Home General Discussion

Apple Ipad

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm confused. Aren't most of the components for a gadget like the iPad produced in third and second world countries? Doesn't consumption of a device like this actually help those countries by making it profitable for corporations like Apple to expand their manufacturing there? Isn't increased purchasing by early adopters indicative of a healthy economy?

Regardless of the psychology behind impulsive acquisition of technology, isn't it something that society as a whole should be encouraging? The biggest advantage of consummerism is a strong, stable economy.

The problem Vig thankfully pointed out, is when the products become obsolete and get dumped in countries without strict laws for what gets dumped into the landfills. This in turn affects the populace close to these landfills. So yeah, it has a grim flip-side until someone finds a way to enforce the Basel convention, or make it obsolete by finding a way of recycling these things.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I'm confused. Aren't most of the components for a gadget like the iPad produced in third and second world countries? Doesn't consumption of a device like this actually help those countries by making it profitable for corporations like Apple to expand their manufacturing there? Isn't increased purchasing by early adopters indicative of a healthy economy?

Regardless of the psychology behind impulsive acquisition of technology, isn't it something that society as a whole should be encouraging? The biggest advantage of consummerism is a strong, stable economy.

We really should probably stop this before we all end up pissed off with one another like a normal thread that gets hijacked from its original intent. Needless to say, your argument is only one side of the argument. Another though is a consumerists based society has a underbelly as well of the types of things Vig pointed out. Mine would include allowing justification of bad governments, and manufacturing practices first world countries can ignore because its all hidden.

So anyhow, cats time.

42745329-2fef-4b8c-bb50-76624109f8e3.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    kickfart.jpg

a faint spark of hapiness in my dark and dreary existance
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Vig wrote: »
    E-Waste, E-cycling call it whatever you want it's shipped it off to 3rd world counties that gladly take the cash to store our trash. Then people pick through the piles of toxic chemicals to find useful things like copper. Only the wires are coated in plastic so they toss them in fires or acid. The other pollutants just seep into the ground and contaminate ground water while the plastics never really break down.

Last I heard most developed nations where working on legislation that stops or limits this practice.

Some pics about the effects of E-waste in India.
    http://www.sophiegerrard.com/SophieStoriesEwaste6.html

Some reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1108_051108_electronic_waste.html

But I guess this is just more alarmist environmentalist BS we can ignore. =P

Great links; always found this to be a very interesting, and rather disturbing, topic. The 2006 documentary Manufactured Landscapes, a film about the work of photographer Edward Burtynsky, also delves into this subject with some very powerful imagery.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Ipad is brutal. I wish in my dreams that there was a VERY POWERFUL proper tablet PC with a MONGO huge screen that I could do all my work on while in my snuggie slouching on my couch eating pizza from the box doing bm and sitting in my own filth. Star Trek Enterprise has the best intro song EVER.
  • iatriki
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickfart.jpg

haha, seeing that, plus the thread title itself semi-forces me to do this:
    http://www.spiffychaps.com/2010/02/03/a-special-message-from-apple/

our response to the iPad

really not the greatest thing apple could release. at least a camera, let alone multi-tasking?

im waiting to see HP slate in action
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Massive necro I know, but there isn't an ipad 2 specific thread that I found.

I'm trying to get video from a PC to the ipad 2 without software like itunes, and it's driving me nuts. Has anyone managed it? I'd be willing to jailbreak it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Why wouldn't you use iTunes?

Serious question here - I don't understand why you would purchase an Apple product and then not use the software that comes with it to manage the device. iTunes handles all of that stuff wonderfully.

Is there some serious advantage to avoiding using iTunes to load your iDevice that I'm not seeing?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    try to transfer video from comuputer to Ipad, most wouldnt works. itunes only works for mp3.

images and video? sucks :3 ,.,, the most backward file management I ve ever seen .,..... ( can't even create folder, delete folder/images for ipad images that I added through itunes hahhaha)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ghostscape wrote: »

Serious question here - I don't understand why you would purchase an Apple product and then not use the software that comes with it to manage the device. iTunes handles all of that stuff wonderfully.

Is there some serious advantage to avoiding using iTunes to load your iDevice that I'm not seeing?

I don't have a computer at the moment, thats why. Videos would be on an external and I would use a net cafe to transfer, but I can't install programs not on a net cafe computer.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    Massive necro I know, but there isn't an ipad 2 specific thread that I found.

I'm trying to get video from a PC to the ipad 2 without software like itunes, and it's driving me nuts. Has anyone managed it? I'd be willing to jailbreak it.

Its not the perfect solution but if you use dropbox you can plop a .mov in there and then view it on your ipad/iphone with the dropbox app. You can save images from the dropbox app to the camera roll and i'm pretty sure you can do it with movies as well but haven't tried.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Ghostscape wrote: »

There was a bug last year that crashed iTunes on Windows when you tried to sync videos to the device. I never had problems with iTunes when i was just managing music on my PC, but the whole sync thing is messy and can be frustrating.

I ended up buying a $2 app called PhotoSync that enables you to transfer photos & videos from PC to iPad via wi-fi.