• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG, make me puke! That's hilarious.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hey, that's what my road looks like. Noisy textures for the win!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using a highpoly to extract normal maps is for noobs, every pro artist just takes his diffuse, levels the shit out of it, gives it a sharpen and run it through the nvidia normal map filter.

Besides, baking is something your MOM does. Whats next, you want me to clean up my mesh? Pfft, losers.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well suited for this thread...
    dv8ix wrote: »
    Why Triangulate things? Obviously it creates more polycount
    as shown in this reference here with just a cube. The Less wire mesh the computer has to generate the better.
    examp.png

OBVIOUSLY!!!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why use, for animation, the curve editors?
    They're just a bunch of squigly lines. Don't do any good. Don't do anything. Who needs 'em?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    They're just a bunch of squigly lines. Don't do any good. Don't do anything. Who needs 'em?

If you animate with biped, you'll soon realize this truth :)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    always make fun or ridicule people who know slightly less then you, it makes you a better artist.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    always make fun or ridicule people who know slightly less then you, it makes you a better artist.

no no no... You cut off their heads, before they take yours in attempt to take your art skillzzz
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Rule #137 for Maximum-Awesome in Videogame Development from an Artists Point of View (MAVDAPV for short).

Always.

And thats.. ALWAYS.. unwrap cylinders to be little cocks! Then you'll have super secret dicks in all your unwraps! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

maximumdickery.jpg

*Not really. Efficient unwraps are, of course, what you should be after. But always take the opportunity to cock up your unwrap if the chance presents itself.

the_more_you_know.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Your wasting UV space, you gotta doodle in the empty space.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10

This made me lol.

Adam: I see your UV cocks shift to the right, mine tend to shift to the left a little.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Something I'm working on right now made me think of this...

Don't delete faces that are hard to see, there's a chance that at the right angle part of that face may become visible and also it's peace of mind knowing that your modelling has extra depth to it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This thread is serious business.
  • Rens
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    completely retarded threads]

Im insulted!!!!

And your post is doing nothing to help me makes da awesome 3D artz and stuff...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    perna wrote: »
    Adam: So how should we know when these completely retarded threads are frowned upon because polycount is such a serious place of intelligent discourse and when they get mods posting cock n balls?

I don't want an actual answer, I just want to invalidate any future holier-than-thou spiel you make following a humorous post in "non-sanctioned" space. Your cock n balls are screenshotted and provided at the following link for anyone to use as they see fit:

adam.png

I totally get where you're coming from. And I'm happy you're paying attention enough to bring this up, but not paying attention enough to read what I've written numerous times (in the exact same replies you're paraphrasing) as I now get to say it again: I/we don't mind these sorts of threads so long as they're within moderation. And its when the lame-train comes rolling in (numerous threads like this one) that we ask you guys to bring it back on topic and tone it down a bit.

http://www.crobike.de/en/werbemittel_bilder/promopeddler/10800/21934.jpg
  • Disco Stu
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Oh, hey, this thread is amazing. AND I feel like I can share some of MY wisdom which is usually so rare because all the amateur 3D artists think you're just insulting them when you try to explain why their techniques are inferior and then they won't let you post any more.

There's so much in this thread already, but I found one area that hasn't been touched on enough: UV maps......

ALWAYS make sure none of your UVs overlap! ESPECIALLY if you're making a low resolution character because you need as much unique texture space as possible to make him look good despite the resolution! The more unique details you can have, the more lifelike and realistic it will look. Try to make sure your rust and edge wear is completely different on both sides of the object, even if the model is symmetrical! You need to offset that symmetry with your superdetailed texture! Also make sure to get rid of as many UV seams as possible, this is so that the shader can render the model correctly. The most professional UV mappers in the industry can lay out an entire character's UVs in a single island! Practice this!!!

If you find you have some empty spots in your UV map after laying out all your large, unique UV islands, pick the most important objects and stretch them out to fill the empty space. If you can make, say, a face be twice as wide as it is tall, that's just good because you need that extra resolution to make it more lifelike up close. Again, this becomes more important the lower the texture resolution you're working with!!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I know what it says under that black scribbled area: 0 new messages!
    Because you have no friends!
    :(
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    adam wrote: »
    I know what it says under that black scribbled area: 0 new messages!
    Because you have no friends!
    :D

That made LOL...almost lmao.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    My idea of 3d modeling?

Pay some small startup studio to do your job for you and than have them fire their employees after your job is done......

Actually I remember this guy added me all of a suddon to this group meeting on msn when I was like what..18?

He assigned me to make him models and all (yes I know my modeling is crappy but that time someone told him that I know how to use 3ds max) so I started modeling...everything went pretty well until I foundout that he works at walmart and does not have any of the skills related to CG. =S

Also, having no friends is a good thing, because it gives you chance to fakuse on your task, and your task only....:)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont get the joke
    but i got something
    if you're a programmer and have a bug in your code, always find workarounds to avoid fhaving to fix it
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Adam, it's the 21st century man!

EQUALITY.jpg