Home General Discussion

What is your goal? Career-wise.

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked at bestbuy for a while then gamestop... it's like any other job... boring.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    vcool wrote: »
    I've been considering working there over the summer. Not that I have much chance of getting in, but I'd love to try.

...That saddens me so much to hear someone say how much they would like to work at EB Games. Let alone that you don't think you stand a chance to get the job.

That is just about as sad as the game show that's reward is to get a job as a game tester...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people who haven't yet worked at an EB Games/Gamestop think it's a dream job. I'm sorry to break the news to you, but it's not. It's the same as any other mind-numbing, minimum wage retail job. Horrible customers, messy shevles, pea-brained management and all. :P
    And the employee discount is only 15%... that barely covers any more than the tax. And since working there, I have ended up spending way more on games than I used to, since they're always there... tempting me... o.o

Well thanks for the obvious newz Mezz. I was giving a positive response because retailers get their own percentage off and the store percentage off when they buy games...I think...o.o

So 15% of employees discount + 10% discount ( that is trade in 3 get one free type of scheme)

So, if we are paying $70 for a game, you would pay I dont know..$52.5?

I couldnt get in because first, I dont have that "sell out" retail ability. If someone would ask me to explain the product to him I would explain postives and the negatives of the product to him... <.< the Interviewer of EB games saw that thing in me and told me that "we'll call you"...never heared from him ever since...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Getting a job at Blizzard.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Play active part in the revolution of the current civilization. Something utopian, like The Venus Project maybe?
    But yes, gotta be making my own env concepts that would sell at bids and make a successful indie game :)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, the spirit of this thread is derailing...

Let me just make my first goal:

Get a junoir-level animation job in the industry at a stable but not-too-small game studio. :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    become an moderator on the Polycount boards
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoke Weed
    Get Money
    Fuck Bitches
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Well those are silly goals, EarthQuake... or are they?

Id like to get an entry level job within the next year or so... cause washing dishes for money makes me sad:(
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

I also want to help make weapons in games not look like totally inaccurate heaps of concrete.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »

come on guys lets make this happen, lee is a great guy!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll stick with my passionate goal of life:

Which is, finish my first project, start my game studio and work my ass off to make that business successful....
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Lee3dee wrote: »

oh wait i need to change mine to, stop Lee from becoming a polycount moderator! He'll go power crazy i tells ya! He'll eat our women and rape your foods!
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Get a job that involves walking around the office pointing both index fingers at people and goin "eyyyyy"
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    after animation mentor i´m not that sure, i would like to work in the movie industry, mpc, framestore, double negative, gameindustry-wise companies like ninja theory are pretty interesting :)

another goal is to just animate and no more technical stuff, rigging, integration :D
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTdsijn32HQ&amp;feature=related[/ame]
    this about sums it up for me :D

i just hope to get a job one day making art that i like making or to get a job where i would have the time to do that at home
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I just wanna be able to get old comfortably.

Now, on the way there, I want to live on some other continents for a while, hopefully doing art, or something else thats interesting.

I reckon that I am doing it for the ride, and if I was in it for the money, I should have become an accountant or some other boring profession.

But I guess I took the decision to not work my ass off for the life that I lose by doing it, but rather to get by, and do something I enjoy.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    For anyone who hasn't seen this insightful documentary

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPflLGEHUAI[/ame]

This.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Have/be Director at my own studio, making my game, the best game ever made. Of course, it'll probably end up like Too Human. That being said, TH is an awesome game that is just a hate-magnet. Of course if I have an epic team it'll hopefully be the next Zelda or MGS.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    *GOal 1: Own my own country.

*GOal 2: Work at Valve AND Blizzard as an awesome animator, im sure its achievable if I get better. ;D Might have to sacrifice some babies at some point but it is doable ;D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would like to be blasted in to outer space when I die with the words 'do not disturb' written on the coffin lid.
    more short term goals include eating a really big cheeseburger, buying a new usb stick and returning my library books
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your way of thinking, Ruz..
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Short term: Get a project I've been working on with a friend of mine released, quit the pizza delivering job I'm currently doing and actually start living again after leaving R* Leeds and save up for tying the knot with the mrs to be. Getting fed up with telling her we'll get married when we can afford it.

Long term: Look in to contract work as well as working with my friend, overall just to able to have pride in what I'm doing and not delivering pizzas to benefit cheating chavs who seem to be earning more than me a week just by sitting on their arses doing fuck all and pushing out mini chavs if they need money for the latest tv or more weed...
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    make the link model in a nextgen zelda game...

anybody working at nintendo? :D
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    make the link model in a nextgen zelda game...

anybody working at nintendo? :D

You're going to have to break through the Japanese cultural barrier like the Juggernaut breaks through walls to get that role.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, land a job as a Character Artist or 3D Artist in General @ Valve Software > Retire. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    same here brother... :thumbup:
    JMYoung wrote: »
    Right now, to work on a game that I would go out and buy.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    All I want is to work on games I'd actually play myself :(
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I expect I shall die eventually.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Answering the OP without reading the thread, so pardon any thread derailment.
    1. - Maintain a high level of creative freedom.
    2. - Keep working in a collaborative manor.
    3. - Continue to be paid well and not over worked. I think people are more creative for longer when they can live a well balanced life. So basically working at a place that doesn't give out sleeping bags as a sign on bonus...
    4. - Enjoy a level of job stability that seems to elude the rest of the industry and possibly stay in the area.
    5. - Stay away from management roles.
    6. - A boss that understands that and doesn't look down on someone who turns down a "career advancing opportunity" when they don't see it as advancing their career.

If I can keep all that, and maybe MAYBE work with a more advanced engine than what I currently do then, I'd be golden. The title and the fame aren't really big pulls for me if the rest of that stuff isn't there.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i want to be a wizard

failing that, i'd settle for not having to do this fucking schedule
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Id settle for living comfortably in a job I enjoy though
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I wanna be top DAWG haha, the best of the best

I would love to work with Joe mad/Vigil but do it from home in the UK and get paid haha

At the moment I would settle with a job to get me back in the industry or for my freelance endeavors to be successful as I take the plunge in the next few weeks :D otherwise its to be successful, like a senior/lead character artist somewhere and not worry about money all the time :)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    To earn enough to be comfortable and keep my family safe and secure.
    To enjoy my work.
    To grow as a person.

That is all.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricV wrote: »
    If I can do something that lets me be creative, challenges me, and makes me feel like I am really accomplishing something then theres nothing more I could ask for. That would make me happy career wise

What he said. ^
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    danr wrote: »
    i want to be a wizard

Put on your robe and hat.
    ny_central_park_angel_and_blackwolf_the_dragonmaster_09_961.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Still not sure where I want to go, wouldn't mind working up to Lead Artist and possible venture into areas of Design and Level Design along the way. Then move into a Creative Director position, all of which in a solid independent studio. If I worked for a publisher.... I would rather just produce art :P
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    To work at Bioware Montreal or Valve, and then the world domination!
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    First...I'd like to actually do a damn environment, I want to be an environment artist but keep doing props...

My career goal would be to work at Insomniac on a Resistance game.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first and greatest goal, FX artist at Bioware Edmonton (yeah, I actually love Edmonton). Next to that, get a job at a decent studio and grow with them.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    mathes wrote: »
    My first and greatest goal, FX artist at Bioware Edmonton (yeah, I actually love Edmonton). Next to that, get a job at a decent studio and grow with them.

I think bioware is already a very decent studio :p
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    be a game designer on something awesome
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think bioware is already a very decent studio :p

Yep, then let's hope my #1 can happen!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Someone else brought up another cool thing that I have a goal of doing.

I really want to work and live in a bunch of different cities or countries. Going on a vacation to places doesn't seem like enough, I would want to live there for a year or two given that I like the place. :)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    ...That saddens me so much to hear someone say how much they would like to work at EB Games. Let alone that you don't think you stand a chance to get the job.

That is just about as sad as the game show that's reward is to get a job as a game tester...

Alternatively I could try getting in some computer store.

I can imagine it all being incredibly boring, but I'd rather be bored around computers than around clothes or food.

I could always volunteer to work in the labs on campus, but I won't get paid. :) Although that would give valuable experience.

EDIT: I realised that even though my greater goal is to work for a space agency doing things I find interesting, or better yet be an astronaut, I wouldn't mind working for Valve or Bioware as someone said. That ain't gonna happen though.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    be a part of something meaningful and impactful, something that will resonate with people for years to come. i'm not talking about legacy here, i think thats too lofty a goal for most any game artist, but more like... being a part of something really cool that alot of people will like and can have an effect on the public consciousness. Something that won't just be forgotten or rolled over within a month to make room for new shit on the shelf. I think thats the most anybody in this industry can really ask for, there is no such thing as classics with video games, no one is going to play some 10 year old game today and enjoy it and be blown away just like someone was 10 years ago. This medium constantly progresses both in terms of looks and experience, and there are no classics, only remakes. So what can you do as an artist? I don't know, we're craftsmen whose craft becomes obsolete every decade or so, all we can do is keep learning new things, honing our craft and hoping the paychecks will keep coming.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    rawkstar wrote: »
    there is no such thing as classics with video games.

yo rawkstar i like you and I'mma let you finish.

but what you said was bullshit. and also probably for another thread..

though I do agree on what you said overall! to work on an incredible product that people will remember and love would be awesome. I think you're already pretty close to that, but it also depends on what your definition of that is.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar wrote: »
    be a part of something meaningful and impactful, something that will resonate with people for years to come. i'm not talking about legacy here, i think thats too lofty a goal for most any game artist, but more like... being a part of something really cool that alot of people will like and can have an effect on the public consciousness. Something that won't just be forgotten or rolled over within a month to make room for new shit on the shelf. I think thats the most anybody in this industry can really ask for, there is no such thing as classics with video games, no one is going to play some 10 year old game today and enjoy it and be blown away just like someone was 10 years ago. This medium constantly progresses both in terms of looks and experience, and there are no classics, only remakes. So what can you do as an artist? I don't know, we're craftsmen whose craft becomes obsolete every decade or so, all we can do is keep learning new things, honing our craft and hoping the paychecks will keep coming.

Although you are pretty much right about every other stuff, you are way off the track in terms of understanding the meaning of classic. And you are wrong about what you said there.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/classic

"Having lasting significance or worth; enduring."

I'd say a game like Starcraft (the original) would be considered a classic. South Korea made it into a national sport. An astonaught took a copy into outer space. It is listed in the Gueniss Book of World Records four times. It basicly spawned professional gaming. and it "was part of the US Air Force's Aerospace Basic Course, used to teach newly active officers about crisis planning under stress and joint service teamwork".

How much more significant does a products impact need to be to be a "classic"?

I'm using Starcraft as an example because you work at the company that made it Rawkstar.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah dude whatever, I'm not here to argue semantics call it whatever you want.

What i'm saying is i don't think a game can stand the test of time the same way as a movie or a book can, and with all the stuff coming out nowadays I have a hard time really seeing any game having the same kind of impact that games like starcraft, doom, or half-life had. There's been some good stuff for sure, not everything is crap, but i can't really put my finger on anything that came out 5 years ago that is still widely played today and with just as much enthusiasm, besides wow.