Home General Discussion

Uh Oh... (ActivisionBlizzard rant inside)

So I know there's been a fair bit of concern over whether Blizzard would get all 'Kotick'd' after the Activision deal, and so far they seem to have been free of any Activision taint.

But now:

http://eu.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33

I REALLY hope this isn't the start of something real bad and a sign of things to come. I know a couple of pets or mounts or whatever isn't much, but up until a couple months ago, there'd been nothing in the way of 'real-money' items for like 4 years.

Although I guess when you've only got 15 or so million people paying £9 a month, times must be hard.

Hmm, doesn't seem very Blizzard like at all.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't worry too much about those. The plushies where in huge demand before they offically came out with them. One player was even making them and selling them on her own and had a detailed set of instructions oh how to make them on your own. I think they shut her down and started making their own about that time, which kotick or not they probably would have done, no company is willing to allow that.

As for the online pets, maybe its not as sinister as you think?
    http://www.wow.com/2010/02/17/blizzard-donates-1-1-million-to-make-a-wish-from-pandaren-pet-s/
    But maybe that was some evil plot to get people warm and fuzzy with the idea of buying content? The pets are more like key chains and don't do anything in the game. I would be concerned when they cross the line and start selling actual items.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    So I know there's been a fair bit of concern over whether Blizzard would get all 'Kotick'd' after the Activision deal, and so far they seem to have been free of any Activision taint.

But now:

http://eu.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33

I REALLY hope this isn't the start of something real bad and a sign of things to come. I know a couple of pets or mounts or whatever isn't much, but up until a couple months ago, there'd been nothing in the way of 'real-money' items for like 4 years.

Although I guess when you've only got 15 or so million people paying £9 a month, times must be hard.

Hmm, doesn't seem very Blizzard like at all.

Agreed, let's hope it isn't though considering Kotick is such a big part of the company. The thing is, he has made it clear on many occasions that he values money above all else, so things could in theory change.

Edit: Ofc, that's expected of you as a CEO but yeah.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I doubt this is due to the influence of Activision... This is how mmo markets around the world operate. It's no surprise Blizz would eventually adopt some other methods. Besides, people want this stuff. Maybe not you or me, but those who do want it now have the choice.

They already charge for account transfers, race changes and etc. Simple things that they could get by not nearly charging as much for. Once Cataclysm comes out they will only have the subscriptions and account things funding them forever... It's not strange to think they will want to open up some other sources of income.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    As long as they're selling useless gimmick items it's not a problem. The second they start charging for weapon sets, armor, respecs etc. Can you imagine (5 dollars to respec!) Then Kotick has gotten his grubby hands involved.

Right now its a complete non game play changing factor though. So can't really complain.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Surprised they haven't done this sooner. So long as it's superficial stuff I think it's pretty win/ win. It's kinda nice to be able to own something in an MMO that most people don't, and without a price tag this isn't always available to players who don't log long hours. MMO's have been exploring new profit structures for a long time now, this ain't so bad :)

The day you can buy "leet gear" is the day the gameplay becomes meaningless, and once the gameplay is meaningless the game is no longer fun.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I guess you're right, I suppose I hadn't factored the whole account transfers / race change etc.

I just hope it does stay with useless items, I much prefer the subscription model.

Blizzard know they'd lose their player base if they switched to free-to-play. I'm curious though, as it's 'ActivisionBlizzard' and they're not fully owned by Activision, does that mean they are fully in control of things like this?
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I don't see any real harm with this either. If they started selling weapons or things that would actually alter the gameplay that could be a different story.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    *Looks at plush wind rider sitting on desk*

What can I say, I'm a WoW player and I love my merch.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    You obviously never heard about the "trading card game rares = WoW ingame rewards" that were (and still are) going for hundreds/thousands of buckz on ebay. There were plenty of people dumping money into these cards for no reason other than to have a chance at getting these ingame rarities.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Reins_of_the_Spectral_Tiger

I wouldn't put too much stock into them doing it due to some sinister plot from the Dark Lords of Activision. It's not like this represents some sort of tipping point towards them FINALLY making a profit from WoW. They could literally leave the game on autopilot for another 5 years, send everyone home on paid leave in golden Humvees, and leave three server monkeys in an abandoned building to make sure the other two don't trip over a wire and the game would still turn a profit.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I guess you're right, I suppose I hadn't factored the whole account transfers / race change etc.

I just hope it does stay with useless items, I much prefer the subscription model.

Blizzard know they'd lose their player base if they switched to free-to-play. I'm curious though, as it's 'ActivisionBlizzard' and they're not fully owned by Activision, does that mean they are fully in control of things like this?

Vivendi owns Activision Blizzard and kotick is the CEO of Activision Blizzard.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    15 million people paying each month? ha! im guessing ACTIVE accounts is probably half that number. which is still alot. but still. your account NEVER gets deleted, thats why they can advertise so many people "playing" their game.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    LOL you obviously don't play this game, if you have a problem with it.

?

This pet thing has been going on for a LONG time.

Doesn't affect the gameplay at all. They're just vanity items and theyre DAMN cool.

They have pets given out at Blizzcon at that year, and are releasing a Marine Pet if you buy the Collectors edition of StarCraft 2.

BTW the phoenix mount in the game was created soley for a kid who had cancer, and wanted a phoenix for his WoW avatar for his Make-A-Wish. They made it happen for him.

You should ask some of the other guys here at Blizzard, but from an outsider, it seems like they're in control of their own shizzle.

^_^
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    regardless of who made the calls, kotick is always going to get the blame for everything. it's odd but I guess if people have to point fingers they default to him.

I wonder if this would even have been a complaint among the gamer community if blizzard didn't have activision in their name. yeesh.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Dean wrote: »
    Vivendi owns Activision Blizzard and kotick is the CEO of Activision Blizzard.

Actually, I think that Vivendi sold their stake in Blizzard to Activision when Activision merged with Blizzard. I don't think Vivendi is involved with either company at this point. Vivendi also sold a lot of the IP that they owned to Activision at the same time. This pisses me off, because now Activision owns the rights to a lot of the old Sierra On-Line properties.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Actually, I think that Vivendi sold their stake in Blizzard to Activision when Activision merged with Blizzard. I don't think Vivendi is involved with either company at this point. Vivendi also sold a lot of the IP that they owned to Activision at the same time. This pisses me off, because now Activision owns the rights to a lot of the old Sierra On-Line properties.

~ Don't get me started on that argument. I will RAGE.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah I know all about the pets obsession people have and I know the trading loot card market is hot, but that's outside of the game and usually on eBay etc.

I know these are 'useless' items too but it's the principal I was referring to. Paying real money (to Blizzard, not another player or website) for an in game item. While I'm sure as you say, this is nothing of much concern, it is the first time they've started to do it in WoW's history. But then I suppose as was mentioned, paid char transfers, race changes etc have always been paid services. Even those haven't been around long though.

I dunno, the game world seems to be getting all too excited about this whole 'freemium' model, and while that's another discussion in itself, I guess time will tell if Blizz decides to go down that road too.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I have a friend who really enjoys collecting these. She spends all her money on the plush dolls and loves them!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    who cares, not like they're forcing people to buy them, or giving people a competitive edge they can only get if they shell out the cash. Just some fancy glitter for the crackheads to sprinkle on their crack.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    There's a talking Murloc plush? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME OF THIS!

Anyway the selling of pets has been going on for quite a while... I remember back then people were concerned that this would spread to selling armor and such but it hasn't so far. I don't think Blizzard would start doing that.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    meh, back in 2002 Everquest tried doing a "Premium" server service that cost an extra $20 a month or so for "Exclusive content" and GM support the regular paying customers on the other servers never got.

http://afkgamer.com/archives/2005/12/12/legends/

It was basically labeled a "Pay extra and get free l3wt" sorta deal that infuriated the regular gaming community who asked the question of why they weren't getting these premium services already? This actually went on for about 4 years or so.

Mixing RL money with ingame content will always be a source of contention among MMO players. Thankfully Blizzard has pretty much always kept any sort of "specials" like these as non-game-affecting items and trinkets. There ARE other MMOs out there that will genuinely offer the players paid and supported upgrades for cold hard cash.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    But then I suppose as was mentioned, paid char transfers, race changes etc have always been paid services. Even those haven't been around long though.

Well, I've been a WoW player since before the Burning Crusade was released, and paid character transfer has been available as long as I've been playing.

Sure, the faction change thing is pretty new, but these services still require actual human intervention and man-hours to accomplish, so charging for them probably isn't as nefarious as all the Kotick-haters would have us believe.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    Well, I've been a WoW player since before the Burning Crusade was released, and paid character transfer has been available as long as I've been playing.

Sure, the faction change thing is pretty new, but these services still require actual human intervention and man-hours to accomplish, so charging for them probably isn't as nefarious as all the Kotick-haters would have us believe.

Character Transfers were around well before Burning Crusade. I remember having to pay for one way back then. I think the price of them has been raised since then, but they've still been around since the game was released.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Character Transfers were around well before Burning Crusade. I remember having to pay for one way back then. I think the price of them has been raised since then, but they've still been around since the game was released.

Yeah, thought so. Have to admit the faction transfer feature could be pretty tempting, especially if you're an Alliance PvP player on most servers. :)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I got one and it Kicks Ass!
    Yeehaw.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I paid $280 for my Chicken Mount in WoW ...
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I paid $280 for my Chicken Mount in WoW ...

15fgd4m.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I play WoW, and noticed a fuck load of people with this mount earlier..

It is... too extreme. I mean, look at this (sorry if posted)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178849

It is insane.

Personally i will not be buying it, it is a bit too much for me, and i prefer to play well for rewards instead of paying for them. :)

Like this chap:

ridingundeaddrakeheadred.jpg

Will be getting this on Sunday's raid, after some good effort tackling the hard mode bosses with my guild in the newest raid tier. :)

(I know nobody here really cares but I'm just proving my point, rewards should be something given in game for skill and effort)

I'm a bit worried where the bllizzard store may lead and if activision has anything to do with it. I am happy for Blizzard's amazing success (they're one company that deserves it) but i just hope they don't take this too far.

EDIT:

Holy jaffa cakes, really BoBo? :S

I've only ever seen one of those chickens, they're quite funny, certainly unique. :)

EDIT 2:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCjuFpQ3EeA&fmt=18[/ame]

BWAHAHAHAHA!

So fucking true!! :)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher, I want that mount too! I'm all about the achievements in WoW :)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-achievements.xml?r=Malfurion&cn=Boboda&gn=Altered+Legends

- BoBo
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    JFletcher, I want that mount too! I'm all about the achievements in WoW :)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-achievements.xml?r=Malfurion&cn=Boboda&gn=Altered+Legends

- BoBo

~ Okay, NOW I officially understand why you haven't updated your site since I started college, or why you never finish competitions.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    yay vanity pets! I'm sure my panda has died from starvation by now... (only played WOW in the first 6 months of launch)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Okay, NOW I officially understand why you haven't updated your site since I started college, or why you never finish competitions.

The Truth is out.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would retort but Wintergrasp is about to start....

Took these tonight:
    WoWScrnShot_01.jpg

and me riding the Cock!:
    WoWScrnShot_02.jpg

- BoBo
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, Kotaku is saying anywhere from 1.4 to 3.5mil in the first day. That's a lot of hotpockets.

http://kotaku.com/5518416/world-of-warcraft-pet-sales-made-millions-for-blizzard-today
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just find it absolutely mind boggling how people complain nonstop about a 15 dollar map pack that contains 5 maps but have no trouble paying 25 dollars for a blue see-through horse, that you can sit on just because "its blizzard". The money still goes to execs, doesnt matter if its kotick or whoever else. average blizzard worker aint gonna see anything from it. not badmouthing blizzard or anything, i just dont see peoples logic.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    wow..

I almost want to get one. It has wings and sparkles!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    3.5 million!? WTF world? They're f*cking polygons.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I'd hit it, too bad I'm taking a short leave from wow. This game is really the digital crack of our times, I use to think Everquest was bad.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
    "Parent Vivendi"
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh, you're a Holy Paladin too? So was I when I played! Quit a few months after raiding Lich King before Ulduman was out because it was draining way too much of my time.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this cost them almost nothing do to and they benefited with millions? pretty fucking smart if you ask me. it's like selling a virtual toy. it's crazy to see how pissed off some people get about it though.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Bobo your cock is huge.

best mount ever.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an insane ROI for Blizzard. Luckily (or unluckily) I used to play WoW way too much, so I have my trusty Rusty Proto to sit my casual butt on.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Bobo your cock is huge.

I am shocked and dismayed that it took that many posts for that to be said.

There are people in my guild in line in the queue to buy these right now. I heard the mounts couldn't fly from one zone into another without the player getting dismounted, any truth to that?

Bobo, all that fancy gear and your recent activity is raiding Uld? Achievement farm much? XD
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh Ulduar was the weekly quest this week. :)

I'm 50% through the LichKing fight on my Icc progression ... but yeah I'm going back to get those achievements too! :)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    I got one and it Kicks Ass!
    Yeehaw.jpg

lol t9 :x

p.s. I got one too!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    WoooooooooooW Threeeeeeeeeeeeeaad!

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Burning+Steppes&n=Snuffles

Read it and weep! First in line for Shadowmourne too. :)

Yes, i probably play too much. :)

edit:

Oh, Bobo, you should definitely spec into Heroic Fury, just one talent point and it works wonders in ICC with all the movement fights. :)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Ah Bobo, haven't been in game much this week, probably will miss the weekly.

Behold, the lowly huntard!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Magtheridon&cn=Cloberela

We've only gotten to Putricide, we've just now become a more hardcore raiding guild rolling ICC twice a week, two groups. We're giving the 25 man a go tonight.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's times like this that I'm glad I canceled my account.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    There's a talking Murloc plush? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME OF THIS!

Anyway the selling of pets has been going on for quite a while... I remember back then people were concerned that this would spread to selling armor and such but it hasn't so far. I don't think Blizzard would start doing that.

Just a correction.

*Selling 2 pets* Lil KuelThalas and Pandarian Monk (with the dog face) Have been going on soon after the WotLK release. With the Collectors edition it was the Ebonsomething pet.

Please continue your discussion here as I am really enjoying. By the way, just to add that Lil XT did really affect the game play for many people. As soon as someone bought it and summoned that pet in Dalaran people flew off from there...*Tarrible moment*