Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - IanJ

Felt like i should update the first post so its more fitting with my current theme.

heres the stuff I ended up making.

The Sleuths Shades

sleuthsshades.jpg

The Little Buddy

littlebuddy.jpg

The Shroud

theshroud.jpg

OLD STUFF
I don't have much experience modeling but I figure this is good practice at the very least.
The class I picked is the Engi. Here is my concept for his first weapon.
Right now I'm just calling it "Wrenchy"
Pretty basic but I think it will fit fairly well.

My theme is: Trucker

wrenchyconceptredblue.jpg

Replies

• SixTwoSixFour
    I can try to find a link for you, but just a heads up, someone else who's doing the engy already has a team-colored pipe/monkey wrench, fully modeled and textured, so you might wanna try somethin' else.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I can try to find a link for you, but just a heads up, someone else who's doing the engy already has a team-colored pipe/monkey wrench, fully modeled and textured, so you might wanna try somethin' else.

I disagree. It's not all about making original items or ideas that haven't been done before. The biggest part is the execution. The same people could do the exact same items but if one's was way better then that's what counts. Each person's versions will be unique. If you can make it fit well into your theme, look great and integrate well into the game there's no reason why it wouldn't get chosen. We're not really competing with each other, we are all just doing our best to try and be chosen to get included in the game.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yes and you know why you are right? There was a video of a hat for the Demoman that I came across today and it literally looked the same as the one in TF2 only it wasn't. The author said another guy was able to get his chosen to be put in the game because he executed it better.

So there you go. Don't worry about doing the same ideas.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be more concerned about the fact that the existing wrench isn't really all that different.

TF2 is fantastical, particualrly the engi gear, why not make something crazy?
  • Khthon
    Jackablade is right, shoot for the stars on this stuff, might as well. A normal wrench has been done to death, and there's TONS of construction tools you could use for inspiration aside from wrenches.
  • Larate
    Khthon wrote: »
    Jackablade is right, shoot for the stars on this stuff, might as well. A normal wrench has been done to death, and there's TONS of construction tools you could use for inspiration aside from wrenches.
    Actually, the Engie's wrench is a clamp. I found this out while researching on making my own item model. The wrench in question is an F Clamp variation, more a speed clamp than bar clamp. The wrench drawn by the OP is a "monkey wrench", and looks legitimately different. I say go for it.
  • IanJ
    wow, did not think I would get this much response haha, I appreciate the comments guys, and I definitely do understand the criticism about making another wrench, It's not one of the more original ideas out there, but its something i know i can do at the very least. I think I may do another melee weapon, because I am having a bit of a hard time coming up with some decent shotgun replacements at the moment, and if i do that ill try to be more inventive with my designs.

here is what I have done with the model so far.

wrenchy4.jpg

And here is a quick concept for a hat, not really sure if I should go with the curly mustache or not, I keep flipping my opinion.

engihatredblue.jpg

engihat.jpg

again i really hope i don't come across as sounding overly defensive, I am thankful for any response really.
  • ABCZZT
    IanJ wrote: »
    My theme is: Mechanic

Isn't he already a mechanic? I think
    "trucker" may be a better theme
    for you to try, because to me, that's
    what he looks like with the beard
    and moustache and hat.

Please don't think I'm insulting you.
    I think I may do another melee weapon

The rules say you can't make two
    of the same type of weapon/hats.
    They have to go in different slots.

If you meant you'd replace the
    wrench with something else,
    then never mind.
  • IanJ
    well when i mean mechanic im thinking more automechanic, but trucker might be a better fit.

oh and no 2 of the same thing? thanks for the heads up. darn, i need to re read those rules.
  • Thomas Truong
    You say you don't have much experience modeling?
    That wrench is pretty boss dude, continue beveling (smoothing) out those edges towards the top of the wrench like you did with the bottom and it'll be a good fit.

I'm liking your concept for the hat as well. As for the beard, see how far you get with modeling it and post it here. Some folks may be able to voice their opinion better based on if they can see it in 3d.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18

engihatredblue.jpg

engihat.jpg

again i really hope i don't come across as sounding overly defensive, I am thankful for any response really.
    Hah. I'm digging the hat. I know Brutal Legend already used the "Killmaster" pun, but I think it may be called for here.
    060906motorhead_LemmyKilmister.jpg
  • Cheeezy
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Hah. I'm digging the hat. I know Brutal Legend already used the "Killmaster" pun, but I think it may be called for here.
    060906motorhead_LemmyKilmister.jpg

Well since it is a trucker theme "The Motor Head" might also work equally with a more subtle Lemmy ref.
  • IanJ
    ha ha the motor head, that's actually a pretty good name!

here is the updated model, I still got some smoothing group issues but I will address that.

wrenchy6.jpg

and here it is with the engineer.

engiwithwrenchy.jpg

and a blue one for the heck of it. I did make it a bit bigger in this picture.

engiwithwrenchy2.jpg

I am fairly satisfied with how it has gone so far. I think I may want to increase the handle a bit and make the top parts a bit bigger so it is more club like. Then I guess I gotta unwrap and texture it.
  • Larate
    Again, it's not a second wrench.
  • christermime
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    Really looking forward to seeing the beard, it looks like engie was meant to have it. hahaha
  • IanJ
    just another quick concept of the hat, to give it a bit more dimension. I added some lines to the beard to the beard but i don't know if I will keep them, its going to be pretty small on the texture so it might not be worth it. I also dirtied up the hat a bit.

engi34thsfacerender.jpg
  • Khthon
    I thought it was going to be a trucker hat/hair reference? Those are usually mesh on the back, might be a bunch of work , could just texture it on somehow.

mesh-trucker-caps-5021.jpg
  • Twigbag
    Love the beard and hat... do it!
  • IanJ
    Ok, here is what I got for the hat, I had to redo it a few times but I think I got it close enough to where I want it. added just a little bit of specularity for the render, which wont be in the final model.
    I'm hoping with a proper texture it will look even better.

I worked it down to 864 tris.

beard7.jpg
    beard8.jpg
  • Khthon
    The hat's bill might need to be smoothed a little.
  • Kazuma
  • Simski
    I think the beard and hat might have to be separate items. Hat and Misc.
    Due to that the hat goes on the head, while the mustache/sideburns goes on his face :O

It is looking pretty cool so far though.
  • IanJ
    if it was broken up though, it would be more then one item.

and just a tiny tiny update, I lowered the side burn bits and I think it looks a bit better. beard9.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    I don't see the problem with making the beard a misc item, then you would have 1 hat 1 misc 1 melee, and still be able to make a primary and/or secondary.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    The hat could use some more polys
  • IanJ
    well shoot i never thought of doing that before haha I guess it would work actually, and i could put more polys into both if i wanted... hmm i will think about this!
  • fastturtle
    That bill is really blocky - I agree with the idea to separate them into two items. That or make the chops less spiky and more like a solid shape - cleaner. Like this fine gentlemanne:

mutton.jpg
  • Mad Mike
    I totally admire the trucker beard, and the name suggested fits it just great. Just make sure to write "The Mötor Head", with the diaeresis. As suggested, making the chops smoother would certainly improve it even further.
  • Simski
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with making the beard a misc item, then you would have 1 hat 1 misc 1 melee, and still be able to make a primary and/or secondary.

Yes.
    Also if the beard and hat are made different items, you can afford to make both of them higher poly and have more detailed textures.
  • Hotdogbunker
    My god, this may be the greatest hat to ever grace TF2 keep it up!
  • BaronVonFail
    i love the idea of you to do the beard as a misc the only "hat" it will look odd on is the texas slim's shine dome for obvious reasons.

Edit

example.jpg

Maybe not all that bad and sorry for the beard stealing :V
  • IanJ
    man that really bums me out hearing this haha. Unfortunately I dont know if this idea is going to work. Its been a while since I updated, in the mean time I've done a redesign of the hat, Lost the spikeyness, and started on the 3d model. I think it looks better personally although initially i was bummed about losing the spikes.

engibeardconcept2.jpg

anyways as I was working on it I came to the realization that this beard probably will not work, it only fits right now because he has no expression but once he starts moving his jaws and making expressions, it will probably start looking really weird and have all sorts of clipping going on. I don't know if it will be that noticeable but i have a feeling it might. so I am thinking I may just drop this idea all together and start over on a new class. Makes me sad because I like this idea but I just don't think its going to work. I don't know though. Should I continue making it and see it if works or should i just start fresh right now?
  • Simski
    It's a darn shame, but I think you may be right :(
  • Karkasmolenklok
    It's too bad you can't make it change with his expression.
  • IanJ
    I am back and i bring with me...

NEW CLASS
    NEW THEME
    NEW STUFF

What I have decided upon is to do the SPY this time, and the theme will be, Detective.

I have 2 items conceptualized right now. still figuring out the finer details but the basic ideas are there

First one is blues brothers inspired shades. I think they would go really nicely with the fedora, as well as working by themselves. Hopefully they wont make him look like he is blind.

bluesbrosglasses.jpg

to go along with that, I wish to give the spy a snub nose revolver. I like these and i think it would fit the detective theme well. This is just a paintover of the regular revolver.

snubby3.jpg

a size chart to give me a rough impression on how big it will be compared to the other weapons.

sizechartja.jpg

right now the handle is a bit small, but i will make sure it fits.

not exactly sure what to do with the last item, I don't think I want to do a knife replacement, pretty satisfied with how that looks and fits with the character. I will probably do a watch.

so there it is. it really sucks to start over but I think this is a stronger idea, and I think I will be happier with it in the end.
  • Simski
    Make a detective's hat :D
  • BANG!
    That's really cool i love the glasses and the gun can't wait to see this done =P
  • IanJ
    I am not sure I would need to make a detectives hat, the fedora is pretty much the style of hat that i would make if i did, and it already exists. A Sherlock Holmes type hat would not fit the style that I want. I'm shooting for a Blues Brothers, Dick Tracey, Chinatown (the movie) sort of thing.
  • BaronVonFail
    i think you should make a hat with some form of recording device on it but has to be similar in the way camera bear is you know how well hidden that thing is....

The sherlock homes one has been done alot.
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    That is a great revolver, love the shape and texture of the barrel.
    For your third item a watch might be the best bet!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Man, that comparison makes the ambassador seem really out of place.
  • Psyke
    misc.

please make some form of an fbi or law badge,
  • IanJ
    well the glasses would be a misc item so you can wear it with hats. I had an idea to do a law badge replacement for the disguise kit, but i guess i don't really see why that would need to be replaced.
  • Khthon
    A watch based on the Maltese Falcon? (Humphrey Bogart, famous Film Noir)

maltese_falcon.jpg
    mn_falcon01.jpg
    maltese-falcon-by-content-artofmanlinessdotcom.jpg

Here are some antique watches that a detective in the 20s-40s might wear-

1.jpg
    roskopf-swivel-lug-watch.jpg
    asprey9koblone2.jpg
    AR-258669040.jpg

Maybe change your theme from Detective to Film Noir (that's the type of movies where the detectives you're thinking of are from - stark, black and white, gloomy, hardboiled, crime, betrayal, dames, hard drinking detectives) then you have a TON more stuff to draw ideas from and ideas for names etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir
  • Gerrund
    Or maybe a watch with Scout's Mom on it dressed as a femme fatale? They were a big part of the Film Noir genre, so if you do decide to flip to that, maybe you can do something involving them.
  • IanJ
    I am definitely pulling from film noir but I don't know if i want to go flat out that. maybe Private Eye would be a better term instead of just Detective?
  • Gerrund
    That would be interesting. It would let you use the idea of a gumshoe, a flatfoot, and other terms used for police and Private Eyes.
  • Khthon
    I don't think going Film Noir would hurt anything. If anything it will give you more stuff to pull from.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/filmnoir

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQvqZwRwsM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGp26VI2270&feature=channel[/ame]

Idea- For the watch you could call it the Maltese Hawk or the Maltese Fulcrum (a fulcrum is part of a clock that sort of sounds like 'falcon').
  • IanJ
    A watch concept. kinda dig it, will probably do a few more though because this is kinda tricky.

watchconcept1.jpg

and just for the hell of it, here is a really quick and dirty paintover of a screenshot to help me imagine what the revolver might look like in game.

perspectiverender.jpg
  • Cheeezy
    Pretty sick. You know... batman was a detective.