Home General Discussion

Alan Wake

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't start mourning yet, alan wake is just one game.

I guess in the end they knew that this kind of game would do better on the consoles, that and they have had to scale it back too, (wasn't it supposed to be free-roaming early on?)

It still is funny though, considering it was going to be the big intel multicore flagship thing?
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    It was also supposed to be the next big, new Directx10 thing back in 2007, lol.

Sure it's just one game, but it seems the writing is on the wall. It's harder to justify getting a gaming level graphics card when this kind crap gets pulled, with paper thin excuses.

I remember playing the first Condemned game , and it was much better on the PC. But no such luck with Condemned 2, would have loved playing that on the PC as well.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    This game is gonna rock. Glad it's 360 only, even if it may only be for a while. Maybe it's because these kinds of games sell better on consoles? Not sure.

And yeah, sucks to be PC gamers now. Adventure games on the PC are just console ports anyways. The only thing exclusive to PC gamers is graphics quality and mouse and kb. I would love to get this on Steam, but meh.. it's a game and I'll play it where ever it goes.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Eh, SCII and DIII make me happy to be a PC gamer. And Rage.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I just wonder if they'll have buildings being blown apart by random tornadoes or something like they had in that tech demo. Though I imagine that's something that will happen in the story and they were just flapping their dicks about with tornado force winds.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Eh, SCII and DIII make me happy to be a PC gamer. And Rage.
    Yeah, but just 3 games to account for the other few million people who game too? I would not touch any of those games. PC gamers need more than FPS's, MMO's and RTS's to get by. PC Gaming can get old very quick because of the amount of these kinds of games. A hand full of really good ones, then the rest are just poop.

Games like Alan Wake need to come out on PC too. PC Gamers need more high profile variety of games.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Fuck, I forgot this became 360 only. was really hoping to get the PC version.. the PC versions of Max payne were leagues better than their console counterparts.. but they were also made specifically for pc at that time.

Can't wait for this game, it's gonna be so awesome.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just want most games to be specific for PC or specific for console, too many games with crappy ports.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    the PC versions of Max payne were leagues better than their console counterparts.. but they were also made specifically for pc at that time.
    Exactly. Max Payne only existed on PC for me. The hell if I would buy a console version.

Alan Wake can work fine on PC, freakin make it Games For Windows and use a 360 controller. Batman:AA was awesome on PC. But I have a feeling Alan Wake will find it's way on the PC. Just late.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    I lost all interest the moment they announced that it would have to be changed for the console audience and hardware. But if this review speaks the truth I am not missing much: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/alan-wake-review?page=1
  • Kev_Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eurogamer are idiots, they gave the original Max Payne 6/10 back in the day. They're Remedyphobic.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    neolith wrote: »
    I lost all interest the moment they announced that it would have to be changed for the console audience and hardware. But if this review speaks the truth I am not missing much: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/alan-wake-review?page=1

If this review speaks the truth then you ARE missing much: http://kotaku.com/5527633/alan-wake-review-transcending-its-medium?skyline=true&s=i
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair the Eurogamer review was totally missing the point every other one saw... Part of me does want to say "it was written by a girl so what do you expect" but then I know a lot of girls getting moist at this coming out soon so it can't just be that...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    neolith wrote: »

FYI, checking this reviewer's posting history makes for a fun exercise:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/archive.php?author=100

She has reviewed maybe 2 AAA games before, and the vast majority of her reviews are for ultra-casual cartoony titles (oh hi, Farmville!). Why she got to review Alan Wake, I have no idea. Clearly it is not the game for her.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Why she got to review Alan Wake, I have no idea. Clearly it is not the game for her.

controversial review = more traffic for the site
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    7/10 is not the end of the world, and there were a few valid points there too, that there has been a ton of games that came out ever since the game was delayed that expanded alot of stuff with that genre.

9/10 games should be reserved for the very very unforgettable experiences that you'll be playing 10 years from now.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    grrrr it would be perfect on PS3
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watering down games so that the blind masses will like the taste is the best way to cut your own fucking legs off.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's possibly a great game, as long as you dont read up too much on what it originally had in store, much like bioshock.

otherwise you'll end up in the "get off my lawn" crowd along with me :(
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    7/10 is not the end of the world, and there were a few valid points there too, that there has been a ton of games that came out ever since the game was delayed that expanded alot of stuff with that genre.

9/10 games should be reserved for the very very unforgettable experiences that you'll be playing 10 years from now.

It got the same score as alone in the dark... Which clearly means something must be broken.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Yeeeah I was very interested back when I saw the first tech demos. Then it went silent, then it became console exclusive, then it became linear instead of free roaming, then they pushed the visuals down a notch to fit consoles, then it became 6-8 hours long.
    Then I lost interest.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Watering down games so that the blind masses will like the taste is the best way to cut your own fucking legs off.
    Here we go with the sheeple bashing.

SheepleAnimated.jpg
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    FYI, checking this reviewer's posting history makes for a fun exercise

She gave Just Dance a 7/10. Contrast to Metacritic rating of 48/100.
    She gave Dante's Inferno a 6/10. Contrast to Metacritic rating of 75/100.

HMMM. :poly142:
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I TOO AM A SHEEPLE
    BY CONDEMNING THE SHEEPLE, I BECOME YET ANOTHER FORM OF THE SHEEP...
    le
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    FYI, checking this reviewer's posting history makes for a fun exercise:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/archive.php?author=100

She has reviewed maybe 2 AAA games before, and the vast majority of her reviews are for ultra-casual cartoony titles (oh hi, Farmville!). Why she got to review Alan Wake, I have no idea. Clearly it is not the game for her.
    That's interesting.

I was referring to that review because it was the only one I had come across then. Other sites seem to have a different view of the game. I'll try to take a look at some more of them on the weekend to gert some other opinions.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Wow. She comments on his outfit.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Vrav wrote: »
    Wow. She comments on his outfit.

Baahh I wish I could pull off the blazer with hoodie look... hmmm
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Had a talk and presentation by Oskari himself here in my school :) a lot of insight to the development of Alan Wake. Developments been about 5 years approx, and they felt to be in a fortunate position after the success of Max Payne 2, taking a 2 year break, and wanting to do something new, they decided to take their time.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I watched the video review on IGN, and it seems like just the type of game I love. Moody, great setting, tons of atmosphere, fun combat.

Still hoping it'll see a PC release, because I'd love to play it after everyone has gone to sleep, alone in the dark with headphones on.

But Microsoft says it's meant to be played from a couch in the living room on a 360, because only then will the game truly immerse you in it's world...

halo-master-chief-couch.jpg
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    hyrumark wrote: »

halo-master-chief-couch.jpg

That is, so. fucking. cool.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    crasong wrote: »
    Had a talk and presentation by Oskari himself here in my school :) a lot of insight to the development of Alan Wake. Developments been about 5 years approx, and they felt to be in a fortunate position after the success of Max Payne 2, taking a 2 year break, and wanting to do something new, they decided to take their time.

He didn't happen to mention why Max Payne 3 looks terrible in every way did he?

I'm still hoping for a Splinter Cell Conviction turn around on that game, as SCC turned out fantastic. Its not Max Payne unless hes in a snow covered dark alley shooting in slow mo with a big leather jacket on... Being in a bright jungle in day light with a beard, bald head and vest and using a cover system just isn't Max Payne in my eyes :(
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    He didn't happen to mention why Max Payne 3 looks terrible in every way did he?

I'm still hoping for a Splinter Cell Conviction turn around on that game, as SCC turned out fantastic. Its not Max Payne unless hes in a snow covered dark alley shooting in slow mo with a big leather jacket on... Being in a bright jungle in day light with a beard, bald head and vest and using a cover system just isn't Max Payne in my eyes :(
    Umm. Remedy isn't developing Max Payne 3. Rockstar is.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    What I've seen of Max Payne 3 so far makes me fear for the franchise. Throw in that grim movie they made recently and they managed to kill one of the most enjoyable game narratives of recent times. How can you take something with such a pronounced visual style and plot and go so wrong?!

And yeah, its out of Remedy's hands now.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    That Eurogamer review seems spot on if you look at comments from people who've played the leaked 360 version. Will have to play it myself to know for sure, but by the sound of it it's a bit of an unremarkable game.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm prob. going to get it either way. it seems differen't from most recent games, which is good.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    odium: haha yeah some guy did ask him whether Remedy was in anyway involved, but i'm afraid not. All he said was "we sold the IP off to rockstar and this time they're handling Max Payne, they are an awesome developer and I can't wait to see what they do with it."

Also, it's a damn shame i've got no xbox, since theres no more pc version atm.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished it, it's fun, atmospheric and moves along fairy quickly. it's not scary though, or even creepy, they pull the "it's behind you!" trick a lot, and you'll sometimes see them spawn enemies right in front of you, but you do get a bit of warning when they do either of those.
    not much variety in weapons, and there's no healing items, kinda sucks since enemies can and will push you in to a corner and cut you to pieces.
    the driving sections were boring, and feel like left overs from when it was an open world game.

it could have been better, especially considering how long remedy spent on it, but for what it is, it's enjoyable and definitely worth playing. hopefully the sequel/season two will be better.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    ZackF wrote: »

She gave Dante's Inferno a 6/10

Maybe she's qualified after all, dantes inferno was one of the most critically acclaimed awful games in a long time.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine got delivered yesterday but the special edition didn't fit in my letterbox. Going to pick it up from the post office and play it tonight. Weekend overtime is gonna cut into the action tho :<
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked it up this morning, seems pretty good so far, pretty tense even though i only just finished the first chapter.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The limited edition bound book box is awesome!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, our lead designer at work picked up the limited edition, it looks snazzy.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just beat Episode 1... Bit of a mixed bag atm. I'll point out the faults first of all...

Textures - They are, in spots, terrible. I can always accept a few low res textures, but there are places that are not just "bad", but "totally awful". There was a door in the diner for example, that had at max 4 colours, palletted, and was using a 64x64 texture tops... Really shocking. Some trees were the same way... But then, some things are uber high res, I just dont get it...?

Effects - i understand that rendering the particle/effect buffer at a lower resolution is faster for fillrate, but man, it just makes everything look 640x480 over 5 feet away. The sad thing is that objects in the background fight with things in the foreground, so you have sharp objects with a very jagged edge. Also the lack of soft particles really hurts the fog effect.

The Combat - This is something thats disapointed me... Its just a PC game. Its Max Payne 2's camera, on a pad. No thought at all towards control. Seems really heavy and lazy.

The facial animation - My word. When Wake speaks, in places, I can't help but say "Huuur duurrr" in my mind because his eyes are all over the place. Its like hes had a stroke. The other characters are just as bad.

The pop-in - Ok, so you can expect pop-in to a certain degree, and to be fair its not all that bad... But if your going to record videos for movie cinematics played in the game (Like the intro etc) then come on, have a little care... One building popped right into view, right in the cameras face, and this is a pre-recorded video...

The Paper Scripts - Guys... Seriously... If you present me with something new, I WILL look at it. So when you repsent me with a piece of paper that tells me whats happening at least five minutes down the road, its kind of a buzz kill... I dont want to know I'm about to see myself on a TV. I dont want to know the sherrif turns up. Tell me these things AFTER I've done them.

Animation - Erm, yeah, same rigs as Max Payne 2 it seems...

And now that good...

The gameplay - Its actually pretty nice nice. They gave a lot of atmospheric tricks a good going over, and it just feel full of tension when you play. The Taken are a bit lazy how they appear, but each battle is tough, unlike other games at the start.

Story - SEEMS good so far. Very well produced, and I could easily see it as a movie/TV show of its own with no tweaks. The way Wake talks to you directly about whats going on is quite nice.

Anyway, as I said, its early days, and I'm pretty knackered from work this week so things will likely grind my gears more tonight hence why I'll pick it back up tomorrow.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are people feeling about that game so far (please no spoilers I'm working too many hours to finish it so quick). I was a little concerned when I read Odiums comments above, but its shaping up to be such an engrossing experience!

Little disappointed with some of the prop work and texturing, for the time available you would expect some mad polish. I donno if people have been to the bit with the plane but there is a low resolution door half the size of your character, really pulls you out the world.

I'm loving the scripts in advance of the event. Its totally twisted. Because I'm having to play it in small 1/2 episode chunks the surprise is still there. Story is really going somewhere. If you can forgive its faults it really has been the best game this year for me, totally sold and engaged on the bright falls universe.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also best special edition for a long time!

AlanWakeLimitedCollector%27sEdition.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just beat it today, took me a little longer as I haven't had the time just recently. The plot was a bit odd in places, they introduced this Thomas Zane character in an odd way witht ever telling you who he was, he just "appeared" in the story.

Anyway, overall it was a great game, but not game of the year material sadly. There just wasn't enough polish there with the time spent on it. Odd textures, bad clipping and poor control, plus the combat at times was really bad (And that camera, it feels like a last gen camera).

I would say 8/10 is a pretty good score for it. If you look past its faults, its a damn good game, its just a shame there wasnt more polish :(
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed the game even though I played it just partially(we were playing at a friend's place) Reminds me of Sanitarium somehow. I dig the characters and the story but I agree with odium about the controls.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally really like this game so far. I think the controls work just fine, and are quite smooth, the aiming for sure.

I definitely think it has some good suspense in spots, but it depends if up play it on hard or whatnot.

But I do agree textures are low res, animations for facial anims are off, but oh well. I really like the gameplay overall, and that someone is doing something different like Heavy Rain did. Not just the standard FPS run and gun.

Yes you do run and gun in this game, but you can't usually just run away.. you will die. At least on hard, they WILL catch up to you, and beat you down. You have to conserve your ammo and dodge often.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I picked up the SE and finished it last weekend. Great game apart from a few niggles which i'll save for the sake of spoilers.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    After Uncharted 2, this is probably the best spectator game I've seen in a long time. Playing it right now at home, and it's even just fun to watch, what with the game broken down into episodes. Alan Wake himself is a huge jerk though, goddamn.