Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Skatepark

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MRico polycounter lvl 10
Well, instead of spamming the "what are you working on" thread...decided to start my own to show my progress on my skatepark...

I would like to actually make it playable later on...but that's a really long time from now since my experience with UTE3/UDK...or any game engine for that matter, started when UDK came out just a few months ago...got me lots to learn!

Anyways...I started blocking out the level in UDK but it's still pretty crappy to show anyone...so I wanted to show what I have so far....

*Update*
Skateboard_UDK_06.jpgSkateboard_UDK_05.jpg
*END*

skateboard_3dsmax_high.jpg
skateboard_unreal-1.jpg
skateboard_3dsmax_wire.jpg

....there's actually an updated model with less triangles under 2.5k I think and a different texture...just can't find the fucking image. :poly127:

Started on some random assets...

Pallet_02.jpg
Lamp_01.jpg

Hoping to get the low poly + maps done by sunday night.

Anyways, any crits or comments are appreciated!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The wood thing needs work, 256 is pretty small for a pretty large asset. And the texture is bland.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    The top and bottom boards on that pallet are pretty thick and that skateboard is pretty high-poly, especially on the bottom. You may want to make the wood coming through on the bottom have more scratches around the edges. Other than those things, this looks like pretty solid work. Keep it up.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You need to apply bumps to skid and make the edges more Jagged.

ZacD is correct.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good

The wear on the skateboard should have a sharper transition between the wood and paint, right now it looks a bit too soft blended. You might want to add a few deeper gouges with your normal map as well.

The wood palette could easily use a 512 no problem, or find a way to tile/stack UVs with a 256. A non-square texture might make a better fit as well. I'm not certain but you might be able to get away with letting Unreal handle the AO so you don't need to worry about getting it all nice and layered on your diffuse. Just have some good 2nd channel lightmap UVs to bake to.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD - Thanks for the feedback Zac, I'll go ahead and work some more on the pallet.

Swizzle - Thanks man, I have an updated skateboard just couldn't find it. I'll post it up and let me know what you think. I hit most of your points with it. I'll go ahead and make those adjustments to the pallet.

Nitewalkr - I'll see if I can hit those changes.

Ben Apuna - I'll post a pic of the update skateboard later today...if I can find the model itself. Let me know what you think of the paint. I'm going to add a few deeper gouges like you said though.

The pallet is currently stacked up on the 256, I only unwrapped 3 of the planks and one side plank and duplicated them and rotated them to not see the mirror uv.

I think the pallets look good when you're actually playing the level...but I think most of you guys want a bigger texture size?

I'll post an image of it in game with the 256 and 512 to see the difference.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help guys!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the palette looks good ingame that's all that really matters.

One thing you want to watch out for as you continue forward with your level is keeping the pixel density consistent on all of your textures.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Well, here's an update....Worked more on the skateboard texture and created the low-poly lamp and textures.

Skateboard_UDK_02.jpg
    Skateboard_UDK_01.jpg
    Skateboard_3dsmax_01.jpg
    Lamp_UDK_01.jpg
    Lamp_UDK_02.jpg

Man...still a whole bunch of stuff I need to model!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    the skateboard looks sick! nice job!
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    roosterMAP thanks a lot dude!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Solid work on the board but the quality makes certain problems stand out that much more in some places. The scratches one the center underside of the board look a bit too uniform. Even for the most consistent of riders there would still be a clear favoring of shifting weight to one side or another.

On that note the scratches on the tail should be a bit longer and more noisy on the tail as people tend to do more manuals than nose-manuals and tend to drag the board a bit when they lean back as seen here.

28740511_bfd07e7f58.jpg

Also the dirt on the griptape looks kinda blury. If it's a seperate layer I think you could easily fix it by bringing down the opacity.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    MattQ thanks dude, yeah you're right about the scratches. I'll see if I can fix those up later today.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    also notice in MattQ86's picture that the scratches are not super deep like you have them. I would think if the skater had that many deep cuts in it the board would snap in half. I would personally go more worn...less cuts if that makes sense. Good stuff. Again this is yours those are my 2 cents.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? They look fine (in terms of depth) to me. Most boards are 7 different layers of wood layed with the grains against each other. Really the only way to snap one is to curb-stomp it. The picture I posted doesn't have deep scratches on the center of the board because it has those dumb rails on the bottom, sporting equipment that will truly go down in history with those leather football helmets as what historians will call "fucking dumb".
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My skateboard looks about like that(the scratches). Only other thing I see that could be fixed up would be to make the scratches a little more random and add some more scratches to the nose and tail of the board. You do scratch the paint of those with nose/tail slides. Good work so far though.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    dudelan2001 thanks man. I think the deepnes of the scratches are ok. What I had before was too weak. These scratches are bit more realistic to the boards I used to have.

MattQ lol

Reefer Yeah, I thought the nose/tail were looking too clean. But you're right, they should be more worn out and thanks dude!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    The update looks good! Keep working on it and you will eventually have the real-time texture on it.

Good luck.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    The problem i see with those scratches is that they are all perfectly perpendicular. Also i do think they're too deep, but eves, it's minor compared to the pattern.

200320506-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=AE53C3BF53E60C07E8B7C4C5A02E05511F6F6178A68B340Cmypencil-skateboards.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85965115@N00/2539177399/
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree. I skateboard myself, and some of the wear you have is ok, but it shouldn't be all that uniform in the middle. Some random scratches at angles would be good. Not heavy though, just thin scratches from the board flying and hitting something or whatever.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Oh skateboarding, what a great sport. These guys are right about the straches, but that's an easy fix. The light looks good to me. Can't wait to see this finished.

I wish I still skated =\
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I lived in a town where all the ledges, parking blocks and streets weren't made out of a mixture of cheap cement, fishbowl gravel and kitty litter.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Hey at least you don't live in a large city where most ledges have skate stoppers on them. And the skateparks are overpriced and shrouded with elitist owners and cliques. But I still love skating here, lots of ways to get creative.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just like doing street skating, I don't like the parks myself. I have one next to work though I might ride, it's free, but kinda small.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I appreciate all the help and crit you guys are giving me. I'm listening and taking in all of your guy's input....so here's an update. There's no Spec...er, I think it's the one from the old board...forgot to change it in UDK.

Also, forgot the scratch marks from wheel bite.

What do you guys think?
    Skateboard_UDK_04.jpgSkateboard_UDK_03.jpg
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking so much better. Just work on that truck to get it looking metallic and a bit flakey.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Well, I think the skateboard is finish...or at least for now. There's so much else I need to model so wanted to get cracking on other things...here's the final images...

Skateboard_UDK_06.jpgSkateboard_UDK_05.jpgskateboard_3dsmax_wire_01.jpg
    Random truck image...
    Skateboard_trucks_high.jpg

Ok, well here's another model I started...

FireHydrant_01-1.jpg

I have a question about the Fire Hydrant...will the normals come out ok if the pieces are intersecting like that? Or should it be modeled as one piece?

Anyways, crits and comments appreciated!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Separate pieces work fine (most of the time).

You can also bake pieces separately, too.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    that last board is a huge improvement. well done
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skateboard is looking much better.

About the fire hydrant, intersecting in this case will get you most of the details and is much faster to do. It'll probably work better if you also plan to intersect the low poly model as well. Like ZacD mentioned it'll help if you are baking separate parts.

However you will miss getting that nice smooth intersecting edge that happens between metal cylinders that get welded together. It can be a pita sometimes to merge cylinders of differing sizes.

It really just comes down to where you want to spend your time. If it was a "hero" prop I'd say don't intersect.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I love the level of detail that's gone into the skateboards. The textures look great.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, this may not be extremely helpful, but this site shows a lot of designs that are some of the best skateparks I've ever seen.

http://suburbanrails.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/PWDA.woa/wa/loadPage?pageId=1675

Also on a personal note, being a Houston skater this is my favorite skatepark in the world.

http://www.southsideskatepark.com/dnn/Skatepark/ParkPhotos/tabid/65/Default.aspx

Maybe some reference can give you some idea mojo. But digging the progress!
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD Cool, thanks man.

ralusek Thanks a lot dude!

Ben Thanks man! Yeah...I ended up joining the pieces together...I was looking at some references and yeah...I like that smooth transition, don't want to get an ugly sharp edge on the normals.

Ashley Thanks dud...er...chick? I've been wrong in the past calling dudes with the name Ashley, chicks before...sorry!

Gallows Freaking awesome, thanks a lot for those links man. They'll definitely come in handy!
  • erikb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll be interesting to see how you model the various pieces of a skate park, fairly simple shapes, ramps, railings, boxes, etc, but still a lot of different ways to go about modeling them.

Skateboard looks good.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    erikb Thanks dude! Yeah, I'm still not sure if I'm going with wood ramps or a concrete skatepark...but I'm leaning more towards wood ramps. They should be fairly easy, they're going to be modular as well.

Here's an update on the Fire Hydrant...I think I'm done with the high poly, I ended up connecting the pieces together...

FireHydrant_02.jpg
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool, you going to make a berrics style hydrant gap? thatd be pretty sweet!
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Ashley Thanks dud...er...chick? I've been wrong in the past calling dudes with the name Ashley, chicks before...sorry!

I'm a guy. Don't worry, it's not the first time I've been called a chick :icon15:
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    ES_139 Thanks dude! Ummm...I'm not familiar with it. I've only seen some of the "Battle of the Berrics" vids.

Ash Ok, cool...lol, I'm sorry about that.

Well....here's an update from me.

I think I might have gone a bit overboard with the wear and tear...I dunno, what do you guys think?

Fire_Hydrant_05.jpgFire_Hydrant_06.jpg
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Calling it done....time to move on...

Fire_Hydrant_09-2.jpgFire_Hydrant_10-2.jpg
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Sooo much better on that board. Keep on going. :)
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Start makin some ramps! HAHA Looking good so far, but I wanna see the fun stuff, the half pipes, the quarter pipes, the boxes, stuff that used to break my bones!