Home General Discussion

Uh Oh... (ActivisionBlizzard rant inside)

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    00Zero wrote: »
    i just find it absolutely mind boggling how people complain nonstop about a 15 dollar map pack that contains 5 maps but have no trouble paying 25 dollars for a blue see-through horse

Completely different audience. I'm pretty sure that the people who are willing to buy a sparkly horse for $25 arent the ones complaining about a $15 map pack, in fact I bet most of them don't even play FPSes (or any other game).
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I paid $25 for a sparkly horse, and I play plenty of other games :)
    Infact, the people I play games with online usually play numerous games together: WoW, TF2, MW2, LoL, BC2, etc.

Reading the little bit that I have on other forums and even this thread, I don't understand why people are upset that other people decided to purchase something with money they earned. 0.o
    Sparkly Mount, map pack, subscription, arcade title, cigarettes, pr0n, Triple Shot Vanilla Latte....who cares? :)
    Granted, this thread is more civil than others out there about this.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I don't mind people buying it, by all means, if they desire it, and don't mind paying for it, i hope they have fun with it. :)

I just don't like the route which this is taking. I'm sure everyone who bought this mount would have preferred to have earned it in game through some task (i realise not everyone has a great deal of time to put into acquiring some rewards but for the sake of argument, let's say you could)

edit:

Then again, we are entering an age of DLC, so i can't really back up my argument. I've yet to buy any DLC for any game, and i don't play console very often unless some awesome game gets released.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah earning it would be way better, then you get to be all in your face to the noobs who wish they would be able to buy it ^_^
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I don't mind people buying it, by all means, if they desire it, and don't mind paying for it, i hope they have fun with it. :)

I just don't like the route which this is taking. I'm sure everyone who bought this mount would have preferred to have earned it in game through some task (i realise not everyone has a great deal of time to put into acquiring some rewards but for the sake of argument, let's say you could)

~ Yeah but... Time IS Money, friend
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time is money friend!

..oh god :(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Yeah but... Time IS Money, friend

Wow Gametime on BlizzShop is money, friend.

I cant wait to role a horde as soon as that class is out. :)

Either that or wargons.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Time is money friend!

..oh god :(
    I got the best deals, anywhere!

:)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Microtransactions are absolutely the future, friend. Subscriptions will go the way of the dodo as they have in asia. It's a simple fact. Current generation of games can continue to enjoy their success, but the game is changing entirely. Dont pay for it if you don't want it.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    stoofoo wrote: »
    Microtransactions are absolutely the future, friend. Subscriptions will go the way of the dodo as they have in asia. It's a simple fact. Current generation of games can continue to enjoy their success, but the game is changing entirely. Dont pay for it if you don't want it.

That's not a fact, it is an opinion/prediction. Subscription is as of yet the dominant payment method in the west (for the big "non-casual" MMO) and while I do agree that microtransactions will most probably gain in popularity, I don't see balance changing items (i.e. gear) being sold in AAA titles, thus decreasing revenue. Maybe we'll see a hybrid -> 4$ p/m subscription + non-balance changing items being sold through scubscription.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Dean wrote: »
    That's not a fact, it is an opinion. Subscription is as of yet the dominant payment method in the west and while I do agree that microtransactions will most probably gain in popularity, I don't see balance changing items (i.e. gear) being sold in AAA titles, thus decreasing revenue. Maybe we'll see a hybrid -> 4$ p/m subscription + non-balance changing items being sold through scubscription.

You sure?, facebook apps and similar small games are raking in the cash from microtransactions, and these are westernmarketed stuff.

habbo hotel, farmville etc..
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    You sure?, facebook apps and similar small games are raking in the cash from microtransactions, and these are westernmarketed stuff.

habbo hotel, farmville etc..

Sorry, should have clarified I was talking about the big "non-casual" MMOs hehe.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I actually don't like running the same dungeon/raid over and over for the .1% chance that a cool mount will drop. I think it's cool that they have them, but I also kinda like that they have something for people like me that don't want to do that. I'd still be against them selling gear though.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    You are a character in a world you are living in, suddenly the guy who controls you gives you a new toy. The new bling does not reflect any doing or experience you had in the world, isnt that kinda breaking the point of the MMO in some ways?

Isnt the cool things, the ones exclusive and rare? Whats the point of showing of if everyone could get stuff just like that? (snap)
    maybe im missing the point, I dont know.

Look I dont play MMOs that much but now seems like its the hot topic and this came to mind. Thoughts? I want answers.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are a character in a world you are living in.

huh?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ[/ame]

suddenly the guy who controls you gives you a new toy. The new bling does not reflect any doing or experience you had in the world, isnt that kinda breaking the point of the MMO in some ways?

Isnt the cool things, the ones exclusive and rare? Whats the point of showing of if everyone could get stuff just like that? (snap)
    maybe im missing the point, I dont know.

Look I dont play MMOs that much but now seems like its the hot topic and this came to mind. Thoughts? I want answers.

You mean you would rather have some guy selling you the mount for $20s in game than the NPC standing right next to him who is selling the same mount in Gray colour for 20gold (with same spec)?

Though I do like the achivies and reward system. Give you a faster flying mount or faster mount in general. Selling mounts online is kinda pushing the strategy towards what we fear the most. I do agree with people who like to buy the special pets.

I wouldnt get in to much detail but I am liking the thread so far.

Please continue! :)
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    The problem with microtransaction based MMOs is that developers are easily tempted to make their EXP curves steeper and the gameplay more bland and repetitive in order to tempt players into buying items to help with the grind. I could pull up links to about a dozen of Korean MMOs where there are two sorts of successful PVPers: social troglodytes who poopsocked their way to success and those who just bought their way in.

I would say that they could simply focus more on creating a good game and hoping that fans would support them with purchases of purely cosmetic premium items and maybe some balanced weapons/items/etc but I honestly don't expect much when pretty much every MMO on the market is doing some shady shit.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Man wow looks very cool at end game I just have had no time to play it in the last 5 months. D:
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    stoofoo wrote: »

I agree with this man.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I just got back into it after nearly two years off, and now that I've hit lvl 80 and got my bronze drake (got it on my first and only run through the Culling of Stratholme heroic, incidentally), I feel like I can get back to actually getting other stuff done and just dipping into it for the odd heroic.

I really don't know if I'd be happy devoting the time to getting the title I want (Loremaster) or gearing up for the high-end raids.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    huh?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ

You mean you would rather have some guy selling you the mount for $20s in game than the NPC standing right next to him who is selling the same mount in Gray colour for 20gold (with same spec)?

Though I do like the achivies and reward system. Give you a faster flying mount or faster mount in general. Selling mounts online is kinda pushing the strategy towards what we fear the most. I do agree with people who like to buy the special pets.

I wouldnt get in to much detail but I am liking the thread so far.

Please continue! :)

No then il buy it for the 20 gold ingame money, i thought the pets were something you had to buy for real money if you wanted them. The 20 gold I would have been something my character achieved by either killing monsters and collecting loot or in some other ingame way. But then I dont like that someone else who have it maybe did not do the work to get the ingame money and just got it with real money. The way your character looks and his inventory is something you should have accomplished ingame. Its like playing COD2 singleplayer and paying extra to skip half the game to come to the end immediatly instead of playing. In a way I think about it like that.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    The problem with microtransaction based MMOs is that developers are easily tempted to make their EXP curves steeper and the gameplay more bland and repetitive in order to tempt players into buying items to help with the grind.

This isn't true. You are noticing the difference between Western and Eastern MMOs, which is more of a reflection on what kind of games the cultures prefer to play.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    In a way I think about it like that.

And the great thing about games, or in fact, anything in life, is that different people have different opinions/preferences.

I personally llike the idea of DLC for games that use it to extend the hours of gameplay (such as Pixeljunk monsters/valkyria chronicles).
    But I don't like DLC in the form of continuous micro transactions (such as many korean mmos and facebook games), which is why I choose to not play them games.

Arguably micro transactions also extend the life of a game, when you get new loot you wanna keep playing to get more new loot and it feels rewarding. But also arguably loot that you buy with money isn't earned, so it shouldn't feel rewarding.

Just be glad that if you're on the side that thinks micro transactions are unfair/stupid, that you are saving your monies for more important stuff, like toys to put on your desks or music cds, or other games, or more new cloths/shoes even though you have more than enough - or expensive food and drink (that are gone in a single day) or that trip across the world for 2 weeks. Or how about drugs and alcohol. Or gambling?

Micro transactions look far less silly than many of the other things in life, at least from my point of view.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&cn=Minimed

I only log in for raids. 9 hours a week isn't bad IMO(3 days, 3 hours a day...we raid 4 days, but we clear in 3 so we always have Monday off typically though I do 10 man on Friday's, so we'll say 12 hours)...so really with the right people you don't sell your life away to the game.

As far as the mount, meh. It's whatever, I'm personally sick of seeing 5 million of them where ever I go. One thing I will say, the Lil'XT pet is fucking awesome(though I won't pay real money for any of these things). I'm trying to trade in game gold for one =D
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobo: Sick pictures man.

Fletcher: Get rid of that garbage greatness deck, yea ill be getting my rusted and ironbound sunday i need like 4 of 25 and 10 man icc for those drakes too can't wait.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck you! ....it's awesome. :)

And yeah i would get rid of it if Death's Choice or Whispering fanged Skull actually dropped. :(

Alas, they do not drop.

I also refuse to get that haste trinket from badges. :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    My god how do you guys have time for this shit!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't mind people wasting money on visual changes, as long as people who pay for extra stuff don't get an advantage.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I, might not a big fan of in game stuff for real money

but everytime i see people selling in game stuff/game account in ebay and ppl buy it with real money,
    id rather see someone like blizzard get profit from this , rather than random ppl who actually contribute nothing to the game.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I know that raiding with a good stable guild doesn't take that much time, but it's hard to get to a point where you can do that. First you have to find a great guild, then you have to get geared up (Which will mean running a TON of heroics every day to get tokens/gold), you'll have to do some dailies for your profession if you want to provide for your guild which most guilds would require (Dragon's Eyes for Jewel Crafting), you'll have to save a bunch of gold to get enchants on all of your gear and I'm sure there are a few more things I'm forgetting. Granted I've already done all that stuff, I tend to find myself logging on before raids and staying on a bit after to chat with the guild or do heroics or something which ends up draining a lot more time than I thought it would.

Long story short, it's very hard to get to the point where you can just log on to raid and even when you can it's hard to only go on for that raid and log off when it's over (At least for me).
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't generally have an issue. I mean yeah, getting to that point took some time(though the whole skill>gear comes into play in those environments, as the gear will come so long as you can hold your own with what you have), but I log in just before raids and if I don't log out, I sit in Ironforge tabbed out. I have a shaman I leveled for herbing/mining purposes, so I will go out to Wintergrasp and do that for an hour a week if the bank needs herbs/ore(our gbank provides flasks, pots and repair money for raids). Most encounters in the game sans heroic modes are fairly easy with the previous tier of gear(the only one in ICC that comes to mind was really Blood Queen before the zone buff went out...her enrage was fairly tight, but now even on heroic it's a absolute joke), though it definitely makes it easier with more gear.

It depends though. I mean I play with people I have played with for years, so minus newer people, we function fairly well in knowing each others strengths and weaknesses for raiding purposes.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's times like this that I'm glad I canceled my account.

Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't start. I feel the way I do about about WoW the same way I feel about cocaine; I'm afraid I would like it too much.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14

yeah totally. I feel bad already for not going outside enough because i do so much 3D and shaders (usefull stuff). Can't imagine spending it on such game, i'd feel bad after an hour already.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No then il buy it for the 20 gold ingame money, i thought the pets were something you had to buy for real money if you wanted them. The 20 gold I would have been something my character achieved by either killing monsters and collecting loot or in some other ingame way. But then I dont like that someone else who have it maybe did not do the work to get the ingame money and just got it with real money. The way your character looks and his inventory is something you should have accomplished ingame. Its like playing COD2 singleplayer and paying extra to skip half the game to come to the end immediatly instead of playing. In a way I think about it like that.

eeeyeah I understand; Blizzard is still working on this "banning those who sell power leveling and buy gold with real money" case. That relates to your statement which I too agree (But then I dont like that someone else who have it maybe did not do the work to get the ingame money and just got it with real money.) The only way they can reach out to the ones who buy/sell the wow account and/or buy gold or power leveling services is just upon report. =\

Besides You wouldnt like playing the game after that power leveling or buying gold without working anyways, because than the game would be soo easy for you that would be at the top level and there would be nothing else to do. The game would simply dies for you.

I was just making a statement that I get that buying special ingame pets from Blizzstore was a great idea but I liked the idea of achiving your mount or flying mount rather than buying the mount online.

Reminder: This game is for Anti-social beings and Pro Nerd ragers only (who are also anti-social)