Home General Discussion

Beer

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    bought some Pilsner Urquell and was sorely disappointed, tastes like Stella Artois. It's very light on hops characteristic. I had a Czech Pilsner from a brewpub in VA (where the DC IGDA has been meeting) and it had a really great spicy hops flavor that I've come to expect from a Czech Pilsner.

"The Czech Pilsner, or sometimes known as the Bohemian Pilsner, is light straw to golden color and crystal clear. Hops are very prevalent usually with a spicy bitterness and or a spicy floral flavor and aroma, notably one of the defining characteristics of the Saaz hop. Smooth and crisp with a clean malty palate, many are grassy. Some of the originals will show some archaic yeast characteristics similar to very mild buttery or fusel (rose like alcohol) flavors and aromas."

I've heard people complain that it's a shadow of it's formal self due to becoming a mass produced beer.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    one thing to note about foreign beers is that their export version doesn't necessarily have to taste like the local stuff. Usually the reason is difference of regulations about foodstuffs between countries. For a long time Austrian export beers used to be total crap due to this :(
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    my fav non mainstream beers:

Racer5 IPA
    Arrogant bastard Ale
    Chimay
    Allagash White (omg so good)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Coming from a family that has strong Bavarian roots, I really love my beers, but whenever I talk about my fancy beers aged in Wine Casks and what not, my mother mocks me and tells me beer shouldn't have that crap in it. But whatever.

Usually I just drink Yuengling, it tastes good, and is almost as cheap as bottled water at the bar I frequent. Probably because the brewery is an hour away.

I'm usually fond of most IPAs like Yards, Flying Fish, but mostly Dogfish head ( which I see other people also enjoy, for good reason). I also try any local micro brew I can, because I would like to start micro brewing once I get a place with a back yard or basement.

Occasionally I splurge on the more expensive 22 oz dogfish head brews like Red & White, Midas Touch and Palo Santo Marron. All of which are conveniently in stock at a little deli up the street from my apartment.

Other brews I have really taken a liking to are:

Bell's Pale Ale
    Voodoo Black Magick stout
    Rogue's Double Dead Guy Ale
    Ommegang's Rare Vos
    Twin Lakes Tweeds Tavern Stout (If I can find it)
    Lancaster Milk stout
    Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale and their Slam Dunkle

Alot of the beers on my list are PA brews so they're much easier for me to find, but I would still recommend you to try them if you get a chance.