Home General Discussion

Not a good year to be NASA...

Looks like NASA will be forced to stop 2 major projects, the Constellation program that called for a return to the moon by 2020, which would also kill the Ares 1 rocket.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/31/AR2010013101058.html

I wonder if we'll see interest decline in Sci-Fi because of this? It's a pretty big genre in our industry and it was probably largely inspired by the things NASA was doing when a lot of developers where growing up. If they aren't there to influence kids will we see Sci-Fi take a hit?

Or will we do just as much dreaming but just not a lot of doing?

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I can get behind killing the moon program, but I can't see how they could feasibly eliminate the Ares rocket. Personally, I'd prefer a better approach for space travel, but they need SOMETHING; otherwise we go from being the space program to achieve, to relying on other nations to provide travel.

Honestly though, I could see this being a NASA power play. They probably want to suggest that it would kill the Ares, just to get people to support killing the budget reductions.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Well, we're really seeing the interest in the fantasy genre decline since we've discovered that unicorns and fairies don't exist :(

Sorry I couldn't resist :P We'll always be dreaming ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We need space travel. Only being on one planet isn't safe.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    they find water on the moon, then cut funding to go back there... gg NASA.... probably has something to do with finding cocaine in one of the flight hangers.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    gotta spread our roots in order to survive. I wanna live on mars.:)
  • rube
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »

QFT

The sooner we expand to other planetoids the safer we will be from extinction. I would very much so like to see a moon, and mars base with populations in the ten thousands. That should be enough genetic variation so that if something were to happen here we would be fine. Besides communication between earth and mars would only be between 3-22min.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I think space travel should be developed more by private investors, in the end once they discover new stuff it is bound to become profiting. Would definitely work a lot faster.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have any problem with canceling future moon missions. If we had a compelling reason to send men there, we'd have done it some time in the last 30 years. Considering the rest of the nation's financial concerns, this strikes me as a good place to save a few billion bucks in the short term.

I think the future of space travel belongs in the hands of private enterprise anyway. It made sense to have the space program under government control in the 1950s and 60s, but competition and capitalism can probably push the industry faster and cheaper now (the X-Prize, for example.) The Air Force goes to companies like Lockheed and Northrop when they want a new fighter plane, and they get to choose from the best of the best - can't see why the government would need to keep aerospace design in-house.

*edit*

I started typing before Japhir posted, I swear it's true :p
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah once space = profit there will be a huge boom in space travel and technology.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, and I was just thinking... Avatar is now the highest grossing film ever (not counting inflation), and it's hard core sci-fi. I don't think the genre will be any less popular in the future.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think we will see a decline in the genre
    Private investors are the only hope for advancement in this area, and that is both good and bad.
    It is good in that there's less red tape. It is bad because it's more about how are you going to make any money out of it. The good thing about the government's involvement is there's more of a general "explore for the advancement of society and mankind" kind of vibe, which is one reason why there is so much red tape to justify the spending. With private investing, there's gotta be a return in most cases, which then leans more towards a sales pitch if anything else. In a world consumed by the almighty weight of numbered parchment, there's more people wanting to fatten their own wallets than those looking to raise up humanity. Screw going to the moon, get us out of this galaxy.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get me wrong, I think the moon colonization would be a good effort, but for now, I think it's a good way to save other programs. Personally, I like the idea of making it a jumper to other travels.

One thing to remember though... you guys DO realize why it has so many craters, right? ;) I'm not too eager to live on a device that is used to swat away stray meteors ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Get out of our galaxy? How about trying to find life inside our galaxy first.

The universe is 13 billion years old

our sun is 4.5 billion years old

Microbes fossils on Earth are 3.5 billion years old

Oldest multicelled are 1 billion

so the universe is pretty young still...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

For one, it's not feasible right now, so it's just a giant money hole. We'd be better off spending the money researching alternative energy sources.

For two, why do you care? Do expect to be one of these astronauts? Does it matter less that we wipe ourselves out on this planet, if there are people on other planets? I don't particularly understand why you would rate the continued existence of the human race, over the existence of everyone on earth. Focus on us and our problems. Sending a few people off our planet would accomplish nothing for everyone still here.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    notman wrote: »
    One thing to remember though... you guys DO realize why it has so many craters, right? ;) I'm not too eager to live on a device that is used to swat away stray meteors ;)

yeah... because it has no tectonic activity and hasn't been able to erase the signs of impacts like earth has. We get hit by more space crap than the moon, easily.

What reason does the government have to go to the moon? We're not competing with anyone any more... only private industry really has the incentive to get into space these days. America doesn't care about that crap any more... if one channel has the moon base launch event, and the other has coverage of britney's latest haircut, what do you think most taxpayers are gonna watch?

Nasa lost a lot of their best people to private industry years ago... the new structure is venture capital explores new options, the government and other corporations funds them. We'll be alright.
    aesir wrote: »
    For two, why do you care? Do expect to be one of these astronauts? Does it matter less that we wipe ourselves out on this planet, if there are people on other planets? I don't particularly understand why you would rate the continued existence of the human race, over the existence of everyone on earth. Focus on us and our problems. Sending a few people off our planet would accomplish nothing for everyone still here.

You don't see how only half the human race dying would be preferable to the entire human race dying? Really?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For one, it's not feasible right now, so it's just a giant money hole. We'd be better off spending the money researching alternative energy sources.

There's so many disasters that could destroy almost all life on earth, there's been at least 5 on Earth. http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/extinction_sidebar_000907.html

We should keep our technological advancements going. If we have another planet we got a back up. If something happens to Earth we'd have people that could come back and help.

Having one planet isn't safe, and there's no way to protect and defend it besides to be spread out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    " "We were not a sustainable path to get back to the moon's surface," NASA administrator Charles Bolden said in a conference call Monday. He said Constellation was eating up money that could have gone to innovations in space flight. The budget calls for billions in coming years dedicated to new technologies that, Bolden said, could make it possible for astronauts to explore the solar system.
    "Imagine trips to Mars that take weeks instead of nearly a year," Bolden said."
    This makes me think they want to experiment with plasma engines and that the Ares isn't a good delivery system to get that new engine into space. It also sounds like they where not big fans of repeating past successes but going for something more ambitions mars in a few weeks instead of a year. That I can get behind.

It's not slashing the budget like I originally read they've edited their article a few times now... Rather its just not extending funding to get the projects off the ground. The funding was never really there for much more than planning and some unmanned tests.

It seems like the plan is let the Russians and private industry maintain the floating monument to international cooperation so we can hit something bigger and more meaningful, then awesome.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »

You don't see how only half the human race dying would be preferable to the entire human race dying? Really?

More like we send 100 people out on a big ship that cost us eleventy trillion dollars and we never see or hear from them again. Meanwhile at home, no one gives a shit about those hundred people, but we sure are a little ticked off that money didn't go toward making our planet a better place. We all die, and no I don't think any of us would take the least bit comfort in knowing that oh yay, there are some people elsewhere.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir: we are programmed to care for the future of the human race, the few individuals who might have existed that didn't care died off without reproducing or protecting themselves. (= why they don't exist today).
    So if we can make sure the "human race" survives by going into space, most humans would probably think that's a good idea :).
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    More like we send 100 people out on a big ship that cost us eleventy trillion dollars and we never see or hear from them again. Meanwhile at home, no one gives a shit about those hundred people, but we sure are a little ticked off that money didn't go toward making our planet a better place. We all die, and no I don't think any of us would take the least bit comfort in knowing that oh yay, there are some people elsewhere.

That's a pretty selfish outlook... kind like saying, "if this ship is sinking and I'm gonna die anyway, why bother trying to help launch someone else's life raft?"

And anyway, why can't we do both? Before any budget cuts NASA still had a laughably small budget compared to other less-than-necessary areas of our government (ridiculous military industrial complex anyone? billion dollar pork projects? hello?).

Dunno if you've noticed, but there's not exactly a lot of room for more humans on earth. We're gonna need to get off this planet sooner or later, and at the rate we're growing, sooner would be preferable. Or we can just have a big war or two, or enforce a global birth limit. That sound better to you?

The sooner we start building the technology, the sooner we'll be able to move large numbers of humans around in space. We can't just sit here forever, and that's a fact. The resources here are already being squeezed pretty hard, and the planet's starting to notice. Nobody's saying we need to stop funding schools and foreign aid to do this... but putting money into this would be a pretty big gift for our descendants.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It'd be in both groups best interest to stay in contact, even if it takes 2 years to send stuff back and forth. And the eleventy billion dollars would be spent on paying people on this planet to mine, invent, and build that ship. Its not like the money is just floating away, its creating jobs. Throwing money at problems doesn't solve issues.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I think it will be the pirate investors.

Space pirates ftw!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    ZacD: yeah, my bad dude, i meant solar system

or at least get to one end and back in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, go read some books written by Robert Heinlein. He has some of the most inspiring sci-fi stories out there IMO. Start of with stranger in a strange land :).
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Japhir wrote: »
    aesir: we are programmed to care for the future of the human race, the few individuals who might have existed that didn't care died off without reproducing or protecting themselves. (= why they don't exist today).

I'll be honest with you.... Before I had a kid, I could have cared less what happened after I died. Now that I have a kid, I care about the future, so what you're saying couldn't be more right :P
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Why climb Mt. Everest? Why explore the very bottom of our ocean? Humanity does these things because they are there. Space travel is a challenge, the greatest challenge and adventure humanity has ever known.

Its my opinion that the human race needs to put forth as much effort as it can to exploring space and space tech. I honestly I can not comprehend why anyone would oppose the human spirit to explore the unknown and challenge its self. Well I can comprehend because the mass majority of people these days want everything for free and feel they are self entitled to it. The need to better ones self and his fellow man is almost completely devoid in today's society. We need to rekindle this spirit, and the best way is to explore the greatest challenge man has ever faced. Space Travel......just take a few minutes to soak that up.

I'm livid about this right now, and when I saw this news I felt like I had just lost a dear family member. Very depressing.
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    Science fiction is what killed public interest in the space program, in my opinion.

It seems like the general consensus is that space is too far, too expensive, and too empty - especially when compared with the star trek / star wars / battlestar / etc etc universes.

Apart from pure scientific discovery - which is awesome, don't get me wrong - in terms of interest, your average entertainment drone citizen probably ranks nasa somewhere alongside c-span or the weather channel thanks to the constant bombardment of fictionalized intentionally dramatic scifi action/adventure.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    DarthNater wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you.... Before I had a kid, I could have cared less what happened after I died. Now that I have a kid, I care about the future, so what you're saying couldn't be more right :P

So, do you expect your kid to be on that other planet or what? If I were you i'd care about the kid's future on this planet.
    Cojax wrote: »
    Why climb Mt. Everest? Why explore the very bottom of our ocean? Humanity does these things because they are there. Space travel is a challenge, the greatest challenge and adventure humanity has ever known.

Its my opinion that the human race needs to put forth as much effort as it can to exploring space and space tech. I honestly I can not comprehend why anyone would oppose the human spirit to explore the unknown and challenge its self. Well I can comprehend because the mass majority of people these days want everything for free and feel they are self entitled to it. The need to better ones self and his fellow man is almost completely devoid in today's society. We need to rekindle this spirit, and the best way is to explore the greatest challenge man has ever faced. Space Travel......just take a few minutes to soak that up.

Yes, no doubt exploring space would provide a little boost to our spirits. Somehow though, I doubt the starving people in the rest of the world will feel the same.

I'm not trying to say NASA is an evil thing. Yes, it would be nice to explore space. But it's really low on my list of 'important things we should be doing with our tax money'
    Ferg wrote: »
    That's a pretty selfish outlook... kind like saying, "if this ship is sinking and I'm gonna die anyway, why bother trying to help launch someone else's life raft?"

No, that's like being on a ship with a leak in it, and telling everyone to focus their efforts on making a life raft for one person rather than trying to fix the ship and save everyone.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys lets be honest here. We've 'explored' the only few planets in our solar system that we could ever live on. We are probably going to have to search other systems/galaxies to find a planet that could sustain life. I don't think the tech. to travel outside of our system is anything we will see in the next 100 years (I'd even bet it won't even be discovered within the next 1000 years).

Yes, space is something we should be watching and exploring, but we have other things to worry about right now. Get the shit straight on Earth before we go leaving :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd honestly prefer starting a voyager craft. Something like The Enterprise. A propulsion system and a vessel that can maintain life, with enough room to move and live 'normal lives' in. Obviously I'm not talking something the size of the Enterprise, but something that offers more than wide tubes to move around in.

Unfortunately, I know the cost would be way too high for that.

BTW, for those who don't realize, China is attempting to go to the moon. I think that's what Bush was trying to compete with.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Guys lets be honest here. We've 'explored' the only few planets in our solar system that we could ever live on. We are probably going to have to search other systems/galaxies to find a planet that could sustain life. I don't think the tech. to travel outside of our system is anything we will see in the next 100 years (I'd even bet it won't even be discovered within the next 1000 years).

Yes, space is something we should be watching and exploring, but we have other things to worry about right now. Get the shit straight on Earth before we go leaving :P

There is less poverty and disease now then any point in history. Its thinking like this that will get us no where. Its the same thing over and over again. People saying its impossible and can never happen in a thousand years. Do we have to wait for a utopia before we can start looking at how to go faster then light? Has anyone figured if we were able to create self sustaining colonies how this would affect life on earth? If we were to create an infinity renewable energy source for stations and space craft, and how this would help life on earth? How studying the atmosphere of other planets would help us to understand our own? Staying put on earth is stupid tell things are 'fixed'. Space exploration will bring more good to humanity then just staying put and trying to fix the same problems we have had for thousands for years.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    as I said before aesir, and you kinda ignored it - we have to leave. We can't stay here forever, unless a bunch of people die and/or we stop having babies. The sooner we develop that technology, the less of a chance there is we'll have to take drastic measures to control the human population. You're pretty astute in noticing that moving a hundred people off the planet for a bazillion dollars probably isn't gonna save the human race in one fell swoop, but it's an important step in that direction.

A second reason is resources. The first and easiest is helium3 on the moon. There's an infinite amount of solar energy up there, california (I think it's CA at least, someone is definitely doing this) is currently constructing a giant space-based energy collector that will beam 100% clean energy down to ground stations. Applications like this are only the tip of the ice berg. And how did we figure out we could do this? Where did the technology come from? Oh, that's right, NASA and space exploration.

You can't pretend that our earth-based resources can support us forever, especially not at our current rate of growth. Moving out into space, whether it's for energy, raw resources, or expansion, is our ONLY viable long-term option if we want to keep this entire ship from devouring itself.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't get the whole "continued existence of humanity" thing at all. If Earth becomes completely uninhabitable, having a few extra people around elsewhere isn't going to bring back the billions of years of Earth history that would be erased. Chances are, the offworlders probably wouldn't even have the space, resources, or skills needed to forge an effective civilization with any staying power anyway. But even if they did somehow manage and humans had a great new planet to multiply on, what difference would it make? Why is there any inherent value in having humans around? What we do as a species is only valuable to us and a handful of other creatures who follow us around (rodents, bugs, certain birds, etc). Everything else is adversely affected. We hardly even fit in on this planet, compared to how efficiently everything else seems to work in nature without us. Other than surrounding ourselves with more of ourselves and making some neat things to keep us entertained, I don't see a benefit to having people outlive the planet. I'd rather see us find some happy solutions to some stuff like power and population control here and not have to worry about it.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I keep thinking back to master of orion and Ascendancy, how tech trees blend together and focusing on one technology isn't always the best option even if that's what you think your focus should be. Although our focus may not be directly tied to space travel and sustaining life on other planets, technology will always branch into other areas.

Robotics are advancing, computers obviously, AI, biotics, genetics all that. In 30 years we might be able to send a small robot to mars, have it construct a facility to build more robots, from there construct some kind of biodome and terraform sections of the planet using technologies completely foriegn to what we currently think is needed to sustain life there. The kicker is we wouldn't even need to send a human to mars, we could stream our genetic code through space once the facilities are ready and just grow the first generation of martians, communicate and raise them with robots. Sounds crazy, but it really isn't that far fetched.

Take it even further and we could start putting our brains in jars and start controlling robotic bodies, requiring less bio sustination and more mechanical sustananation, which would basically just be carbon, metals, and sunlight. Further still, robots replace the biogenetic form, we go pure digital, live in a computer and interact with reality through machine, or just play games which at that point would be 50000x better than drifting through space anyway.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9

Actually the technology needed to send spacecraft to our nearest interstellar neighbors in a human life time already exists (See: Project Longshot & Project Daedalus); what is preventing us from traveling to Alpha Centauri in such fashion is the immense economic burden of such a project.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    fly_soup wrote: »
    I really don't get the whole "continued existence of humanity" thing at all. If Earth becomes completely uninhabitable, having a few extra people around elsewhere isn't going to bring back the billions of years of Earth history that would be erased. Chances are, the offworlders probably wouldn't even have the space, resources, or skills needed to forge an effective civilization with any staying power anyway. But even if they did somehow manage and humans had a great new planet to multiply on, what difference would it make? Why is there any inherent value in having humans around? What we do as a species is only valuable to us and a handful of other creatures who follow us around (rodents, bugs, certain birds, etc). Everything else is adversely affected. We hardly even fit in on this planet, compared to how efficiently everything else seems to work in nature without us. Other than surrounding ourselves with more of ourselves and making some neat things to keep us entertained, I don't see a benefit to having people outlive the planet. I'd rather see us find some happy solutions to some stuff like power and population control here and not have to worry about it.

I'm sorry you can't understand the "continued existence of humanity", the principle is the same as self preservation.

Your happy solutions to power and population control will come from space exploration.

I'm just getting mad reading all this so I leave you all with a simple quote, and only ask you to think, not about your self, but of others:

"I don't think the human race will survive the next thousand years, unless we spread into space. There are too many accidents that can befall life on a single planet. But I'm an optimist. We will reach out to the stars." -Stephen Hawking
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    unless we learn to bend space, we wont see or hear of our objects reaching another "habitable" life bearing planet in our own lifetimes. need to figure out how to go faster than light first before it is even conceivable. Relativity is a bitch!

sucks Obama's plan is proposing to cut back NASA funding, but its gotta get passed in Congress first guys, which could take months, and not get passed at all :)

It would be awesome to land on Mars with people though. We should send Val Kilmer. Fulfilling our exploratory nature with going to another planet would be amazing; since we've only visited our Moon. As far as "saving ourselves" though, or fixing the planet to make it better - ehhhh dunno. The Earth will be fine, we're the ones who are fucked :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well proly kill ourselves in nuclear fire or some retarded war due to human nature before trying to save ourselves in space , we have the armament and we have crazy people controling countries with enough power for that . The only thing in space will be our dust/little bits of burnt shit from all the blasts :P

[/pessimist]

We can change our planet to make it less fucked up , the thing is its an impossible ideal to move alot of people to do that. Deep space exploration and colonization will only be possible if we solve our shit back home first .
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    moose wrote: »
    unless we learn to bend space, we wont see or hear of our objects reaching another "habitable" life bearing planet in our own lifetimes. need to figure out how to go faster than light first before it is even conceivable. Relativity is a bitch!

keep in mind, this is based off the same theories that necessitated the creation of some invisible magical "dark matter" filling 80% of the universe for them to actually fit what we've observed. They're already observing things in deep space that appear to move faster than light.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah for sure, gotta figure it out though :) I remember reading/seeing something about "riding the wake" of space for increased travel speeds... though maybe that was a game/movie haha.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    As soon as China, Russia or India make headway we'll starting investing heavily back into space. In the meantime, let the private industry throw some cash at this.
    B
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah for sure, gotta figure it out though :) I remember reading/seeing something about "riding the wake" of space for increased travel speeds... though maybe that was a game/movie haha.
    http://www.universetoday.com/2009/10/06/trips-to-mars-in-39-days/

There is a new kind of plasma rocket they want to use once they're in space. It would start off slow but keep pushing and the speed would ratchet up because there isn't anything to slow it down, just continual acceleration.

Its not strong enough to be used for launch but its incredibly fuel efficient compared to today's rocket tech, so less to carry up there. Last I heard they where going to install one on the international space station to help reduce the propellants they have to use to keep it from crashing back to earth.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sci Fi Science did a space travel show a few weeks back and explained this in detail. Yeah, I'm a nerd, I have all the episodes on my DVR ;)

Anyway, nice links Eraserhead.

Everyone, how do we know there aren't humans in other galaxies trying to do the exact same thing we are? Seriously, think about all those infinite galaxies/dimensions out there. (I don't want to turn this all religious...)
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to be Nasa this year. They're getting more funding than they did last year (19 Billion dollars, vs 18 billion last year). Even Nasa is happy about this, because as they say in their own words:
    The truth is we were not on a sustainable path to get back to the moon's surface, and as we focused most of our efforts and funding on getting back to the moon we were neglecting investment in key technologies to get us beyond
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/space/02/01/nasa.budget.moon/index.html

This is a very good thing for NASA. Read more here: http://www.space.com/news/nasa-far-out-plans-100201.html

And yeah, thats right. Inflatable Space Houses is on their to-do list.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Being stuck on one planet is stupid for so many reasons.

There's planets not too far away from us that can support life, I see us exploring space a lot more in the next 100 years. a little over 100 years ago we were just starting to mess with transatlantic communications, now everything is connected and communication is cheap and easy.

It'll be age of discovery once we have another planet. Trade between planets that are rich in rare materials, better city planning, a whole need world to learn about, etc etc.

Faster than light communications seems like one of the most important issues.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    We'd be back on the Moon in no time at all, if we found oil there. Government priorities.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    We'd be back on the Moon in no time at all, if we found oil there. Government priorities.

Oil couldn't exist on the moon, but if your talking about fuel sources...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

"Helium-3 is proposed as a second-generation fusion fuel for fusion power uses."
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    The moon is going to be key. As ZacD just mention Helium 3 is what they're after. I just watched a documentary on it not long ago. There are already plans in the works of mining the moon for Helium3.

Obviously I'm no rocket scientist, but given enough time, I don't see how humanity wouldn't come to inhabiting another planet or the moon. Its bound to happen. My roommate, who was much more of a scholar than I, told me a few times, experts expect the Earth will only be able to sustain a population of ~9 billion... how long will that take to reach?

Regardless, its too bad NASA had their budget cut, I really enjoy the idea of space exploration.

edit - http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/moon-for-sale/ - here is a link to the documentary if anyone is interested.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Faster than light communications seems like one of the most important issues.

but even without, a 3-22min* delay of info wouldn't be that bad. Yeah no phone calls, but texts and internet yeah. Oh noes polycount might not get updated for 22min!

*min and max distance between the planets at the speed of light.