Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Arac

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Arac polycounter lvl 8
UPDATE: Added some of my more recent work and moved everything on to a single page.

ArtLarian_Wagon2jpg

new version can be found here

Original post:

I decided to update my portfolio while I had some time to spare. I'd appreciate any comments on the site itself or its content.

The design of the site is pretty basic, I tried to keep it clean and simple. I'm planning on adding a page for my CV and some personal info later on.

The content is quite diverse at the moment. I was considering adding some 2D work (mostly photographs, drawings and graphic designs) as well, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not?

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    The text on that main page "3D Real Time" and such, seems a little redundant seeing it over and over. Perhaps just section them off, and label each section instead of having the words huge over the screenshots. It's a little distracting to see "3D Real Time" or "Game Prototype" in your face, multiple times.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Some good stuff Arac, but I agree on the 3d realtime being redundant. I personally would like to see more of the hipoly assets, along with the wires, as what you have is nice just short on how many things you have.

Spark
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    MIG 29 Fulcrum
    I like it. :)

Veresk SR-2m
    The metal has gone through some wear and tear for sure, but the polymer looks like it just came from the injection mold.
    The edges are still very crisp, its very clean, all the bump is still relatively uniform, no signs of wear at all. I would expect to see smooth(er) spots on the polymer at least where someones hands would most likely rest. I would also expect the edges to have rounded off some and not be nearly as crisp with use.

Valley of the Shadows
    Originally I thought this was a complete model of your's, however, I noticed you're comment after looking at it the 3rd time. For a level it looks pretty cool, the only thing that gets me is the very bottom picture. There are like 7 lanterns close together and then one off by itself. All of the lanterns close together are diferent colors/intensities. To me it just seems like placing assets really qucik to try and add some color variation or it was a line up of your lanterns you were using and you forgot to delete them before rendering. I realize that with lanterns of that style they can be everywhere, but if thats the idea I say spread them out and literally litter the alley with them and turn the emmisve bloom down :)

Game Prototype - Bomb Run
    Couldn't even get it to work, most likely an Opera problem, but I honestly didn't find myself that interested either.

Game Prototype - Criminal Carnage
    Looks pretty slick. I'd like to see a more detailed breakdown of what you did and screenshots/etc. of those assets. (understandable you can't do that with code)

Extreme Utility Vehicle ++ Black & Decker RD1441k
    I like them. good clean, crisp. Though I would like to see a nice clean Material render to just look at the models.

Suggestions Overall
    I'd like to see at least a composite of your material flats, the compositing of spec+normal+dif into one sheet--I find looks nice.
    I agree about wanting to see wires, I know you have them on the mig, but I'd also like to see them for the gun.
    Tell me what position you want, I have no idea what you're looking for.
    I agree with the "realtime" "Game pro" being redundant. I'd suggest something like this Paint Over

:)
    Overall, I like your work.
    The site layout is +1--big thumbnails, no lightbox/flash.
    Also your site started acting pretty buggy for me while I was writing this and fliping back and forth between pages (slowly at that).
    Images stopped loading, or started taking a very long time to load. Could just be my connection at the moment or Opera acting up though.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Some good critiques here! One thing that is bothering me is that the main title is aligned with the top of the browser. That really bothers me. lol I like your work man! I agree with Spark, I would love to see some more wires and such.
    Cheers!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with the header, it's somewhat annoying. The work is great! Very well done. The other thing that bothers me though is that level that you made using the unreal assets. This is the first time I've seen someone put work they haven't done themselves in a portfolio. Personally, I just couldn't put work in my portfolio that wasn't 100% done by myself. But that's just me.
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Thx for the constructive feedback everyone.

I'll take everything that's been said into account and make changes once I have some more spare time.

Did anyone else have a problem with getting the unity web player to work? My guess is that it doesn't support Opera yet.
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Alright,

Since I'm on the look out for an internship, I decided to update my portfolio once again.

I've added several new pages for programming and 2D related projects and one for my resume. I've also made the changes that people suggested before
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    404 :(

Edit: nevermind, working now. Awesome stuff, not really qualified to crit, but it all looks good to me :)
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Simmo wrote: »
    404 :(

Oops, fixed
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Definitely better with the split categories. I wouldn't be afraid to give much more technical descriptions of your programming achievements, if you are looking for a more technical internship.

Also funny to see where you got the layout for your resume ;)
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Also funny to see where you got the layout for your resume ;)

I plead guilty :poly122:
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Very strong portfolio, one of the best I have seen in awhile keep up the great work!

Website itself is also very easy to navigate.
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Thx for the feedback ae.

Much appreciated
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Added some of my more recent work, removed some of my older work, and moved everything on to a single page.

I'm planning on adding some technical art tutorials later on, but haven't found the time to write any of them down.