Home General Discussion

Playstation Move

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Will it be better than the wii and natal?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0puP8nrIU8[/ame]

I pretty much agree with all the things the commercial said, wii games are not much more than waving your hands and natals tech demos didn't show much besides more silly mini games, hopefully the playstation move will actually be actuate enough just waving your hands wont work.

Replies

• rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How have the PSMove demos shown any more than Wii or Natal?

The tech seems the same, apart from he had two remote controls, one for each hand.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That vid was ... pretty awesome!!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I think its better then the Wii and Natal. Agreed with what was said in the commercial but I doubt there will be a good amount of games worth getting since I betting it will target most of the casual market like the wii. I mean look at the wii, there is what like 3 games worth getting and all 3 being Nintendo made games. (Both marios and wii sports) Obviously just my opinion on what a good wii game is but its mostly just shovel ware.

I will say that although it has taken Sony years they finally have started making great comericals again. I love Kevin Butler.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also isnt it gonna be wild (as in, good wild) once games like WiiSports (I mean, 3rd part ones) will start being released as ... multiplatform??? That's very very cool to imagine!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How have the PSMove demos shown any more than Wii or Natal?

The tech seems the same, apart from he had two remote controls, one for each hand.

The ball is used to calculate depth, so basically it knows exactly where the controller is, not just how its moving, or where its pointing.

Wii just knows where you are pointing, or the movement of the controller.

Natal is complex and claims to be able to completely track people only by using 3 cameras.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I honestly think the smartest move Sony has made in a LONG time is hiring Kevin Butler.

That guy is sincerely funny in all the adds Sony has him in. My favourite is the one where he's chatting with the girl's who's boyfriend hasn't gotten the PS3 hooked up to the internet. "Come on!!! ....What's wrong with him??" lolz.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I still have doubts on this, but man was that an awesome video :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool, apparently it lags like a bitch though, it isn't 1:1 yet.
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The ball is used to calculate depth, so basically it knows exactly where the controller is, not just how its moving, or where its pointing.

Didn't the Wii Motion Plus add that functionality though?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    no it still has to be pointed at the sensor bar to detect z-depth. you can move the "move" out of camera sight and it doesn't pause the game and ask you to point your remote at the screen.

i dont really like all this motion control stuff..

the only thing i would want out of any of the tech would be gesture based interface with the console or a computer.
    if microsoft applied natal to minority report shit, then apple's multi-touch really isnt that cool anymore.

but keep them away from games please.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    die_Kröte wrote: »
    Didn't the Wii Motion Plus add that functionality though?

I don't think so, its a bit more accurate than the flailing of the normal wii,

I think its just better for making gestures when its not pointing at the senor bars.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    still has some lag ====== pass

though it really depends on the games and the use of the device more than anything.

======

remains to be seen
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The wii isn't 1:1 but its close enough, hopefully the move will get there before launch, the PS3 has more power so it should be able to do a more than the wiimote without increasing lag.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz wrote: »
    I honestly think the smartest move Sony has made in a LONG time is hiring Kevin Butler.

That guy is sincerely funny in all the adds Sony has him in. My favourite is the one where he's chatting with the girl's who's boyfriend hasn't gotten the PS3 hooked up to the internet. "Come on!!! ....What's wrong with him??" lolz.

lol,

Anyways on topic. Even though this approach have been used and abused by Nintendo since "Super Nintendo." <.<

I'd say this move will be epic in Ps3.

*cough*ripoff*cough*
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    so well after wii have milked the market, sony step in and drink up the last few drops.

happening all too often with sony these past few years, they come in late and nibble up the last few crumbs from what has been someone elses very delicious sandwich.

looking forward to the next thing, this is pathetic old hat
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    past few years?

ps one had almost the exact layout of the super nes controller,
    rumble
    analog sticks

sony has been copying Nintendo's controllers for as long as there has been playstation.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think there's a future in motion tracking.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyZiKcI-EE[/ame]

133ms. Also remember reading a review from one of the sites that wasn't that impressed with it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah it needs to be half that.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UUUULTRA LAG LAG lag....lag
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    With six cores in the bitch, what the hell is causing that lag? Quality of the camera?
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With six cores in the bitch, what the hell is causing that lag? Quality of the camera?

More than likely. The lighting conditions have to be perfect for the damn thing to work, that's why the balls are colored at the top. I have the Playstation Eye and Eyetoy, and both usually require a lamp or two somewhere in the backdrop. That's why Natal has infrared I'm guessing.

They actually did this a long time again with the Eyetoy on a PSM demo disc, having you attach a color ball to the top of a stick and wave it around to preform magic tricks.

Looking forward to it, but only if there is software that utilizes it better than the motion games on consoles now. Unless their are Rabbid games, i'll buy those.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    arshlevon wrote: »
    past few years?

ps one had almost the exact layout of the super nes controller,
    rumble
    analog sticks

sony has been copying Nintendo's controllers for as long as there has been playstation.

Although I agree, you do have to remember that nintendo worked with sony to create the SNES. Sony pulled out at the last minute and released the playstation.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The Cell architecture includes a novel memory coherence architecture that emphasizes efficiency/watt, prioritizes bandwidth over latency, and favors peak computational throughput over simplicity of program code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken : I think you mean the SnesCD. It came waaaay late in the life cycle of the Snes (I'll forever remember the prototype pic I saw in a magazine back then)

snes_cd-rom.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hawken wrote: »
    Although I agree, you do have to remember that nintendo worked with sony to create the SNES. Sony pulled out at the last minute and released the playstation.

wasn't it an addon for the snes that ran discs, but sony pulled out to create the playstation while nintendo stuck with cartridge and made the n64?

just nit picking i guess, but i've heard a lot of storys about it over the years.

edit: damn you pior...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I am not really a fan of this Motion Controller stuff...I want to relax while gaming and not jump around in front of my TV...

That being said, I think that Move is definitely stronger than the Wii...haven't seen enough of Natal to comment on that though...but jumping around in front of my TV without a Controller seem even more silly...
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A nice toy for kids! :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    The wii isn't 1:1 but its close enough, hopefully the move will get there before launch, the PS3 has more power so it should be able to do a more than the wiimote without increasing lag.

no, the point is it's not close enough. at all. which is why it sucks.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ...I cant say alot about this due to NDA and crap....but I can say that those ps3 fuckers will be eatting there words really really hard once natal is around.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    All I know is that the dude playing the fighting game looks like the size of a 10 year old.

That, and those bran muffins look absolutely delicious.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon wrote: »
    if microsoft applied natal to minority report shit, then apple's multi-touch really isnt that cool anymore.

give it a week after natal's release and someone will have it up and running for your pc, i wouldn't be surprised if ms releases the software for that themselves
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Is that a joke add for a real product?

Is that really going to work to sell it?

I dont know, if anyone can sort out the mess Nintendo has got us into maybe Sony can.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    that was a fantastic commercial. Made me want it, even though I don't even really like motion controlled video games.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I dont think it's going to be much better than the Wii, control wise anyway. I just think this is going to be Wii with better graphics. The depth sensing will add to some games, but I don't think it's going to blow anyone away by any means.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I wish they could've come up with a better way to track depth on the controller with IR-LED on the end or something. Those multi-colored glowing balls are super annoying and I imagine even more so for those who like to play in the dark. Everyone likes pointing at Nintendo when it comes to calling things kiddy but that obnoxious ball on the end takes the cake.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    bounchfx wrote: »
    no, the point is it's not close enough. at all. which is why it sucks.

Yeah i agree, I'm so fucking unimpressed with Wii. I played Mariokart on it with a friend, which i used to love on the 64 (and still do), and just couldn't enjoy it, as it was close to uncontrollable. My friend was better because I guess she learnt how to anticipate the lag, but that sorta beats the point of making it more accessible...

I'll just stick with a regular controller for now.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I actually got some hands-on time with the Move at GDC. It seemed pretty responsive. The demo I played basically tied the Move in with mini-games that the Playstation Eye was already capable of. The difference was that it could detect twisting motions of the Move controller, as well as map 3D objects to the Move's position on screen.

I would be much more interested to see how the Move could be used for pointing at the screen. (potential mouse analog)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    seforin wrote: »
    .but I can say that those ps3 fuckers will be eatting there words really really hard once natal is around.

damn sef, I can taste the animosity. no console warz here plz
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like part of the lag is due in part to how sony has implemented move. Using the camera for tracking requires some heavier image processing to track the position of the ball.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Natal is complex and claims to be able to completely track people only by using 3 cameras.

Thanks for the info. Call me old fashioned, but I like to play games on a controller, I've never had a go on the motion controls, but to me they all kind of look like waving your arms in the air :D

I've been pondering getting a Wii, but I seriously only want one for 1 game - Super Mario Galaxy.

I might change my mind after having a go though, I'd be interested to try all of them.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    I dont think it's going to be much better than the Wii, control wise anyway. I just think this is going to be Wii with better graphics. The depth sensing will add to some games, but I don't think it's going to blow anyone away by any means.

Honestly that's pretty much how I feel. Even if it's technically better, the end result of the games still look like they'll revolve around waving your arms in the air :D

Like I said, I'm open minded though, maybe they'll be much better than I think.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    bounchfx wrote: »
    damn sef, I can taste the animosity. no console warz here plz

Nah I aint fan boying or anything, Im a collector so I love all systems equally.

I just hate that instead of showing "fun inventive or interesting tech" They are just making Ad's that are bashing something not even out yet. I mean we all grew up with the sonic and mario bashing back in the day. But they both showed off games and game play that made you kinda choose a side that was fun and interesting. But this is just straight out bashing of something and making it seem " where still cool check us out, Sony rulez microsoft drool LOL "

Its just stupid yo'
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really digged the commercial. Sure its pretty much a straight jab at microsoft/nintendo, but I thought it was funny.

We'll see how well move works. Seems like everybody is turning their nose up to the hardware, but what determines its success is the games. We'll just have to wait and see.

Half of the reason people think the Wii is only a "waving your arms" kinda thing, is because of the shovelware all doing the same thing to make a quick buck.

Imagine if it was waaaayyy more expensive to develop for the Wii, then we would see less of this. I think that since the PS3 (and Xbox for that matter) cost more to develop for, we might see less shovelware and more people trying to use these controllers creatively.

Plus, the regular controllers still exist, I'm sure those wont be phased out anytime soon.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I actually got some hands-on time with the Move at GDC. It seemed pretty responsive. The demo I played basically tied the Move in with mini-games that the Playstation Eye was already capable of. The difference was that it could detect twisting motions of the Move controller, as well as map 3D objects to the Move's position on screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/18/playstation-move-controller-lag-detected-analyzed/

that's nice to hear, and it only uses 2mb of the ps3's ram

But the lag still disappoints me, but I think natal is a lot more disappointing (and there's the same amount of lag), I still haven't seen live demos besides the ball one and the paint one, which both are pretty simple, nothing like fighting with a sword and shield on the ps3. I just feel the PS3's tech has more potential of actually working, like playing zelda on the wii, and the pointing was more of a hassle than playing it on a normal controller.

But I'll wait on buying one till I actually try out some games.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Initially when I saw the ps3 'wand' prototype it didn't really catch my interest, but man with the new move commercials and videos I think I'm more excited about this than the natal. Can't wait to see who which one turns out to be better. Natal still has alot to show.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Playing with a real guitar is a much better experience than air guitar, and I feel it'll be the same thing with Move and Natal :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    what i want:
    joypad.jpg
    these are basically two wii nunchuck shaped controllers
    the foot pedal should be accessable from one foot
    if wired or wireless is matter of taste i think
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The snes CD was a real mess, Nintendo seriously screwed themselfs with that one. Read the history section for the story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation

As for Natal, I have it on good authority that it makes toast! Lets see you best that Sony.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    some of the responses to this thread are funny.. yeah you're still waving your arms in the air.. and if you could play HL with a real crowbar then instead of looking like a nerd waving controllers around you look like a nutjob waving a crowbar around in your living room

I hope they get some decent FPS working with it.. Im hoping this is where it will shine. Playing FPS with a pad is retarded