Home General Discussion

Can vampires ever be cool again?

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    MALicivs wrote: »
    30daysc.JPG

best vampires in recent history. read the book and see the movie.
    a non romantic depiction of vampires, kinda like in nosferatu, they are monsters like they should be.

Totally agree dude. Kickass movie. I loved the gothic, dark atmosphere of the entire movie. When I saw it, I was a little younger, and strangley I was kind of scared by some of the scenes. It's a really good mature movie.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I always forget 30 Days whenever people start talking about vampire movies, but yeah - definitely how vampires should be done. I love the cinematography of that movie, and the subtle vignetting really adds to the overall atmosphere.

I also liked how cruel and vicious they were,
    like when they use the young girl as bait
    . That cunning, animal quality really separated them from the typical vampire we see in movies, and made them a more frightening enemy.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think the problem most people have with Twilight is specifically that it plays with the established rules of fictional carnivorous undead so much as that it's about a 100 year old man who threatens, stalks, dates, leaves, fucks, impregnates, and continues to threaten a personality-less underage girl throughout the series and that this is portrayed as a good thing. Then she gives birth to a baby that has to be ripped out of her like a chestburster from Alien except if a chestburster were removed by having a vampire tear open a uterus with it's teeth, which ages through puberty instantly and is then stalk-romanced by a werewolf. I'm not making this up. This is a real thing.

Apparently Edward came to the author in a particularly erotic dream, so, it's kinda like if J.K. Rowling really wanted to fuck Harry Potter....so...yeah.

Also, Assisted Living Dracula is the best Dracula.

Dracula.jpg
  • Taylor Hood
    danshewan wrote: »
    I always forget 30 Days whenever people start talking about vampire movies, but yeah - definitely how vampires should be done. I love the cinematography of that movie, and the subtle vignetting really adds to the overall atmosphere.

I also liked how cruel and vicious they were,
    like when they use the young girl as bait
    . That cunning, animal quality really separated them from the typical vampire we see in movies, and made them a more frightening enemy.

AGREED. I loved how they weren't like some of the more mystical/sexy vampires (Yeah..I have no idea what it's called but I think Queen of the Damned showed some of what I'm trying to convey) But in 30DoN it's alot more feral and savage. Awesome.
  • vcool
    I thought 30 Days of Night was crappy, but their portrayal of vampires was spot on. Disfigured beasts that man is supposed to fear and not experience love towards.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, weren't vampires in Stoker's Dracula also beautiful? I have never finished the book though, because I had it as an e-book on a PDA back in the days when PDAs were cool, but my PDA broke so yeah.

There was a whole thing about the prey having to willingly invite a vampire for it to come in and stuff, if my memory serves right.

Anyway, I was thinking about Let the Right One in a few days ago, I should watch it.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Near Dark thats a good one.

I vaguelly remember watching this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112288/

Which has a different side to it.
  • oXYnary
  • Sayanora
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    30 Days of Night is the best vampire movie. Werewolfs vs vampires movie... Really hello it's been done already, wtf, new moon comes out and turns out to be lame as hell and you guys get so emo and shit you forget about Underworld series, and "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans". Blade the movie is lame! It could of easily been tens time better.

Nice Zombie movies...
    Dawn of the Dead was great! Quarantine and REC 2 (sequel to Quarantine) were interesting, although the ahole that made the trailer for Quarantine totally showed the ending of it which ruined the experience. 28 days and 28 weeks later and Perkins 14 were a nice twist on zombie like movies.

@ Sectarus, the monsters in Buffy and Angel look scary what are you talking about and the stories were better written than Twlight and especially New Moon. Hell Dawson's Creek episodes were better put together than New Moon. :D I think New Moon ruined Twilight series. The best part of Buffy series was when Angel loses his soul after getting with Buffy (yes they have sex!) and of course when Faith joined the series. Buffy had, good stories, cool monsters and fx, bad ass witches and lesbians. New Moon had a emo 100 year old vampire that somehow thinks that by leaving his dumbass depressed girlfriend that she would be safer than if he stayed to protect her. Why because she wants to turn to a vampire and be his little sex slave for the rest of her life. Yeah I doubt Buffy did worse to vampires than New Moon. Now Angel the series is a different story, so I'll just won't go there. It's kind of tied with New Moon and Blade, the movie, for that matter. Did you see the bad ass vampire leader in Blade? Me neither, I guess I missed something... i'll have to go watch 30 Days of Night again to forget those terrible memories...

Why the vampires in Twlight are lame. That's easy

the male vampires look wimpy and like they are about to cry, they also look like they have to take a dump. The female vampires look a little scary though, :D, I guess the male vamps just don't do it for them. The piss poor art directing/editing in New Moon is why the vampires in this series suck! Twlight was alright, wtf happened with New Moon? Wasn't it the same director? Maybe they will have an extended edition...

Fright Night was a vampire movie that gave me nightmares and then of course there is Salem's Lot. I think I was four or five when I saw parts of it, freaked me the hell out... LOL

In my book Vampires are always cool and because of that so many crappy movies get made because people always want to see a good vampire movie.
  • MALicivs
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    vcool wrote: »
    On the other hand, now that I think about it, weren't vampires in Stoker's Dracula also beautiful?

well but vampires have been in folklore since... well.. ever, and before the 19th century or something they were not represented as they are in Dracula for example.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    New Moon had a different director.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Asherr, really, it freaking shows!!!!
  • greenj2
    I've only been exposed to a few tiny promotional snippets of Twilight. And for that, I am grateful. But if a Twilight movie comes out that is as batshit crazy as the fourth book is made to sound in this article, I'll be forced to go see it. *SPOILERS AHEAD* (I guess.)

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21684/1/THE-DEVIN039S-ADVOCATE-WHY-BREAKING-DAWN-MUST-BE-MADE-INTO-A-MOVIE/Page1.html

A taste of the article:
    "Breaking Dawn opens with Bella Swan, the lacteal heroine of the series, finally getting married to Edward Cullen, the mopey vampire hero. They go off to honeymoon on Isle Esme, a Brazilian island the Cullen clan owns (this is already ridiculous beyond belief. Imagine a vampire going snorkeling; it basically happens in this book), and Edward is afraid to fuck his new bride. The reason: he's super strong and she's just a human - Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex type of situation here. But Bella wears him down and Edward throws it in her - and knocks her the fuck out, leaving her badly bruised.

Let's go over that again: Edward fucks Bella into unconsciousness. This alone should have you running to Fandango to pre-order your tickets, but it only gets better..."
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Sage wrote: »
    Asherr, really, it freaking shows!!!!

lol what shows...that it has a different director or...that other thing... :D
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    That article was dumb.
    No Edward doesn't knock Bella out. Yes he tries to get Bella to have a kid with Jacob instead because he doesn't know what kind of monsters a half-vampire will be. Human lovers tend to not live very long around vampires. Despite how dumb the author claims it is vampires fathering children is almost as old a legend as vampires themselves. The children are called Dhampires and specifically were said to have a vampire father and human mother. There is even a village or two in Romania that claim most of their population as being decended from vampires.
  • ES_139
    Sage wrote: »
    ...Quarantine and REC 2 (sequel to Quarantine) were interesting, although the ahole that made the trailer for Quarantine totally showed the ending...

TOTALLY, how that trailer was given the green light is unbelievable. It would be fair enough it had been an innocuous snippet of the final scene but it was the climax of the trailer. It almost felt like you were meant to remember it while watching which basically ruined the end of the film. Also did you notice how similar that character was to the witch in left for dead.....:poly122:
  • ScudzAlmighty
    greenj2: if you haven't seen it already, you need to watch the deleted scene from the beginning of Hancock, sounds like it would be right up your... alley.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-tcxZ5VOBM[/ame]
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Let the Right One In was pretty cool. Though I can't agree that it's mind blowingly the greatest vampire movie ever, as claimed on the cover. Very interesting story.

The only lame vampire in Twilight is Edward and Bella is a stupid hollow vehicle for the author to relive highschool glory days. All the other characters are actually likeable, have some measure of depth and are interesting. It's the stupid sado-masochistic romance of Bella/Edward that gets all the screen time though.

That article is INCREDIBLY dumb. Written by someone who is amazingly biased.
    Twilight seems to have one of two responses, both stupid: incredible fangirl-ism or the vilelest most complete hate.
    Okay, Bella and Edward have a long bout of honeymoon sex after which she is exhausted and passed out for a while... so? The bruises are from a super strong vampire trying to restrain himself during intimacy, seeing as they tend to give into their passions. It's not as if Edward donkeypunched her. (Though I would liked to have seen that. lol)
    What's really dumb and utterly fanciful about the whole thing is how much of a perfect match physically (she says they were made to fit together!) and perfect sex they have. It's quite silly and naive sounding.

Imprinting is not 'love' or lust, sex or anything like that. Seems a lot of people can't separate those two, love and lust, I really feel sorry for those people.
    It is made very very clear: it is a supernatural instinct to protect, care for and make happy a person with whom you have the greatest chance to further the supernatural genetics. In Jacobs case, passing on the spirit wolf gene. It means Jacob will always be there for Renesme. It would be her choice if she wants him around/kids/marriage/whatever.
    Oh yeah, another of his pack imprints on a 2 year old. You see that in book 3 I believe. Don't hear about that one do you? Is it because he's shown as the child's greatest friend and it's a thing of nothing but pure joy for both of them? Because Jacob has been so sexualized, that he can't just love someone?

30 Days of Night, I read that a few years before the movie. Honestly the art style is what carried the whole graphic novel. The best part was cut from the movie.
    When one of the elders comes up there and calls them all brainless idiots!

Was talking with my roommate last night: When did vampires really start to change? Up through the 50-60s you have Dracula and Nosferatu, then around the mid 70s, here comes a black daywalking half-vampire vampire-killer in the form of Blade. Talk about changing all the rules!

My favourite vampire mechanics/setting will probably always be Vampire The Masquerade. ;)
  • greenj2
    Asherr> Oh it's very dumb, but it's an entertaining piece of dumb. It's certainly the movie I'd prefer to see anyway. There's nothing entertaining about a Romanian village filled with 'Dhampires'. 'Dhampires'? Sounds like a side-dish for some kind of curry. Delicious, but not entertaining.

ScudzAlmighty> Haha, I've not seen Hancock, but that was pretty funny and tame too. I'm surprised it would be cut from the cinema version. It sucks that so much of what comes out of Hollywood needs to be so drastically sanitised. Thanks for contributing to my 'alley' sir, I'll have to check out the whole movie. ;)

Snemmy> I just replayed VTM: Bloodlines recently, actually finished it this time too. That really is a sweet game.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    @Blenderhead Twlight was better made than New Moon. New Moon seemed to be missing entire scenes, in fact when I watched New Moon I remember thinking really when did that happen in Twlight, now I'm going to have to watch that shit over to see if it was there. The entire love triangle in New Moon didn't make sense, everything just felt poorly put together and half assed. The pacing was different than Twilight. I was wondering why the two movies felt so different, one seemed well made and the other was crap. I'm not saying Twilight was a great movie but I did find it interesting, with New Moon it was a different story.

That scene in Hancock was interesting and funny up until the end. Do women really do that? I think it got cut because it doesn't make sense and it made Hancock be too human., By that I mean you identify too much with the character. it just seems like a turning point moment for him. I think that scene would of worked better at the beginning of the film if she went and jumped on him for more after she looked at him with that stunned dumb look she had. I don't get that whole sad moment at the end of that scene.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    @Sage
    Yeah, New Moon was a bit choppy. It suffered the same as later Harry Potter films, the idea 'fans will get it and those who don't will read'. Though to be honest, it comes more from sloppy screenplay writing and a desire to get the $$$ quickly than too much content in the book.
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    The answer to this thread. No.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i think they should make a movie about the original vlad dracul.

The atrocities committed by Vlad in the German stories include impaling, torturing, burning, skinning, roasting, and boiling people, feeding people the flesh of their friends or relatives, cutting off limbs, and drowning. All of these punishments mainly came from things people did that displeased Vlad the most; stealing, lying, and adulterous relations. Other methods of punishment included skinning the feet of thieves, then putting salt on them and letting goats lick off the salt.

Impalement was Vlad's preferred method of torture and execution. His method of torture was a horse attached to each of the victim's legs as a sharpened stake was gradually forced into the body. The end of the stake was usually oiled (to ensure the stake would not puncture any organs), and care was taken that the stake not be too sharp; else the victim might die too rapidly from shock. Normally the stake was inserted into the body through the anus and was often forced through the body until it emerged from the mouth.However, there were many instances where victims were impaled through other bodily orifices or through the abdomen or chest. Infants were sometimes impaled on the stake forced through their mother's chests.The records indicate that victims were sometimes impaled so that they hung upside down on the stake.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Malus wrote: »

+1
    Bal wrote: »
    And for the record, Eli is not a girl, "she" is asexual.[/spoiler]
    I thought the book was very graphic and i didnt expect
    Hakan to be a pedophile...the chapter where he takes the drugged boy into the toilets was shocking to say the least.

Also, It was my understanding that Eli used to be a boy before being castrated/mutilated by a vampire

Very awesome book/Film...simply amazing.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    I only read the first 3 books by Anne Rice but those vamps + vampire the masquerade / world of darkness is easy the coolest vampires out there IMO. Also think that interview with the vampire is the best vampire movie ever made!

L
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    dejawolf wrote: »
    i think they should make a movie about the original vlad dracul.

The atrocities committed by Vlad in the German stories include impaling, torturing, burning, skinning, roasting, and boiling people, feeding people the flesh of their friends or relatives, cutting off limbs, and drowning. All of these punishments mainly came from things people did that displeased Vlad the most; stealing, lying, and adulterous relations. Other methods of punishment included skinning the feet of thieves, then putting salt on them and letting goats lick off the salt.

Impalement was Vlad's preferred method of torture and execution. His method of torture was a horse attached to each of the victim's legs as a sharpened stake was gradually forced into the body. The end of the stake was usually oiled (to ensure the stake would not puncture any organs), and care was taken that the stake not be too sharp; else the victim might die too rapidly from shock. Normally the stake was inserted into the body through the anus and was often forced through the body until it emerged from the mouth.However, there were many instances where victims were impaled through other bodily orifices or through the abdomen or chest. Infants were sometimes impaled on the stake forced through their mother's chests.The records indicate that victims were sometimes impaled so that they hung upside down on the stake.

They are, its being worked on by brad pitt's company.
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Don't be racist.

I think Buffy [and Angel] did far worse to vampires then Twilight could possibly hope to. What Twilight portrays horribly is teenage girls.

What are people's main complaints with the vampires in Twilight, out of curiosity? And don't list particular traits of a shitty character, we're talking about a race of beings here, not individuals.

They sparkle in sunlight, that's my problem with it. And no, I don't hate it because it "looks gay", but when you take away the one crucial weakness of a vampire, something which dictates how vampires live..well, it's like superman without his kryptonite.

It's right up there with smart zombies.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone seen "Dracula: Dead and Loving it"?

Now THAT'S a 'win' vampire movie! :D
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Actually there are supposed to be some vampires, at least I was told by geeks that were into the different myths that there vampires that can be in sun light because they had true faith. :D They are weaker than normal vampires because they don't drink human blood. Not sure if that's based on a real myth or just made up but whatever. I thought the glowing in daylight was kind of cool.

I just finished watching Let the right one in again, and it seems Eli was mutilated before she became a vampire and she does say she is not a girl. I always thought she said that because she is a vampire but maybe it was in reference to her being a boy before she was turned... I prefer to think of her as a girl though, the movie was weird enough as it was. Really good movie, it was a nice twist on vampire films.
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Vampires need to get the batman treatment. They need to go from schumacher to nolan. Less marilyn manson, more tom waits.
  • gavku
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    The fact that I watched New Moon in the cinema with my best friend who's gay, and two female friends sais what needs to be said about the movie. It was fucking boring and bad. I had a fun evening though ;).
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    vampires are pretty cool in the zendikar block in mtg standard.
  • Spur
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Malus wrote: »
    And here gentlemen are the faces of our enemy...

Go ahead and include my wife in that too! Saying anything bad against Twilight is pure blasphemy! :poly117: She can't see whats been spoken here...
  • vcool
    So what are people's thoughts on Daybreakers?

The movie wasn't that good, but the vampires were OK I thought.

Oh I am also expecting a sequel, the ending was so weak and to be honest it can't even be called an ending, that it just demands a better finish.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Has anyone mentioned Night Watch? It was a fantastic vampire movie <3
    I watched it in Russian with english subtitles and the subtitles had effects on them. It was pretty awesome, I can't name any other movie that has done that. (but I don't watch a ton of movies )
  • Spur
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    I know some of you have seen and remember 'Life Force'. Cant beat alien vampires! Not to mention Mathilda May was just hot as hell in that movie! :poly124:
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Hhaha I just watched Lesbian Vampire Killers :P. It's a genius movie :).

oh and lesbian vampire killers are people who kill lesbian vampires. (about the last sentence in the movie).