preposterously difficult to draw, which actually had an important role in the story as he was one of the only people alive strong enough to string it.)

A decurve shape as opposed to a recurve might also eliminate your clipping problems and make it look distinct from the huntsman.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am not ready to re-do the entire bow yet, and make it from one giant horn. but i am willing to alter the basic shape of the current model, i made it thinner as suggested, and it looks better in my opinion. kinda more gazelley (is that a real adjective?) i am going to let some ideas swirl in my head overnight before i do anything more.

here is a comparison of the new and old model.

beta2comparasin.png
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. I recommend a handle wrapping, seems like it'd be fitting.
  • The Red Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea its goood,does seem a little big.Cant wait for texturing!
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did a quick mock-up in photoshop, of what it would look like if i reversed the horns.

to me it looks like it degrades the overall appearance of the model (i like the current one better) but it would probably eliminate all clipping with the snipers thigh.

so go ahead and do it or don't?

beta2comparasin2.png
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliminate the clipping if you can, better chance of seeing this in game.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i switched the horn around, and i really hatted it at first, but after looking at for such a long time i slowly started to like it. and now i think its better than before. also it never clips, at least i didn't see it clip once. and this is for those who were worried about crouching snipers. sorry this was the best picture i could get, but i guarantee it doesn't clip when he crouches.

ctf2fort0026.jpg

i also got the rigging on the bow string working. but the bending of the bow is still a little screwy, i will have to mess with the weight paints later.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HUZZAH!!! i finally got the rigging, and bone weights done correctly after hours and hours of frustration i finally got it finished. and after much more testing in game i can verify that it never clips with the player model or doorways.

my thanks go to Rotis4 for helping me test.

Edit: if a mod sees this can they change the tags on my thread from scout to sniper, i changed my plan just like an hour after creating the thread. i don't think im allowed to edit the tags, or im not looking in the right place. thanks.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am beginning to think of how to remake the arrows to fit my theme, i have done a bit of research and these the best arrows i can find that are used for taking down large animals, huge tips, and long spiraled feathers. i am thinking they may need a bit more decoration simply for added visual interest. any ideas?

4401.jpg

4402.jpg

4400.jpg
  • fastturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those would definitely fit with your theme, though, and this probably goes without saying, but you might want to not bother with the serrated arrowhead depending on how you're doing with the number of tris you've already used with the bow.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this what i got so far. currently it is at just over 5000 tris. should i keep modeling or is ready to start textureing?

i added a wrapped handle (kinda hard to see from the perfect side view), and a small cloth wrap on the top side. since the last update.

beta31.png
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for my second weapon i am thinking about making one of the things that trip running animals, you know the two rocks that are tied together with a piece of leather? i cant seem to remember what the name is, so i cant really find any reference images. any one got any idea what they are called? or do you at least like the idea?

it would be a jatare replacment. probably use the same throwing animations, the only thing im worried about is how the object will act one it is released from his hand. would simply putting jiggle bones in the rope work?
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boy, it sure is empty in here...

ECHO....
    ECHO....
    ECHO....
    ECHO....
    ECHO....
    ECHO....
    ECHO....
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trip wire?
    as for reference, get two rocks and tie them together with leather.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remembered what they are called.

boleadoras.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or just bolas for short.

That would be pretty cool, but what would they replace?
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it would be a jarate replacement, short range throwing weapon, with recharge.
  • Khthon
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots of arrow heads, but i don't think they fit as well as the hand chipped stone ones, nor do they look quite as threatening. although i am interested in the shaft on the middle arrows, how it changes from bamboo to an iron spike about mid way down.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its seems i have run into a little problem. when i export the model it looks fine in Maya, but once i open it up in the model viewer all the faces facing the camera become transparent. any one have any idea what i could have done wrong?

here is what it looks like.

brokef.jpg