Home General Discussion

Not a good year to be NASA...

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2007-04-24-new-planet-red-dwarf_N.htm

The closest Earthlike planet is 20 light years away. Which with current tech would take 200 years to get to.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I was holding out that NASA would find something that would finally unite us a species, instead of us looking only onto ourselves, and contemplating our minor differences and ultimate uselessness.

But I also agree that our flimsy grasp on our planets energy is annoying. We should be harnessing every bit of energy, whenever it happens. Any tornado, gust of wind, lightning storm, earthquake ect - all that energy, when it happens, should be ours.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Zac, where are you getting the 200 years from?

No mater what we would have to send a probe there first. There is where things get complicated, with your numbers we would have to wait 220 years to hear back from the probe. Think about how long that would be tech time, does anyone use tech from the 1790 any more? More than likely by the time the first probe would arrive it might be the last one of many to have been sent after the fact. Hell people could even be there by the time it landed. So the question then comes to when would be the rite technological point to send one? At this point would you say it would make sense to send one?

This is the same concept behind buying new computer parts. The longer you wait the better stuff you get, but what is the cost of the wait? Its like sending a physical letter to a company with your resume. The next day you realize your mistake and email them. The day after that you have a phone interview. The next day you get the job, and a week after the letter arrives. Was it worth it to pay the postage for the letter?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wikipedia said something about it would take 50 years to get somewhere 5 light years away, so simple math.

If we actually got something designed for traveling to other planets I'm sure we could get their in our lifetimes... hopefully.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The best part about space travel is relativity! Sadly it really only becomes a major factor when you get really close to the speed of light. We really need to find a way to get into the .85C range then you get half the trip duration for the crew. So a planet 20 light years away would take 23 years to the observer, and 11.5 years for the crew.
  • Altimeter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think we should try to go further by satellites & being able to go the moons should be a civilian investment, I hear virgin is planning on making outerspace trips