Home Technical Talk

Problems with Animation in 3DS.

17173110.png
http://www.truploader.com/view/260283

So i have this animation in flash, I understand how to make a ball bounce reasonably well.

However in 3DS, i try to replicate this with similar key frames, and i get some horrible over smoothed flow, rather then a bounce. Is this normal ? or am i missing something :) ?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't really suggest any tips for an animation that isn't posted. Quicktime .mov format would be preferable. Or even better the 3dsmax file.

Taking wild stabs in the dark:
    - It might be missing squash and stretch?
    - The timing sounds like its an issue you might have evenly spaced out you're keys when the timing dictates they be closer together at certain points?
    - The curves could probably use a good tweaking?
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah ill rend quick one out now.

And its obvious the squash and stretch wont change the awkwardess.
    Im have tried doing normal speed spaced frames, and FRAME by FRAME set at 12 fps.
    The curves is what i thought and i couldnt fix anything through it.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/80p4s9

Its wierd, it renders out fine, like the mov shows it pretty accurately, but in max it seems more... Over eased ? Like a ball following a line rather then bouncing of an object.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The viewport playback speed in max is a bit wonky can't really be trusted. Animation > Make Preview will give you a quick viewport render that will help you nail down the timing.

I bound it to Alt-P I use it so much, or maybe that's the default now... not sure.

As far as being faithful to the ref, it seems fine. It's a little stiff and could use some squash/stretch and not really reacting to the added objects but if the goal was to hit as close as possible to the ref I think you did it. If you're aiming to make this a ball bounce on its own it needs some work.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its far from finished, that was a quick demo, needs more anticipation and squash and stretch.

Ill give the preview a go, Thanks vig.