Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Low Poly Spy

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
VPrime polycounter lvl 9
Here is a model I am currently working on.
It is supposed to be a spy character for a iPhone game. The model is wearing a trench coat, which I hope to add details with a skin.

The model currently has 666 tris, and I think it is done.... Unless you guys have somethings to change :poly122:

The game will have a top down/isometric view (think Metal Gear Solid 1), so I figured I didn't have to model to many details (especially being an iPhone game)

I originally had the model at 2000 polys, but had to cut down A LOT as I haven't modeled in years and just starting to get the feel of things.

Any ways let me know what you think!:thumbup:
lowpoly3.jpg
lowpoly2.jpg
lowpoly1.jpg

Replies

• zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Post some wires!
    Post the concept as well.
    What kind of style are you going for?
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Round out the boxiness of the shoulders. Also I'd say either stylize those legs and make them sleek or give them some definition. Head looks a bit thin, but definitely a good start.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    great start, the arms looks a bit short though, other than that good work.
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I don't have a concept (not very good at drawing), but I was using Inspector Gadget as an idea to go by... Mixed in with spy vs spy. The idea is an over the top spy and his face is always in shadows.
    Here is a wireframe shot.. I know it is very messy but I used multires on a 2000poly mesh (Which I tried so hard to keep in quads :( )..Lazy I know. I will try to clean it up a bit.
    [img][/img]wires.jpg[/img

The legs I agree with.. I cant figure out what to do with them. I was thinking really thin with tight pants at first. But then I figured some "normal" pants would fit better.
    The arms I had longer, but it didn't look right. I will try and make them a little longer.
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry for the double post.. Just made some changes.

I think I fixed the shoulder?
    Made the arms a bit longer
    Changed the legs
    Cleaned up a few parts of the mesh
    deleted polygons. (Currently at 645 tris)

perp1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    side1.jpg
  • Priske415
    The arms need to be a bit longer.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The knees look to be placed a bit on the high side which is probably what's throwing off the length of your arms.

Your geometry is a bit peculiar in places, most notably around the elbow. For it to function you'll need at least a couple of edge loops running right the way round the arm. I'd suggest doing the same with the knees as they'll collapse when animated the way you have them now.
  • d2king10
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Your poly flow is horrible, do not bother with fixing proportions or anything until you fix that. Look at some references, with a poly flow like that, you are going to have nothing but problems when it comes to animation, modeling, texturing, etc.
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The knees look to be placed a bit on the high side which is probably what's throwing off the length of your arms.

Your geometry is a bit peculiar in places, most notably around the elbow. For it to function you'll need at least a couple of edge loops running right the way round the arm. I'd suggest doing the same with the knees as they'll collapse when animated the way you have them now.
    I thought that the knees were a bit high as well, but when I added a biped (to get the rough idea of where things should be) it was way up there.. So I just went with it.
    Yes I know I need some edge loops, I will definitely try to fix it the mesh more.. At this point I really regret not paying attention the poly count from the beginning so I didn't have to use multires.
    d2king10 wrote: »
    Your poly flow is horrible, do not bother with fixing proportions or anything until you fix that. Look at some references, with a poly flow like that, you are going to have nothing but problems when it comes to animation, modeling, texturing, etc.
    You're right. It is my mistake (and lazyness) which got me here. I will be fixing that as much as I can. I have been looking into the lowpoly threads and have been getting some ideas. But every time I try to fix it too many polygons are added. I guess I will just have to play around with it some more.
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Cleaned up the mesh a lot (in my opinion at least ;) )
    Removed the arms (which were probably the worst) and started over on them. Still not done, need to add some more shape and longer (Can some one give a suggestion of where I should bring them down to? Every thin I try looks too long to too short)
    Any ways thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming!
    new.jpg
  • d2king10
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope you don't mind I did a quick paint over in paint haha:

paintover01.png?t=1263361080

Try and keep your polygons at 4 sides, 3 if you have to, but try to never do more than 4 on characters. Try and keep everything in nice lines that follow the flow of the model, having points jerk up will break the look of everything.

If this is going to be top view, you don't need as much polys in the hat as you have, most of everything can be detailed with nice shadows and highlights in the texture.

Your new polyflow is TONS better and will be a lot easier to work with to get the shapes you want.

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

EDIT: Just noticed some typos in the example I gave, haha I was in a rush what can I say!
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for that! I actually noticed a couple of things you suggested and already had them fixed :)

Here is another update. removed a lot of unneeded polys, currently at 531 tris.
    newUpdated.jpg
  • Kupikimijumjum
    His head needs to be a good deal wider, and unless you are going for a the real skinny leg look, his legs are too stick-like. If you ARE going for that kind of style, then that needs to be consistent elsewhere on the model. But the shoulders and torso are not conveying that.

Try taking a look at this helpful link for your elbows and knees.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Limb_Topology

*Also, see how in your side view his chest is completely flat? You can't waste those polys like that, especially working so low. Try pulling those outside edges back just a tad, and allow the center loop to give more shape.
  • d2king10
    Offline / Send Message
    Great improvement with the polyflow! Looks a lot better and a lot cleaner.

Now I think you can focus on the proportions as mentioned above :poly124:
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks again for all the feedback!

Made some more changes.
    -Head is wider
    -Legs are thicker
    -Torso is thinner
    -Shoulders are less broad (and removed a row of polygons)
    -Arms are longer
    -I think I added some proper deformation to the knees.
    -Made the chest less flat
    -Removed a lot of polygons where they weren't needed.
    SpyUpdate.jpg
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    A bit of an update. I tried to work on the proportions a bit. Don''t know if I made them better or worse though:poly136:
    Shortened the torso and legs a bit..
    SpyProp.jpg

Better or worse?

Edit: bored and just thought I'd try and make a nicer render.
    NiceSpy.jpg
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I think the model is done... Other than the briefcase, right now it is 2 pieces and can open/close. But I don't know if that will stay for the game (or even if the character will have a briefcase in game).
    I am pretty happy with it, but let me know what you guys think before I move on and try to UV map it :poly127:
    Almost2.jpg
    Done.jpg
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Added a biped to it.. and downloaded a random test animation from the internet that fit with the character. Any one have an idea on how I can have the briefcase move with the arm? should I just add it to the hand joint?
    th_Test.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Bit of an update. Started the skin.
    I am pretty happy with it so far... I know it is not as great as some of the other stuff on polycount, but for a non artistic person I think I did quite well ;)
    I know the jacket "flaps" are pretty blurry.. But I couldn't fix that.. I think it will be fine for the game though (isometric game on an iphone)

The jacket is done with some image samples from google. So cant take all the credit there.
    texture1.jpg
    angle.jpg
    frontback.jpg
    Skin2.png
  • d2king10
    Offline / Send Message
    You are going to want to make those shadows A LOT darker!

Here, check out an older thread of mine where I had the same issue, might help you: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68572
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Finished the model, only have to animate it now.
    Does any one know of some good easy to follow game animation tutorials for 3DSmax using Bipeds?
    CompletedSpy.jpg
    completed.jpg
    completed2.jpg
    Skin2-1.png
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrMxOfEDa4c[/ame]
  • serialkiler
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I cried..:D

This detective walk is old old old old school, you might want to re-do your detective walk..

Nice model though. Thanks for sharing. <.<
  • bbob
    As for animation critique, you should look into getting more anticipation in the movement, and especially, put weight in the briefcase, it looks like its more than effortless to lift, which reads badly.
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments, but I can't take credit for the animation. It is just a biped I downloaded from the internet to test out the model, as I cant animate at all.

Though, that is the same style of movement I will be going for ;)
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I forgot to update this thread, but I put the final model in game. Here is the spy moving around with his animations.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDphvhbrRz0