Home Technical Talk

Help detailing bricks on a pillar

Hey, so I have started to model my first ever object but I am having some problems detailing the bricks on it. :(. I have not really done much to it yet tbh, just looking to try and get the bricks looking right before adding extra details.

I have taken the model from max and am trying to detail it in zbrush, but I cannot seem to get the correct tool to get the look I want.

Using the mallet fast brush I have tried to chip away at the edges of the brick. Is that the best tool to be using or is there a better method to use?

Any idea why it looks so pixelated as well?
Should I model the bricks in max instead of zbrush?

bricksn.th.jpg

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Check out Kevin Johnstone's thread on how he works, it will help you out a lot:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62114&page=3

Look at post #56 and beyond.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the cause of the pixelation is most definately related to the basemesh topology, you probably do not have many loops along the long thin part of the pillar if this is meant to be in game, so you either need to make a version with more loops just for zbrush so you dont have to divide so much (then import the result back into max for the bake), or just keep dividing until theres enough detail on the thin part in zbrush (and bake in zbrush), this could take alot of dividing as there is unbalanced detail on your mesh (alot of loops and detail at the top and bottom, none in the middle.

This is all an assumption that your base mesh is made like i assume it is, posting wires might help.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I'd advise you to model the bricks separately, align them on a grid and then use Path Deform modifier to bend them into a circular shape. Kevin's thread is spot-on on that workflow.

Depending on how your bricks and column look like, you might want to export the whole column into Zbrush and sculpt some more details to get rid of uniform look; though it really depends on your base brick. Second Zbrush pass can be quicker, than rotating and scaling each brick, if your column/wall/etc. is huge.

Edit:

Your column is huge; I wouldn't worry about some small errors with that size.
    Take a look at Bram Eulaers' tutorial to see how details translate onto normal map. http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/generic_wall_tutorial/generic_wall_tutorial.html
  • John Mason
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Check out Kevin Johnstone's thread on how he works, it will help you out a lot:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62114&page=3

Look at post #56 and beyond.

Thanks Darth, it's like a goldmine of information in there, will read the entire thread when I get time. Going to use Kevins method for the bricks, its a great help!

the cause of the pixelation is most definately related to the basemesh topology

This is all an assumption that your base mesh is made like i assume it is, posting wires might help.

pillarwires.th.jpg

Would you say that is not enough, achillesian? Thanks for the reply mate!

I'd advise you to model the bricks separately, align them on a grid and then use Path Deform modifier to bend them into a circular shape. Kevin's thread is spot-on on that workflow.

Depending on how your bricks and column look like, you might want to export the whole column into Zbrush and sculpt some more details to get rid of uniform look; though it really depends on your base brick. Second Zbrush pass can be quicker, than rotating and scaling each brick, if your column/wall/etc. is huge.

Edit:

Your column is huge; I wouldn't worry about some small errors with that size.
    Take a look at Bram Eulaers' tutorial to see how details translate onto normal map. http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/generic_wall_tutorial/generic_wall_tutorial.html

Yeah mate, definitely going to use that method to make the column from here on in. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I see what you are saying about details translating onto normal map now! Very useful info! Good to know you don't have to go crazy with the detail.

Again, I really appreciate you all helping me with your replys, I've learned a lot I did not know just in those few posts, lol! :) :thumbup:
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    Definitely the best way to do this is to model individual bricks. This will be quicker and also allow you to alter any of the brick patterns quickly and more effectively using a different brick and aligning rather than having to resculpt the mesh or touch up the normal map.

The reason you're going pixelation is that the quads on the pillar are too stretched out vertically. Try to keep the quads as square as possible as right now they're a very long rectangle. This doesn't allow the mesh to be evenly subdivided.
  • John Mason
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely the best way to do this is to model individual bricks. This will be quicker and also allow you to alter any of the brick patterns quickly and more effectively using a different brick and aligning rather than having to resculpt the mesh or touch up the normal map.

I would never even have thought to do individual bricks before posting for help, lol! Just shows I have a lot to learn...nice advice turbo

The reason you're going pixelation is that the quads on the pillar are too stretched out vertically. Try to keep the quads as square as possible as right now they're a very long rectangle. This doesn't allow the mesh to be evenly subdivided.

Aha! I did not even realise that. Another thing learned. :poly121:

Great reply mate, thank you! :thumbup: