Home General Discussion

Flame Game Thread

You guys can rip any game to shreds here. The official Halo Reach forum is about information regarding the game but last few posts are anything but.
There are other game threads here, but none of them has anything negative about the game per say except the Halo one. So that's why I started this one.

I'll start.

Bayonetta sucks. Borrowed it from a friend and hated it. I just couldn't see what was going on the screen the whole time, way to many things happen at one time, made my head numb.

EDIT:
adam wrote: »
Hey guys,

We love that you guys are chatting about games and what you didn't like about them. But please, we ask that you keep it constructive. There's *many* professionals in this community and to shit all over a game they may have worked on, in the end, puts you in a bad spot (not them) - especially if its the artwork you disagree with.

So.. hate away, just try and keep it civil and constructive whenever possible. If it gets out of line once - just once - we'll let that person know they were out of line and deal with it accordingly.

Replies

• Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    To make this not a complete bash thread, why not post a little more than it just sucks? Also if it's one game I just can't play for the life of me.
    972903-554990_front_large.jpg
    This game was my Dave Mirra alternative at the time and the controls can frustrate the most peaceful of people.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    SyedS wrote: »
    but last few posts are anything but.

I'll assume that's directed towards me? I wasn't being negative towards Halo, just insisting it could use some new life. :)

As for a new game that sucks - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. I'd rather have a steaming turd on my desk than play this game again. It's an embarrassment to the Flashpoint franchise.
    It's entirely geared towards consoles. Horrible UI, horrible AI, weapons are atrocious, FOV is ridiculously shallow and non-customizable, graphics are all brown and TOO MUCH F'N BLOOM. It's arcadey to hell, not a realistic shooter like it's OFP namesake infers.
  • SyedS
    Vassago wrote: »
    I'll assume that's directed towards me? I wasn't being negative towards Halo, just insisting it could use some new life.
    i wouldn't say it was directed towards you. like a lot of people jumped the boat and i know many more would in a couple of days so better make it now then later :)
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    "I don't understand why people always feel critics are a bad thing or negative. If I criticize your work it means I already feel that its cool and has potential, and that I just want it to be the best work it can be. Nothing personal."

and that included comments on large games like halo.
  • SyedS
    ZacD wrote: »
    "I don't understand why people always feel critics are a bad thing or negative. If I criticize your work it means I already feel that its cool and has potential, and that I just want it to be the best work it can be. Nothing personal."

and that included comments on large games like halo.
    I understand where your coming from and believe in it. I gave an artist critique on a mock game on deviant art because I felt he could push it to the next level. But I was wrong, he blocked me and I got pissed.

But this thread isn't generally about critiques, it just posting up games you dislike and why.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Every Zelda game ever sucks. Everyone loves them and I don't know why. You like playing a green elf named Zelda? That is dumb. I played it and I just ran around and died, it was lame.
  • bounchfx
    Bayonetta sucks. Borrowed it from a friend and hated it. I just couldn't see what was going on the screen the whole time, way to many things happen at one time, made my head numb.

I refuse to endorse this thread when the OP can't even appreciate one of the best action games ever made.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Vassago wrote: »
    As for a new game that sucks - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. I'd rather have a steaming turd on my desk than play this game again. It's an embarrassment to the Flashpoint franchise.

This. Tried the demo a while back, and talk about a frustratingly-shit game. As I recall, my favorite bit of dumbassery was the way it handled weapon/ammo switching... I've got my M16 equipped, and I want to launch an HEDP grenade from the underslung M203 launcher, so I switch to M203 which is loaded with HE grenades. Hit weapon switch again to unload the HE and load HEDP. Fire off a round, watch the reload animation. Weapon switch. Watch as it unloads the HEDP and loads a different 40mm. Weapon switch. Ah, there we go, back to M16. Shoot a bit more, I want to fire another HEDP grenade. Weapon switch. watch it unload 40mm and load HE again. Weapon switch. Unload HE, load HEDP.

WHO THE FUCK GREENLIT THAT?!
  • SyedS
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I refuse to endorse this thread when the OP can't even appreciate one of the best action games ever made.
    I guess I don't like button mashers then
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    kp: he's called link! and i kinda liked them :).
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    Link?:O Why do they call it Zelda?

I prefer mashing buttons. I hate games that make me hit buttons at certain times. Even worse is when I have to hit multiple buttons simultaneously and in order.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelda's the princess. :p
  • Sean VanGorder
    I guess I don't like button mashers then

Or you could at least try to pull off one of the countless combos, which is how the game is meant to be played, rather than mindlessly mash buttons.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    The princess's name was Toadstool?
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    Toadstool was the aka name for Peach... Mario's princess. :p
  • Sean VanGorder
    The princess's name was Toadstool?

I thought Toadstool was the guy with the mustache and the green hat?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys,

We love that you guys are chatting about games and what you didn't like about them. But please, we ask that you keep it constructive. There's *many* professionals in this community and to shit all over a game they may have worked on, in the end, puts you in a bad spot (not them) - especially if its the artwork you disagree with.

So.. hate away, just try and keep it civil and constructive whenever possible. If it gets out of line once - just once - we'll let that person know they were out of line and deal with it accordingly.

Oh... and Shadow Complex just hit a sour spot with me. Fucking *loved* the game up until
    I figure out I need to run around and collect all 12 of the KEY COMPONENTS. Fuuuuck I just want to be done with the game.

Assassin's Creed 2 did this as well.
    Gets you all the way to the end of the story just to tell you to collect all of these trinkets you may have thought were for achievement whores the entire time.
    Grr!

killingpeople you better hand in your gamer card. "A green elf named Zelda?" Facepalm!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I don't have the energy to hate on games but here's a couple that I don't like that millions of people do.

Modern Warfare and WoW (although I sometimes play this one, it's love/hate)

I don't understand the obsessions. Neither of those games do much for me. I can think of many examples of games in both genres that I enjoy more than these two, however they are crazily popular. What's the appeal? Why are these games so much more widely enjoyed?
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Alone in the Dark was so disappointing, I died a little inside. The visuals looked really moody and atmospheric, the first game was so awesome and the inventory system was genuinely different - so why did the controls and combat have to be so clunky and awkward?

Such a missed opportunity. :'(
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    The latest prince of persia...
    1st minute: WOW! This game looks good even though its almost a year old now!
    4 minutes later: So I have to press the right buttons to cross this area to the boss...
    1 minute later: Wow, everytime I die, I dont REALLY die, but just have to repeat the last part because I pressed the wrong button!
    9 minutes later: ahhh.. To beat this boss I need to use only grab when he starts glowing!
    The rest of the 10 hours of gameplay: repeat first 15 minutes 40 times.

That game had more grinding than a Korean MMO! The game has so much polish, but the inital game isnt even fun... its like they took 10% of the time for the initial gameplay and 90% was the polish phase
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Love/hate:

bioshock-cover.jpg

but as a big time shock fan you might see where I'm getting at with the gameplay.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha, this won't go well :P
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Every Zelda game ever sucks. Everyone loves them and I don't know why. You like playing a green elf named Zelda? That is dumb. I played it and I just ran around and died, it was lame.

Zelda 64 killed the series for me. Zelda 2 was an underrated masterpiece in my opinion.

And Eld, i agree with the Bioshock statement, in fact the bioshock 2 thread in this forum is pretty negative about the future of the franchise. So as not to offend the fragile flowers in this forum, the graphics, atmosphere and storytelling in Bioshock are awesome, but yes, the gameplay and upgrade system suck nuts :D
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    they should just get it over with and make it an on-rails shooter with the most awesome visuals and depressingly intelligent interludes.

(ps, I'd still play it)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie wrote: »
    1st minute: WOW! This game looks good even though its almost a year old now!
    4 minutes later: So I have to press the right buttons to cross this area to the boss...
    1 minute later: Wow, everytime I die, I dont REALLY die, but just have to repeat the last part because I pressed the wrong button!
    9 minutes later: ahhh.. To beat this boss I need to use only grab when he starts glowing!
    The rest of the 10 hours of gameplay: repeat first 15 minutes 40 times.

That game had more grinding than a Korean MMO! The game has so much polish, but the inital game isnt even fun... its like they took 10% of the time for the initial gameplay and 90% was the polish phase
    Prince of Persia 2008 has more in common with Guitar Hero than Tomb Raider (or whatever other 3d platformer you'd care to mention). Once you get your head around that, it's quite enjoyable.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I didnt like final fantasy,any of them. Got final fantasy XII Love the art, love the story, bought the movie and have a character model on my desk but really cant be bothered to play the game, it is so incredibly boring. apparently millions of people really think that navigating through loads of menus during battle scenes is fun :P
  • Clockwork
    Gets you all the way to the end of the story just to tell you to collect all of these trinkets you may have thought were for achievement whores the entire time.
    Grr!

What I seriously, fucking, can't stand, is how there's achievement shit in games, this new trend of playing for points/gamerscore and achievement is not cool with me, if I could just ignore it, fine. But I can't. It's fucking intrusive, and it's breaking the immersion in games I'd otherwise love.

I don't want games telling me that this is a game every minute, I just want to zone out and get lost in another world.

I also can't stand this Games for Windows shit, having to make online accounts and sign in to play and be able to save my games. What the fuck.

It's no wonder PC gaming has gone downhill bigtime.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Clockwork wrote: »
    What I seriously, fucking, can't stand, is how there's achievement shit in games, this new trend of playing for points/gamerscore and achievement is not cool with me, if I could just ignore it, fine. But I can't. It's fucking intrusive, and it's breaking the immersion in games I'd otherwise love.
    A friend of mine, who is a games reviewer, told me that all games on the XBox 360 have to have achievements. It still isn't an excuse for intrusive ones (Fallout 3's leaving-the-vault comes to mind).

Back on topic, most of the games I play these days seem to be unlikeable, so I'll just go with what I'm playing now: Mass Effect. I'm only about eight hours in, and dear Greentooth, is it bland. You've got all these people willing to share information about their race and culture, but what it eventually comes down to is that the lives of all races revolve around talking with each other on the Citadel. Show, don't tell, please. Or do both, but just telling me stuff and never showing it isn't why I play video games. The Keepers are the most interesting race yet, I think, because they actually show their personality.
    There is also a ridiculous amount of fake choices. Again, eight hours in, I don't think I've had to make any real choice. Example:
    "No, Garrus, I don't want you in my team, I don't trust aliens and I've only just met you"
    "You'll need me"

*Garrus has joined the team*
    "No, Tali, I don't want you in my team, I don't trust aliens, I've only just met you, and you're wearing a gas mask (don't trust anyone with a gas mask, is what fighting Nazis taught me)."
    "C'mon, Shepard, take her"

*Tali has joined the team*
    "No, Liara, I don't want you in my team, I don't trust aliens, I've only just met you, and you seem to be an idiot"
    "I'm not an idiot, this is a one-time occurrence"

*Liara has joined the team*
    Come on! If you're a shooter, find some decent combat mechanics. If you're an RPG, quit playing my role for me! In Arcanum, at least, I can finish the game while stabbing everyone before they even say a word (well, some people initiate dialogue if you approach them, so you can only stab them after you've insulted them).
    Mostly though, I dislike that I haven't met a single likeable character... The most interesting one is my Shepard, being a sort of Space-Francis ("I hate Citadels", "I hate Asari", "I hate Spectres"), but the character I'm trying to play is constantly ignored and I'm forced into being a happy, alien loving, Citadel lapdog. Which, again, wouldn't be so bad if other people actually had any character, but they're as standard and same-y as the architecture.

Ok, I'm done.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Grr!

i would disagree with this one. granted you do get trophies for this noise, but they're all part of the story, and it is made very obvious as such throughout the cutscenes and memory markers in the beginning of the game. if you didn't catch on to that, then shame on you for not paying attention. :P
    (the mission of collecting the feathers for his brother, his uncle showing him the armor and the map and Rebecca even telling you to collect the armor to be in perfect synchronization, and why wouldn't you want to locate the hidden "The Truth" markings and see the video?!?!? those cyphers were fun yo!

i enjoyed the aspect of collecting everything very much since it really allowed me to move around the environment more than i would have in the previous title. personally, i felt compelled
    to complete the codex map (send in the whore's!), obtain Alta
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Absolutely signed on those achievements. I mean does any one feel happy when your game tells:

"Congratulations you've completed the tutorial. You are a real Hero"

I'm waiting for an achievement to reward me for navigation through the title screen.
    And I'm waiting for dumpnuts to ranting about games that just don't offer achievements. Like "What am I supposed to do? Why even bother playing ..."

Meanwhile I think about a short list of games I really don't like and the reasons.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Bioshock could never beat System Shock 2.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    I'm waiting for an achievement to reward me for navigation through the title screen.

On the off chance you haven't played this yet: Achievement Unlocked
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    LoTekK wrote: »
    On the off chance you haven't played this yet: Achievement Unlocked

nice one. :)
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    achievements should be a tearfilled moment where you did the impossible, be it accidently or planned, just to have some kind of evidence about it.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Bioshock was, at best, a mediocre fps. I don't understand the love.

After beating Fable 2, I realized I didn't actually ever have fun playing it.

Mass Effect flirted with being flat-out boring, and their no-reward side missions made me feel stupid after completing them all.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    Has there ever been a game made for the xbox 360 that was good yet? When does the ps3 come out?
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the Zelda series. After the 64 came out, it only went downhill. Twilight Princess bored the hell out of me (lose the wolf shit) and Phantom Hourglass was an absolute trainwreck (that damn temple that you had to do over and over and over again!). Wind Waker was about the only recent (sorta) Zelda game that I liked...

The only games I really enjoyed for the 360 were: Gears and Gears 2 (as long as I didn't play multiplayer, only because I suck), Modern Warfare (because multiplayer was easy :P) and Fallout 3 (I know, I know, most hated it, but I enjoyed it. Just do the side missions or the game is SUPER short).
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Has there ever been a game made for the xbox 360 that was good yet? When does the ps3 come out?

L2P Dead Rising, nub
  • KateC
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    kwakkie wrote: »

Them's fightin' words. I loved the visuals so hard that it made the crazy quicktime events bearable.

I couldn't play Fallout 3. The whole world just depressed so much that it was no fun to be in. Which I suppose is sort of like a backwards compliment - it just means they really achieved the bleakness they were going for.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Worlds is the worst game in human history

<3 Sectaurs
  • MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Zelda twilight princess on the Wii, visuals are way too muddy for me and i keep falling off ledges and get rewarded with instant death way too often, only to be launched back to the beginning of some merciless platform jumping shitstorm. Alas, I am obsessive and must finish it.

Characters look really cool though and i enjoy the music.
  • Mark Dygert
    It's almost never the art that bugs me, normally its design, controls and game play that drive me to put the controller down.

All the great art in the world won't make up for bad mechanics. But great mechanics can make up for some sloppy art.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I hate Oblivion its the promise of a great game but doesnt deliver, its left up to the mods to try and reach higher. I enjoyed the hours of tweaking to get it to run perfectly on my system but when I played it I got quickly bored with the copy paste nature of the world.(It was very pretty though)