Home Technical Talk

Straight-Edge UV seams

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
This is one thing i've wondered for a while now. Although i've been unwrapping for years now i still dont figure how various maps like those seen in games like RE5 for instance have dead straight texture seams. I know how to straighten seams using polyboost or textools etc but why would you do this as surely its virtually never representative of the actual UV space (as seen by relaxing them - usually resulting in organic curved sides). I've always figured it was just a case of developers wanting to make it easier for texturing - having that nice clean edge - but at the expense of a little UV distortion. Maybe i've been missing out on something golden here but is there a way of unwrapping say trousers/pants with a dead straight edge either side without UV distortion?

Perhaps it's a case of relaxing / making seam planar and then locking borders when relaxing further but i'm figuring this will still lead to uv distortion (minor).

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, I pretty much do it on parts that are close to being straight anyway, or if they're looping shapes like belts or things which are actually straight when "flattened". Either way, it's just easier to texture.

Obviously the more you deviate from the mesh shape, the more distortion you'll get, but in most cases it's never that bad. It can be a lot easier to fit together UV shells if they have straight edges too, but it takes a bit more time to lay stuff out that neatly, and in most cases you don't save aaaaaaallllll that much space anyway.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I have read that having straight UV's also results in cleaner normal map bakes.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i started a thread on this topic a while back, it's here if you're interested: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=47273

the general conclusion went something like: the more next gen you go, the less perfect straight UVs tend to matter: they're great for using pixels to create straight lines (because of off-straight UVs creating the need for anti-aliased lines) but sometimes the uv distortion means although you squeezed more space out of the map, it looks worse anyway (because you're creating uneven texel ratios)

afaik there's no way you can straighten the lines without distortion, if the mesh isn't right angles (disclaimer: I'm not talking about normal maps or other bakes obviously because they have the distortion baked in to the texture)

edit: ps, I'll include a quote from per on the matter
    I'm on flaming monorail sonic booming all over the place leaving a trail of high quality models behind, working for some of the most prestigeous clients out there, I'm the black superman, the sleazy punk of 3d funk, the polygon prince
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Straight UV's are still important if you have straight lines on textures
    This thread for example http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68545&highlight=failed+art+test
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    ahhh very interesting .... good stuff!
  • gavku
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to sound dense here, but how do you actually work on textures using ptex? It can't all be procedural, can it?
  • gavku
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The only problem with PTex is that you can't use it effectively in most games. The PTex API would have to be integrated into a game engine before you could use it in real-time renderings. The nature of PTex prevents it from being effectively exported to a normal texture pipeline. (each polygon gets its own unique texture map)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku, thanks. That's a really interesting system, do want.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    can someone show me an example of what you guys are talking about here? I think it's what I'm thinking but I could be wrong. For example I used to work at a studio where the unwrap for clothes on a character were all straight at the edges, yet they're clothes and I was like I can see the benefit of having straight edged UV shells like this (easier seam removal for example) but then there's that distortion problem. I'm wondering if this is the same thing we're talking about here but again a screenshot of what is being talked about here would help!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an example, maybe not the best one.
    http://ericchadwick.com/img/cowgirl.html
    My texture was pretty low-res, so each pixel counts. I made the UV for the top of the pants totally straight, even though on the model it curves up and around her hips. This let me use a single-line shadow where the belt met the pants, made the belt loops easier/sharper, and better stitching along the crotch seam.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's all about making the painting easier for the average artist, and maximizing texture efficiency. You have to trade off a bit of accuracy in texture consistency. As you noted, it is common to get slight distortion effects on some surfaces because of this approach. Part of the trade off is that your texture density is greater, as less of your potential texture space gets wasted. And anyone attempting to paint on your texture map will have an easier time of it.

This technique is commonly used in large-volume projects, such as MMOs. In such projects, the game requires a very large number of prop and weapon models, as well as numerous texture maps for character clothes. With so many texture maps getting painted, it is important that they be easy for the texture painters to work with. For a one-time portfolio piece, you would have a little more leeway in laying out your UV maps.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only problem with PTex is that you can't use it effectively in most games. The PTex API would have to be integrated into a game engine before you could use it in real-time renderings. The nature of PTex prevents it from being effectively exported to a normal texture pipeline. (each polygon gets its own unique texture map)

The way Ptex is implemented in 3D-Coat it would work just fine in games or any 3D program for that matter, whether that program has Ptex support or not.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess you mean because when 3D-Coat exports it, the textures are baked into a regular single-UV layout?
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, it creates a special UV map for it. I made a YouTube video of it in action. You can see at one point I show the 2D textures, which is what the exported texture looks like.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4137te68FP4[/ame]
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    The way Ptex is implemented in 3D-Coat it would work just fine in games or any 3D program for that matter, whether that program has Ptex support or not.

Andrews solution isnt practical at all for games. Its splits every face of the model into a seperate UV island. pretty much doubling the vertex count of the model. Id imagine the bleed on the smaller islands would be pretty apparent also.

He did however mention somewhere about using a premade uv map for baking though.. this sort of defeats the purpose of ptex though.

as an aside. do you guys projection paint much or are you all photoshop users.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He also mentioned that the splitting of faces is temporary and it doesn't have to be that way so it will be changed. And While I haven't tried it yet (I'm doing so now) he said something about the distance between the islands is what gives it the ability to look good in a game engine.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    When UV mapping bends and curved surfaces and what not, aren't you going to get UV distortion anyways? You can't perfectly UV map everything in life, so I would think if you want to use straight-edged UV's then it's you win some you lose some type of deal.

From what I've come across and read, it seems this really only works well if you're going to use a small texture map though and not necessarily big texture sheets like 1024's or above.