Home General Discussion

Question about models in games.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
Hi!

I'm just curious: If you have a model in a game, without the proper scripts you would be able to walk right through it, is that right? So if you want collision on that model, how would that work? How does it work in modern games? How did it work before?

Can anyone explain this to me? I've always thought that there was some sort of rough shape made out of boxes that corresponds with the shape of the model, am I way off? If not, what would this shape be called?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea usually you model low poly optimized colision that is an extremely simple version of the objects shape and bounds. atleast thats how ive always done it.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Every game engine handles collision differently. (Exporting, naming, creating, restrictions, etc.)

But yes, the very basics of it is that it is a rough low poly shape that matches the silhouette of the in-game model. The creation process is simply imagining just how accurate - and simple - the collision needs to be so that the player bumps into the object and it seems realistic.

Unreal accepts custom built collision, it can automatically create very simple collision based on the object, or the designer can always go in and place blocking volumes. It all depends on the object and how it is used and where it is in the level.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for clearing that up, guys!

What would one usually call this shape? My friend insists it's called a skybox, but somehow I doubt that.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In CryEngine it's called a physics proxy. Ironically, I was working on one when I saw this post.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Well we always just call it a collision mesh at my job, but we aren't using an engine like Unreal or Cryengine.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    A skybox is a box that the sky is textured onto that surrounds the level, does not interact with the player, and is about as far removed from collision as you can get ;)

A collision mesh is generally refered to as... a collision mesh, or collision geometry, or collision shapes, or even just 'collision' on its own if you're lazy.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Flaringo wrote: »
    My friend insists it's called a skybox, but somehow I doubt that.

Your friend is either misinformed, or deliberately messing with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybox_%28video_games%29
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    Your friend is either misinformed, or deliberately messing with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybox_%28video_games%29

Yeah, he is misinformed. :)

Thanks again!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Tell him to tighten up his graphix.
  • Cart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On some CS:S maps and TF2 maps, there is a place far off the map that is projected on the skybox, what is that called?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Flaringo: "If you have a model in a game, without the proper scripts you would be able to walk right through it, is that right? So if you want collision on that model, how would that work? How does it work in modern games? How did it work before?"

From a purely technical standpoint you're actually dealing with two issues here.

One is collision detection, and the other is collision response.

Collision detection is simply determining if any part of object A intersects or touches any part of object B. How precise this is has a number of methods, but the simplified collision mesh is the usual way these days. Often a collision detection scheme will work inwards on an object, starting with its bounding box (box containing every point in the model), as that is a simpler check, and if that collision check is positive, then the more finely detailed mesh(s) or primitives are checked.
    Earlier 3d games often used a single collision primitive instead of a collision mesh, a cylinder was common, as well as a sphere. Both are mathematically simple to check against in terms of other bodies or lines, and so are fast to use.

with sprite games there are a number of ways to do it. some simply define a region relative to the sprites origin as the hitbox, or just use the bounds of the sprite. Checks are just line vs square or square vs square.
    Per pixel collision detection can be done with a routine to get sprite color at location. If sprite A's bounds are over sprite B's then get the pixel in sprite A that is closest to the origin of sprite b. Translate those coordinates into sprite B, get the color in B at those coordinates, if its transparent/masked, no collision, if its not, a collision occurs, and you go from there.

A collision in this way is just a true or false outcome, what the game DOES with that is the tough part. :)

Applying damage, halting movement, all sorts of things happen in regards to collisions, but none of them are automatic.

The math behind it all, like most basic things in games, is relatively simple 3d geometry that looks a lot more imposing than it is. If you feel like learning it there should be plenty of web resources for it, or just ask and the thread can go that direction
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    If you have a model in a game, without the proper scripts you would be able to walk right through it, is that right?

That made my right eye twitch.
    My friend insists it's called a skybox

This made my right eye explode.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I just peed myself a little KP
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message