Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Vagabonds Assaulter - WIP (crits needed)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BigErn polycounter lvl 11
So... I found this stunning concept a while back and decided as I need the practice at some hard surface stuff it would be very nice to do. As you can see I have progress so far, but spent a lot of time trying to get the proportions right. I`m sure some of the problem is that the concept has a 'cool pose'

As you can see there are various 'things' which are not done in my image, so those can be ignored : missing mirrored belts, buckles, block out ammo packs and accessories.

Just looking for people with a fresh look to guide me towards something I am very happy with.!?

Anyone? :\

pc001i.jpg
By bigern77 at 2010-03-05

Awesome concept from here : http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/
:poly122:

Replies

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly122: woo.. I really made an impression eh! Well without a crit I am working away.. if there are now crits, they WILL be listened to and things changed accordingly.

I have I guess a better render to show off.. :\
    (I know there is a LOT of mirroring going on, I`ll try to avoid that towards the end. just loads to get modelled.)

images updated in latest post.

gulp..
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    hey cool work man!
    has a really nice weight to it :)
    model looks pretty faithful so far! keep going!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey HntrLuc, thanks! I should add this is a base for what will hopefully be a game mesh :) 10-15k etc etc
  • kjell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    resembles the concept really well, would make it more interesting to have some scratches etc. tho
  • Dracula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it!
    I think the forearm look more interesting in the concept with those horizontal lines.
    It also seems that the legs are thinner in the concept.
    But its all just nitpicking! Keep going!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again people, indeed Dracula I will finish those forearms off, I had to change the model because the arms wouldnt actually be able to bend :D so I will redesign the elbow area and add all those little details which make the concept so nice!

Cheers!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like it alot!
    For the texture try and keep it clean, used but "clean". In space if your hit your dead.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good man nice n true to the concept, id keep working on the feet a bit something seems unfinished about the outer part of the boot. i think the indented details may be too thin on yours compared to the concept. looks good tho very nice modelling!

-Woog
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    whooo, sweet as a nut mate! reminds me of this concept i had 3 years back that i never finished.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    many thanks! :) Its good to hear something positive to keep me going. Its been a while working alone on this without seeing the light ( at the end of the tunnel ). I will look at crits and certainly take notes, ( the feet are something I feel are not totally right, thanks Woog ).
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Man thats freeaaking close to the concept alright, I think its awesome but if you feel like pushing it more here are some nitpicks:

-Id downscale the head 5%, and the part going out in the forehead by 20-30%, also the inset behind that part is a nice design touch , I would add it.

-Folds are nice but a bit too blooby, try using the slash 2 brush in zbrush to get a sharper effect on folds. ( 20 intensity then smooth it out ) Look at the bags in front, on the concepts there are many well place fold horizontally, try to imitate that.

-And finally the boots look a bit too big to me, maybe 10-20 % too big, also front part of boots look straight on concept but curved in the 3d modeling right now.

Take this with a grain of salt I love this work up to now and Im sure it ll end up kickass!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, thanks again. I am finished for another day. This is the latest update.

<<old image removed>>

wizo : thanks for the input and ideas. I have scaled down both his head and boots! I will add details on his head, all those little fiddly details have been left off for now, as I might get bogged down, and want to do a first pass.

The clothes/cloth have been done only as 1st initial pass. I do intend on spending a lot more time on those once I have got all the solid parts put in the right place.

Any more crits, fire away! :poly121:
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    love Ukutimuki's designs. Looks great so far dude, can't wait to see it finished!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So.. I have been updating. Still a load to do yet, but trying to get closer to the design. If there is something missing from mine, its cos I havent got around to it just yet.

The Arms are now working better, will try for more renders next time. Will go a little off design for underneath the arms but hope it will look ok!

Let me know how to improve! Thanks for all the comments so far! very helpful to know little thing which I might overlook, forget. :poly142:

pc006s.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-02
  • Dracula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do you always remove the images?
    I think you should leave them so that the progress could be seen.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    er.. not really thought about it :) just always think latest is best, I can leave them from now on :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Ohh yeah definite improvement! Great work! Make the shoulder a bit rounder and bulkier, and the small clip underneath them should be smaller.

and the pieces on the side of the head should be 10% bigger imo.

Go Go GO! This is awesome.
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brilliant, There is still alot more details in the painting. And the armours colour is a bit more military green. Other than that perfect!
  • The Dag Node
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dag Node polycounter lvl 12
    Terrific!!
    I just saw this concept the other day, thought it was really really good. Well planned and balanced and you seem to do a great job of bringing it to 3D.

Looking forward to updates. What are your goal with this. Still frame, ingame?
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dv8ix : Thanks! I know the green isn't right, just leaving that until the texture stage, just distracting myself with rendering. But keeps my from going mad. :)

Hey Dag Node, I am planning on just still frame, either in Marmoset or Unreal ( although I have no clue about that one just yet! ) I just want in engine as I think renders are not really how game chars should be shown.

I am not looking forward to the game res :) but I`ll try my best to get the level I strive for! Thanks for stopping by!
  • psychoticprankster
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap this is awesome. maybe try shaping the stomach/waist in a bit as hes looking a bit barrel chested.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    post angled perspective views as well, hard to tell the shape from just a frontal shot :) but looking good!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    BigErn wrote: »
    er.. not really thought about it :) just always think latest is best, I can leave them from now on :)

just leave the urls of the progression shots?

A CROMPROMISE APPEARS!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct : Thanks man, I have altered the chest and waist somewhat since the last update.

JohnnyRaptor : I agree about the pose, I have cheated a bit because this angle does show off what is nearly finished, I just didnt want to show the back as its not nearly as finished/polished as the front. More angles to come soon tho!

Harry : Agree :) Although I will just have to upload them again, I deleted them off the imagehost.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey like i said before great start. one thing that i think is a bit off from the concept at the moment is the shin guards, they seem a bit narrow to me compared to the concept also the armor on the back of the hand in the concept overlaps the forearm guard. looks really good tho the helmet is bad ass any you did an excellent job of converting it from the concept.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Loving the concept, loving the execution!!!
    Be sure to do little test bakes early if you want to bring it to lowpoly! Some parts might require more density than others and so on.

Can't wait to see it done!!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity : I`ll check out those comments about the shins/hands, been working on so much I miss bits out.

pior : thanks man. Indeed the concept is that good I have to work very hard to get it into a good game mesh, its going to be somewhat of a struggle!

On with updates. :

pc007.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-04

I updated loads: Another pass on clothing / Finished* hands / changed shoulders slightly, made them less blobby /

*finished as in couldnt really see enough on concept so threw some shapes together.

Need to do : all little additions to helmet. improve feet. 3 more waist belts to do.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another day......... of frustration! Why is Maya x64 with 8gb of RAM so UNSTABLE :poly127:

so.. fixed up his legs, shins some more, render it from the back to realise it was quite weak looking. Redid his leg length and made boots thicker from behind. Added some details to helmet, might not be able to see them :poly124:.. A few more belts and buckles,..

Need to do :

improve feet still.
    3 more packs for his waist
    finish off the details to backpack.
    make a realtime version :poly122:

pc008m.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-05

Lemme know your thoughts!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    The only crit I can think of is the pack in the middle of him (it's darker in the concept art) might need to be a little more vertical if you're trying to match it exactly. But seriously, this is fantastic :D I can't wait to see you take it to game-rez, along with several others I'm sure (the pressure is ON)
  • The Dag Node
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dag Node polycounter lvl 12
    Great update!
    What are yout approach to creating the folding. I assume you use zbrush, but do you import all the character pieces or how do you deal with it?

thanks.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos : I agree about colours. I`m not fussed atm, as I plan on doing the colours for the Realtime, then I will try and get the colours spot on.

The Dag Node : Yea cloth is sculpted and brought into the Maya scene for render. Of course the other way is to bring all the rigid bits to ZB to sculpt the cloth, make sure nothing intersects. The scene is pretty heavy in Maya, causing some stability issues, it was only 2million, so decimated objs and got it down to 1.1million. Realtime will be started this coming week! :poly122:
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so..... many many many hours later we have this.....

pc_009.jpg

Its a bit heavy :) but I think these poly counts are quite normal these days? Just the small task of grabbing it all now! :poly122: A few 'bags' yet to do for around the waste, might attempt those after the grabbing process.!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    dude, that looks freakin sick! good job!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks awesome to me
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aahh, very interesting character.

Looks a lil stiff but very cool.

Can't wait to see the final texture!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Those tri-counts are acceptable, but I think you could shave a number of tries off your calves, forearms, and helmet. Also off the feet. It kind of looks like you down-rezed your high poly for those parts and you could cut a lot of loops from them and still maintain shape.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the crits, I`ll certainly look at them and see if I can make changes at this stage. I`m sorta in the home straight, and although I know there are problems, little things I can over look :) I hope!

If anyone could give advice on how to avoid the head seam? :/ it only shows in Marmoset, its mirrored, sharing the same normal map etc. Currently there is 1x2048 for it all.

pc010.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-12
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I remember there was a discussion in the marmoset thread about how to fix seams, I don't remember off the top of my head though...

Its looking great, but some of the poly distribution seems uneven.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I`ll check it out ZacD, I have managed to remove some of the seam, by grabbing the object differently. There are still some errors tho, not sure why, will look tomorrow or next week, and will start to colour and texture! :) FINALLY.....!

Lemme know thoughts, comments etc.....!

pc011.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-12
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    i believe the solution was changing the shader type

nice work, following the thread for sure!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice bake man! Very clean only see a few things that look off, but they are minor.

Personally id add an extra edge loop on the shoulder pads on the top to round them out a bit more. Shouldn't add very many polys and will hide the polycount better.

Also you might as well bake out the spec and diffuse from the hipoly too, you did a great job roughing them out so far so might as well use them as a jumping point.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Fabulous bake. That armor is so uniquely shaped!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, funny you should ask :) I have been working all day on textures, still no way near finished, spec has just been throw on with no map :poly121:

I need to : adjust colours, add more normal map stuff, finish some other modelling, work out how to make glass work in Marmoset :poly122: do spec map, improve textures in general....

phew!..... crits?

pc012.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-15
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work BigErn. Exceptional. He reminds me one of these guys from bomb squads with a little bit of appleseed :)

thanks for sharing!

i would add a bit more weathering to the guy overall. some slightly darker wear on his shoulders perhaps like you did to his kneepads.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk: many thanks! I have been working again today on textures. I feel I could have done better, but time, and pressure to have it finished are leading to short cuts and things being forgotten.

I have this update.

I will hold off showing the back as I need to regrab a few of the things, and make a couple more belt items. So its weaker than the front.

:poly141:
    pc014.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-03-16

updated rather bland image
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a couple things, for the seam:
    1. Make sure your uvs have enough space around them so the texture isnt mipping down and blending into another section of the map
    2. Make sure you have plenty of edge padding, like 32 pixels or something, too much padding is never bad, also make sure your NM bg color is NM blue(127,127,255) and not black
    3. You can force on anisotropic filtering in your video card drivers, this will help the default(poor) filtering/mipping that marmoset uses

As far as other mesh issues, if you're exporting from maya with the stooge plugin, do a "lock normals" on your mesh first. If you've baked in maya, when you run the export plugin it will triangulate your mesh, and any quads you have will now have different normals. Locking normals retains the mesh normals in the state they were baked in, and can help improve the quality. Make sure not to save your scene after using the plugin, as its undoable.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers EarthQuake, those are very good tips. I think that I have done pretty much all of it wrong so far! :)

1.I think I under tested the padding, went for about 2, I just think its going to bleed too much to other uv shells, my lack of experience at using 2k maps, as there is plenty of room!

2. I do have 128,128,255 for NM blue, I think its about right, always have done that.
    3. I`ll look into the filtering, if you could advise where to look ? and what will it improve, the quality of the renderer?

Also thanks on the nomals lock in Maya, never used such a thing, so will export again with that in mind!.

Going to get another screen grab, not happy with current one. Too bland.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Great work BigErn! This is a really awesome piece.