Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Artemstudios [Updated Folio!]

Replies

• Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    New bike looks great! Like the factory polished alternative to the other robo-kill bike. Very cool!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the new car wallpaper :) Awesome Portfolio! Bookmarked!

Question: Are you fairly generous with the addition of extra loops when doing this kind of modeling. Or is it really just a few to get the hard surface. I'd like to get some tips on this :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Git back ta werk !!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    awesome Bike!!! Are those hi poly vehicles rendered with v ray? but whatever its rendered in, any chance of a tutorial like your last one on how to?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty shweet. The last bike looks nice. You should put this stuff into GTAIV.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!

Lee3dee - Not really - I'm pretty mean to edgeloops and don't let them have any friends to talk to while working for me. Keep it pretty simple - and use them where needed, having a few extra loops here and there is fine but remember that wherever you put them your modifier will use those points as reference and you may end up getting angles where you may not want them or it may become too sharp. I usually set up a connect on each object that will dictate how hard or soft the edges will be and use that number (+/- 5-10) to maintain the same sharpness to that objects surface. I thought there were some useful tips for high poly hard surface modeling around here on PC somewhere already..

EricV - They're rendered in Mental Ray - the setup is pretty straight forward, I can just do a quick run down right now. Basically it's a studio setup that photographers use for real cars:

studio_car_photography.jpg

Basic room, 2-3 lights, sometimes I use a reflective white plane (zc01), skylight, and final gather for the soft bounced diffuse light. Rest is just materials acting well together. I've also been adding slight color correction and color balance effects just to get a better final result.

I know there's some mental ray car rendering tuts out there - I tried some a long time ago and even though I never really got the same result, I'm sure other people got them and I was just confused at the time.. (which is why I went back to scanline and creating my own material setup for a long time) I'd like to make some extra tutorials.. I just need to find some time to break a model apart after work and go through the steps. Unfortunately even though it's not terribly complicated I would like to be thorough and make it easy on people reading it.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Molodets Artem! Very interesting info. No wonder your stuff looks good. :)
  • zacko9000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just checked out your site, the LS9 engine made my brain explode.
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff!
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Wow man fantastic stuff !!!
    Your portfolio is amazing from high poly to your renders triple A work man.
    I have a quick question along the lines of Lee3Dee's question. I do hard surface modeling a lot myself and I always use edges to create the sharp lines I need, but this is really slow going, you mentioned using edge loops sparingly, and that you usually set up a connect on each object that will dictate how hard or soft the edges will be. Can you elaborate on “Connect on each object” I’m not at all familiar with that.

Thanks again for the truly inspiring work you do.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the cars are SOOOOOOOO cool. lol
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    ohh I see. Whatever insight is helpful, thanks man
  • X-Convict
    Options