Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

An Axe, that may or may not contain magic

Here is my second project to post on these forums. The feedback was so good last time and I have high hopes to hear more. Here are some screen shots of my high poly

magicaxe1.jpg

A close up of the top

magicaxecloaseup1.jpg

of the bottom

magicaxecloaseup2.jpg

and here is the object inside the cage at the bottom of the hilt.

magicaxecloaseup3.jpg

Replies

• Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    The model looks pretty good to me Legolizard but straight away it looks as though you need to bump up the iterations on the sub-d modifier, some of the shapes and corners aren't quite rounded enough. Or inversely, the corners that are meant to be rigid do not have enough supporting edges to keep them sharp enough. Another idea would be to model a bevel floating just below the "bolts" to keep them from looking so stuck on. Here's a little pic to explain:

9lfiw2.jpg
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Man, did not think I would get anyone to comment so early in the morning.

Thanks again fellow nocturnal friend.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    It's 3pm here :)

E: Also this may just be my own personal preference but the head of the axe feels too large. Especially in that shot with the entire profile I think either the pole hand grip needs to be thickened or the axe head brought down in size. As it is now looking at how small details such as the bolts/rivets are in comparison makes the top end seem massive.
  • knoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be honest... the axe looks really... i guess... sci fi...ish, not sure if thats what ur going for. just wondering... what is the story behind it?

i am digging the bottom cage idea... and most of the design tbh... looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was inspired by the ulduarr gear in world or warcraft. It is all ancient titan magic technology.

Yeah the axe head is big but that was intentional.
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I decided to take the axe in a slightly different direction.

What I am attempting is to make the axe is in a held in the moment were hit the ground and the shattered pieces of the ground are held in mid space. With some extra rocks added to the frame to further push a more earthy feel.

axehighpoly.jpg
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    I like the object in the bottom of the hilt idea, but it's really difficult to see even in that super close up shot, maybe consider reworking that cage so its easier to get your idea.
    Nice work though!
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some angle shots. hope these help.

angleq.jpg

angle2j.jpg
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Dead links on the latest images...
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some new images and hopefully these links wont breal. I love emissives.

unrealaxe.jpg

unrealaxe2.jpg
  • knoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my experience of texturing isnt amazing... but its pretty clear your having some normal map problems there... creating those black areas on most of your shap edges...

also you could add detail in the normal map for the grip... right now its looking a little bit too flat

emissive lookes pretty nice though :) what texture size are you using?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey there,
    The shards are a bit too busy in my opinion. I suggest using larger and fewer chunks to accommodate the blade. The magma flow on your blade does not look natural as well, I would suggest painting some more natural lines instead of lines that directly outline the inset you have.

The texture of the handle is not reading as well, im assuming its leather. Keep workin' on it, its coming along!