Home General Discussion

Borderlands and Codehunters- Too Close?

This is starting to get some traction around the internet, and people are split between: 'They're both cell shaded, so what?' and 'Holy Crap they just slapped a new name on it and screwed Ben Hibon'.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IeaC3Y8aac&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmeP1YkaeTo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I figured Polycount would be the place to get an opinion on this:

Kotaku posted this statement from Randy Pitchford at Gearbox:
"I would like to thank news sites who chose to share the awesome work in Code Hunters with their readers. It's great content and one can no doubt imagine that a number of artists and designers at Gearbox were inspired and influenced by it. It was inspiring to me when "The Incredibles" was clearly a big source of influence for titles like Battlefield Heroes and Team Fortress 2 (and other amazing games and media). Perhaps with more attention from gaming news sites and other sources, Code Hunters can be more respected and honored for their innovation and leadership in CG as well. Maybe I'm too optimistic to believe that Code Hunters can get as much attention as Pixar (with due respect I believe they deserve), but with the help of gaming news sites and others who care about great content, maybe more people can notice and recognize and, perhaps, be inspired by it."

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    their intros seem exactly the same so far, let me watch the whole thing.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Way to deflect the blame :icon15:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    eh only the intro feel ripped off, the styles are similar though.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »
    Way to deflect the blame :icon15:

I laughed at Randy's comment, that guy never stops putting a smile on my face. Though he does have a point. If Codehunters was better known nobody would think of Borderlands as of plagarism.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Huh?

Anyway...

Looking like an art style is one thing (TF2/Heroes vs. Incredbiles) but "borrowing" art style, setting, rendering methods, character design (a stretch here, but a slim dude, a chick and a large brute? c'mon) and an intro sequence is FAR beyond 'being inspired'.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    They deserve as much respect as pixar? You have to be kidding me, the animation was sub par, muted colors are hardly ground breaking, the story was juvenile and the graphic style was generic. Felt like a Gorrillas music video mixed with some final fantasy in 3d. Every commercial product steals from various sources, some execute those styles better, lets get over it.

Meh, both have cel shading.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah borderlands is definitely a completely different take on the same style idea "grimy, cell shaded, thick border edge"
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So Borderlands did the 'grimy cell shading' differently than Codehunters???
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    besides using thick lines on the textures, yeah, saturated color, more detail on the textures, more bloom. The textures are less cartoony and simplified.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I've been thinking about this lately after finally getting borderlands. As bad as copying and shit is I actually think its somewhat of a good thing... i mean, fair doos, borderlands is pretty fucking bland colourwise but I still think theyve done something really interesting artistically and i'd rather that than a Gears/Halo setting.

Codehunters is one of those things i see and think "thats fucking cool, i wouldnt mind an 'x' in that kind of style". Perhaps its a bit too close for comfort and at first I actually wanted to see if ben holden had any involvement in gearbox - if he had, i think that would of made the whole thing feel a lot better.

Still, It does feel like a bit of a cop out to just draw that much inspiration from one place - I totally love what SD are doing with shit like Brink, unless ofc they have something to tell us too about an unknown video? :P
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh?

Anyway...

Looking like an art style is one thing (TF2/Heroes vs. Incredbiles) but "borrowing" art style, setting, rendering methods, character design (a stretch here, but a slim dude, a chick and a large brute? c'mon) and an intro sequence is FAR beyond 'being inspired'.

The thing is that Code Hunters isn't the first to do these things either. Like crazyfingers I have also made the connection to Gorillaz videos. It's pretty much a mash-up of different techniques that have been around for some time; I don't mean to bash Gearbox, nor the creators of Code Hunters but none of them has the right to put an "original-idea-do not-steal" sticker.

and Randy's comments are just entertaining ;) mainly thanks to the amount of drama they create
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Eh, similar looks, totally different feels.
    CodeHunters reminds me more of Trigun with brown cell shading-ness with some Fantasy but not quite Final in there..
    After the bus intro, the two really do not match much at all.
    Setting, I dunno... CodeHunters seemed more post-apoc whereas Borderlands is run-down corporate hell.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    haha, come to think of it adam, if they blatantly stole anything it was that ass shot.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The thing is that Code Hunters isn't the first to do these things either. Like crazyfingers I have also made the connection to Gorillaz videos. It's pretty much a mash-up of different techniques that have been around for some time; I don't mean to bash Gearbox, nor the creators of Code Hunters but none of them has the right to put an "original-idea-do not-steal" sticker.

and Randy's comments are just entertaining ;) mainly thanks to the amount of drama they create

You're missing my point. Gorillaz videos, while "toon" (fucking hate using this word, btw), does not look anything like this particular style of cartoon rendering. Whereas Borderlands AND Codehunters have very similar methods of cartoon rendering.

By your comparison, I could say I see a little bit of Gorillaz in Team-Fortress 2 which would then mean Borderlands looks like TF2, which it does not. "Toon" comparisons are far too general for this particular situation.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Having a few superficially similar traits obviously means two things are identical. Instead of drawing more detailed comparisons, let's just keep bringing up the fact that they share certain superficially similar traits. That will get the argument somewhere!

Borderlands and max payne both use EXACTLY the same type of 32 BIT COLOR TEXTURES.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SupRore, are you a fan of Borderlands?

Anyway, no one is saying they're identical. Clearly they are not.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, haven't played. Am admittedly a bit of a fan of gearbox but i just think the logic being used in this thread is silly. I see some definite similarities, chunky designs, dusty scenes and stark shading. I don't think the outlines or grittiness are relevant at all, it's hard to count the number of artists who do that style in 2d.

to clarify, the differences i see are palette is nothing similar (and the palette in code hunters is, i'd say, a distinct trait) details are nothing similar, borderlands is very plane-y and chiseled and codehunders is pretty muddy, setting is superficially similar (in so far as they're dusty deserts with manly shit in them) but doesnt seem to have much in common, lighting style is similar but not enough to be suspicious, some character designs are pretty similar... I honestly can't see how you would think this was outright derivative. Influenced by, but not in so far as that it permeates its every essence.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think Gearbox saw this video, someone said 'wow we should do this in our game', did that in their game, then started to work their way outward so they can make it their own.

:)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're missing my point. Gorillaz videos, while "toon" (fucking hate using this word, btw), does not look anything like this particular style of cartoon rendering. Whereas Borderlands AND Codehunters have very similar methods of cartoon rendering.

By your comparison, I could say I see a little bit of Gorillaz in Team-Fortress 2 which would then mean Borderlands looks like TF2, which it does not. "Toon" comparisons are far too general for this particular situation.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear - by mentioning Gorillaz I had mainly character designs in mind and some other design choices. The style reminds me more of Asian comics and animation mixed with western stuff.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    whoa, -not even kind of close. stylistically, code hunters is on some high level artsy shit. borderlands has a similar look to the way materials and surfaces look, but from a designstand point its pretty night and day.

*edit- just watched the code hunters vid. I forgot it in fine detail, and that bus is pretty one to one.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Gearbox saw this video, someone said 'wow we should do this in our game', did that in their game, then started to work their way outward so they can make it their own.

:)

Has any artist ever created anything without using that method, applied to one thing or another?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I would call it NPR rather than cell shading.. I know that's not the issue but still..
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    konstruct wrote: »
    whoa, -not even kind of close. stylistically, code hunters is on some high level artsy shit. borderlands has a similar look to the way materials and surfaces look, but from a designstand point its pretty night and day.

Well, yes. I didn't see any gunship trains shooting 20m bullets in Borderlands.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    konstruct wrote: »

*edit- just watched the code hunters vid. I forgot it in fine detail, and that bus is pretty one to one.

I'd be curious as to what your definition of 'high level artsy shit' is and how the one has it while the other does not.

I'll wager that if you took movies from both and inter spliced them, your average joe wouldn't be able to tell where one stops and another begins. Beyond the shot to shots of the intro, ass cam, etc. I think BL takes their inspiration a bit too far.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    pfft, not that close. Codehunters has been around forever and it's rendering technique was hardly revolutionary when I first saw it. As the gearbox guy said, you might as well say valve ripped off pixar with TF2. We all know the art world is a cess pool of interbreeding yokels. Unless you're stealing the actual pieces or intellectual property, it's all fair game in my eyes.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not going to say too much about this as I am sure you all understand. However, I will attempt to hijack this thread by bringing up the fucking EMPIRE that Blizzard has built using the GW IPs while not paying them a goddamn dime. That is some pretty blatant shit, right there :p
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Obviously you can find differences between the two, but most movie adaptation games don't look as much like their source as Borderlands looks like Codehunters. The texure detail and the amount and strength of the lines is very close for as far as I can tell.

Which isn't to say that you can't take inspiration, but TF2 at least combines Incredibles style with '30s illustration style. They've been pretty clear on their inspiration of the latter, anyway. Battlefield Heroes doesn't nearly rip anyone off as blatantly.

Not saying it's a bad art style, because Borderlands is probably the prettiest game of 2009 - but it owes so much that it's pretty ridiculous not to have mentioned it previously... reading Randy Pitchford's reaction, I'm amazed Gearbox didn't.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    the pr response makes my brain hurt a bit.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will attempt to hijack this thread by bringing up the fucking EMPIRE that Blizzard has built using the GW IPs while not paying them a goddamn dime.

Yeah not to mention the 3 lead devs for WoW all met over everquest.

This is something people just have to learn to accept i guess, just like the satch vs. coldplay etc.

Even Cliffy B admits lifting pretty much all the gameplay in gears of war from killswitch.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I am going to agree with Rooster about Borderlands not having "cell shading". I see the term thrown around and I think people don't understand what it means.

On the topic-- the Borderlands style was obviously inspired by Code Hunters. Many of the shots were borrowed. I don't think it is really wrong, and I certainly enjoyed the game, but then it does reduce my respect a little for the art direction on Borderlands. But when I think about the stuff I liked best in the game, they were things like the funny robots, and the character designs, so maybe they do deserve my full respect.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I thought this was pretty striking.
    ipxswk.jpg

But overall, it's similar, yeah. But I wouldn't say it's "too" similar. Daffy and Donald Duck are similar too, and they're drawn in a similar style even. But they're still totally different in plenty of other ways. When Max Payne first came out, I remember everyone saying they ripped off the Matrix. There are dozens of games with time-slowing now and it's not a big deal.

If you weren't already familiar with their differences, how many games would it look like there are in this picture? But no one would say any of them copied their style from the others, because there are lots of games with those similarities, so only the execution and the differences matter. After a handful more games with outlines and desaturated colors, the same will be true for those.

Also, Viewtiful Joe did that oversized bullet deflection thing years ago.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not going to say too much about this as I am sure you all understand. However, I will attempt to hijack this thread by bringing up the fucking EMPIRE that Blizzard has built using the GW IPs while not paying them a goddamn dime. That is some pretty blatant shit, right there :p

AZ, we should hang out with you some time.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I don't see the big deal either. There are so many games that took oh-so-obvious cues from movies: Max Payne - Matrix, or Wesker in RE5 also totally reminds me of The Matrix, NFS Underground looked at the Fast & Furious movie, etc...
    No reason to get all upset, Borderlands is a fun and original game let's just be happy about that, instead of having some cliche halo-like sci-fi shooter.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think the point is that even with tf2 that is only partially influenced by for example pixar, they were clear and happy to talk about it.

while with borderlands it was all "so one day the art team took a daring move and totally changed it" and there has been no mention of codehunters ever never.

be gentlemen, mention your obvious influences, especially when your artstyle has been discussed quite alot.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Some info on the making of Codehunters for your perusal
    http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3620
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never want to think about borderlands again, not after that end boss!
    You need to find his weak spot! What on earth could it beeee?
    And that other four legged bigboss before him! Rediculous!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    this feels humorously relevant:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

I think if you're going to ape someone's rendering style (original or not) nearly 99% you should at least steer clear from the same setting, monster style, character style (and even character classing)...let alone recreate exact scenes at nearly the exact same time in the opening 10 minutes of the game and source.

To me that's just a little bit too far, kind of takes it out of homage and into "couldn't think of anything better so just take theirs."
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If it leads to more games moving towards a more interesting style instead of blindly pushing towards some sembalance of realism, they can plagiarise and canabalise styles to their hearts content as far as I'm concerned.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    I never want to think about borderlands again, not after that end boss!
    You need to find his weak spot! What on earth could it beeee?
    And that other four legged bigboss before him! Rediculous!
    YOUR SPELLING OF "REDICULOUS" IS RIDICULOUS!

Yeah that last boss was horrible,
    "omg what should I shoot at, maybe that glowing ball thing?"
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I thought CodeHunters was a trailer for a new game. I was all excited for a new cell shaded title, but now I'm sad :(
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    "I think Gearbox saw this video, someone said 'wow we should do this in our game', did that in their game, then started to work their way outward so they can make it their own."

I'm glad, since if Borderlands didn't exist and I just watched this video I would have said the same thing!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i never heard of code-hunter till now. looks interesting. still, code hunter reminds me more of a cross between manga and that Gorrilaz music videos. love the art style by the way.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    on what rooster said, a cartoon outline does not equal cel shading.
    Jet Set Radio Future is more cell shading, while borderlands is more of a comic book style. (Such as Crackdown, a friend of mine thinks crackdown has the "Best Cell Shading Ever" but hates the graphics in games such as Jet Set Radio and LOZ:The windwaker, not to mention windwaker doesnt even have cartoon outlines, just the shading.)
    (also i think it's funny how many people didnt pay any attention to borderlands until they changed their art style)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    (also i think it's funny how many people didnt pay any attention to borderlands until they changed their art style)

I recall everyone flipping their lids when the September 2007 issue of Game Informer came out announcing Borderlands.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    "everyone" or everyone as in "people at polycount saying "hey dude awesome project!"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "everyone" or everyone as in "people at polycount saying "hey dude awesome project!"

Everyone as in the internet, funny guy.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Guess I don't recall. Maybe I was busy being ignorant elsewhere.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't hear anything of Borderlands until the art change, then I didn't really pay attention until a friend brought it over. Then I had lots of fun. :)

Went back and watched an old trailer. Seems more than the art changed.