Home General Discussion

Another "Help!" thread!

Hullo!

I know that this question might have been asked before, but I made sure that what I want to know was not available in many threads posted before, so I decided to put up a new thread for it.

I am about to graduate in 3d Animation and VFX soon, needless to say, there was no knowledge bestowed upon me regarding game-art-dev-etc. throughout the time I was studying. Neither any traditional requisites were fulfilled, which are, ofcourse, inevitable for an artist in the industry.

That being said, I have been planning to decide to move to the U.S. of A soon after I am done with my current course. And I have heard, that as far as I don't care what I wear, I am good for long in the US :P

So I would be glad to get more information on which schools offer a cheap short term course which can be useful to me, in game-art or traditional art, also what locations should I prefer for cheap survival costs considering availability of job prospects afterwards, and such.

I will have to let the banks fund my overseas education though, and that is one of the main reasons that I don't want to choose an extensive course structure with a relatively exorbitant price tag.

I am sure there are loaaads of Polycounters from USA, much love :P

Danke for any halp!
Cheers!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    first off show us your portfolio or some of your work, and what do you want to do exactly in games.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly the best education tool is already at your finger tips. If you're interested in learning a short course primer, I'd recommend using the online training that is offered on places like CGSociety or GnomonWorkshop. As for relocating, you may just waste your time. Just use that time and effort into studying all types of art and also frequenting forums such as these. When you're looking at wireframes or following a tutorial. Don't just arbitrarily follow it step by step without giving it a though. Ask yourself why the topology is built the way it is, gain knowledge of largely used engines such as Source, Unreal, or Aurora. And I'm not saying you can't learn anything like game art in a formal atmosphere, I'm just saying there is all of that and more if you just look for it. Work a steady job, build your reel, and keep at it.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I do not have a portfolio ready, I am currently working on it. But you can check my Deviantart if you may wish to.

Here is a movie me and a friend of mine worked on. ~ [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxwjO_GrBuU"]Immortality[/ame] . I worked on almost every aspect of it, and the CG environment (this might not look as convincing :P) was my primary concern.

Environment art is what I want to do.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows wrote: »
    Honestly the best education tool is already at your finger tips. If you're interested in learning a short course primer, I'd recommend using the online training that is offered on places like CGSociety or GnomonWorkshop. As for relocating, you may just waste your time. Just use that time and effort into studying all types of art and also frequenting forums such as these. When you're looking at wireframes or following a tutorial. Don't just arbitrarily follow it step by step without giving it a though. Ask yourself why the topology is built the way it is, gain knowledge of largely used engines such as Source, Unreal, or Aurora. And I'm not saying you can't learn anything like game art in a formal atmosphere, I'm just saying there is all of that and more if you just look for it. Work a steady job, build your reel, and keep at it.

I understand, and I think I am past that stage of what my basic approach towards game-art should be. I have already fiddled around with different engines - and I was just checking the how to's for UDK. But the industry is not the same everywhere, in order to grow, as I want to very much, I have come to know by my past experiences, that surroundings are the biggest influence, and one major purpose of my moving to US is just that, and even if I may resist the same where I am right now, I won't be able to progress and get where I want to, I hope you get what I mean. I have been spending most my time lurking around PC, GA and CGS since past 2 years already.

That is what I think. I maybe wrong. Feel free to correct.

And more insights please :)

Cheers!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    If I could do the whole school thing all over again I probably would go this route. http://www.futurepoly.com/courses.html
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't think your too far from being able to build a portfolio and landing a job. You just need to finish up some stuff and polish the pieces. A building, an interior and some props.

Your Tavern looks nice http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69171 just finish it, if you need help just post and questions in the thread, I'd be more than happy to try to help too, if you pm'd or im'd me.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    If I could do the whole school thing all over again I probably would go this route. http://www.futurepoly.com/courses.html
    Quite good, it seems.

But I don't think certificate courses qualify for a Student Visa, nor will the banks grant a loan for them..

It's more like I am using the education criteria for its side-effects as well :P
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't think your too far from being able to build a portfolio and landing a job. You just need to finish up some stuff and polish the pieces. A building, an interior and some props.

Your Tavern looks nice http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69171 just finish it, if you need help just post and questions in the thread, I'd be more than happy to try to help too, if you pm'd or im'd me.
    Thank you.

Yes, I will finish it soon, my monitor broke two days ago, just got it fixed :P , So in the meanwhile I thought about my plans for the future, hence the questions in this thread.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    griffinax wrote: »
    Ah, I do not have a portfolio ready, I am currently working on it. But you can check my Deviantart if you may wish to.

Here is a movie me and a friend of mine worked on. ~ Immortality . I worked on almost every aspect of it, and the CG environment (this might not look as convincing :P) was my primary concern.

Environment art is what I want to do.

Wow...I am surprized ZacD didnt crit on your video...I was really looking forward to it.

Anyways, there is a game development program at IAOD you should look in to. http://www.academy.edu/

Also, This website should provide you the stuff you need to fine-tune your skills. This along with Traditional CG you should google sites like:

www.gamedev.net

If you are willing learn traditional CG is following:
    OpenGL.
    DirectX.

If you only love OO environment you should stick to 3ds max, maya, Zbrush. UDK.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Wow...I am surprized ZacD didnt crit on your video...I was really looking forward to it.

Anyways, there is a game development program at IAOD you should look in to. http://www.academy.edu/

Also, This website should provide you the stuff you need to fine-tune your skills. This along with Traditional CG you should google sites like:

www.gamedev.net

If you are willing learn traditional CG is following:
    OpenGL.
    DirectX.

If you only love OO environment you should stick to 3ds max, maya, Zbrush. UDK.

Haha. I thought he would :P

Aha, thanks for the link. The game production course looks very tempting. I would like to know how does the financial system for educational institutions work though, and how will I be able to fund it on my own for the consecutive years of the remaining period after the first year.. I am sorry, just too many questions ><

Just Environments :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Nitewalkr I don't post on polycount to make enemies, to be rude, or tear people apart.
    I post cause I'm part of a community of artists and and I want to help people improve their skills, and learn somethings myself. And looking at some awesome art. Every artist needs to know how to take and receive criticism. There's no one on PC that I dislike or look down upon. Everyone here are my peers, I try to respectful, but that doesn't always happen. I don't like to sugar coat comments and just give praise.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt say anything about you making enemy ZacD, I like your crits and looking forward to have you crit on my work so I can fine-tune my own stuff. Your comments so far I've read are legit and give the original poster more to do on his character, or a scene.

I apologyze if you took any of my post as an offence. But ya I do love questioning people most of the times so I would know what they could've done in terms of that.
    take our previous discussion in job interview thread for example.

I know that you have a class here, and I too am not trying to be disrespectful to you or anyone on PC. Just keep that in mind when you read my posts. I feel that everyone here is everyone elses friends and helping each other out in terms of their work and so on.

PS: where did this "I dont come here to make enemies" came from may I ask?

@Griffinax: If you are just arriving to USA and wanting to study CG and all...well at VFS and AOD in Canada it would cost around 25k-40k for entire course...That was 25k-30k for 3d graphics design program and 40k for game development program.....These are private colleges and would require cash on hand. I havent gone through "student loan" part with them.

You will have to look up for USA prices. Also please do not stick with one option..There are many other institutes in USA that are willing to offer a cheaper price than that.

EDIT: Also I would strongly suggust you to do self-pace learning. Even though the courses are really tempting. Keep on practicing and eventually you will understand how CG works and traditional CG also.

I read books on my own, and read online. Reading on polycount is another mild essence to me to learn what other people did and how they did it.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    It seems to me that you're more concerned with paying for a course in the States for the purposes of remaining in the country and landing a job.

Do you honestly feel that you need a course to develop your skills? Your 3D work shows potential, and many courses won't offer you much beyond what you either already have a basic knowledge of, or could teach yourself.

Unless your work is pretty stellar, a studio in America probably wouldn't go through the nightmarish hassles with immigration when there's such an ample domestic workforce already looking for jobs. I don't even know if you can work while studying on an F1 visa.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    PS: where did this "I dont come here to make enemies" came from may I ask?
    Ah sorry from my last post then.
    Its hard to judge the context and how people mean comments without voices on the inter-webs, I just kinda thought that was meant to be a kick to the gut. Glad to see we're on the same page.

/end derailing thread
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I was being serious about you critizing his video..and looking forward to know what would you suggust him. =\

anyways.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    It seems to me that you're more concerned with paying for a course in the States for the purposes of remaining in the country and landing a job.

Do you honestly feel that you need a course to develop your skills? Your 3D work shows potential, and many courses won't offer you much beyond what you either already have a basic knowledge of, or could teach yourself.

Unless your work is pretty stellar, a studio in America probably wouldn't go through the nightmarish hassles with immigration when there's such an ample domestic workforce already looking for jobs. I don't even know if you can work while studying on an F1 visa.
    Yes, I was.

No I don't feel I need to learn anything anymore technically in order to progress from here. Yes I can keep on teaching myself with the help of places like these, and I know that I would not be an oxymoron if I keep at it.

I understand absolutely. They let you work after 9 months - 1 year of your academic progress under a few different categories under the international law system.

I am still deducing the speculations.

Thank you for the replies.

Cheers!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Quite a few new additions to polycount lately, it's kind of exciting :) and welcome to the states!

I'm going to say it straight out, your portfolio doesn't have anywhere near what it takes to make it in the industry, you'll learn why when you keep at it. But you're on the right path posting on polycount. You show some raw talent and passion, that's the best start you can hope to have. No one makes the jump on their own right away.

Like Gallows said, a lot of what you need to succeed is online, but school doesn't hurt. It's up to you to decide what you want to do. I don't think i'd be as close to making it as i am if i didn't go to school, it keeps you on your toes and it's a long road to making it, networking helps. Say what you want about student loans and all the less desirable classes, it'll lock you in on what you want to do whether you're ready to back out or not. I feel like i sold my soul away to student loans and i'm glad because who knows if i would have given up if this was just a hobby and i could just fade away into a 9 to 5 job.

Regardless of what education you choose, or not choose, the eat3d and gnomon dvd's are a huge help. Spend the money, they're many times more worth their weight in gold to an aspiring game artist and peak around hourences site for UT3 help :
    http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm

Best advice i can give, jump in. Think of each piece as your gateway into the industy, it wont be, but try to prove us wrong with some mind blowing sh*t.

Keep posting whatever you do dude. Part of it is getting the knowledge of where to plant your feet, where to learn, what to do and it's great that you're doing that, but the majority of it is going to be slamming your head against the wall and coming back for more. Hope to see you in the pimping and preview, where we'll tell you how horrible your art is. If you can take that and keep working, you might have a shot. Welcome to polycount :D
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quite a few new additions to polycount lately, it's kind of exciting :) and welcome to the states!

I'm going to say it straight out, your portfolio doesn't have anywhere near what it takes to make it in the industry, you'll learn why when you keep at it. But you're on the right path posting on polycount. You show some raw talent and passion, that's the best start you can hope to have. No one makes the jump on their own right away.

Like Gallows said, a lot of what you need to succeed is online, but school doesn't hurt. It's up to you to decide what you want to do. I don't think i'd be as close to making it as i am if i didn't go to school, it keeps you on your toes and it's a long road to making it, networking helps. Say what you want about student loans and all the less desirable classes, it'll lock you in on what you want to do whether you're ready to back out or not. I feel like i sold my soul away to student loans and i'm glad because who knows if i would have given up if this was just a hobby and i could just fade away into a 9 to 5 job.

Regardless of what education you choose, or not choose, the eat3d and gnomon dvd's are a huge help. Spend the money, they're many times more worth their weight in gold to an aspiring game artist and peak around hourences site for UT3 help :
    http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm

Best advice i can give, jump in. Think of each piece as your gateway into the industy, it wont be, but try to prove us wrong with some mind blowing sh*t.

Keep posting whatever you do dude. Part of it is getting the knowledge of where to plant your feet, where to learn, what to do and it's great that you're doing that, but the majority of it is going to be slamming your head against the wall and coming back for more. Hope to see you in the pimping and preview, where we'll tell you how horrible your art is. If you can take that and keep working, you might have a shot. Welcome to polycount :D
    Thanks a lot! This thread totally slipped out of my attention :\
    I am very sure that PC will make me better :)
    Cheers for the advice!