Home General Discussion

My guide good 3D artz and stuff

Replies

• Hitez
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    nomatter what creature you do and how weird it looks claim everytime that it is intended this way
    nad refer to freedom of speech in terms of art

and never listen to people claiming to want to help you, dhey dont they just want to piss you off

cause they are jealous of your skills
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    One more tip, silhouette is just some shapes. Don't waste time with them, you can add details into the normal map later.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Always keep your animations as smooth as possible.
    Add as little keyframes as possible and keep the interpolations smooth.
    Linear movements always look like from a computer.
    Never use f kurves.

agree! the graph editor is a crutch,
    all motion should float like a feather and never hold a pose more than 1 frame.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    If you are a character artist and not making any of the following, you are doing it wrong.
    • Hot Chicks
    • Demons
    • Aliens
    • Killer Robots
    • Dinosaurs
    • Space Marines/Soldiers
    Otherwise just make Guns, Cars, Concrete blockades, Pillars and Dumpsters/Trashcans.

Also don't forget to deck your portfolio out with tons of flash interactivity and animated splash pages! It's always impressive and people love it.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    When making any sci fi design, make sure to overload it with greebles so that it all becomes just noise in game. Then it will look detailed!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    This is a little depressing, since at some point somewhere in some point in time the things that everyone hates in folios will be in my folio.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    all sci-fi corridors MUST be shaped like this

Untitled-5.jpg

the floor MUST have grates down the side (with pipes) and as many really deep crevices and massively indented patterning as humanly possible.

In short, all corridors must be nigh-on inaccessible to trolleys or anything with small wheels. Which is, i suppose, why all these things in the future will float. Still doesn't stop them bumping into a fucking great buttress every 5 metres though.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Material limit per a asset in UT3?

Pssshhhhh.

Real men use at LEAST 5 materials per a model.
  • psychoticprankster
    When making a model make sure to mirror it so you can see it from all angles.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    When making a model make sure to mirror it so you can see it from all angles.

i don't get it...
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Normal maps look great on everything. Everytime you texture something, just convert your diffuse to a normal map and voila, instant awesome.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Make sure you subdivide your basemesh at least 8 times before you start your highpoly sculpts, huge timesaver!:thumbup:
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    When you model a likeness, grab front and side references and never deviate from them. They're photos, they can not be wrong.
    If you're modeling a vehicle, though, just eyeball that, they're just cubes on wheels anyway.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Always make sure to display your work in Marmoset.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    remember , when working on shaders in uengine3 that 1000 nodes for a simple material is way better than using simple approaches to the same effect, because the node tree resembles an opium tree.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Always zBrush armor, its the best for that kind of stuff.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    When you model a likeness, grab front and side references and never deviate from them. They're photos, they can not be wrong.
    If you're modeling a vehicle, though, just eyeball that, they're just cubes on wheels anyway.

lalalal, who needs accuracy on vehicles anyway, right, a car's just a car after all.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hahahahha best tips everrrrrr

On a related note, what happened to that polycounter that used to only make gargoyles with huge cocks? Seems appropriate for this topic! ;)
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Use source engine to import your models into a game, it's super easy! The material system is also just perfect! AND ALWAYS USE CARVE!
    -Always follow the tutorials of a kid on youtube that sounds 11yrs old, they know how shit gets done!
    -Ask your mom if it looks good, if she likes it, everyone will.
    -Need a normal map for your character? Just crazybump that diffuse! Zbrush is for faggets!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    WOW... JUST WOW... :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    If your making pixel art for a 2d game, use the nvidia photoshop plugins to generate a normal map for them. especially for the characters, and grassy tileable textures.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    bitmap wrote: »
    this thread fails on so many levels

This...
    ZacD wrote: »
    cause they are jealous of your skills

hahahaha...
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Also when announcing your new awesome project make sure you start your p&p-thread at least a week before actually starting to work.

Start populating your thread before posting any art and ask for feedback as soon as you have created a 2 minutes block out. Because you it's never too early to get some feed back.

Oh and for the real awesomeness:
    Don't bother finishing your project. Even the pros don't. Just make sure your threaad has at least 5 pages with 10 people wasting their time giving you shitty advices. It's not necessary to complete anything. As soon as the project gets to hard: just move on, do something else. Its quantity over quality my friend.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarcasm or not Slave_zero, I'm not sure your post is appropriate.

When people on here or varying levels of ability, from beginners to industry pro's are kind enough to offer some criticism and suggestion, posting WIP's right from the concept stage isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Take Adam's current enviro for example. He went into detail about the scope of his project before even starting and not only is that a good idea, how much would it suck if he went ahead and put 10 hours into the 3D, posted a bunch of stuff and people said 'well the arts good but your concept sucks'.

If anything, people waste more time posting 'shitty comments' when someone posts work which is way past stages where alteration would be possible.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    You got me wrong.

I'm not reffering to adams thread or any other which leads torwards great results. And even if a project might not result in a kickass scene: no problem. I'm reffering to threads where people try to raise attention and help even before they really thought about what they will be doing. In addition those kinds of threads often end up that some guys are putting much effort in to give the thread opener good and valuable hints (overpaints, links, discussions e.g.) and finally you see the project never finishing. Because the creator just lost interest or what ever.

Considering Adams thread: Yeah there was a lot of talk before hand. But this reflects how serious he takes the project. He shares his own thoughts and visions with us. It's not that he stratrd a project with an title and first asking for ideas and hints: He contributed much of his concepts and vidions to the thread which is absolutely great.

Instead starting a half thought project and posting your first boxmodel and ask for any improvements is kind of pointless.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't bothered to read all 6 pages so I'm sorry if I derail any drama going on...

Always make ridiculous rules you rigidly adhere to for everything, always make sure they override any logical thoughts you might have about doing something a different way. Always stick to the rules and never question them!!
    The less they make sense the more you need to stick to them.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    My asset is more important than all other assets, it is ok to break the rules with this asset.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Vig wrote: »
    I haven't bothered to read all 6 pages so I'm sorry if I derail any drama going on...

Nope no drama, besides those 2 posts (that bumped this topic up from the dead), this thread stayed pretty much on topic which is surprising.

There's no such thing as asset rules!!!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    that reminds me :

assert failures are really called asset failures, and portals are really called portholes. Make sure you keep using the correct terms even when people repeatedly scream and throw heavy objects at your head from the other side of the office for the fourth time that week.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    If your character's tits are in any way affected by gravity, you have failed.

If you character's boobs aren't at least 60% visible, you have failed.

If your character doesn't have boobs, you have failed.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Always model your character from one solid watertight mesh. Modeling separate pieces and welding them together is too much unnecessary work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Zilk wrote: »
    Always model your character from one solid watertight mesh. Modeling separate pieces and welding them together is too much unnecessary work.

Boleans work really well for that
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, the ideal model is made from a box with 600x600x600 segments, and all shapes are booleaned into it, this is especially true for creating characters.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    bbob wrote: »
    Actually, the ideal model is made from a box with 600x600x600 segments, and all shapes are booleaned into it, this is especially true for creating characters.

ROFL x 2
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've just been using maya's default cylinders (20, 1, 1) and boolean them all together, I guess I've been doing it wrong.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Didnt you tell me the complete opposite of what you just said here?

My 3d modeling technique.....

If Humanoid:

Draw rough, front / side pose of your model traditionally (pencil + paper) and scan them, save them as Bitmaps.

Make 2 planes with no segments along the x and y axies. Apply the bitmap to material and material to the planes.

Start with either a line or a 1 poly plane with no segments.

Work in the front view to draw down and left to tweek forth.

If table start with the box :)
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Pfft, everyone knows the real professionals make their models line by line in notepad. It's actually more accurate and you don't need an expensive computer.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing as this thread is full of wisdom, I would like to offer my own!

Remember, polygons are for newbs. When building anything try to find to slowest way to do it. Real artists take a long time, if you did something fast or efficient then it sucks. I recommend using NURBS for everything and don't worry about cleaning up the topology. If the mesh isn't loading in game blame your programmers . Ohh, and don't use primitives they are for cheaters!
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    When making normal maps, make sure to unwrap your high poly model.

The normals come out better that way.

Also...

Creating VS. threads is the only way to figure out what app is for you.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Retopology is for pussies.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ten Commandments of Polycountianity!

- We are the divine of the 3D cosmos.

- You shall have no other forums before us.

- You weld as we say, you bake as we say. You will not think for yourself for you know nothing!

- You must always make assets according to the current trend, any attempt to break the trend rules will be considered as a sin, and thy shall be punished!

- You must always use one and only one viewport to create your scene.

- You must not comment on a thread if the thread starter has never commented on yours. Tit for tat!

- You must keep changing your work-flow and the programs you use, each time you create a new asset, and learn every new software you come across, that is the way to be a great artist!

- You shall not covet your fellow members, neither their ideas, nor their thoughts belong to you. Everything of that kind would and should be disregarded!

- You shall use your mouse to sculpt everything and anything, from a pillar to a monster, from a club to a mobster!

- You must never use DOF in 3d software or a game engine, DOF should be added in Photoshop while texturing, the farther the object belongs, the more blurred its diffuse should be!

- Lastly, take everything with a grain of salt, because everything is just that tasteless!

That's eleven, but we don't care!

Amen.

/no offense

Sorry if I went over the line :P
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash wrote: »
    If your character's tits are in any way affected by gravity, you have failed.

If you character's boobs aren't at least 60% visible, you have failed.

If your character doesn't have boobs, you have failed.

this.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What's the 3D game trend right now? Cause I think the gears of war phase is over.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I think its done a 360 to Girly men.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Didnt you tell me the complete opposite of what you just said here?

I really hope you dont think that anything in this thread is serious..
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hope you dont think that anything in this thread is serious..

You really didnt take my post seriously did you? =D
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feck, double bluff.. -.-

You're good..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is so much in the essence of this thread I just had to share it. This is a legitimate mod for Fallout 3.
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/774-1-1227887455.jpg