Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

art by me - WIP thread

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    sick update dood :3

agree about a leetle bit of dirt. His pants are looking a little noisy imo, some lighter areas of wear (with less noise) around the thighs, knees, ass, wherever would be cool. Face is lookin teh awsome

also turn your bloom down mang :P
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The Doom sticker is a cool touch, exactly the sort of stuff you'd wanna see on a recreation like this. I agree the graphic on the shirt needs to be there, but it really pops out a bit too much I think. Maybe have it a bit more washed out and worn down, like those graphics on tshirts tend to do?

Also this makes me wanna do a Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket to go along with him :x
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Wow this guys work absolutely blows... Looks like something an Australian would do! :P

I love the kid (pedophile), the textures are spot on (maybe cut back on the saturation a bit on that shirt design). The skin is done perfectly too (wow I REALLY sound like a 'phile now)....
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great!
    I agree with tgz that you should rough him up a bit. I remember being a kid and always wearing through the knees of my jeans and I could never (still can't) keep a pair of shoes looking fresh.

I think a thinner neck might help the oversized head flow a little better with the rest of the body.

Looking great man!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the crits and kind words, everyone. They definitely helped, a few things I already knew and planned to fix but a few things I missed or would have otherwise overlooked.

TGZ: Don't worry... The pogostick is in the works :D

nilknarf815: I'm not entirely sure what you meant, but hopefully i addressed it in the update as the whole bottom part of the shirt was bothering me for ages.

nizza: Bloom = turned down ;)

Xoliul: I addressed the shirt graphic, it was something I was planning on doing at some point. The shirt was looking plain and boring, so I was looking through some sprites from the games and decided to use one of the bosses :P Bit of an easter-egg for Commander Keen fans, kinda like the Doom sticker (being another id software game).
    Would totally be ace if you made his rocket!

Nate: I'll beat you up! Get coding, jerk! ;)

jakelear: Yeah, the neck was a little beefy and had been putting it off for ages. I've reshaped it a little now and should be looking nicer.

Nearly done with this guy.
    Areas left:
    - watch
    - arms
    - polish hair/eyebrows
    - scratches and scuff marks on the helmet
    - seam fixes
    - final spec
    - final normals

Anything else I missed or could improve on?

wip-keen-011.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Lighten up the pants and desaturate them a bit for more of a 80"s look. Shrink the neck thickness to the same size as his knee. Really scuff up with black lines the front of the shoes. Dirt on his hands, darker on his palms. Maybe even a few signs that he has wiped his dirty hands on his shirt and pants.

Keep going!
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    your captain keen is looking really good! will follow this for sure
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Hell yeah, dude, this is looking really solid. I agree about the neck, though, it's a bit thick at the moment (alternately, keep it the same thickness but shorten it). Hair needs to be a bit darker, I think, especially the eyebrows (they're getting a bit lost against the skin right now).

Love the asymmetry on the folds and tucks, btw.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Well he looks less creepy now.
    Here's some official art work for number 6
    keen6art_big.jpg
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Bad ass man! The shirt looks a lot better now, it doesn't stand out as much and fits the rest of the kid.

And I have been coding :P CAAAAAMMMMMMERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Looks awesome, good tweaks.
    Commander Keen was probably the first computer game that I put any serious hours into, can't wait for the final image
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    The belt of the kid looks a bit flat at the moment. You should increase the spec on the metal piece and make it look more metallic. You should also add some sort of leathery texture(both diffuse and normal) to the belt to make it more interesting.
    Other than that I think it looks great. You should add a reflection map (the eyes for example would get a more interesting specular) so you'll get a cooler rendering too.
    Good luck!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    His head is HUGE! I'm guessing that's some sort of wacky proportion you were going for though? Looks good either way!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly done with this guy. I'm going to power through the night to hopefully put the final pass on the textures.
    I still need to add some love to the belt and his watch and add some ambient shadowing here and there for extra pop, but everything else seems to be there.
    I've rigged him up and and put him in a real simple pose for now (I'll be doing full blendshapes for the face at some point), but will do a final pose once I've modeled his gun and pogostick.

Now for less babbling and more art:

wip-keen-012.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This is so fantastic. I think the watch could be bigger.

As a finishing touch, I think it would be great to see a close up pose to get that classic Keen character. Maybe even bust out a quick blaster too :)

keen6titleog7.gif
    commander-keen-5-ss1.gif
    keen4title.gif
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    this is awesome :)!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is fantastic, Emil. Really nice work.

I feel inspired to do some kind of Commander Keen fan art of my own. Pity my laptop is still in another country.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum: Awesome idea, man! I'll definitely do a few recreations once I get the rest of his gear modeled up and textured. I'll definitely be giving him a blaster.

Muzz: Thanks, glad you like it :D

Jackablade: Thanks, man. Sucks you still don't have your laptop.
    About the laptop, I knew a similar thing would have happened when I moved here, so I ordered mine from Australia on the US site to arrive in the US (about a week before I arrived). It actually turned out to be about $1,500 cheaper too.

Sorry, no update pics. Fixing a few things that I got in feedback e-mails from some old work buddies.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, Emil!
    if you want him to look more like kid and less like dwarf- better to make his hands smaller and neck thinner. and imho his head is too big.
    otherwise looks really trustful, i especially love the texture work!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great so far bro, especially the face texture. Really nice ;)