Home General Discussion

Apple Ipad

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup I agree with the above analysis. No purpose at this point, but some very interesting stuff might happen. However, it could also be totally left in the cold and not taking off.

As a matter of fact, the best target audience is the female demographic. Because it fits in a purse.

The limited iphone-like feature are a drag tho. Browsing websites on the iphone (regardless of the small screen real estate) is NOT a revolutionary experience. Finger dragging/touching the pages even gets annoying after a while (macbook trackpad is so much more elegant). You know that retarded, overly delicate flick gesture some people do when they interact with their iphone, looking just as if the guy wants to get rid of some sticky boogers? Be prepared to see that full size, everywhere now. I would almost see that as a privacy invading thing. Visual noise, just like cellphones being audio environment clutter.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I just bought a Fujitsu Lifebook.

It's like a cintiq. Amazing, I love it.

Like Sandbag wished, it's pretty much a digital sketchbook, and is a Wacom Penable.

The screen flips around.

http://ts.fujitsu.com/products/mobile/tablet_pcs/index_t_series.html

:) Runs like a dream.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Keeping an iphone or blackberry in your pocket to do an email check or whatever is really convenient.

I'd be embarrassed to whip this thing out in public...if I need to do anything more involved than what an iphone is capable of, I want to use a netbook or a laptop.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    I can see its place in the world to be honest.
    Checking emails and social networking access from your couch, with music, movies and books as a bonus. More of a lifestyle computer.
    A little more focused than a pc/mac, a little less restricted that an ipod. doesn't matter what i think though, the thing will sell like hotcakes.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    So i guess this is the new lineup,

PC (work/current games/full web/media)
    console (current games/media)
    laptop (portable/work/last gen games/full web/media)
    netbook (portable/full web/media/simple games)
    ipad (portable/basic web*/media/simple games)
    smart phone (portable/call/basic web*/media/simple games)
    ipod/MP3 player (portable/media)

*lack of web plugin support. IE no Hulu, or any TV player sites.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I have no use for this product.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    An interesting thing from this thread is the want for Microsoft's upcoming Courier.

People are looking forward to a hardware-based product from Microsoft?

Seriously?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly. XBox 360 = Prolific hardware failure.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    It looks cool but it's too expensive for a 1ghz gadget without multitask. I didn't buy an ipod, and i won't buy this nice toy. With 500+ euro i can build a cooler and small htpc with a great videocard for gaming as well (5770).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    eh, so it might work decently well, be affordable, but a 3rd of them fail after 2 years, and microsoft will only cover half of them... but seriously I really doubt Microsoft would make the same mistake twice.
    the Zune HD seems like a decent piece of hardware though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    glynnsmith wrote: »

Yet it's still arguably the most interesting console. You have to admit the whole thing is very well done, I was impressed to say the least when I first started using Live on it.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Yet it's still arguably the most interesting console. You have to admit the whole thing is very well done, I was impressed to say the least when I first started using Live on it.
    As long as they stop putting it in my PC games, especially on Steam! ;)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The old zune, which I own, is also a very nice MP3 player, very well organized compared to the iPod and with a couple of really neat features that set it in front in my opinion, such as device to device song sharing, and very nice software and marketplace to boot compared to iTunes.

I wouldnt say its an iPod killer, which is quite evident, but it is a really nice device.

With that in mind, I am greatly anticipating my purchase of the Zune HD on its launch in Europe. As it, at least in my opinion, is much nicer looking especially in terms of navigation and with a quite nice feature list.

As for the reliability of MS hardware, the original zune haven't given me the slightest trouble. But it will be interesting to see if the courier will get a "red ring of death".
  • glynnsmith
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    its a overpriced ebookreader
    wouldnd buy it,
    and soon aplle will notice, that design and nice interfaces dont help sell useless products

btw, cooling the xbox properly makes is much less failing
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    and soon aplle will notice, that design and nice interfaces dont help sell useless products

You're kidding, right?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    notman wrote: »
    That's a good point... how do you get your pictures to it instantly? It would be great to display images of your portfolio, or to clients, so they can make purchase decisions, but I would think it would be better to have it more instantaneous.

All professional DSLRs have optional wifi grips, these send the images over wireless right from the camera, no cords required.
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shiny overpriced screen.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    so Jobs unveils an oversized, overpriced iphone/touch this week while Bill Gates goes out donates 10 billion to giving vaccines to the poor. As always... apple shoots to cater the rich who can throw away cash at the chance to look hip and trendy while PC gives to the poor.

Bad comparison since gates stepped down, but still....

If the Ipad had an actualy OS and multitasking I might be excited to use it as a device to use around the house, I can't fathom putting down the cash for what state its in now.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hey if you plug itto a macbook and use it as a second touch screen then im in
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    hey if you plug itto a macbook and use it as a second touch screen then im in

- see ZacD's post: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    8FtSpider wrote: »

sweet baby jaysis! they dropped the price!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy f***!!

Is that heaven? Seriously, I am totally getting a modbook pro when it comes out, stylus and touch display, thats effing epic..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    All professional DSLRs have optional wifi grips, these send the images over wireless right from the camera, no cords required.

I was not aware of that (since I can't afford cool cameras ;)). Then yeah, I can see it being a cool option for them
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck. This is what the iPad should have been.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    bbob wrote: »
    The old zune, which I own, is also a very nice MP3 player, very well organized compared to the iPod and with a couple of really neat features that set it in front in my opinion, such as device to device song sharing, and very nice software and marketplace to boot compared to iTunes.

Remind me again, does the Zune HD have a touch screen? That is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I like the touchable interface that my iPod Touch supports. And I can't remember whether or not the Zune HD has that. Multi-touch is a nice feature to brag about, but isn't that important, single-touch screens are fine.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Zune HD does have a multi-touch screen.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Browsing websites on the iphone (regardless of the small screen real estate) is NOT a revolutionary experience. Finger dragging/touching the pages even gets annoying after a while (macbook trackpad is so much more elegant). You know that retarded, overly delicate flick gesture some people do when they interact with their iphone, looking just as if the guy wants to get rid of some sticky boogers? Be prepared to see that full size, everywhere now. I would almost see that as a privacy invading thing. Visual noise, just like cellphones being audio environment clutter.

The iPhone web-browsing might not strike you as revolutionary now, but it was three years ago. In summer 2007, mobile browsing sucked ass. Having an actual browser that could view standard sites was a big deal.

As for "privacy invading visual noise"... Sorry about all that flicking and gesturing, Francine, but an iPad might be just the thing for your sore vagina!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube wrote: »
    Zune HD does have a multi-touch screen.

And it also allows for software development for the platform through XNA...

Damn, Microsoft could really do a lot with their latest iteration of the Zune. They even dropped that stupid brown color, replacing it with slick black and shiny platinum. They need to crank the marketing up for the Zune. And more than anything else, they need to push indie development for it. Their dropping the ball somewhat on indie development for the 360 is part of this.

Maybe things will pick up when Unity gets ported to the 360/XNA. A lot of iPhone games are developed using Unity. With an XNA-compatible version, it should be child's play to port a lot of those iPhone games over to the Zune HD.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, try browsing on ANY Verizon phone. It's horrid. The mobile version of Safari is far superior to anything else mobile that I've seen.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    bbob wrote: »
    Holy f***!!

Is that heaven? Seriously, I am totally getting a modbook pro when it comes out, stylus and touch display, thats effing epic..

That thing looks amazing! too bad the price is also epic:( 5 grand, ouchie.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    notman wrote: »
    Yeah, try browsing on ANY Verizon phone. It's horrid. The mobile version of Safari is far superior to anything else mobile that I've seen.

Er, I really have no complaints about web browsing on my droid. Pinch zoom would be nice, but its not a big deal at all.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an iPod Touch. It is sitting next to me right now. The internet browsing on it is better than say...my PSP. But it is not good internet browsing, and I would only use it if no other option presented itself. The screen is just too small for proper browsing, there's no other way around it. The touchpad is a superior interface to a D-pad or analog nub, but the links are just too small for my stubby fingers to browse properly.

I imagine that the iPad will actually be great for internet browsing. It's resolution and screen size aren't quite as good as a regular PC screen, but its well within the comfortable limits of web browsing. (ie, you'll be able to see most of the average pages without scrolling horizontally) In fact, this might be one of its best features, at least as a portable device. I'm still not sure who is going to buy it just for that.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    venain wrote: »
    Er, I really have no complaints about web browsing on my droid. Pinch zoom would be nice, but its not a big deal at all.

Likewise browsing on my verizon connected Tour is great. Really the only thing I like better about the iPhone vs the Tour for web is the big screen, which if I was willing to accept touch screens (currently cant stand them) I'd just get a Storm2 and call that one solved.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I don't think anyone wants to go back to the "special" web days again... That was a very dark period. It's hard to think they thought that would ever work.

So I think the world agrees, the ipad didn't live up to its hype machine, it would be hard to... even the casual consumers and some of the Apple fanboi's seem to be ho-hum about it. But everyone is still saying "its going to change the future" because they're the only company

But I think they choose to do something a little different this time, they choose to play it too safe. But it sets them up for a 2nd generation with the new features.

They may have stretched their "less is more" approach a bit too thin this time and I think a lot of people are seeing through it.

"ok so its not all that amazing, but its Apple they revolutionize stuff this is going to sell just on clout right?" I dunno something feels different this time...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That thing looks amazing! too bad the price is also epic:( 5 grand, ouchie.

Where do you see that? Modbook built on 2.13ghz Macbook base = $1,649
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I guess I should have distinguished a few phones here. I haven't seen/used the droids yet, but I know Verizon is big on using the same system on all their phones. I know there are exceptions, and the Android based phones would probably be part of that. I have the Voyager, which is now the Envy Touch, and it is horrible. I've seen it on other phones too, and it's terrible.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Where do you see that? Modbook built on 2.13ghz Macbook base = $1,649

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro

Modbook Pro complete system = $4,698
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the Pro edition.

This is the $1600 version: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The pro is the only one with touch, and I'd love to get windows 7 on that :D if I was rich...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who gives a shit about touch if you have Wacom stylus input? Is touching up the screen like you were using the credit card swipe pad at a grocery store worth another $3,000?!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    It's not even available yet anyway. Been delayed by more than a year now.

The modbook still looks like one of the best tablet pc options available - assuming like me, you want something to handle photoshop, artrage/sketchbook, and zbrush at least. I haven't heard of any other tablet pc that has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity. That alone is the biggest selling point - not to mention up to 6 gigs of ram. More than enough for zbrush.

I'm actually seriously considering getting a modbook now that apple has played its hand. Wasn't expecting them to support the artist anyway with this version - if they ever do.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Who gives a shit about touch if you have Wacom stylus input? Is touching up the screen like you were using the credit card swipe pad at a grocery store worth another $3,000?!
    its also a macbook pro vs a macbook.

This is what computer/laptop manufactures should be making. I'm sure you could do that with a pc for less than $3000 (touch, stylist, great monitor, decent specs)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I get that. I don't really have anything else to add to this thread other than:

iPad.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The pro is the only one with touch, and I'd love to get windows 7 on that :D if I was rich...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/the-hp-slate/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    if have to admit. if not for the iPad, i would not have been aware of all the alternatives.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    no pen, no pressure, no deal, Howie.
    Hopefully the Microsoft Courier is all it's hyped up to be then.

http://gizmodo.com/5381011/microsoft-couriers-swipes-snips-and-scribbles-the-leaked-interface
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus wrote: »
    Hopefully the Microsoft Courier is all it's hyped up to be then.

http://gizmodo.com/5381011/microsoft-couriers-swipes-snips-and-scribbles-the-leaked-interface
    I had to double take at the image on that page.

Top right corner, the words "FINGER FLICK". The L and the I seem to conjoin, to make a U.

Oh dear :P