Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Polycounter and backface culling question

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
Hi everyone!
The polycounter in 3DS Max is a great tool, but it counts every polygon/triangle in the scene (or in your selection).
However, I would need to count only the drawn polygons and not the back-culled ones. Usually I consider them being about 2/3 of the total polycount, but it's never a precise value.
Does there exist some plugin or some option that can do this? It will be really useful for low-poly modeling.
Thanks everyone!

PS: I use 3DS Max 2008.

Replies

• Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I actually would like to find a fast way to do this too for working on low poly levels.

In the meantime, you could go into the statistics display and tell it to show total + selection. Then select all of the objects as a whole and put an edit poly modifier on it, turn on ignore backfaces and select everything on screen that you see using the rectangle selection tool. This isn't ideal but it should help you out for now.

EDIT: I haven't tried this yet but it seems similar to what you're looking for.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs2/cfc/
  • rumblesushi
    Very good question. I'd find this useful too, with a polygon budget of around 2000 per frame at 60 fps.

Max seems excellent, though one annoying thing is the polycount switching between quad and triangle count whether or not you're in edit mesh/edit poly etc. I'd like it if you could stick to only triangle count.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445, maybe your solution is the best way to solve this issue (even if a bit rough, hehe). Anyway the script you linked does exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't open it in Max 2008, I suppose it's way too old (and it's also enrcypted). I'm still searching other scripts, hope we find something useful. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Very good question. I'd find this useful too, with a polygon budget of around 2000 per frame at 60 fps.

Max seems excellent, though one annoying thing is the polycount switching between quad and triangle count whether or not you're in edit mesh/edit poly etc. I'd like it if you could stick to only triangle count.
    You can change the stats to display triangles only instead of polygons. Right click the viewport lable and choose "configure" click the statistics tab and set the options you want. I normally have this set to polys & tris along with Total + Selection.

Polyboost/graphite modeling tools also has "select by perspective" which is a really easy way to count how many tris are facing the camera. It also gives you a angle option so you can dial it up and down which is a little more handy than just turning on ignore back faces.
  • rumblesushi
    Vig - thanks man. Excuse my ignorance, I've literally been using Max for 2 days, with no modelling experience.

Couple of other questions - the best way of actually working with triangles would be conversion > turn to poly, limit to 3, then right click, convert to editable poly right?

Also is there no way to save your viewport preferences? I need to keep changing the statistics and display selected with edged faces.

I've tried save UI/lockUI etc, but it reverts back to normal every time I boot Max up.

It's not a huge deal, just a minor niggle, but it would be helpful if I could save those preferences, rather than reactivating them every time.

Cheers.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea no problem they like to hide the super useful features.
    ahh autodesk... /head shake
    Couple of other questions - the best way of actually working with triangles would be conversion > turn to poly, limit to 3, then right click, convert to editable poly right?
    That's one way to do it. I normally work in quads and if I need to adjust hidden edges I use "Edit Tri", "Turn" or I use polyboost's Edit/Turn features.
    Also is there no way to save your viewport preferences? I need to keep changing the statistics and display selected with edged faces.

I've tried save UI/lockUI etc, but it reverts back to normal every time I boot Max up.
    Once you get your default scene set up the way you like it save it as "maxstart.max" to your 3dsmax scenes folder. It will load this file each time you start max. Yea it would be nice if they actually made a note of this somewhere officially... in an easy to find spot.

It should default to this folder if you've just opened max. It can be a bit tricky to find the "scenes" folder as its location is dependent on what version of max and what version of windows you're using. Hopefully it will take you right there if you go to save.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that makes me "ahh autodesk /head shake" (haha great) is the fact that 3DS doesn't memorize the right folder for every kind of asset you are loading. Strange. It did before I formatted my pc... -_-
    Too lazy to check why.

Anyway, I managed to download PolyBoost, it seems a very powerful tool. Too bad it's a trial version!
    Still I can't find that "Select by Perspective" button you said, where is it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Its been a while since I used the old UI but I think its under selection > Perspective Select or PersSel or something similar. I think was added to 4.0 (maybe a 3.0 update?) right before it was included in 2010 so older versions might not have it.

Polyboost was included in Max2010 they decided to call it Graphite modeling tools but its packed full of the same great features. The new UI takes some getting used to if you switch over from the old polyboost UI but the new version might be easier to learn since it has a lot of little pop-up help if you hover over the button. The new UI is a little laggy and could be optimized, hopefully they'll take care of that in newer releases. Same great tools though.

Another set of tools for max is Illusion Catalyst (created by our very own SyncViewS).

Also another great set of scripts comes from Neil Blevins I especially like his object and spline painter scripts.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, i'm a huge fan of the soulburn scripts by Neil Blevins. Thanks to Vig for referring those to me. Highly recommended.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Really interesting, that collection is huge. I'm going to download it, it will be really useful.
    And about Graphite, I checked out it in Max 2010, but I didn't knew it's the same as PolyBoost. Unfortunately Max 2010 is very slow (at least on my previous pc, I changed it a month ago), and I'm still using the 2008 version.
  • rumblesushi
    Vig wrote: »
    Yea no problem they like to hide the super useful features.

That's one way to do it. I normally work in quads and if I need to adjust hidden edges I use "Edit Tri", "Turn" or I use polyboost's Edit/Turn features.

Once you get your default scene set up the way you like it save it as "maxstart.max" to your 3dsmax scenes folder. It will load this file each time you start max. Yea it would be nice if they actually made a note of this somewhere officially... in an easy to find spot.

It should default to this folder if you've just opened max. It can be a bit tricky to find the "scenes" folder as its location is dependent on what version of max and what version of windows you're using. Hopefully it will take you right there if you go to save.

Thanks again Vig.

It is strange yep, that a program as powerful and complex as Max, some of the simplest stuff is the least obvious, or least logical ;)