Home General Discussion

New DVD - UDK Lighting & Post Processing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Riki polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone! Its been a long time in the making but we finally got this one done. It could go on sale as early as Friday, so keep an eye out.

03_31_10_udk_lighting.jpg

In this DVD, Dave Prout and Jim Magill go through Lighting and Post Processing in UDK. Together they use over 27 years of combined professional experience to deliver not only great instruction but also many practical applications when putting the final touches on your levels.

Like many of our other DVDs, this video is target for both professionals and those who are just starting to use Unreal Development Kit.

For more information and a video sample, visit the product page here: http://eat3d.com/udk_lighting

About the Instructors:
Dave Prout co-founded Spark Unlimited which became an award-winning game developer with 120 employees over 5 years. Since then he has been working with UDK to create games and continues making games to this day.

Jim Magill has been working in games not too long after he graduated art college in 1996. Since then he contributed to many popular games such as Theif 3 and Deus Ex 2. Jim has been using Unreal Editor 3 for the last 5 years and is currently working on DCUO at Sony Online.

About Eat 3D:
Eat 3D has been feeding your brain for almost 2 years with some of the highest quality training that exists. Our goal is to cut through all the nonsense and get straight to the point with practical real world exercises that professionals actively use in production.

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    ! Why do you guys always have to make my wallet hurt. :( Looks great.

Link doesnt work, by the way. (spelled lighting wrong)

http://eat3d.com/udk_lighting
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome! Can't wait to have a look into this one.

Link is just http://eat3d.com/udk_lighting . Just in case you come here before Riki gets a chance to edit :P
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I beat you too it :-O
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I remember seeing this piece before it was finished
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Wanting me to stop buying C++, DirectX and Math books and start buying "How to.." tutorial DVDs from Eat 3d...I soo wanna learn UDK just for the heck of it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    cool, the post process chain stuff looks really useful, not too much info out there on that. lighting stuff is always really fun, its one of my favorite things to do.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Gonna have to pick this one up solely for the post section, never know what tricks I may find.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Looks awesome. I wish I had a dime to my name.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Perfect timing! I'm about to order a large amount of DVDs from Eat3D. You guys always put out the best DVD tutorials!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Perfect timing! I'm about to order a large amount of DVDs from Eat3D. You guys always put out the best DVD tutorials!

Oh Oh! Buy me some while you are at it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know! I'll think about it...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hmmm seems perfect time for a double UDK package deal now you guys have 2 done ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Hmmm seems perfect time for a double UDK package deal now you guys have 2 done ;)

There's already an Unreal Engine package thing that includes the first UDK one so I'm sure they'll add this to that. A 2 pack would be nice for some people though because they might not want/need all 5 DVDs in the Unreal pack.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ha yeah hoping for that. i know they had a badass deal a while ago with the pilar and adv texturing one.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    hmm, I guess we could do an "UDK Bundle". Ill see if its possible for this release. Thanks for the idea :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    The 'UDK SUPER BAD ASS BUNDLE!'

Although it would be a waste since I already have most of them :P Wonder how I can convince the wife to let me get this one?
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    haha, the UDK bundle would just be the 2 UDK specific DVDs we have. The Unreal Bundle will have all 6.

Oh, before I forget, anyone can get 20% off on the DVDs if you go through UDN. (excludes bundles)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Eat3D.html
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    DarthNater wrote: »
    The 'UDK SUPER BAD ASS BUNDLE!'

Although it would be a waste since I already have most of them :P Wonder how I can convince the wife to let me get this one?

Tell her its a relationship video on how to be more loving and spend more time with her. She'll eat that up.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I had the awesome opportunity to preview this DVD.
    And its quite possibly the best release by eat3d yet. :poly121:
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    so whens the Eat3D retail store opening in Austin :)
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Just a heads up that we just released this for purchase and also added a new bundle. The physical DVDs wont ship out until the 15th at the latest but you will of course get the download immediately. Thanks again for everyones support.

http://eat3d.com/udk_lighting
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great! That was quick.

Just a quick question. Do the Unreal Materials and Unreal Cascade DVDs apply to UDK or did they change the tools for UDK?
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Its all still relevant. All the stuff you would learn from those translates to UDK.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks. I'll be ordering a massive amount of DVDs from you guys sometime over the next week!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Perfect timing, Riki.

Looks great. Watching the first chapter now.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Zipfinator!

Glynn - We would love a review even if its short after you go through it.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    This looks great! with each release i always find you guys cover something that im busting my brain open trying to figure out.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Riki wrote: »
    Thanks Zipfinator!

Glynn - We would love a review even if its short after you go through it.
    I'd love to - It's great so far. I'll email you when I've worked through it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    >_< i see whut you did thar... I shall send more moneys stat... I really need to work through all of these soooooon.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    looks too good ;)

cheers!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    4hrs for $60? WAY too expensive. id buy it for $30... but $60?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    4hrs for $60? WAY too expensive. id buy it for $30... but $60?

uhmmm...quality over quantity?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    What? Have you ever bought any tutorial dvds before? $60 is perfectly in line with the standard rate for this sort of stuff.

If I had the $ I'd buy every dvd eat3d releases, cause they're just that good :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also take a look at the bundles. The ENTIRE catalog sells for $495 when buying them one by one would cost over $900. There are also tiny bundles like the Unreal bundle which helps you save about $20 on each DVD. Take a look around the site and know the market before you post stuff like that.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    gnomon tuts are just as good, and twice as long for the same price. its too bad, cuz id be willing to buy some of these if they were cheaper.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you judge worth based on length? I don't even know how to begin explaining how wrong that is.

Besides, Gnomon dvds tend to deal more with theory and workflow then they do with practical knowledge and specifics. Its hardly worth comparing them as they use different training philosophies.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    gnomon tuts are just as good, and twice as long for the same price. its too bad, cuz id be willing to buy some of these if they were cheaper.

You are a noob dude. Im willing to bet your art sucks too.

As for Gnomon vs Eat3d there is just no camparison, Gnomon dvds are no where near the quality of Eat3d(with a few exeptions). But what it really boils down to is this.. you are getting professional training in a 60$ dvd from industry vets.

If you where to hire these guys for one on one consiltation, it would cost you alot more than 60$ trust me. If you were to go to a school such as the Art Institute, you would be looking at spending 70,000$ to learn in 4 years in what Eat3d and possibly even Gnomon, can teach you in week for a fraction of the price.

Show some respect dude, 60$ for this kind of training is a freaking STEAL.

-Buddikaman
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    No need to get to ripping on each others art. Yeah it was wrong for him to just openly rip into the price, but don't start a fight about it. I agree that this is a good price for the training. The whole Gnomon vs Eat3D I don't think is really fair because they are usually completely different subjects. Gnomon started for visual effects artists. Personally I like the training in Eat3D's dvds but some of the stuff I learned from Gnomon was invaluable to my compositing film projects.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Awesome tutorial as always Riki.
    Dave and Jim did a really superb job :)
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Just purchased mine, thank you.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i just might fucking buy it! curse you!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's expensive for what I can afford but I no doubt the quality having bought some previously. Just wish there was a way of getting it cheaper for those unemployed like myself now. It also teaches the things I really want to learn about really, lighting and post processing really make the feel of a map/mod/game imo and is one of the most important parts for games which is often overlooked as well.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks everyone for standing up for our quality.

We just added the UDK bundle (2 DVDs) that saves you $30, not sure if thats cheap enough though. http://eat3d.com/training_videos/bundles/udk
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    I think it's expensive for what I can afford but I no doubt the quality having bought some previously. Just wish there was a way of getting it cheaper for those unemployed like myself now. It also teaches the things I really want to learn about really, lighting and post processing really make the feel of a map/mod/game imo and is one of the most important parts for games which is often overlooked as well.

we are also working very hard on a streaming solution where it would be cheaper to watch but you just cant download the files. Not only would it be cheaper but more convenient when you are away from your home computer because you can essentially log in from where you are and start watching. Our goal is to have this out in a month or 2 at the latest. There are a lot of thing to get right before releasing it, but so far its really awesome.

Also thanks for those who make their purchase. And please dont forget you can get 20% off using the UDN Discount!!! This is an exclusive Epic discount to show our appreciation to them and the community. You can only get it through UDN. :)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I know I probably come off as a bit of an Eat3D fanboy, but these guys have proven themselves over and over again by going straight to the meaty, useful stuff that really matters and skipping the fluffy filler parts. Well worth the money.

Can't speak for the "Live Action and CG" series, though, since it doesn't interest me, and frankly worried me a bit that production would get a bit too widely spread.
    Riki wrote: »
    Also thanks for those who make their purchase. And please dont forget you can get 20% off using the UDN Discount!!! This is an exclusive Epic discount to show our appreciation to them and the community. You can only get it through UDN. :)
    From your own, company point of view and not considering what would be best for me as a one-off individual customer, would you prefer people used either the UDN discount, or just plain bought it from your site?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    What? Have you ever bought any tutorial dvds before? $60 is perfectly in line with the standard rate for this sort of stuff.

If I had the $ I'd buy every dvd eat3d releases, cause they're just that good :)

This statement made me smile and reminded me of someone who told me "OHHH YOU SHUD BUY WORLD OF WARCRAFT BECAUSE ITS AWSOME!!!!" 3 years ago. If you wish to convince someone to buy something you came across, and really liked it, you really shouldnt state that I'd buy something because its just good, what of the table of contents? O.O.

Anyways Looking at their collection of core subjects I'd say they are buyable uptil certain stage.

Though I am still researching for UDK tutorials to learn (just for the heck of it) I havent seen released DVDs from Eat3d regarding 3rd person or RTS camera rotation sorts of subject.

Still looking forward to buy their bundle they offer for UDK,Max,ZB
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Good to hear about the streaming options coming soon, I will be eagerly awaiting it. Keep up the good work.
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    East wrote: »
    From your own, company point of view and not considering what would be best for me as a one-off individual customer, would you prefer people used either the UDN discount, or just plain bought it from your site?

Either way is really fine. The way it works on UDN is you just fill a form out and it sends us an email from that form, then we enable a coupon code and send you the code to use at checkout. So either way you are buying it from the eat3d website.

Also none of us are making tons of money off Eat3D. It wasn't until a year ago I was able to do this full-time and I absolutely love it. We rely on the community's support for our success and know if we start releasing crappy DVDs that it will spread fast and ruin our reputation.

Its my job as the owner to find great artists and help them create something they would be proud of and put it through an extensive editing process. We also have a small internal beta team to make sure the videos are good enough and what would need to be changed. There have been a few DVDs that just weren't good enough and we literally stopped production on them and paid the instructor but never released them. Not only that Epic has their own approval of the Unreal DVDs that makes sure the quality is high enough for us to release them.

About Gnomon we really cant be too hard on them because they really paved the way for companies like Eat 3D and we do respect their work. We are watching their releases carefully and trying to make sure we offer something they dont. Their intro to UDK was good but it really was a bit similar to the free 3d Buzz videos and we wanted to do our best to distinguish the training from the free stuff out there. The best way to do that is to find industry vets who not only explain what but also how and why.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I am unemployed and probably have less $$ in my pocket than most homeless people you may pass on the street. That said, I'm eagerly awaiting your streaming options and hope they can fit into my nearly non-existent budget. I purchased 2 of your DVD's previously and they've proven invaluable.

I also own some Gnomon DVDs and have to say that while comparisons can be drawn, and both products offer a high degree of quality, I find them to be complimentary to one another. Theory and design, versus practical application.

Also! To those who would so vocally jump on somebody for complaining about the price...relax a bit. Price structure is always a valid topic for criticism in a capitalist society. Price competition and haggling can produce savings and efficiencies for all. I don't think Roostermap was being rude, but those who jumped on him definitely were.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Another top notch tutorial, Riki. Outstanding stuff. I'm going to have to pick up a bunch of these I've missed out on the past year. Great work!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    This statement made me smile and reminded me of someone who told me "OHHH YOU SHUD BUY WORLD OF WARCRAFT BECAUSE ITS AWSOME!!!!" 3 years ago. If you wish to convince someone to buy something you came across, and really liked it, you really shouldnt state that I'd buy something because its just good, what of the table of contents? O.O.

Anyways Looking at their collection of core subjects I'd say they are buyable uptil certain stage.

Fair enough. In truth I wouldn't buy all of them just due to the fact that not all of the subjects interest me. The statement was just meant to point out that I think they make a quality product that anyone interested in the subject being presented by any of their tutorials should consider them. They make a quality product, and one which, when relevant to the end user, is worth the investment.

Also! To those who would so vocally jump on somebody for complaining about the price...relax a bit. Price structure is always a valid topic for criticism in a capitalist society. Price competition and haggling can produce savings and efficiencies for all. I don't think Roostermap was being rude, but those who jumped on him definitely were.

Yes, discussions on price are indeed a perfectly valid topic for discussion. The problem was that they way he came off seemed to be less about the price and more about the quality vs the price. If this was not the intention, I apologize, but saying that the price should be lower with no valid reasoning behind it seems demeaning to the people that have put so much work and effort into creating these products. Just because some people are not financially stable currently does not translate to devaluing the product. If he were to have brought up the argument that their should be an additional student discount, or an unemployment discount, those could be valid discussions.

Having said that, to buddikaman, I think you took it too far. Personal insults are not necessary, and really attacking someones art like that is taking it too far.