Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HK UMP .45

Replies

• TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    lowpoly looks slick! though seems like someone had a grinder(sandpaper) and went and took away that paint evenly along all edges :) (bad)
    One damn cool gun!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hahaha im sorry dude i replied without noticing the entire second page :)
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work! really love it!

I'll post some more feedback later :)
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrick Svensson polycounter lvl 14
    Did´n notice you guys wrote to me, just realize it now..

BradMyers82: Thank you, glad you like it :)

TheWinterLord: Thanks, yeah I know. But I like the look. Shall try take some away. :)

TeriyakiStyle/Zpanzer: Hehe, thanks to you to. Will love to hear what you have to say :D

Nistrum: Hehe :) Shit happends :)

Have not done much latly, just trying to texture, but my inspiration is low.

PS. Have not worked on the specular, and havent work on the back part. :P

m14%2Bscope_wip.png
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really fantastic work! :) I have some new images for my inspiration folder now.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the normals mapping on this gun is looking really nice!
    Ok.. from the side the gun is kinda boring.. but in fPV view it looks really nice.
    fills up the space quite nicely :)
    congrats. lets see it textured it :=
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I´m DONE!

m14.png
    m14_2.png
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    Wow very nice done :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    That looks hot my friend! Post some wires also :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looking nice! Those renders look really blue to me though. Is it the environment map? I'm assuming you are using Marmoset.
    You might wanna try some different post processing settings so it doesn't look that blue, other wise great job.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow very nice. great stuff. please post some shots with a wireframe overlay on it. i wanna see how theyre made
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Great work. You might want to consider adding a bit more grime to some crevasses here and there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff, but everything looks sort of flat, i think this is because you've baked your AO with an exploded mesh. What you want to do is bake AO from just the lowpoly mesh all put back together, and then throw that in along with the ao from high as well, it will help make everything seem to fit together, as right now a lot of the pieces seem to "float" without any shadows between the large forms.

For anything that animates and you wouldn't want baked in AO, simply layer mask those bits. =)

some more info here: http://wiki.polycount.net/Ambient_Occlusion_Map?highlight=(ambient)
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake: Wow! How did you see that I did a exploded mesh AO? Hmm, I think I need to make a new AO to just complete this project!

Kitteh: Maybe it will be better when a new AO will be there. If not maybe I will go back and change that. :)

TheWinterLord / 00Zero: Wire will come, tomorrow!

BradMyers82: yeah, I just marmoset and I just love the shady02 sky. That´s why it´s blue :) But can do some shot with sunny if you like?

THANK for everyone that comments my work, you give me motvation to work on :) ( next work will be a level/props for a level)

PS. can someone change the Title/Topic name for me or is it me that need to do that?
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake, thanks for that! Never thought of doing it, will certainly try that next time i model a gun.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrick: Exploded AO is a pretty common, and really there is nothing wrong with it. Its tell-tale when you've got those intersecting bits, but no shadows where the come together(the scope nob, the rails near the back visible in FPV). Its what i do for virtually every asset, then i add the low AO on top to bring everything together. I wish there was a better solution, but there isn't really unfortunately that i know of. You can bake un-exploded AO, but it will require lots and lots of fixing in PS, just isnt worth it.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i bake 2 AO maps, then i use the exp only for the moving parts

guns looks great dude

i'd try to blend more colors
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I promised you all! A new AO, try some diffrent lightning and wire! Hope you like it!

m14_wire.png
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just showing the textures. Enjoy!

m14_maps.png
    scope_maps.png
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Nice gun you got going there Patric. Only cit i have is with the blacks at the front of the weapon. They come across as too flat and painted on. You might try to get more normals going on around the blacks, if you could isolate them and put a layer glow with some subtle black gradient property on them to get a little occlusion it would help a lot. You can also use that glow to produce some normals with the xnormals filter, overlay with your other normal map to ease those blacks into the texture.

Not to belittle this great work, but regardless of how far you push this, how great you make the gun look, and i hate to say this, great looking guns are a dime a dozen these days. Moving forward you should consider doing some less conventional stuff, do some environment work, push yourself outside the norm. It's not easy, but from one aspiring game artist to another you should think about how you're going to seperate yourself from the pack. By all means finish this gun though, it's coming along great and guns are one of the best places to start! Take the fundamentals you've learned here and plan something kick ass for the future :)
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again, now with some quick props. I´m trying to create some kind of WW2 insperation level. So maybe some more props will come soon, if I got the time :)

tunna.png
    roadblock4.png
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    Concrete block - could use some more photo manipulation rather than just dropping a cgtextures on it - if u want could use some more of this (done by nizza_waarg):
    011-copy.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Patrick the normals came out great on the gun.

The ambient made your gun much more beefier as EQ said it would nice job on going back and redoing that.

Although the new AO made the holes flat, the ones that are in the front of the gun. I would recommend lightening the AO underneath there a little bit to show that there is actually geo under it. When moving I am sure this illusion would go away, but right now for a still shot it is jarring.

Good stuff!
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sampson: Thanks for the tip. I was aiming on doing a nr 2 modell of this roadblock so I can have som more variation to the map/level. It will be ugly if I just use this one all over the map.. so one "whole" block and one "destroyed" block. :) And yeah, I need to go back to the textures for the block, but is hard not to go to cgtextures :P

Chaosquack: Thank you, maybe I will change that in the future :)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Patrick, how many polygons you used for the barrel?
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good work. I like the UMP without the tape. It looks really good!:thumbup:
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Way to go on the M14 EBR, it's a real beauty. As others have pointed out, maybe you better just hold off on any tape altogether until you know reasonably why someone would put tape on a gun--either yes, to hold magazines together (not common practice with professionals, who would use clips) or more commonly, tape on the bottom of the mags to keep their ownership clear. That's not to take away from the strength of the work though--tape is tricky and you've done a good job on capturing it. Nice work, looking forward to seeing you get even better.
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill: It´s a bit highpoly for just a barrel, but it´s on 682 tris. I can cut it down, but I have no reason to do it :)

Krazy8: Thank you! :) Yeah, I like the UMP with out tape to.

Gauss: Thank you, yeah I have learn that I need to think much more on how guns are used and where the tape may be needed. At the moment I did it I only think, this looks cool :P
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I asked because i made a similar looking barrel and it was sitting around 568, I realized that the Bump loops at the Sides are not nesesary if they are too small, they can be done by the normal maps and use the rest of the polys to add more loops to the Borders and details like the caps.
    Your texture looks much better than mine though, i should check my texture skills again ^^

barrel14.png