Home General Discussion

The degree poll!

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    and if you live outside the US chances are you pay wayyyyy less for school.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BA Computer Animation and got a job in the games industry straight after i left uni. Now working in television/print
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who the heck would work for free for real titles? Thats worse than working at starbucks and doing modwork on the side..
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    i dont have degree but i have college certificate and diploma
    does that count?
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    I went to a regular 4 year state university and got a BFA degree with an emphasis in "electronic media."
  • solytaire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BA in Multimedia Design..Minor - Animation...+ 2 year online animation school..

graduated from University 3 years ago...graduated from the online deal 7 months ago..

couple of graphic design gigs that I got laid off from...

Submitted my demo reel to every company within relocating distance. Still havent found another gig...biggest waste of money and work Ive ever gotten myself into debt for. If I had to do it again I'd skip the college altogether or just go for an associates or some other two year bid. Fully regret my education and starting to realize that the game & cg industry is 95% about who you know. Oh well, whats done is done..maybe I can get on at Pizza Hut.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    5th year of Medical School and so far got a few gameart freelance jobs, mostly during my summer vacations...
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    There is a problem with this poll.

I have several qualifications but none of them are degrees. I'd suggest that people get a qualification but it doesn't have to be a degree.

You are unlikely to be relocated to another country for a junior position so a degree isn't that useful since you can usually count your experience as being part of a degree anyway.

But a qualification is useful. Especially for art history and theory.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he made it because a "should I go to school" thread pops up about twice a month.

My opinion, for the money you fork out, it isn't worth it. $10,000 for a 3 year degree would be alot easier for me to justify than the current $80,000 ones.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skayne wrote: »
    I agree that with hardwork you can definitely break into the industry but without a diploma or a lot of previous game industry experience some people will think twice before considering you. Plus having a degree can help if you seek a job outside of the game industry.
    You make it sound like going to get a degree will be less work? It's going to take a lot of drive, talent and hard work either way. Without that drive, school will be a failure. You'll have accrued debt or wasted your parents money.

Now of course certain degrees look more enticing to employers and governments and in some cases people should get them. But please don't play it up like its going to be an easy ride. It can easily make things worse having to pay for school and try to sustain yourself.

Also you have to factor in that doing the class work won't nessiesarily fill out the portfolio with quality. It's normally the 1st or 2nd time you've done those specific tasks and unless your amazing (then you don't need schooling do ya?) it will be the work you put in after you leave school or during non-school hours that fills out the portfolio. If thats the case then working 1-2 PT jobs while going to school could hamper your efforts to get a quality portfolio together.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So without a BA your screwed if you wanna work in the US?

Cause the college I went to, that taught 3D, was formally a web integrator degree. Although I'll be getting a digital animation degree after my internship is done.

My chances of sometime working in the US are shite, aren't they?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    bbob wrote: »
    So without a BA your screwed if you wanna work in the US?

Cause the college I went to, that taught 3D, was formally a web integrator degree. Although I'll be getting a digital animation degree after my internship is done.

My chances of sometime working in the US are shite, aren't they?

The chances of being relocated for a junior role are always terrible. People with zero experience aren't hard to find.

But to work in the USA you just need experience or fame to replace the education. If you have 12+ years of experience you can qualify for a US visa. If you have created a famous game in a important role you can get a US visa.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My degree has always been a red flag in non-gaming jobs, I think it sends the message that I'm just applying there until something better comes along.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My degree has always been a red flag in non-gaming jobs, I think it sends the message that I'm just applying there until something better comes along.

I've always heard your not suppose to put your degree in your resume when applying to unrelated jobs for that reason.