Home Technical Talk

a newbish question ><

Binxx
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Binxx polycounter lvl 9
For some odd reason I can't seem to export my obj file into z brush, or it does but says that i don't have all quads... i was wondering if there was anything in Maya which could check for 5 sided poly or triangles, so I could make all quads. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Shift+RMB over your model in Maya
    go down to Cleanup
    this will pull up an options menu
    in the Fix by Tesselation section, select only the "Faces with more than 4 sides" box
    Hit Cleanup at the bottom
    You will see your mesh go into Face component mode
    The faces with more than 4 sides will be highlighted in orange and they will now be triangulated.
    Take note of one or two of the n-gon areas you have, and undo the cleanup.
    Focus on one area at a time. Go through and manually use other tools like Split Polygon, Merge Vert, etc. to make that n-gon a Poly. You may have to create new topology over a certain degree of your mesh to maintain a clean edgeflow.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Wow that did the trick! Thanks a ton, your a life saver!
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    also I believe zbrush will convert them for you, I dont remember exactly what it says but choose the first option - convert to quads and triangles and it will do it for you, then you can re-export that base mesh and it will be all quads and tris - if its a game model then it will work well, if its not then Fireberts method is best.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    There's another way to do it in maya which offers more control.

Select>Select Using Constraints

Set it to current and next selection, go into face selection mode. Now you have a bunch of options available to choose from. Select Nsided, Triangles or whatever you want depending on your needs. Then make a selection over the entire mesh and only the ngons, triangles or whatever will be highlighted. Then fix them and export again. :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know it should be apparent to me, but how is this done in max (select triangles on mesh)