Home General Discussion

Beer

Replies

• [iWi]
    lol, I remembre some thread like this , there's 2 years ago.
    Here we go once more time -

My favorit is The real one & only one BUDWEISER (made by Czech rep. )-
    even better than Pilsner.

bud-czech-bottles.jpg

unknow but realy excelent RADEGAST - (Czech too ).

Btl_Radegast_Premium.jpg

stronger one but a good taste LEFFE (Belgium) - it's the exception 'cause
    the real beer do NOT have more than 6 % alcool. :poly142::poly142::poly142:
    but I like his flavour !

leffe.jpg

and few others ...
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    The best thing you'll ever put in your mouth -

• [iWi]
    it's me one more - here we go - LET'S GO CZECH !

monde-biere-consommation.png

1) Czech
    2) Ireland
    3) Germany & Australie

even if they go home after bad match against Finland ( Ice Hockey )
    ...they are winners ! :poly142::poly124::poly142:
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've been liking the Innis & Gunn recently!

beer_innis_gunn.png
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Guinness, strongbow cider, mikes hard limeade
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    The Blue Moon series: Blue Moon, Full Moon (winter), Rising Moon (spring), and Honey Moon (summer)

Love all beer but these are my favs.

Great White is also legit.
  • AdamB
    Matabus wrote: »
    ommegang%20three%20philosophers%20ale.jpg

I drink the shit out of this stuff.
    Anything brewed out of Ommegang is good stuff.

Watch out though, it will put you on your ass if you are used to the weak-sauce.
    Just got a 4 pack of this last weekend, not a fan of dark beer but damn that stuff was good! :thumbup:
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    But.. but.. I'm Adam B! OH NO.

How many of you actually POUR your beer in to a mug/stein when drinking or serving? For the last year this is how I've been enjoying my bottles of brew: Frozen beer mugs. It's just like being served at the pub and generally impresses my guests :D

Infact, I'm enjoying a Granville Island Winter Ale (one of my favourites) in my favourite Alexander Keith's mug (frozen) right now.

EDIT: PROOF!!
    beer_NOW.jpg
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Gav wrote: »
    The best thing you'll ever put in your mouth -

Are you finding this in Vancouver!? PM me from where - ASAP. I've had this once before and would looooooooooooooove to get my hands on some.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you crazy americans and your cold beer ;)

danr: I dunno man, I was in a pub once and a guy shambled up to the bar and shouted 'noocastle!' to the landlord. And he got his drink..
  • Rens
    <Has beer time out>

Awesome mug adam, +1!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    2625348212_54810f0216.jpg

Also like Spaten, Harp, Fat Tire, Buffalo Bill Pumpkin Ale (tasty!) the list is too big, really. I mean come on. What I've noticed over the years though is that while I love drinking beer, drinking quantities to get me drunk results in a hangover. I never get a hangover with spirits, though. Wish they were as easy to drink! :D
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    adam, message sent!

Oddly enough, I'm just getting it from the regular liquor stores in the West End. The one on Roboson / Denman has it in stock as well as some other goodies. Think you can get that and chimay there easily.

Gav
  • keizza
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    adam wrote: »
    I've been enjoying my bottles of brew: Frozen beer mugs.

I need to buy some cheese cloth or something to cover the top of my beer glasses while in the freezer. I guess it's the coolant or something, but they pick up a FUNKY ass flavor when I put them in there. The freezer is empty though, so it must be coolant =\
  • roB0T
    the best beer is a good pils from germany guys.
    1136932211-1646153577.jpg
  • AdamB
    But.. but.. I'm Adam B! OH NO.

How many of you actually POUR your beer in to a mug/stein when drinking or serving? For the last year this is how I've been enjoying my bottles of brew: Frozen beer mugs. It's just like being served at the pub and generally impresses my guests :D

oh hi adam,

I do, i have a nice set of beer glasses and i keep mugs in the freezer when i have friends coming over. I've never liked drinking from a bottle (no homo)
    Vassago wrote: »
    I need to buy some cheese cloth or something to cover the top of my beer glasses while in the freezer. I guess it's the coolant or something, but they pick up a FUNKY ass flavor when I put them in there. The freezer is empty though, so it must be coolant =

Have you tried putting some baking soda in your freezer?
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod

My Mom actually got me a case of these bad boys for xmas:
    2007_sam-adams-glass.jpg
    That's, typically, what I drink out of.

Also, the dollar store around me has these beasts for $1 ea:
    Clear-Glass-Beer-Stein-.jpg
    I throw those in the freezer for poker nights.

Classy.

edit:
    lee3dee wrote:
    ...mikes hard limeade
    Limeade?! Really?! You can't admit that on a public forum, lee!
    You and Megan can enjoy sipping on your fruity beverages together, bud! :P
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Tim Deneau wrote: »
    Leinenkugel

434319.jpg

LeinenKugel is absolutey my favorite beer of all time!

Combine Honeyweiss or Sunset Wheat 50/50 with Berryweiss for hands down the most refreshing beer ever created. I have converted many people who "cant stand beer!" with this drink.

When I'm in the mood for something heavier though (or when I'm at a pub) I do enjoy Maredsous, Warsteiner Dunkell, Guiness with Strongbow, Oak Aged Yetti (possibly just because of the name though..), and whatever they have on tap at the local Austrian restaurant.

Good standbys I can count on when nothing exceptional/fancy is available: bass, blue moon, harp, sapporo (gotta have with sushi), etc.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Nice Sam Adams glass! does other beer taste better with it too? In that case you could buy cheaper beer and save a buck....oh wait I'm onto something here!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I pour my beer into a glass but frozen mugs are way too cold to enjoy beer. If the beer is too cold it's just numbing your taste buds.

Brewers put in flavor AND aroma hops, so if you drink straight out of the bottle you are missing out on the aroma. I typically just drink out of a regular glass, I don't have any fancy stuff..... yet.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    justin's onto somethign here.. Ale (that is, Ale, lager is fine) is suppose to be cellar temperature. That is, cooler than room temperature, but warmer than a fridge. YUS
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Nice Sam Adams glass! does other beer taste better with it too? In that case you could buy cheaper beer and save a buck....oh wait I'm onto something here!

I'm not a big fan of Sam Adams, actually, but I dig the glasses. :)

rooster wrote: »
    justin's onto somethign here.. Ale (that is, Ale, lager is fine) is suppose to be cellar temperature. That is, cooler than room temperature, but warmer than a fridge. YUS

The best beer I've ever had was when I was in Wales. It was called Welsh Smooth, and it was served a little below room temp. SO damn good.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    that book I posted earlier in this thread has the original recipe for Sam Adam's Boston Lager, the recipe had to be changed in order to mass produce the beer. I'll have to give it a try when I'm more experienced.

I also learned an odd fact about Guinness from that book, they actually add a certain amount of spoiled Guinness back into the brew prior to bottling.
  • bbob
    All this beer talk made me thirsty, so I'm enjoying a nice cold, quite generic, Carlsberg pilsner..

carlsberg-lager.jpg
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the first time i visited america, i stumbled off a long uncomfortable flight into Boston, fought through a deeply annoying rush-hour tube ride into town replete with legions of standard city cunts and knackers, and fell into the first bar i came across. There on the bar in front of me, gleaming like a green and beige beacon of hope and happiness, is a Tim taylor's Landord label (turns out to be attached to a tap rather than a pump, but hey you can't have everything right?) ... anyway ... pint or whatever you call it over here of that please, Mr Man

fucker goes to the freezer . Pulls out a frosted pint glass. Into this he pours most of a pint of one of my favourite beers ... replete with icicles and a gang of braying huskies. Fuck my bollocks, it may as well have been a pint of Bud Light or (shudde) kronenburg 1664 for all i could taste it. 12 hours harrassed travelling may as well be the same as being half drunk, so i let the poor bloke know what i thought of his beer. Sorry, not HIS beer, MY beer. That it was a total evil travesty.

Don't get me wrong here - i LOVE american bars, and i LOVE american beer. Honestly. I think it's genuinely good (outside of the usual mass-produced muck that you get everywhere)

but, really - if you're going to import something, serve it with some bloody respect, yes?
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    do... danes like carlsberg? I thought it was like australians and fosters (strong contempt?)
  • bbob
    We are a bunch of uncultured huns when it comes to louting lager. So yeah, pretty much Carlsberg or Tuborg is what people drink here. Although I personally prefer something with a bit more taste, there just happened to be a solitary Carlsberg in the fridge. Urquell is still my favorite :P
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    wtf it wrong with you guys. 4 pages, and no mention of old E???

usa-miller-olde-english-800.jpg

also- they dont sell outside of wisconsin, but spotted cow is pretty much the perfect beer.
    new-glarus-spotted-cow-2519.jpg

awsome for session drinking, AND awesome for taste drinking. -hands down best of both worlds.

awesome expensive beers:
    -anything from new Belgium *im looking at you Fat tTire*
    -Avery has a killer wheat beer known as White Rascal
    -Spaten- "the Optimator" said in an Austrian accent.
    -Sprecher- Back Bavarian. I`m not a huge fan of dark beers, but this shit is delicious.
    -Flying Dog- Gonzo Porter. yet another dark beer, but again. shit is tasty. and how could you go wrong with ralph steadman rockin the label art:
    GonzoImperialPorter_LabelArt.jpg

awesome cheap beers.
    high life.
    shlitzs. (no longer terrible!)
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what.. the hell is that? 40 ounces of malt liquor? english?
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    rooster, don't even begin to question it ... this is a country that uses "entr
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    hell yeah- for the most part flying dog isnt anything to write home about- but having Hunter s Thompson's right hand man as a marketing gimmic is pretty bad ass for a beer company.

rooster-? you mean to say they dont have 40oz`s in the UK? Your not missing much. lol.
    These were a lot of fun late highschool/early college. But i wouldnt endorese them past that unless your a hobo :P)
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    - Stella Artois
    - kronenbourg 1664
    - Estrella Damm
    - Karl Strauss 'Red Trolley'
    - Lost Coast 'Great White', and 'Downtown Brown'
    - New Castle
    - Stone 'IPA'
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    rooster-? you mean to say they dont have 40oz`s in the UK? Your not missing much. lol.
    These were a lot of fun late highschool/early college. But i wouldnt endorese them past that unless your a hobo :P)

Yeah, it's hobo beer. I thought I saw Chavs drinking some kind of beer that was sold in 2 litre bottles with zany soda-looking lables on them?
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    JM - that'd be some kind of cheap tramp cider. Beer isn't sold in anything more than 600ml. Apart from that fucking ace 1.5l Grolsch bottle they used to do a few years back ... that was great, what happened to that. Perfect size for a ninety minute film

edit - oh, and there's the one litre San Miguel (spit, retch) bottle ... haven't seen that for a while though.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MORE BEER.

I picked up 4 different kinds of Dead Frog today, just in time for the Canadian semi-finals. BOOYA.

beer.jpg
  • bbob
    Nice subtle pimp of the new polycount there.. looks good :P
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    adam, you suck balls
    stop pimping the future site ya damn bastard
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I don't know what you're talking about, sorry.
  • carlo_c
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • GregStrangis
    Lol the new site looks great! Don't remember trying Dead frog when I was living in Van. Gotta give it a go next time I am up there.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Belgium Beers > all the rest :p

You should try Chimay Bleu, Orval, Duvel, Leffe, Jupiler, Tripel Karmeliet, Delirium Tremens, chouffe and Tauro just to name a few !
  • AdamB
    Firebert wrote: »
    adam, you suck balls
    Say what?

:poly128:
  • beartraps
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Rogue Dead Guy and Hazelnut, Youngs Double Chocolate is damn tasty as well.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    American.

-Fat tire
    -Flying dog
    - Most microbrewed beers are good.In fact i meet many non Americans who think American microbreweries make the best beers in the world

Ireland
    -Killkenny

UK
    -Most pub ales,loved the sheer selection of ales to be found all over the UK
    -Newcastle
    - Monty Python's Holy Gr Ale (Yes it exsist and its quite good)

Danish

- Mikkeler
    -Tuborg, better than Carlsberg imo :)
    -AF Ale 16 One of my all time favorites
    - Carlsberg Elephant for Swastika elephant high alcohol percentage beer for the win.
    -Albani if im really broke :P

German

So far im trying more and more but early on i like

-Kostrizer Schwartzbier

-Augustiner braeu Munchen

Dutch

Groslch

im sick and tired of heinekens
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    for the record, Kilkenny is irish
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Augustiner is great! especially when you drink it from the bavarian 1 liter mugs :)

What I really miss is good bitters. very hard to get outside the UK. I only seem to be able to find ales and stouts but no bitter

If you like south-german / austrian beers here's a tip: try eastern swiss beers. They're very similar in style and very tasty!
  • bbob
    JO420 wrote: »
    -Tuborg, better than Carlsberg imo :)

lol, its the same thing, Carlsberg have owned Tuborg for quite a while now. I am even pretty sure its all brewed and bottled in the same factory.

Oh and the swastika was removed in the 1930'ies because of the new affiliation it got with politics at the time. It's still on the old elephants holding the arch of the gate into the old brewery, but heck, those are still art, amirite?
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I tried some Gulden Draak tonight, I was able to find it at my usual liquor store (basic BC Liquor Store in New West which seems to have a better selection than the rest). At first I thought it wasn't there but then I found it, a few bottles left on the top shelf around a corner!

Gav, Adam, great recommendation, I enjoyed it a lot. I will have to pick up some more of this!

I only had a bottle or two of the Gulden Draak and a 6 pack of kronenbourg. good stuff. I also tried Carlsberg for the first time which seemed good, but I don't know if my taste test on that was biased by previous drinks.

This post may be incoherent as a result.:)