Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    What's the texture resolution?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i used the original textures for that render which is 4k, should scale them down to 2k
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Hah, cool. I figured they had to be massive but I'm sure this will look ace even after the reduction. AAA work, man.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks amazing, crits wise I would say your spec map seems far too shiney, and the stretching on the badly UVed gun grip is bad :(
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Heh, I didn't notice the uvs on the grip until he pointed it out, but that is pretty bad :P. The fire selection text looks like a straight decal overlay, I think just a slight reduction in opacity or a blending mode will help it blend into the material.

Otherwise, looks great.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Actually i think that if the Textures gets Scaled down to 2048 almost all this issues will not be noticeable, just give that Grip zone more uvspace and done.

EDIT, I think its just the Specular, because the normal map looks correct.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm rather disappointed m8, the texture seems rushed and the materials are lacking in comparison to some of your other work.

Bland materials. The black grunge everywhere is quite overdone and doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's just... everywhere with no rhyme or reason. I'd consider greatly toning it down on the diffuse. The edge scrapes are also placed with no thought, as areas that would never get touched have scrapes yet areas that get damaged easily have no scratches. The plastic looks tbh just like a noisy base with enins scratch brushes on it, and it looks too similar to the existing metal as well. The dirt is a good touch but it should be broken up more and added to more corners and such that couldn't be touched from a simple surface cleaning.

I'd also consider chipping off some of the fire selector paint and magazine text. It only makes sense that they'd be a little worn off when the area around it is all damaged.

The other glaring issue is the texture stretching. There's some huge density issues and if you're using a 4k map like you say you are, then it should be crisp and clear all around. Currently you're not utilizing all the space and thus it looks as if you're using a 1024. The flashhider, magazine clamp, and the front of the pistol grip are particularly nasty areas.

Quite honestly your render scene is carrying it. Offline renderers like Vray are meant for beauty instead of performance, and thus use more complex math for displaying normal maps. The result you get from an offline render is not representative of the result you'd get from a realtime game engine, so you may want to consider using some form of realtime rendering like Xoliul's Max shader, 8monkey Marmoset, or Unreal UDK.

That's all for now. I know you have the skills to make an incredibly awesome texture, so get to it!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    That texture is sick!
    Wolf, could you give me your base metal texture? cause i am trying to find a good one, and this one looks great, or somebody knows a good tutorial that helps me creating a base metal texture
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reflection map is what gives most of that Shiny metal effect.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Racer445 wrote: »
    I'm rather disappointed m8

oh ffs. Will some 1 slap racer upside the head. I know you mean well, but there are ways to go about giving critique without sounding like an elitest-snob
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    EricV wrote: »
    oh ffs. Will some 1 slap racer upside the head. I know you mean well, but there are ways to go about giving critique without sounding like an elitest-snob

Way to quote one isolated statement and completely neglect to recognise that racer also gave incredibly detailed feedback which is way more useful than "looks cool man" -whether he's right or not.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Harry wrote: »
    Way to quote one isolated statement and completely neglect to recognise that racer also gave incredibly detailed feedback which is way more useful than "looks cool man" -whether he's right or not.

Well... in this case, he happens to be correct. Besides the texture stretching (and the stretching across the front of the pistol grip is pretty bad), the physical wear depicted on the finish isn't very accurate at all.

Lonewolf, I don't know if you actually have any real firearms to handle and examine as reference, but if you're interested in having hi-res photos of some of my working guns (not the safe queens) to get a better idea of wear patterns and the way the finishes start to degrade under use, just IM me and I'll break out my wife's DSLR.

Same offer goes for anybody on this board that does weapons modeling.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Well... in this case, he happens to be correct.

I agree, I just think racer summed up most the things i would say anyway and didn't want to add on an empty "i agree fix it" post ;)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    I'm rather disappointed m8, the texture seems rushed and the materials are lacking in comparison to some of your other work.

Bland materials. The black grunge everywhere is quite overdone and doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's just... everywhere with no rhyme or reason. I'd consider greatly toning it down on the diffuse. The edge scrapes are also placed with no thought, as areas that would never get touched have scrapes yet areas that get damaged easily have no scratches. The plastic looks tbh just like a noisy base with enins scratch brushes on it, and it looks too similar to the existing metal as well. The dirt is a good touch but it should be broken up more and added to more corners and such that couldn't be touched from a simple surface cleaning.

I'd also consider chipping off some of the fire selector paint and magazine text. It only makes sense that they'd be a little worn off when the area around it is all damaged.

The other glaring issue is the texture stretching. There's some huge density issues and if you're using a 4k map like you say you are, then it should be crisp and clear all around. Currently you're not utilizing all the space and thus it looks as if you're using a 1024. The flashhider, magazine clamp, and the front of the pistol grip are particularly nasty areas.

Quite honestly your render scene is carrying it. Offline renderers like Vray are meant for beauty instead of performance, and thus use more complex math for displaying normal maps. The result you get from an offline render is not representative of the result you'd get from a realtime game engine, so you may want to consider using some form of realtime rendering like Xoliul's Max shader, 8monkey Marmoset, or Unreal UDK.

That's all for now. I know you have the skills to make an incredibly awesome texture, so get to it!

thanx for the crit dude,

the black grunge, for sore reason i liked it so ill keep it

the edge scraping, i usually hate to use any even on gun, its just a personal reference, but youre right i did places the ones i did in the "wrong places" but i dont think its imported, it doesnt mean it cant look realistic

i think the fire selector is plastic too but im not sure :P

for the density issue, when i make weapon like that i give the parts u see from the FPV the bigger part of the texture and the rest gets smaller space

however i didnt see the grip stretch until u guys mentioned it, the magazine clamp got pretty small space cause it was the last part and i forgot about it lol, was too lazy to rearange the uvs when i found out how it looks

the reflection map made it too shiny i guess, ill try play with it some more

youre right it was rushed, ill put more time in it and fix some stuff but there wont be a dramatic change

the reason i used the 4k map is to get a high res render, it should look the same with 2k and half a sized render

thanx for the crits, its very good

:thumbup:
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn now i know why the texture of the clamp looks like the

i gave the bigger pace to the inside and the out side is stretched and small

bah, need to fix asap :P

thanx for the feedback guys
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    wow man,
    that looks great !
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »

I was referring to his entire reply, not just that one statement, I didnt feel it was necessary to quote the whole thing. I know there was some good feedback but the way some things were worded it read a lot like; 'I am better and superior to you'. I can't believe that I'm the only one who sees or feels this way.

such as using loaded words or phrases such as: I'm rather disappointed, bland materials. Glaring issues, particularly nasty. and then he goes off to give lonewolf a lesson in rendering 101. When I'm sure lonewolf knows the difference between what a game engine and offline renderer are good at and used for.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    eric v just get laid man .

I agree completely with racer , i would also resize the texture because the image is huge and the mistakes are more glaring that way :D , it also seems like it is straight out of the factory :( also another background would be nice so that the gun doesnt blend in so much , really solid modeling man, would be a shame to have it downtoned by the texture work :(
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    eric v just get laid man .

thats nice but would you care to comment on my argument.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EricV,

The reason why I said I was "disappointed" was because I am a bit of a fan of his older work dating all the way back to mods he worked on in 2002. He made some of my favorite diffuse lit texture sets ever (including that USP in his folio... gorgeous) so I know he can do better.

The critique I make probably comes off sounding harsh to many but that's how I roll. There's no reason to sugar coat things and say "HURR DOESN'T PLAY WELL TO MY EYES" or just "good job looks nice man" since mistakes shouldn't be applauded, instead I'll get straight to the point and tell you what I like and what I see wrong, focusing on the wrong since that's what brings down an otherwise great asset. While I'm glad to see it finished there are things to be improved. I'm not afraid to call em as I see em, and if that makes me sound elitist then so be it. It was never intended to sound like anything more than simple, honest critique.

And if he knew then wouldn't he already be using a realtime renderer?

@Lonewolf, I'm glad to see you around, thanks for addressing my post.

The black grunge isn't awful but is greatly overdone. Just try masking it off in areas so it doesn't look so repetitive. The edge scrapes aren't as big of a deal though keep it in mind for next time. The fire selector is metal but I'm talking about the printed on white and red indicators around it. If the area around it was all grunged up wouldn't the print be too?

As for density yeah prioritizing is cool man, though if you're using a 2048 you probably don't need to since that's a lot of space to work with and everything should look universally crisp.

Again I'd strongly consider using some form of realtime renderer to display game art, since that's going to be how a game engine will see it. Not only that but it takes seconds to get new shots changes instead of minutes to make new renders.

So yeah good to hear you'll make some edits, you know you can send me renders any time. :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mp5textured3.jpg

fixed few things, no dramatic changes

ill prob work on it some more later on
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is amazing... my jaw dropped seeing that last shot (well, it was already slightly open after seeing the first image).

Absolutely incredibly work, unfortunately I'm nowhere near in a position to offer any kind of crit so I'm just gonna sit and stare if ya don't mind! Really inspirational stuff too.

Seeing Racer's crit was awesome too. It's kinda crazy when someone like me looks at the first image and it looks perfect to me, but there's always some little things that make it look that bit better.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maaaad props, damn this looks good, id love to see some turotials on this, specially how you got it to looks so damn good in lowpoly.

only small thing i can point out is to give the normalmap on the grip a hard plastic like look that is a bit rough, but other than that i cant say anything else than that i had to scrape my jaw off the floor
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actualy after a few fixes i think it looks exelent, god damn, if you take a look at any AAA game out there they dont even reach this level of Quality.
    Good job!
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking loads better, only 2 things that shoot out at me.

1. The muzzle, some bad stretching, or something there, and being the first thing my eyes see, sort of ruins the rest of the model.

2. Some of the scratches seem too uniform, especially around the grip.

Thats all man.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats why he shound not post images this size, you must go Crazy making everything Pixel Perfect when in a normal game you will never see a model this close.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx alot guys, keep in mind that u wont even see the muzzle from the FPV

;)
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Perhaps showing a FPV shot would be a good idea then :poly121::poly124:
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Certainly looking a lot better just a sad shame you never fixed those cage issues on every one of your round objects :( A little tighter control over your cages will fix that. Other than that (and the spec map being still a bit too shinbey for my tastes) its quite a nice asset.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i was going to but forgot, ill fix it now

and ill make more renders later too
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice model and the textures are great apart from the small stretching at some places.

Aren't 13k tris a bit high for a game model though?
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What was the final model rendered in?
    and what kind of lighting did you use?

Also what texture size did you use?
  • Jojones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great man. any chance to post wires
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Jojones wrote: »
    looks great man. any chance to post wires

His WiP Thread

Wires are on page 3 or 4 I believe.

Edit: Also, nice work btw, didn't realize I hadn't actually commented on the model yet.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsta.jpg

heres a real time shader test, i think im gonna play some more with the maps though

thanx for the feedback again guys

:)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The little white dots around the scope, is that from the render?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    yeah force on AA in your video drivers! or take a really large shot and size it down... Or both!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    man this shit is hot.....
    thats all i have to say...unfortunately :P
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, so awesome... I hope you've found some work, you have immense talent
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really good dude. i cant comment on accuracy but aesthetically it Looks like it would definitely meet the standards of a title like MW2. Top stuff.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Heh, typical Lonewolf pink lens, looks great brah (well, except for the seam on the back of the stock).
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still quite a few basic material definition flaws but better than before, plus it's in realtime!
  • Sisqo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work Lonewolf! Best part is at first glance you can instantly tell who made it.
  • Chclve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats some great work man. The only thing I have to say is that the "usage" around the firemode switcher looks a bit wierd. Mabey a little more univen or not as clear (you dont switch firemode that often :P )
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Id like to see the diffuse and spec maps. Amazing work!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx alot guys,

heres another pass... ya need to move it around to see the materials, ill post more screenshots later

mp5realtime2.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Heh, typical Lonewolf pink lens, looks great brah (well, except for the seam on the back of the stock).

yeahhhh theres a couple of unfortunate seams
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    HOT! HOT! HOT! And yeah, a little more material definition. ^^