Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
I know some people here will be excited by this, I know I am!

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-greenlights-game-of-thrones-.html
6a00d83451d69069e201310f542cb2970c-800wi.jpg

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I saw this. I'm so fucking stoked. Too bad it's impossible for the books to finish before the series does.
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha definately not at the authors current pace
  • Krynn72
    I'm hoping this lights a fire under his ass and he actually starts working again. Hasn't Dance with Dragons been delayed for over two years now?

In spite of my dissapointment with GRRM, im am so stoked for this. Its going to be amazing. I'm going to be getting hbo just for this show because I want to see the entire thing, not just one season. Hopefully it hits big. Please don't just download it if you can afford to support it :D

But spring 2011 is soooooo far away :(
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    ahh ya this is going to be badass. Loved Sopranos and Rome. Might even buy HBO just for this.
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone tell if that's a production photo? Or a cropped grab from the pilot?
  • bounchfx
    holy fuck yes. I can't even imagine how awesome this is going to be to have a serious adult 'fantasy' drama.

I only ever finished the first book (the second book is on my desk waiting to be read.. I've had it for the past year, I just need to start it!), but I really enjoyed it.

Can't freaking wait.
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. HBO is a perfect fit for the series.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Not to be a poopy pants(I am) but isnt the book really boring? I've only read the first but it was all political nonsense(:yawn)
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Calabi wrote: »
    Not to be a poopy pants(I am) but isnt the book really boring? I've only read the first but it was all political nonsense(:yawn)

Its shocking, but some people have a different opinion.

I loved the books..although the last one pissed me off..I wanted more of a certain person
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    so fucking stoked for this. i will get HBO to watch this.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    How the hell can they do Game of Thrones when they had to pull the plug on Rome because it cost too much? In any case, I'm stoked. But still bitter about Rome being cancelled.
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    HO-LEE SHEEEIT

I'll take 1 season of this over nothing at all.
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »

But that's what makes it unique instead of most nonstop magical action fantasies. There is more action in the latter books though.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    this is one of the books I just don't want to see as movie. Not because the book's bad - it's brilliant - but there's just sooooo much that can go wrong.
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Gahhhhhh!! Yes!

This is probably my most favorite book series. I don't think HBO will screw it up, they've made a lot of great series. Well, at least I really hope they don't.

As for a Dance With Dragons, we just won't talk about that. :( At this rate we'll get the show before we hear another word about Daenerys.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    so... happy... I bet the series gets as far as the books have gone before the next book comes out.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    low odor wrote: »
    Its shocking, but some people have a different opinion.

I loved the books..although the last one pissed me off..I wanted more of a certain person

You and me both, brother. GRRM's splitting the POVs between Feast and Dance has made for a ridiculous wait on some characters - literally 10 years since we last had a new scene for them. On his blog, it sounds like he's actually making progress, but at this point, it's hard to believe anything. Robert Jordan fucking DIED, and his series will still get wrapped up before Martin's will :/
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »
    On his blog, it sounds like he's actually making progress, but at this point, it's hard to believe anything. Robert Jordan fucking DIED, and his series will still get wrapped up before Martin's will :/

i'd rather wait then let someone else finish the series.
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    What ever happened to "The Preacher? Wasn't that meant to be in production too by HBO? Anway, GOT will be awesome I'm sure. The only crap HBO ever touched was "Little Britain".
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    For people who complain about it taking so long, Neil Gaiman sums it up pretty well

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    i'd rather wait then let someone else finish the series.

What's your opinion if Martin croaks but leaves notes and unfinished chapters behind? Not interested?
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    This is going to be an awesome show. I honestly hope that they've learned a lesson with Rome. I think there may be some pressure from the fanbase, but honestly i believe this series can be perfectly easilly done on low budget, i'd much rather see good acting than pretty sets.
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar wrote: »
    This is going to be an awesome show. I honestly hope that they've learned a lesson with Rome. I think there may be some pressure from the fanbase, but honestly i believe this series can be perfectly easilly done on low budget, i'd much rather see good acting than pretty sets.

Main thing that worries me with a low budget is having to overly cheat the scale of things. Large armies and sprawling castles etc. The books have an epic sense of scale that I hope they can pull off.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    Well GRRM cheats alot in that area himself... hehe you hear of alot of battles second hand
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha true. That can make it seem more epic though! Like big events happening 'out there'...Which might be more mundane 1st person. I don't know what I'm saying. Bye.
  • Ben Apuna
    I would have preferred that GRRM had finished the books before moving on to the tv series.

I'll probably still watch the series as that's all the Song of Ice and Fire I'm likely to get for some time. I'll probably even enjoy it as the story behind it is one of the best I've ever read and HBO has a history of making great tv series.

As for books I think it's time to find something new to read rather than wait...
  • Pseudo
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome, I can't wait!

My favorite book series by far, and I just started re-reading the series this past month so great timing.
  • erik!
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    SyaPed wrote: »
    But that's what makes it unique instead of most nonstop magical action fantasies. There is more action in the latter books though.

I guess thats true, thats one reason I like the new Battlestar, it was more about the people than it was about the fantastical.

I wasnt paying attention either, I thought it was going to be a movie so it being a series, now they will be able to pay attention much more to the human element.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »
    What's your opinion if Martin croaks but leaves notes and unfinished chapters behind? Not interested?

what's your opinion if dinosaurs ruled the earth?

i like these books because of Martin's writing and sense of world. If it takes him a bit longer to make a good book, i'm fine with that. giving it to another author who could spit out a book in six months would be fucking stupid, in my opinion, and would destroy the series.

if for some reason he dies but left copious notes, i would only be satisfied if a competent writer could ape his style perfectly. otherwise fuck it. it'd be like watching AVP all over again.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I've never heard Martin compared to AVP. What a beautiful image.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the public would be so upset about the next book in the series if he didn't say it was already finished in the back of the last book he said it was finished but was too big to fit in the last book so they split it and it would be coming out early the next year.. and then we have waited years for that to come out now.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been hanging for this and for Dance to come out. I've been re-reading the books again in anticipation for the TV series.

Totally amped.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the public would be so upset about the next book in the series if he didn't say it was already finished in the back of the last book he said it was finished but was too big to fit in the last book so they split it and it would be coming out early the next year.. and then we have waited years for that to come out now.

you know what's going to happen don't you? The last book he wrote too long, so he split it off into another book. Now he's on this one, and he keeps thinking he's almost done, but he writes just a bit more, and a bit more, and a bit more, until we're where we're at now with Dance being at 1200 pages or some shit already, so he's gonna split this book in half, and then the next book will be split in half, and this will continue on until he dies of a heart attack, never finishing.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    what's your opinion if dinosaurs ruled the earth?

i like these books because of Martin's writing and sense of world. If it takes him a bit longer to make a good book, i'm fine with that. giving it to another author who could spit out a book in six months would be fucking stupid, in my opinion, and would destroy the series.

if for some reason he dies but left copious notes, i would only be satisfied if a competent writer could ape his style perfectly. otherwise fuck it. it'd be like watching AVP all over again.

If dinosaurs ruled the earth, I'd likely curse their sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Anyway, I didn't ask you if you were interested in having another author quickly spit out a book and destroy the series. I assume everyone's answer to that would be 'no.' I was curious as to whether you're okay with just letting it hang unfinished forever rather than get a conclusion. Brandon Sanderson has been successful picking up for Robert Jordan, though (4.5 stars at Amazon) and it took him about two years after Jordan's death to publish, with two more books to go. He hasn't perfectly mimicked Jordan's style, but it's pretty close. For what it's worth, I'd rather get 90% of the 'voice' and read how Jordan (or Martin) intended the series to end than let their stories go untold. Notes and unpublished material would probably make me happy as well.

I believe Martin has said his series dies with him, so if he doesn't finish it, no will. You'll never have to worry about reading a shitty SOIAF novel, unless Martin writes it himself :)
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message

I read a lot of SF/F forums, and I think the general complaint is that Martin does so much outside finishing Dance. He writes and edits other projects, he travels a lot for conventions and the like, he's been involved with the HBO production, he blogs about pro football, etc. He hasn't spent the last five years grinding away at finishing just the one book, which some people seem to think he should.

I don't begrudge Martin taking his time, though the wait is obviously no fun. If there was any one author I could speed up, it would be Patrick Rothfuss. He's be rewriting and revising the shit out of his series since 2002. If his writing wasn't so goddamn good, I might not mind so much, but fuck - that guy can tell a story!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV3RflsNxak"]Game Of Thrones Season 2: "Seven Devils" - YouTube[/ame]

Season2 is coming next month
  • slipsius
    YES!!! I cant wait for this.

ps. this trailer has talk about dragons. so i like it better

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66PDW1Mjf8"]Game Of Thrones Season 2: "Power And Grace" Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gsnRw4G_I"]The Simpsons "Game Of Thrones" Couch Gag - YouTube[/ame]
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    damnnn, April cant come soon enough.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The last 3 videos were so awesome. Cant wait for S2! S1 was one of the best TV shows I have seen.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I still need to watch the first few episodes to see if I like it, I watched 10 minutes of a random episode once.
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I want season 2 so badly! :3
  • Seirei
    How was this thread brought back from 2 years back? o0

None the less I'm realy exited to see what's happening next in the series, good thing the wait will soon be over!
  • slipsius
    Season one blurays are out today! wooo
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    oh man! this series is so damn good! i got season one and watched the whole thing in one weekend. can't wait for season 2...
    I WANNA SEE DRAGONS!!!!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my sister was one of the stunt riders for the filming they did in ireland :D
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Dragons!!! Can't wait for this season to kick off.

@ almighty_gir - that's frickin' cool!
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I just finished the second book a few weeks ago. This season is going to be a mix of boring and epic, all on one. All I know is, we get to see a lot of Tyrion, and that alone satisfies me! I'm curious to see how they spice up some of the boring parts though. I'm mainly taking about Theon. The show has been amazingly true to the books though, so who knows. Not saying anything else!
  • Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Hopefully we'll see as little of Theon as possible. Also it appears they're replacing Catelyn's parts talking about Robb with Robb's perspective, which would explain Jenye.