Home General Discussion

The future of video games: Giant hamster balls?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Click the link for the video
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/virtusphere-virtual-reality-hamster-ball-put-to-the-test/
For eons we've wondered what it would be like to walk around in a bona fide Virtusphere, and at GDC last week we finally got our chance. The large plastic cage can turn and roll in any direction, and once replete with a wireless head-mounted display and fake gun, we were ready to take on some polygonal alien baddies. Getting into the cage is surprisingly easy, but unfortunately once we had a screen strapped to our head our well-honed sense of balance was right out the window, and we found ourselves staggering around a bit as we got used to the motion of the cage. The real military versions have a motion sensing gun controller, but we had to do all our aiming with our head, which didn't help. After a minute or so we got used to the "momentum" involved in moving the cage, which felt pretty great, but we'd say our favorite part about the experience was just being able to turn in place to confront baddies -- there's something about a few well placed steps that really blows away a left or right tug on our 360 controller's analog stick. At the end of the day the sheer size, cost, and ultra-dated graphics has us hardly pining for one of these in our living rooms, but with a bit more work on the gaming end (and a working gun pointer) we could see this as the arcade experience to beat. Check out a video of our harrowing experience (from outside and inside) after the break.

Replies

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Holy fucking shit, why didn't anyone think of this earlier?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    there was a kotaku article on it. It sounded... not entirely fun. Maybe if the hamster ball was about 10 times larger?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    thing is though if you build up momentum going in one direction you can just stop on the spot.. well you could try the ballwould keep rolling and you'd be arse over tit..
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to four years ago.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    rolfness wrote: »
    thing is though if you build up momentum going in one direction you can just stop on the spot.. well you could try the ballwould keep rolling and you'd be arse over tit..

Eh that's perfect for Quake III actually. The player's movement had acceleration and deccelaration (pretty sure I killed the sp. on those two). So yeah, maybe your fastest speed would be a slight jog, the ball wouldn't allow you to go any faster, and you'd have to plan your change of direction in advance. I really don't see this as a problem.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    t4paN wrote: »
    Eh that's perfect for Quake III actually. The player's movement had acceleration and deccelaration (pretty sure I killed the sp. on those two). So yeah, maybe your fastest speed would be a slight jog, the ball wouldn't allow you to go any faster, and you'd have to plan your change of direction in advance. I really don't see this as a problem.

you would if you were blindfolded inside a giant metal hamster ball that didn't stop spinning when you wanted it to :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    aesir wrote: »
    you would if you were blindfolded inside a giant metal hamster ball that didn't stop spinning when you wanted it to :)

Or maybe I'd be so awesome that I'd be pulling barrel rolls or whatever like they do in Gears and be kicking everyone's ass. FPS Doug style.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I saw a few folks fall down in this thing. The ball is actually made out of plastic, but still weighs enough that it keeps its momentum pretty well.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    funny stuff, he sounds a little bit too keen to escape from the ball at the end "how do I get out" haha I dont see any practicle application other than like an arcade/ fairground ride or something :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    funny stuff, he sounds a little bit too keen to escape from the ball at the end "how do I get out" haha I dont see any practicle application other than like an arcade/ fairground ride or something :P

I would be overjoyed if arcades came back.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Our booth was right next to this thing at GDC, so I saw a couple of pretty epic falls. One dude did almost a full front flip when he stopped abruptly after running full tilt. There were a couple of real douchebags running the display, though. One dude spun the thing hard after a kid got inside, making him fall pretty hard. And then laughed at him.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Hamster ball VR + swivel chair + Sony Move = tits.

It'd be just like office chair laser tag, but probably better. Whoever builds one and sets it up as a 2-player mall kiosk for $5/game will be a very rich man.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Ryan Davis at Giant Bomb got some time inside it, in their GDC video. It's around the four minute mark, but there's an amazing tongue-in-cheek SpeedTree interview that needs to be watched before that. Hearing them talk about it on the podcast later was... interesting. Apparently the hamsterball people interviewed everyone after they tried it, for their impressions. Then there was this one random bloke who kept falling over constantly inside the thing. When he came out and asked to be interviewed, they shooed him away. Apparently he sucked too much to get to share his impressions.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Welcome to four years ago.
    More like 7.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Lamont wrote: »
    More like 7.

Yeah I remember seeing this on a science channel show years ago... and it STILL has the same graphics, hell, probably the same game...
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know... But I think I'd be slightly more comfortable using my regular pc rather than having a fuck-off big ball in my room.

I'm sure this is something that would be fun to try a couple of times or so.. But I don't see it becoming a big hit.. :p
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well to be fair, I doubt they're marketing it to consumers. One of the slides in the video running at the booth said something to the effect of "coming to over 100 malls nationwide"
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Totally impractical - you could only take baby-steps since the floor slopes 'up' all around you.. Might as well get a wii-fit style stepper device, walk on-the-spot and use the 'gun' to turn on screen..
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx wrote: »
    Totally impractical - you could only take baby-steps since the floor slopes 'up' all around you.. Might as well get a wii-fit style stepper device, walk on-the-spot and use the 'gun' to turn on screen..

The guys I watched sprinting full-tilt in the thing might beg to differ. :p
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Whatever the means, I can't wait until I can get tired playing an action/adventure game, from running about and swinging medieval weapons. There's something satisfying about getting a good workout, and would make walking around nicer. Strap into some sort of floating mech rig or something, which follows and resists your movement as necessary... hopefully without causing injury. Make everything a bit squishy and bouncy to reduce impact damage when running, or something.

It would almost feel like swimming, but you'd get used to it. Motions and gestures could even be scaled if you're too tired or not interested in the exercise, so as to only twitch one's limbs a small amount, and still perform full actions in the game.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    could be used as a nice jogging simulator lol
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't view this thread at first because I thought you meant hamster testicles... It makes more sense in context.

This thing is silly. A rotating treadmill would be way more effective. It could even be small enough to have in your home.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    I didn't view this thread at first because I thought you meant hamster testicles... It makes more sense in context.

This thing is silly. A rotating treadmill would be way more effective. It could even be small enough to have in your home.

Not sure how that would work. How would it sense you turning or stopping?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Hah! Cody actually got to roll around in that thing at GDC! However, he was not impressed, and neither was anyone else. The sheer hardware constraints of a system like this make it impractical for use in the home. As such, you are never going to see it marketed to a broad audience. The best it can hope for is to be used at arcades or other public venues. The military might be interested in using it for simulations, but I can assure you that this is NOT the future of video games.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    aesir wrote: »
    Not sure how that would work. How would it sense you turning or stopping?

I dunno, I'm not an engineer, but I have no doubt somebody could figure it out.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I did indeed try it. to turn you had to start walking in that direction, which had to be done very gradually, and wasn't easy. to stop it was like trying to stop yourself while running full speed down a hill. then you could turn and go another way.

in short, it was very disorienting, hard to control, and awkward. fun for a quick spin, but i don't really care if i ever am in one again.

the graphics were terrible, and the visor sucked. it was like looking at an iphone sized screen 4 feet in front of your face. at least i didn't fall like most people. when i got out the guy told me i caught on fast and did pretty well. I then spit in his eye and kicked him in the balls, then high-fived lotekk before giggling and running away with my arms flailing in the air.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    The sheer hardware constraints of a system like this make it impractical for use in the home. As such, you are never going to see it marketed to a broad audience. The best it can hope for is to be used at arcades or other public venues. The military might be interested in using it for simulations, but I can assure you that this is NOT the future of video games.

^This.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The whole deal with this as far as I can see is better and more natural immersion in a video game.

If however, you forget that you're in a ball and try to walk/run normally you'll fall since your feet will contact the raised side of the ball earlier than you would normally expect.

A structure that size will have a lot of momentum, so as has been said, stopping and turning will be a difficult gradual process.

I think it could work with a ball about four times the size - as long as you were running on top of it. It would have to move according to your foot placement/movement speed. Then you could have a fixed 360 globe structure all around you with the scene projected on it from outside - you could even have it in 3d and wear glasses...

For what this is, and the fact that it's a 'mall' attraction, why not go that extra mile?