Home General Discussion

What would you do if you won $50 million?

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sort my family and then any bills out first. After that design a luxury 3d studio, marble floors, solid gold fittings, chandeliers, grand piano, restaurant, jacuzzi, beer filled water coolers, stripper pole and and of course a state of the art render farm.
    Ahh it's nice to dream :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my friend actually asked me this the other day. I didn't know. pay off my loans, invest, and continue my job. the only thing I really want is a house with good soundproofing so I can make a shitload of noise (drums, guitar, etc.).

but he was like 'bullshit, you wouldn't start a game studio?'

so yeah, I guess I would. with soundproofing. :)
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    spread 5 mill around my family

put 30 mil away to grow.

5 mill for property and toys.

10 mill to have my own animated series produced.

and then read, write, draw, paint, play music and games until the end of my days.

fit in some travel around the world... cause you know, you need a vacation every now and then, all that stuff is hard work.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buy a Luxury house boat, yacht and or have a small non-military aircraft carrier built. Making sure to keep enough set aside for maintenance and living expenses and keep on doing what I like.

Probably be pretty bored and end up faking my own death just to see who turns up at the reading of the will. I would demand that the closed casket be propped up as if I'm reading the will. A small video screen would be mounted in the top and it would play my final message. Which I would film in the same casket, so it would seem as if it was more of a window than a recording. I would never pop out even though they would all expect me to, making my death seem that much more final.

I would then haunt any relative who was shocked that all the money went to establish a squirrel sanctuary. I'm not sure how I would haunt them yet, but it I'm sure I would have a blast doing it.

Or possibly reenact a full scale turn based conflict with full scale working versions of these. It might require some well thought out investments ahead of time I'm not sure a meager 50mil would cover the cost of one battleship, let alone the 5-7 I would probably burn through.

I would like to apologize ahead of time to the family of any prisoners who where killed during the battle(s). At the time of the reenactment(s) we where told they did not have any surviving relatives.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    first off, all i have to say is HA HA to you americans... paying taxes on your winnings :P

pay off my debt

take 20mil and divide it between my immediate family (brother, sister-in law, sister, and parents)

take 5 mil and divide it between a list of close friends and extended family. everyone gets the same amount.

buy a new car. probably an audi A5.

and then just put the rest in savings. only dipping into the large chunk for a house when i get to that stage in life.

OH, and of course.... buy a 1 million dollar veyron and drive it into a salt water lake... but thats a given, isnt it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget about the other 12-15 million dollar cars you'll need to purchase and plow into other things. Its like a scavenger hunt, you gotta crash em all!
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off i would pay off my school loans, debts, ect.

-give a couple million to my brother for his new house/cars/bills ect.
    -buy a new house for my parents to retire in and set them up for an easy retirement
    -Buy a 1932 Ford sedan
    -Get a decent house
    -Buy a HUGE 500 gallon salt water aquarium
    -Throw a good 30 ish mil in the bank or invest it (though at this time not such a good idea) for later use or for retirement
    -Donate some to my local church/charities

and im not even sure what to do with the rest lol prob end up putting it away as well.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Well.
    I've always wanted my own personal zeppelin.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd buy one of those abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit and paint it all pink, then I'd retire on the rest of the money.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    would you retire in said neighborhood?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd buy one of those abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit and paint it all pink, then I'd retire on the rest of the money.

Since I live near Detroit, I would find that extremely funny. You could probably buy two neighborhoods for about $50k.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    -Help relatives
    -Build a huge house including but not limited to:
    A real movie theater
    Recording studio
    Wall(s)/floor(s) covered with vintage amps / stomp boxes
    Indoor cross country track for mountain bike
    A nice PC / art room with expensive hardware
    More pool tables than necessary

-Invite a few friends to live in said house for free
    -Tour the world on a carbon fiber bike.

Then live off the interests and do / buy whatever the hell i want, whenever i want.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    make it rain...
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Buy a new Ass cause mine has a crack in it.

then the car, house and upgrade the wife to something younger and hotter:)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    figure out how much I can live on comfy for the next 20-ish years if I was working or not.. Going into work everyday without the thought of paying bills, paycheck ect... would be nice. Not working would be nice, but could prove to be boring after while. Plus any money you'd make working is just pocket change.

Then put the rest into savings or invest. After 20 years rinse and repeat for another 20 or 10 depending on health. Teach kids to do the same. That way me and all the family after me will have a chance financially to do as they wish within standard way of living.

They say that 90% of people waste away their lottery winnings within a decade. Most of the people who win that sorta stuff are financially ignorant.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
    All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
  • Figroti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be afraid at some of the things that I would do with that amount of money, seriously.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in college and live comfortably while furthering myself as a CG artist, keeping my goals in mind...

But really I'd probably just live comfortably and never work again for the rest of my life and play a lot of video games, wondering if my friends are my friends because they're my friends, or if my friends are my friends because I buy them tons of shit. Likewise with my girlfriend.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    actually I most likely wouldn't do anything stupid or wasteful with my money. I would get a financial adviser and split it up into retirement money, money to invest and spending money.

I'd buy about 10 acres of land down south where it doesn't snow and invest money in promising video game startups, maybe go into teaching and start my own brewpub.

It's all stuff I'm going to do eventually but I'd do in now instead of 20 years down the road.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    After putting aside money for my parents and brother, and money for me to be able to live nicely and comfortably I'd buy or build my own pool hall for starters.

As for continuing to work, I think I'd start up my own VFX house, and steal the best talent from ILM, Digital Domain, and WETA.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I would invest it all in tinned food and shotguns.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'd create a working replica of the loader from aliens
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    sicsided wrote: »
    2 chicks at the same time

hahahaha

*serious face*
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    My girlfriend talks about winning the lottery regularly. I honestly don't understand the point of it.

I'd rather look at things we could actually buy. Like affordable houses or real goals. That probably makes me sound like I lack any vision which I don't think is true either. I do have goals for my future that most would think silly.

I would definitely make my own games though :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I would register at a nice traditional art school. I don't know which one though. Rest of the money would keep me and my family safe and healthy :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    TWilson wrote: »
    My girlfriend talks about winning the lottery regularly. I honestly don't understand the point of it.

I'd rather look at things we could actually buy. Like affordable houses or real goals. That probably makes me sound like I lack any vision which I don't think is true either. I do have goals for my future that most would think silly.

I totally get where you're coming from.

I don't even play the lottery. I'd much rather feel like I worked hard enough to earn and deserved the things that I want, rather than dream about winning everything - well, except maybe the chartered Virgin Galactic flight. That I'd accept as a prize.

I know most people here probably don't expect to win and it's all a laugh, but I'm sure we've all met those people that are absolutely convinced that they will win, and therefore all other effort and hard work are considered a waste.

I don't even spend much time thinking about what I'd spend the money on if I did win, because it strikes me as frivolous. I mean, yeah, it's all good fun and all, but I'd probably do something really mundane with it.

Right after I paid Spinal Tap to play the Royal Albert Hall, just for me. That'd be it, though.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sort out my family with enough money to last, put 10 million away for "safe keeping" and then go travelling around the world with my closest friends.

Oh, and I'd finally get some guitar lessons!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    1. Buy back the kidney I sold a week ago.

2. Buy food

3. Make my own company.

4. Create a superdaduper dream title, become famous, get more monies

5. Make dozens of provocative comments that will result in backlash of nearly all religious and non-religious organisations across the world, call Itagaki a pizza-boy

6. ???

7. Get killed by moral ninjas

Livin the dream
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    "Buy ZBrush" is the only thing that comes to mind. I'm rather happy as it is.
  • rooster
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    keep it and never tell anyone about it.

That or use some of that money to start a mental institution/rehabilitation center/homeless shelter. A place to take in the homeless figure out why they are homeless and help them return to being a productive member of society. While they are being helped they would help in the construction of housing for the people at the end of their stay finding work. They then would stay in the housing until they had enough money to make it out on their own. While they are living there they would be giving a part of their pay to the center as payment for the service.

^crack-pipe idea! W00T!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    KILL CORY ROBINSON!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    TWilson wrote: »

I feel the same way, which is why I answered with something ridiculous. It's not terribly productive pondering the "what ifs" though it can be fun. Honestly I think the serious answers are just too obvious anyway. Pay off loans, buy a place, etc etc.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    I feel the same way, which is why I answered with something ridiculous. It's not terribly productive pondering the "what ifs" though it can be fun. Honestly I think the serious answers are just too obvious anyway. Pay off loans, buy a place, etc etc.

I agree. I think answering a question like this is an exercise in getting to know yourself.

My high school guidance counselor used to ask us what we'd do if we had a million dollars... didn't have to work anymore...
  • Mikee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pay off college loans and move somewhere warm! Put most of it away/invest. Then give some off to charities!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would buy a place relatively inexpensive for permanent residence on the Ocean. Then, I'd surf everyday for the rest of my life. Then when out of season. Buy a world trip ticket and surf the world like the endless summer!
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    I hear stories of people who win the lotto, and then 12 months later they're flat broke, and I honestly can't understand it.

Say we scale down the original 50mil to a more conservative figure, like 5 million.

Even with the world economy the way it is, most banks - at least here in Australia - can offer up to 5% interest on long term deposits. That's 250 grand a year, or roughly between $2500 to $3000 per week after tax. That's more than any of us will likely earn in our careers, and you're not even touching the principal investment.

So, for me, I wouldn't just give money away to family and friends, I'd set up a family trust and give people payments from the interest instead. That way they will have a guaranteed income for the rest of their lives and wouldn't just blow it on expensive cars that they can't afford to maintain or insure in the future.
  • EsotericAgenda
    People, you could do all that stuff, that you say, with that $50 million
    But wouldnt you rather trade it in for whats in side this box!!!!!!!!

2410.jpg
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    One $50 million hooker, or 50 million $1 hookers?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ^ that's a lot of STD's or as the kids call them now days STI's...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Pay off family bills for my parents, put aside chunks for college education for the kids of my two best friends, buy a neighbor's property that I want to turn into a bitching pad.

Buy some property in AZ, register all my cars there so I don't have to worry about California's smog nazis, build some bitchin rides.

Eventually quit my job.. maybe.. or at the very least cut back my work week to half so I have more time to do other things.

Buy all the machining and other kinds of tools I've dreamed of, make cool stuff for people for a lesser price than machine shops and the like would normally cost, cause I know there's plenty of people like me out there who want to prototype or try out ideas, and can't afford machining or design costs.

I'm definitely a tinkerer and "that'd be neat to try out" guy, so having the funds to do random things I come up with would keep me a busy guy for sure.

Also, just to be a douche, I'd buy my parents house from them, but let them continue living there on the sole condition that the dog's allowed in the kitchen whenever it damn well wants to be in the kitchen. :poly142:
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yah, also, buy a Veryron, drive it EVERYWHERE as a daily driver, and not crash into a fucking lake.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    50million?

1. Buy a nice house near the sea
    2. Buy a white BMW x6 for everyday driving, an orange Lambo for weekends and a nice old mustang for special days and a few others (MB 63amg, MB CLS, Wiesmann, KTM XBow, Ariel Atom....)
    3. Buy a boat (something good but not huge) and travel the world
    4. Open a restaurant and a pub.
    5. Buy a bike and travel around Europe

I wouldn't need 50m to do most of this stuff anyway
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drugs and pretending to fall in love with golddiggers.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'd build an animal shelter and put my grandma to take care of it
    Pay my friends' debts and buy them bikes for us to ride along
    Make some kind of investment and use the interest to fund my personal projects and trips

And I guess that's all
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazymatt: that sounds just about right.

rens: making a castle pub was my first idea haha.

um donate at least 5 mil to the school i graduated from exclusively for their game dev major, take care of my rents and brother leftovers...hmm genetically engineer Battle cat from he man?

-woog
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'd invest it all manner of things and do whatever it is you do to double quadruple, multiply the money till I have close to a billion maybe half a billion.

Then through both legitimate activities, shcmoozing, wining and dining, and illegitemate activities, overthrow the government, then walk away and watch the resultant anarchy from my secret antarctic lair.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    I've always wanted to live in New Zealand . So buy a house and a studio there. Use the money to make art. (installations mostly).

Oh and fly to space. only 200k

http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I would be happy with just $250,000-$500,000 of that 50 Million.

I'd have to help the homeless so start a chain of homeless shelters to get them off the streets and put them to work maybe starting off with jury duties, volunteer work...ect...ect...[werid huh?]

Get a small place of my own, like many have said start a studio, travel, give $500,000 to each of my needful relatives, and keep 5 million for emergency cases.