Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Moai with Tache and Glasses

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Calabi polycounter lvl 12
I've got this dude which I'm in the process of UVing and then texturing.

I'm trying to figure out how to UV it and its giving me a headache. Should I used projection normal on some of it?, should I keep the corner bits connected to the larger bits? What do you do with the junk bits that you know arent going to be seen? Can I just leave them outside the square?

I'm mirroring the UVs because the model may go into a game so it needs to be as optimised as possible.

moaikieronwire.jpg

Replies

• killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    put the seam on the back of his head, or somewhere clever, unwrap it like a cylinder. I don't think you'd need to break up the uv so many times. (those orange lines are uv seam yea?)
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    There the hard edges but they are used for the UV. I tried cylinder mapping but it didnt want to work on some parts of it. I tried to combine it as much as possible and this is the result. I left the parts you wont see or are mirrored outside the box.

moaiuvmap.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    My work flow would be to delete one half of head.

Cylindircal map the other half (need to adjust the cylinder to not center on remaining half, but as it would be if the whole thing was still there - centered at center line).

edit uvs. stuff around the nose and ear would probably need to be fixed so it doesn't overlap.

mirror the halfhead and weld.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    99% of the time the UV layout should look something like this for the face, with some variations on how you deal with mirroring.

jpynoz.png

the front of the face should be cylindrical mapped in one piece, and I'd suggest never mirroring across the face so you can have some asymmetry going on.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    It is just a statue so it shouldnt have much need for asymetry plus the texture is only going to be 128.

Thanks for the help.