Home General Discussion

Alien vs Predator demo comes out tomorrow!

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Because they build the game with dx11 as an extension to it, not as the basis for it..

If you build a game around dx11 features, you'll have a harder time making it look and perform good using older shader techniques. Now this is if you base the whole style and visuals of the game around it, like games do these days when they have a required shader model 2.0 or 3.0.

for now it just seems like a slapon dx11.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    the demo is an early code build in dx9, no 10, 10.1 or 11 support until the game ships
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Eld: I see what you're saying and it makes sense to me. I'm sure games in a couple years will be utilizing DX11 to the fullest and they'll be gorgeous.

Kite: We know.

I think you'll have to be somewhat conservative with this feature. Watching the dragon part a couple times through it's weird to have the spikes grow outwards as you get closer.

This demonstration is more for the sake of showing off the capabilities DX11 has, but actually using that much displacement in real-time would just give a very strange visual effect.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hope they coded it to support older machines or they will flop like many other games, like doom 3 in terms of sales. these games would have made more money otherwise. I saw the trailor for this game on tv and it looks great, it made me want to go buy it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    "older machines" is a very loose term :P

I had to pull it down to low on the fancy effects, like shadows and post processing, but generally the game still looked quite okay and sharp, and it gave me the 60fps I needed to have fun in multiplayer.

Still, it makes me think that its finally time to upgrade my 8800gts.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I found anything other than the Marine's default machinegun to be useless. Especially the shotgun, wtf, 5-8 hits close range and that Alien still got me.
    As a Predator I was much more dangerous, without even using the instakill grab moves. But then it disconnected me...
    Has potential but needs polish, since it was still fun.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I refuse to play this until my copy arrives... That's why i hate demos. nowadays, it's easier to hate the game after you play a demo than the other way around.
    it's not like it used to be back in the PS1 days, demos nowadays are old builds, full of bugs, and whatnot.

no ty
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sage wrote: »
    I hope they coded it to support older machines or they will flop like many other games, like doom 3 in terms of sales.

You know Doom 3 sold over 3.5 million copies (PC 2.2m, XBox 1.3m), right? That's not a "flop" by anyone's yardstick...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I dont really get this "older machines" with the way things have been going lately. I'm still surprised my 1.8ghz c2d/2gb ram/8800 runs what it does - MW2 @ 1920x1200 pretty much maxed out aside for AA in singleplayer with no dramatic or gameplay hindering slowdown. I'd say thats more than a decent extent longevity wise.

I for one look forward to seeing games that start really making use of all this monster PC tech thats floating around.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    5.75 from game informer, ouch...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    I for one look forward to seeing games that start really making use of all this monster PC tech thats floating around.

On one hand me too, but realistically I'm just glad that for once my 2 year old components can still run the newest games flawlessly on the highest settings. A few years back having a 2 year old PC meant 800x600 and low/medium settings.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18

Its strange... Everybody I've spoke to can't speak highly of it enough........ On console. SEriously, everybody reckons its pretty damn good.

But 99% of people I speak to about the PC version can't stand it...

Kinda tells you something...
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

actually read the review, its pathetic. It makes no legit statements the guy makes a total ass of himself

Im a pc guy, im in the middle, i think the demo being dx9 hurt ALOT. And it still feels like a console port especially with teh match making. But real game will have dedi servers
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    When I learned how to actually control the pc version it is quite fun, like getting a great mouselook framerate after fiddling with settings, and learning how clunky movement is nowdays, which is actually more linked to the movement of the head of the character, rather than the regular hoverboard style cameras in most fps's.

It does feel like it inherits console based gameplay, but when you get into it, its quite good.

But then again, I mostly play as alien and eat brains.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    But then again, I mostly play as alien and eat brains.

Here here!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    ALIENS DONT EAT BRAINS GOD DAMN IT GET WITH THE PROGRAM JESUS...

Sorry I saw a few odd posts on the steam forums today, one of which was some guy moaning that the wrist blades of the predator were not correct relating to the predators age and clan status and tha........ ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.......

GEEEEEEEKS.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never felt so pumped for something and then so let down. It was as big of a let down i fell as the movies. at least we still have avp gold and the old capcom arcade games.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yes Mop I bought it. LOL But you couldn't run it on the highest settings on most machines of the time when it came out. HL2 did run fine on old hardware however. I put doom 3 in there because it was the first time I noticed you really needed a beefy machine to get the most out of the game. Since then a lot of developers have been saying their games don't sell well on PC....
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really want to get a DX11 card, I still got my 9800GT. I'm waiting for Nvidia to launch their next line of cards and the prices to go down.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That'll be a while. I just built a new computer a couple months ago and got myself a nice GTX275. I'm assuming Nvidia's DX11 cards are going to require a newer line of PCI Express, meaning a new motherboard.... meaning a new everything.

I don't want to buy another new computer D:
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I had a good game. Two marines against a good predator. He would taunt and toy with us. You'd hear blips on your motions sensor and they'd stop or see brief shimmers of his cloak. Then you'd end up with knives sticking out of your chest, or dead some other way. Freaked me out.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a 1v1 game with me as alien versus 1 marine. It was intense for me as well, because he only had to track one thing on his motion tracker, so I had to be resourceful to even get close to him.

I am expecting the real game to be a blast.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    had a 1vs1 with a marine once, while I was alien, this game can be intense, he had to walk slowly, constantly scanning the walls, motiontracker going as I sat still far away up in the hive wall, he probably had infravision on too.

he turns his back on me, BOOM, drop down with a squishy alien sound, run into him and grab him from behind, proceeds with grabbing his head and ripping it off with my longfingered alien hand..

can't wait to try out the other and better game modes!

edit: Haiasi, woah, great minds think alike.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    been sitting here waiting 10 minutes to find a game on psn.. bah I hate multiplayer only demos :(
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks they never fixed that on PSN :(

PC demos got patched the night of release and no longer take forever to find games. It can still take a couple minutes, but not the ridiculous 10 to 15 it used to.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    That's what I loved the most about avp, the different ways you could play to frag your enemy. its was real fun.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    First time i booted up the demo i was in the same camp as most people are, i thought it sucked. After playing as an alien in a few lag free games though i've kinda got used to the retarded rock/paper/scissors melee combat thing, and now i've figured out some surefire ways to kill people im actually starting to find it quite addictive.

That being said it still needs a lot of work before i'd part with cash to play it, and it's not even close to matching the old ones in terms of combat fluidity. One of the things i miss the most is being able to score a headshot as an alien and headbite someone to regain some health on the fly. Grabbing em and doing a retarded animation leaves you completely vulnerable and with an alien's low hp it's tantamount to suicide. Doesn't even heal you.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but they really went for the "kill loners" aspect of aliens. Only try the instant kill moves if a guy is alone, since its bound to end up a kongoline otherwise.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cursor lag, seemingly can't choose what race I play, waiting for a game to start takes ages... I'm not terribly impressed so far. I also would've vastly preferred a single-player demo over this.

As it stands, this is more of a deterrent than a good demo.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Doing the grab kills is definitely a sure fire way to get yourself owned. If not full immunity to attacks they should at least give you grab immunity while you're locked into it, its retarded how you can get a conga line of like 4-5 people sometimes.

Tried out the other classes today and they are pretty fun once you have the basics down. Predators are totally OP in the right hands, first round as one and i destroyed my best score as an alien. They can move almost as fast as aliens can with the leaps they can do and their sprint isnt half bad either. Definitely the kings of melee.

Marines are actually quite good but slow as hell, but i think that's fair. The pulse rifle sure packs some kick if you can shoot straight, downs aliens or preds in seconds. The smart gun is nice in this one too, gives the targets an aura like the aliens see which really helps in dark areas.

It's really growing on me, but it's hard to look past the dodgy UI, bad lag and annoying people on microphones. If they polish it up then i'd definitely buy it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I believe they have to have hold-aborts because of team-deathmatches too, so that teammates can kill the grabber before he manages to kill the grabee.

Btw, I've seen people push off my holds sometimes, how do you do that?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe block?

Dunno.
  • ez_jamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I believe they have to have hold-aborts because of team-deathmatches too, so that teammates can kill the grabber before he manages to kill the grabee.

Btw, I've seen people push off my holds sometimes, how do you do that?

Mash E!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I think it's something to do with the face to face holds and how much HP they have left. Most of the time if you go straight for the front grab after you counter someone they'll probably break it somehow, but if you beat em up a bit first it doesn't seem to happen.

Also, yeah. just mash all the buttons if you get grabbed, you never know :p
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I'm starting to warm up to this demo, now. Since they seem to have sort of fixed the connection/disconnection bugs, I've had a couple of games playing as the alien.

Visuals could be a whole bunch better. Is Rebellion still using Lithtech?

Needs more vents! Needs less motion blur. Needs a crouch function.

Any one know what the alien's focus button does? Anyone know what interacting with the power terminal thing does?
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I just watched a Close Combat Video on Gametrailers...am I seeing this correctly that a Marine can block an Alien's or Predator's light Melee Attack? ...a Marine cought in Close Combat with either an Alien or a Predator should be InstaGib...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    glynn: i think if you're a predator you can suck power from it? not totally sure
    edit: piflik, that could be something to do with the 'racial balancing' thing someone mentioned
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Wasn't MP footage, but some promo stuff...here...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    errrr, ummm, yeah it does look like a marine pistol whips the alien and then uses his gloved fist to deflect the predators blades. wtf indeed
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just block. Marine can block (holding the melee button on PC), then counter with a melee hit (tap melee button). When they're stunned, shoot them.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    well I loved the original avp game. :D
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    This item is currently unavailable in your region. Living in Germany suck sometimes :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    :(, must be from all the lovemaking the alien makes with his tail, too rough for germany.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I played 3 times, and then uninstalled the demo. . .
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yeh, uninstalled after 5 minutes, laughed. Later we said we would give it another chance, played for 20 minutes (even managed to get everyone elses mics turned off), uninstalled again. Its the worst demo I have ever played.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried it twice yesterday.

First time wasn't that bad. I got a few kills as alien. On next match I tried pred and figured out how to use the pulserifle - ownage. 'Cept I killed myself along with my target a few times. :p

After an our or two I tried again, and even though we had a nice species distribution some alien motherfU thought he was clever killing other aliens. This is how it went:

1) I spot target.
    2) I sneak in after target, change orientation often, etc.
    3) I get grabbed behind by an alien and executed while my target runs off.

I was PISSED. I know it's a deathmatch, but come fucking on, if there are plenty of other plays to kill - kill them first damnit. >=(

Anyway I kinda started getting annoyed at that, later on my grabs failed three times (I mean come on, I press the button when the message pops up - nothing happens) but instead my target turned around and killed me all three times.

So basically:
    1) fix the grab
    2) have TEAM deathmatch released with the first demo. Deathmatch is the worst mode tbh. If you have three distinct species fighting for survival, why would you have a mode where marines can kill marines? :/
    3) polish it up, take another 3 months but get the game to playable level.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Other aliens will always be able to easily spot you, dont stand with your back open, if you're alone, you'll most likely be grabbed.. from behind!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I figured that, doesn't make it any less annoying.

It's hard enough to sneak behind a conscious marine, but when your own species are also hunting you - that's just ugh.

Now probably if I was a dick I'd kill other aliens as well, but I just let them go. (only for them to turn around and kill me instead :/)