Home Technical Talk

Texture Proof Sheets

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
I know what they are, but for those of you that have created proof sheets, as I haven't had to for whatever reason, what did you include in the sheet? Obviously diffuse maps, but did you include spec and normal as well? Also how big should the sheet itself be resolution wise or does it really matter?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    A google search on "Texture Proof Sheet" returned me
    yellow_warning.gif No results found for "Texture Proof Sheet".
    Maybe clarify for others first what it means?, I have some ideas but no clear understanding of the term.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean an image in your portfolio that shows your texture flats?

Considering that most people run their browsers these days at 1024 pixels wide (check your web host's stats), then I would suggest not making your images any wider than around 900 pixels. This leaves room for scroll bars and the like, as well as giving some "breathing room" so your website doesn't look cramped.

You can also make them into giant thumbnails, clickable to reveal the full-size shot at 1280 x whatever.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting name, I just call them "textures". The context the word is used should be enough for people to understand exactly what you're talking about.
    I usually show all the maps in a single 900x900 image, the same size as all the other main images in my site to keep things consistent.

Unless of course you're talking about something else then I have no idea :)
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I had no idea what a "texture proof sheet" was until reading this :P I think the laymans term is simply "textures" ;)
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    This looks like I could just place this question here instead of starting a thread for it.
    What are THIS (below) presentation pictures called then?
    I used to call it "making off" or "details sheet" but what is the idustry term for it?
    Brotherguard___making_of_by_The_5.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture flats is a better term methinks, basically "all the textures laid out flat"
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    THE 5 wrote: »
    What are THIS (below) presentation pictures called then?

GA competitions call them "construction sheets" and "texture sheets". You could also call them "breakdowns".
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Yozora wrote: »
    GA competitions call them "construction sheets" and "texture sheets". You could also call them "breakdowns".
    Great, thanks Yozora!
    I've been looking for the name on the DWIV page but could not find it.
    For my portfolio I'll go with "construction sheet".
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Well the company that wants it referred to it as a proof sheet... maybe this is why I don't know much about them.. It's all of the textures used together in one jpeg. I apologize I thought this was a common industry term I had never heard of. I know what a "texture" is, lol. I'm talking about multiple textures from the same project together in a "proof".

So is a texture flat what it's referred to then? I'm only going by what they said. They just wanted every texture created put in one sheet for ease of viewing. I had seen it done before but I guess the name was something different.

EDIT... yep after searching texture sheet I found this posted by turpedo here on PC.
    This is what I was talking about.

texture_sheet.jpg
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The most common term I've heard is texture flats. I usually display 4 textures in a quad configuration that fits within 960, so they are about 480 squared. I display all of the maps that actually show off something. So Diffuse, Specular, Normal, but I usually don't show the alpha or ambient, especially if its a just a couple black and white spots on a black map. I usually won't show generic textures that don't don't show off anything. You can look at my portfolio for examples if you want. If its for an art test, they definitely want to see every texture, but for a portfolio, only the important ones should be enough.

A lot of people do the diagonal cuts and show all 3 on a single square, but I personally don't like that method.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The most common term I've heard is texture flats. I usually display 4 textures in a quad configuration that fits within 960, so they are about 480 squared. I display all of the maps that actually show off something. So Diffuse, Specular, Normal, but I usually don't show the alpha or ambient, especially if its a just a couple black and white spots on a black map. I usually won't show generic textures that don't don't show off anything. You can look at my portfolio for examples if you want. If its for an art test, they definitely want to see every texture, but for a portfolio, only the important ones should be enough.

A lot of people do the diagonal cuts and show all 3 on a single square, but I personally don't like that method.

Thanks Konrad. Yeah that is exactly what I'm talking about. Its for a test so I assume when they say everything they meant spec/norm/diffuse etc. I've seen the diagonal cuts too, I considered it just so I could keep the sizes of the textures larger since there are about 5 512x512 textures that I need to show off each with diffuse /spec/normal so 15ish... I don't like that method either though. It looks tacky to me. I guess I will just have to cut back on my overall flat size to fit them in.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Then there's a texture atlas, but I doubt that's what is meant by "texture proof sheet" in this case
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since it's for a test, not your portfolio site, then they won't want you to scale them down. Better to present them all at their original sizes.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Since it's for a test, not your portfolio site, then they won't want you to scale them down. Better to present them all at their original sizes.

Alright thanks