[SDK] - Goblin!

Replies

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Wowzers!
    Awesome Goblin MoP :D
    This thread is fantastic...nice work everyone!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    another WIP :)
    need to:
    -get rid of the obvious mirroring on the chin
    -paint the arms (just a blockin for now)
    -paint everything else ;)
    -revisit the eye texture
    -recieve and incorporate all the new crits that i'm hopefully going to get now ;).

goblinwip02.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who've never tried this, a few tips for getting a nice base to paint over:
    use layers set to overlay with the blend stuff (double-click a layer, the sliders on the bottom), one for shadows and one for highlights. This way you can quickly get a shadow-colour and a highlight colour going in your ambient-bake.
    Use a gradient material-type in max and render-to-texture to get nice masks for colour-gradients. Having a colour-gradient go up the legs and from hands to shoulders for instance, really makes things pop.
    I always save these masks as layers in a hidden folder in my psd, so I can grab them again later if I need them)
    I also vote against the black/white dodge/burn way of working, by the way. As Mop mentioned, in the end I never found it to be faster, and I found myself working against it quite a lot. I do start with a black on white linesketch sometimes, though, if there are a lot of folds/tech/wrinkles.

Really nice stuff so far, from everyone.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Some really great work on these guys.
    I'm starting my own. I think I might make him all icy.
    Goblin_WIP1.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    whoo!.. downloaded.. hopefully get to the paint work soon!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Started on the sword. Im pretty happy about the look of the blade and handle but the bottom..meh.
    goblinswordrender01.jpg?t=1265917047
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    regarding workflow, i go full color, mop already hit on this, i personally hate the black and white overlay look, and not big into painting things twice.

for this piece, i actually took it into zbrush and just divided 6 times with smooth off, and polypainted that. i really like painting in zbrush, using shift to blend, access to alphas and texture painting, i think it has a nice feel. from there you just export the texture.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I've done a lot of painting trying a lot of different techniques. Each workflow has its benefits, but I have felt that working in gray scale first can hurt if you don't use overlay layers properly. It does take a bit longer to "repaint" everything after doing it in gray scale.

If you're in a time crunch then do what's fastest, but if not, it won't hurt to test out different methods :)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Getting in on the action while its hot. :)
    Taking him in a different direction than a standard goblin, and I may add in some geo later to help my idea really pop. :)
    Goblin_Feathers.jpg
  • neosorcerer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neosorcerer polycounter lvl 10
    That's cool Valias, I love to see something a little more unique.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mah first WIP. This is the first time I've ever tried painting in 3D... using Photoshop's 3D painting. It's really clunky, but I think in another version or two of Photoshop it will be great. Tried using BodyPaint for about an hour or two and had a difficult time getting over the interface.

hai_goblinWIP01.jpg

hai_goblinWIP01b.jpg

hai_goblinTextureWIP01.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The circular shape of the iris/pupil seems distorted. I'm liking the detail so part though, keep up the good work.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vailias: I worked on a tucan texture for 15 minutes, and then decided that the model was too defined to make something like that work ;). You did a great job though!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I was waiting for someone to try something a little different! Interesting idea, Vailias... I thought about some ways of re-using the mesh in totally different ways but didn't think of that one :)

Haiasi: Nice start, good sharp texture there, and I like the blues in the shadows.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir: I was worried it wouldn't work at first, but then I just painted on through and rolled with it. I figured if this is to be presented in a unlit diffuse format my major constraint is silhouette, so feathering should actually work, plus I'll add in some strategically placed and textured alpha planes once the main texture is done and can make this guy really birdlike.

Mop: Glad to be original. :) I love doing that with SDK's. Try and take it in a wierd or at least unexpected direction. Not always successful.
    Also more progress:
    Goblin_Feathers_2.jpg

Taking a break for now, have other assets to build and need a change of pace. However I have been recoding this texturing progress, both as a support/addition to those photoshop tutorials I posted, and as ye olde workflow review.
    Links for the interested:
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Too bad youtube has time limits or I could just embed them here.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias: How did you hide other parts of the goblin in Photoshop? It's a pain in the ass trying to paint his arms when the shield is in the way :p
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    can't you select only that area on the texture sheet then go to the model and it'll only post that part?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haiasi: I broke up the OBJ mop supplied into separate objects by element in 3ds max first, then re exported as a .3ds

Photoshop respects each separate object in a single 3ds file as its own mesh in the 3d layer. You can then turn them on and off with a visibility box just like you find in 2d layers. :)
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    There is some very interesting work in here, very good work. But, the version that Tully made is such an inspiration! Are you almost done Tully? I can't wait!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely work guys, maybe we should have more amazing SDK threads like this. Like the good old days.. that I never experienced.. right?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks Vailias. I will do that :)!
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Very nice work in here! :)

Cybroxide, that looks promising. An ice version would be very interesting.

Tully's is my favorite so far, great style. Did you use angular brushes for a base? The texture feels very painterly, yet seems almost tangible. Great choice of colors, too.

Thanks for the SDK, MoP! I like the pictsie. :)

Did just the face. I might continue, but quite honestly I'm probably to lazy for that. ;)
    2048er resolution right now.

Noren_MoP-SDK.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There needs to be a whole game based off that character!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Noren, oh my! His nose is so... big.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Noren wrote: »

Tully's is my favorite so far, great style. Did you use angular brushes for a base? The texture feels very painterly, yet seems almost tangible. Great choice of colors, too.

Did just the face. I might continue, but quite honestly I'm probably to lazy for that. ;)

Noren_MoP-SDK.jpg

At first I was like... what's that thing on his nose? ... oh,... OHHH!

oh my! So good!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaha! How would it work with the holes being on the bottom??
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get the paint a lot of organics at work, so this is a nice release. Quickly break here, might finish up
    gobbo3.jpg
    ninja update
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Lol nice nose.:P
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i didn't even see the nose when i first looked at it ;). how did you add the watery eye?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    obXIXGClJ.jpg

Here is my progress so far, I'm not used to hand-painting textures at all. My 2d-skills suck, but I've spent some time getting some stuff right at least.
  • FirstKeeper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon - oh, that nose reminded me of another part of the body too:) Dirty girls :)
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Haha, that would cross the line between a cheap joke and being really gross in my book. :D
    But feel free to try it yourself. ;)

@chrisradsby: That is coming along very nicely. Perhaps a bit more specular on the skin if you didn't plan that for a later pass?

@Japhir: I paintet it into the texture of the eyes, wouldn't really work if they were animated. (Same goes for the strong light on the back of his head. )
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noren Well I've just focused on the head, I'll soon start filling the rest of the things with basecolors. I guess everyones just going with a diffusemap for this one right?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    noren: put more wetness.... not in the eye......
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lmao, epic goblin right there
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I imported the 3DS file into Photoshop, I noticed that it didn't retain smoothing groups. There are hard and soft edges in weird places. I checked your video and saw that you had the same issue.

Anyone know how to get around this?

Edit: I just separated the pieces and exported multiple OBJs and brought them in as different "3D layers." That allows me to paint with some objects hidden while eliminating the faceting issue of the 3DS file.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    @ shotgun: Let´s pretend he is circumcised. ;)

@ chrisradsby: Sorry, what I meant was to paint more highlights into the diffuse not a separate specular map.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noren Oh alright, yeah I'll probably do that since it's always more things to do. Thanks for the tip!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Noren wrote: »

Noren_MoP-SDK.jpg

This needs to drive the penis tank!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More like, the crazy mechanic doing maintenance on the penis tank, however disturbing that may sound.

Always a goblin there, keeping it ready to shoot O.o
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    haha noren , the expression really fits the character.

I dont really have much time to spend on mine, so I think I'll consider it done for now
    1024x768 tex:
    goblin_wip_02.png

Had fun working with your model MoP.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haiasi wrote: »
    When I imported the 3DS file into Photoshop, I noticed that it didn't retain smoothing groups. There are hard and soft edges in weird places. I checked your video and saw that you had the same issue.

Anyone know how to get around this?

Edit: I just separated the pieces and exported multiple OBJs and brought them in as different "3D layers." That allows me to paint with some objects hidden while eliminating the faceting issue of the 3DS file.

That works, I just deal with it/dont notice enough to care. :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    walknTalknMonkey: Nice one! I really like the design you are going for there - very evil and gothy. It'd be cool to see it really polished up when you get some more free time :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    gob_wip01.jpg

messin around, havin some fun. Was failing miserably at his face, decided to try somethin else to warm back up. I'm so spoiled from normal maps :( been soo soo sooooo long, out of shape!! ahhhh. Would like to finish this guy, hopefully it doesnt take me 10 years.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lovely work moose, if u just post this and never take it anywhere u suck
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Wow great thread! Thanks Mop, figured I'd get in the mix, def a wip.

It's good to be back. :)

wipm.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    slow & steady, starting to pick up steam again! Ill finish it shotty!

gob_wip02.jpg

decided to simplify stuff some, was too busy where it didnt need to be.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyea!

arg, but u've covered the shoulder face. it was so cool
    it'll be interesting watching u color this. didnt u use to work full-color?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah i did.... its been so long though i keep failing and was getting discouraged :(

Plan is now: flesh out values, work in the colors, then go over it all with color again flat (work more variation in, shifts, brush strokes etc). Already about 1/2 way done on the torso, having fun now, cookin with gasoline! ararararrararr

Ill try to work the face shoulder back in, maybe on the asymmetrical bit - makes mo' sense there.