Home General Discussion

What is your goal? Career-wise.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
I've never seen this subject brought up here before so hey. HERE IT IS!

Title says it all eh? We've all seen the hundreds of threads saying... "I want to work with videogames!" but what happens after that?

I've always wanted to try and make my own company, no matter what field I was in. Guess it runs in the family. All family members have had their own stores and the like. I guess the current goal I have right now though is to reach senior-level.

Also. Cash. Cash is my goal. Gathering sick amounts of cash in any possible legal way. Capitalism ftw.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Art Director at a small game studio where I can still spend time actually making art instead of managing people all day.

At some point I'd like to develop my own game, but that's more of a pipe dream at the moment.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working for a space agency, or perhaps doing research in some observatory.

Well my REAL REAL REAL hope is to be an astronaut, but like hell that's gonna happen so yeah.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Actually, there was a thread like this a few weeks back :P

Ultimately, maybe art director, but that's really really pushing it. I'd be happy to just be an env art lead.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I want to make a living on the creative side of making fun things that help people have a good time. Making art for video games is my favorite possible route to that goal, but I think I'd be just as happy to be some kind of toy designer, or writer or something.

Less loftily, my secondary goal is to make a living doing anything that doesn't involve heavy lifting, customer service, or standing the entire time.

Failing those, I'd take anything that let me get my own place and let me maybe take a break every 4 to 6 hours or so.

Edit: No, I want to make art for games. Forget everything else. If we're talking goals, that's my goal. Anything else is just stuff I'd settle for.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I want to eventually break out of the daily grind and make my own tiny studio with an able programmer to make the things ive always wanted to! not just art wise.. but game design wise!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I want to make super awesome characters for a super awesome game, laying down in a hammock, on a sandy beach in Aruba, being fanned by an islander in a coconut bikini, while sipping a pina colada.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I like Jacque's goal, lol.

My ultimate career goal would be to own or co-own a own studio that produced games similar to the quality of Epic and ID.

Before that happens... env art lead :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    At the moment it's landing a spot somewhere doing props or something lighting related. Eventually I'd love to be a big guy up top like a producer or something somewhere, but honestly I'm content with just asset creation.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    To wake up every day and enjoy going to work.

Right now I get that satisfaction as a Manager at a social game developer.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    short team goal: make enough enviro art to get into the industry

long term goal: move in to character art when I have more industry experience.

dream: to draw my own concepts and do both enviro and character art when I see fit haha
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    To achieve unlimited power.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    retire and open up a brewpub in Austin
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Work at 1 of three studios:

Bethesda (or ZeniMax any of there studios)
    Firaxis
    Epic

These are in no specific order. Id love to do either environment art or some kind of technical art position... I don't care about getting rich, just want to live comfortably!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Right now, to work on a game that I would go out and buy.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    open a pizzA joint
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    actually I ended up in a lead role right now. I feel like I can make an impact on the final quality we deliver, yet it's not a burden that weighs you down all the time. Also I ended up in a quite exciting place of the world. So I'm quite happy at the moment.

Other than that, my goal that is always there: avoid crunch and overtime by any means. Those two things are just not good for you :)
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to be successful.... :)
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    to bring the future. :)
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    retire and open up a brewpub in Austin

Amen.

I want to be successful, retire at a decent age with my awesome family, and focus on the important things in life like "hanging out" and "chilling". :)
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    contribute to one film

-B
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    short term goal: Break into the industry hopefully getting a job somewhere nice (studio and location)

Long term: Being successful with traditional and digital art.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I think one day being an art director would be a long term goal of mine. hard to say when I haven't even had an industry job yet to experience production for myself. Which leads in to my major goal right now.

Get a job working as a modeler in the games industry.

Otherwise my goals would just be to work at studios I really like, working on cool projects. I'm only 20 now and I could see doing that until I'm in my early 30's and then I guess by that point I would have other goals to pursue.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Pseudo wrote: »
    To wake up every day and enjoy going to work.

Couldn't of said it better myself. I don't have a specific position in mind, but I'd like whatever position I get to be enjoyable in terms of the actual work and the people I work with.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to ressurect Oddworld Inhabitants and work there as a character modeler, or be Jacque Choi's future self, that'd be ok too...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Long term for me is to get out of the art production trenches and become a producer or lead artist type role, more management than actual making shit. kinda the opposite of most of you guys but right now I find I dont do personal art that much because im busy making stuff all day, so to reverse that would be fun i think.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Right now its just to get back into the games industry. I've been without a job for a while now, intend to rectify that in the hopefully near future.

Eventually I'd like to become a tech artist, but I'll need to learn quite a bit before that happens. Would also like to work at Epic, Blizzard, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Double Fine, or Sony Santa Monica at some point.

Financially speaking, my goals are to pay down my school loans, and amass enough cash so that I don't have to worry about each paycheck.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eventually Technical Art Director.

And pixelmasher I could totally picture you as a producer.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Become Better Character Artist and in drawing
    in long term - Lead artist after getting good knowledge
    Most importantly enjoy the work which i love to do...stable life
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I've yet to look for a first job so i could say my goal might change somewhere along the line. :)

But to me, just working at Blizzard, on something as symbolic as WoW, is where i want to end up. I could be happy for the rest of my life working on something like that. :)

One day. :)
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to get a job doing handpainted for MMO/RPG company as a:

3D Artist
    Get promoted to Senior/Lead 3D artist
    Level Designer/World Builder
    Art Director
    Get master's in Life Drawing
    Open my own company

Yes...I got a lot of dreams and life goals, it's what keeps me going!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Make games that I want to play.

Not interested in being a lead or anything like that. I just like doing stuff that will make a game work, and work in a great team.

After that, my goal is to some how work out how I genetically make real life pokemon.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Long term for me is to get out of the art production trenches and become a producer or lead artist type role, more management than actual making shit. kinda the opposite of most of you guys but right now I find I dont do personal art that much because im busy making stuff all day, so to reverse that would be fun i think.

Same, Ive always been interesting in Production so my end goal career wise is to become a producer, Ive had some experience managing a Small Localization team at EA but not to the extent i would like to.

After becoming a producer id would love to open up my own studio but lets see how things go :P
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    In life, art and love! Professionally... the same, sans exclamation point.

A somewhat less-vague goal I've had for ages is to work at a place like id software, but honestly I'd love to work with any group of mature, similarly passionate individuals in the so-called industry of game.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I really, really wanted to work at Harmonix. However, where I am now is way too awesome to consider leaving.

I just want to continue improving at a steady rate and be happy doing what I do.

I'd LOVE to work on a GAME game someday, where budget and time is less of an issue, and it's more about the end result then marketing and profit. that'd be cool.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be a certified personal trainer and nutritionist. Going to college for both atm. Graphics-wise, it's just a good fall back career and it's fun for me to do. Health and helping people is my real passion though.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    To keep getting paid.

As long as i can help make great looking games i don't care what my title is. Be it leading, technical work, or trench work i'll be happy just so long as the pay is good and i can make sure the game looks great.

After that i want to be able to retire and sleep.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    If I can do something that lets me be creative, challenges me, and makes me feel like I am really accomplishing something then theres nothing more I could ask for. That would make me happy career wise
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    n88tr wrote: »
    Be a certified personal trainer and nutritionist. Going to college for both atm. Graphics-wise, it's just a good fall back career and it's fun for me to do. Health and helping people is my real passion though.

What are you doing here then :P
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    n88tr wrote: »

My man! Keep at it man the Health industry is booming my friend is a personal trainer at the Fitness world here in Burnaby and he makes a crazy amount of money.

In Highschool i wanted to be a personal trainer but didn't think it was the right choice for me personally.

Best of luck with your future endeavors!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    What are you doing here then :P

Like my post said... for fun. And challenge... when I master this shit I'll probably drop it cold, that's how i do things.
    ae. wrote: »
    My man! Keep at it man the Health industry is booming my friend is a personal trainer at the Fitness world here in Burnaby and he makes a crazy amount of money.

In Highschool i wanted to be a personal trainer but didn't think it was the right choice for me personally.

Best of luck with your future endeavors!

Thanks. Yeah with obesity at 50% of us population I should be taking in plenty of clients.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    My career:
    - Profession I learned from College: Software Engineer.
    - Self-pace learning atm: 3d modeling practice and game programming(as in directx programming)

My Goal:
    - Start my own game studio and work my way from there.

Working on:
    - My first project.

What is done:
    - Storyline, and sketch of 3 initial characters.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Well, first goal:

Get the FUCK out of EB Games.

Second goal:

Get the fuck IN to an industry job :D Right now, as a Junoir Animator at a stable video game studio.

Goals from there:

Oh, I dunno, I think being Animation Lead could be fulfilling, maybe even Art Director if I can ever reach that level of godliness.

Overall (dream?) Goal:

Kickass concept artist, working on big titles and getting to design all the main characters.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz....you work in EB games? Thats Epic!! O.O

You get the store discount and employee's discount on everything you buy from EB games...<.<
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    animation director on pre-rendered game cinematics (not ingame crap)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13

Also. Cash. Cash is my goal. Gathering sick amounts of cash in any possible legal way. Capitalism ftw.

haha and this too
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Cash does sound good.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    • get paid to make art
    • work with like minded people
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Mezz....you work in EB games? Thats Epic!! O.O

You get the store discount and employee's discount on everything you buy from EB games...<.<

It never ceases to amaze me how many people who haven't yet worked at an EB Games/Gamestop think it's a dream job. I'm sorry to break the news to you, but it's not. It's the same as any other mind-numbing, minimum wage retail job. Horrible customers, messy shevles, pea-brained management and all. :P
    And the employee discount is only 15%... that barely covers any more than the tax. And since working there, I have ended up spending way more on games than I used to, since they're always there... tempting me... o.o
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people who haven't yet worked at an EB Games/Gamestop think it's a dream job. I'm sorry to break the news to you, but it's not. It's the same as any other mind-numbing, minimum wage retail job. Horrible customers, messy shevles, pea-brained management and all. :P
    And the employee discount is only 15%... that barely covers any more than the tax. And since working there, I have ended up spending way more on games than I used to, since they're always there... tempting me... o.o

I've been considering working there over the summer. Not that I have much chance of getting in, but I'd love to try.